Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 04:15
what you might call middle of the road prog
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 04:37
Originally posted by FunkyHomoSapien FunkyHomoSapien wrote:

what you might call middle of the road prog

The middle of the road is the most dangerous place - you could get hit from two different directions, and you're the furthest distance from safety. Wink
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 07:07
New issue out yesterday

Tubular Bells on the cover. Plus IQ, TesseracT, The Residents, Storm Thorgerson, Cruise To The Edge, and lots more.

Edited by Stool Man - May 30 2013 at 07:08
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 19:15
^^^^ that looks great - but I am wondering when they will do an issue that focuses on Eloy, Atomic Rooster, VDGG or other more obscure bands. Its all so safe isnt it? Take a risk and expose the obscure bands for a change!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 00:16
Let's draw up a wishlist and send it to 'em

I'd say Cosmic Jokers, PiL, and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop should all be in there
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 14:31
Originally posted by Ajay Ajay wrote:

That's great, Dean.

Back on topic: so the unsigned bands are paying for the production of the CD, and the magazine is pocketing at least the same amount.
In many cases, it is a "trade-out" ... and on the band's next tour or concerts in the area, the magazine can also be sold, or an advertisement for the new album was in the magazine, already paid. Of course, for those familiar with radio in the old FM days, a lot of those trade outs included, sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, dis-eases, LP's (then!) by the handful, dinners for all concubines -- but unffortunately, they did not cover ....................................................

So, of course an unknown band has to pay ... what does the magazine gain from the unknown band, until it is known? ... very little!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 14:32
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

^^^^ that looks great - but I am wondering when they will do an issue that focuses on Eloy, Atomic Rooster, VDGG or other more obscure bands. Its all so safe isnt it? Take a risk and expose the obscure bands for a change!

I would like a real issue on Krautrock ... not just an article smaller than my pee on the street!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 11:24
so would I.  They did a Prog Folk issue a few years ago, so you never know....
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 09:25
they shld just drop the prog metal for a few issues that wld be nice
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 11:26

There was an article about VdGG recently if I'm not mistaken. Unless that was in Classic Rock.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 14:29
and as for obscure bands, they've always got a few pages on new bands
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 19:31

CRP has given quite a bit of coverage to VdGG, actually. A lot of major articles / interviews, and even a namecheck in their ads for subscriptions. There has also been a fair amount of PH solo coverage (I recall a pretty lengthy article / interview in the issue with Hawkwind on the cover). And, of course, PH won the 'Maverick' award at the CRP event last year. So, CRP has certainly done right by VdGG / PH. True that I haven't seen much on Eloy or Atomic Rooster, though.
jc
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:21
My advise for bands who are using their personal and limited funds (hard owned money) to pay 400 pounds for an advert in Classic Rock Presents Prog Mag, this price isw a rip of, not worth it considering that they will only get a tiny spread in the mag (hidden away even). It's not fair certainly not considering the amount they paid.
Many thing they will get a quarter spread magazine article, meanwhile it not will not even cover 10% of one page. Anyway to all :)

Edited by Kati - June 14 2013 at 20:24
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:25
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

My advise for bands who are using their personal and limited funds (hard owned money) to pay 400 pounds for an advert in Classic Rock Presents Prog Mag, this price isw a rip of, not worth it considering that they will only get a tiny spread in the mag (hidden away even). It's not fair certainly not considering the amount they paid.
Many think they will get a quarter spread magazine article, meanwhile it not will not even cover 10% of one page. Anyway to all :)

Ok I refuse to edit anymore spelling mistakes, my merlot is to blame instead

Edited by Kati - June 14 2013 at 20:28
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:30
ok I had to rectify thing to think lol or I would not be able to sleep
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:36

Scott, if you don't get it already, I'd recommend the US magazine `Progression'. It's a bit harder to track down, doesn't come out nearly as often and has more black and white pages, but I don't think I've read an issue of CRP that comes even close to being as good as this alternative. They've had plenty of long and in-depth interviews/articles over the years, as well as giving plenty of exposure to smaller/unknown bands.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:51
Also in my opinion bands should not pay to have one of their songs in one of their monthly issue CD. Quality should be the magazine's discreet and the consumer pay enough to cover those costs and beyond. I feel bad for bands who really cannot afford to spend this kind of money but are drawn to this fake belief that it will make a difference. 400 and 700 pounds depending what you choose will pay for 1000 printed cd's, this says enough. If it would make a difference, oh yes but I don't think it does this is why I feel REALLY bad for those eager bands who are trying their best to get noticed meanwhile have a family to care of and a day job.

Edited by Kati - June 14 2013 at 20:56
Artilectband View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 09:42
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Also in my opinion bands should not pay to have one of their songs in one of their monthly issue CD. Quality should be the magazine's discreet and the consumer pay enough to cover those costs and beyond. I feel bad for bands who really cannot afford to spend this kind of money but are drawn to this fake belief that it will make a difference. 400 and 700 pounds depending what you choose will pay for 1000 printed cd's, this says enough. If it would make a difference, oh yes but I don't think it does this is why I feel REALLY bad for those eager bands who are trying their best to get noticed meanwhile have a family to care of and a day job.
Don't all of us musicians wish this. Sadly, in the real world, it takes money to get these things done. :(
Prog recorded @ Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy's studio;produced by BTBAMs producer.Check it out and give us some feedback!
Bandcamp: http://artilectband.bandcamp.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/artilect
Artilectband View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 09:42
On a side note; I love this magazine with a passion.
Prog recorded @ Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy's studio;produced by BTBAMs producer.Check it out and give us some feedback!
Bandcamp: http://artilectband.bandcamp.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/artilect
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 17:34
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Scott, if you don't get it already, I'd recommend the US magazine `Progression'. It's a bit harder to track down, doesn't come out nearly as often and has more black and white pages, but I don't think I've read an issue of CRP that comes even close to being as good as this alternative. They've had plenty of long and in-depth interviews/articles over the years, as well as giving plenty of exposure to smaller/unknown bands.

Thanks for the heads up about 'Progression'....I've heard of it but never seen it anywhere near me.
I'll prolly have to order it on. line.

btw picked up the latest US copy of Prog Rock mag with Rush on the cover....typical issue with mostly well known bands and only a smattering of others.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>