FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 400>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
micky View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: News of the day
    Posted: October 26 2014 at 19:03
Thumbs Up
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 18:59
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-29782073

Dilma Rousseff re-elected Brazilian president

Dilma Rousseff supporter with flag 26 Oct 2014President Rousseff's win extends the rule of the Workers Party
Continue reading the main story

Left-leaning Dilma Rousseff has been re-elected president of Brazil, after securing more than 51% of votes in a closely-fought election.

An official count showed her rival, centrist candidate Aecio Neves, taking just over 48% of the vote.

Ms Rousseff, in power since 2010, is popular with poor Brazilians because of her government's welfare policies.

Both candidates made economic growth and lifting Brazilians out of poverty central to their election campaigns.

With less than 2% of votes left to be counted, there are not enough votes to allow Mr Neves to catch up with Ms Rousseff.

Polarised campaign

Ms Rousseff's re-election for a second term extends the rule of her Workers Party (PT), which has been in power for 12 years.

"Thank you very much," Ms Rousseff tweeted after the results were announced.

The BBC's Wyre Davies in Rio de Janeiro says it was the tightest of contests, but in electing Dilma Rousseff, Brazilians had opted for continuity and backed a system and party that has brought economic growth and generous welfare programmes.

Supporters of Aecio Neves react to the resultsAecio Neves' supporters were despondent as their candidate accepted defeat

But, he continues, Brazil looks and feels divided - whereas Dilma Rousseff did well in the poorer northern states, her opponent took many of the wealthier and more developed southern parts of Brazil.

Aecio Neves, of the Brazilian Social Democracy Party (PSDB), was the governor of the southern swing-state of Minas Gerais for eight years.

Correspondents say wealthy Brazilians were more likely to back Mr Neves, who had vowed to put the economy back on track after four years of low growth rates with the country now technically in recession.

The election campaign has been marked by aggressive accusations on both sides, a rivalry that reached part of the electorate, with nasty disputes proliferating on social media, says the BBC's Julia Dias Carneiro in Rio de Janeiro.

The election comes after weeks of intensive campaigning by the two candidates and a presidential race that took a tragic turn after Eduardo Campos, a main opposition candidate, was killed in a plane crash in August.

His running mate, a renowned environmentalist, Marina Silva, was thrust into his place, vowing to become the South American country's first "poor, black" president.

But she came third in the first round after Ms Rousseff and Mr Neves secured 41.5% and 33.5% of the vote respectively.

As neither candidate got an absolute majority, the election went into a second round.

Edited by Atkingani - October 26 2014 at 19:00
Guigo
~~~~~~
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 21:58
We had a couple of shootings from the same suspects that started in Sacramento and ended in Auburn.  Four total shot, three deputies and one civilian.  Two of the deputies died from their injuries. 

EDIT: Man, what a crazy day.  Between the school shooting in Washington and then our shooting here in Northern California, it's been a stressful and sad day.  We were on the air for breaking news (I'm a newscast director at the local Fox station) starting at around 10:30am this morning and stayed on until 4:30pm, when we had to get off the air for the World Series.  And that didn't count our normally scheduled shows for today.  I'm relieved that it's over for now, but very tired. Ermm

Edited by MillsLayne - October 25 2014 at 04:21
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 21:33
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

For our Canadian members, my thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Brucex23 RGB_12
Ditto! My sentiments goes to all the families too. Heart 
Thank you-I live in Ottawa.
"and what music unites, man should not take apart"--Helmut Koellen                               
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 15:49
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Brucex23 RGB_12
School shooting in Canada. The sickness is spreading.Unhappy
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 15:33
Another school shooting. Only 2 dead though. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 20:27

Brucex23 RGB_12
When playing strip poker, make sure you are wearing a lot of clothes! or google will ban you ;)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 20:19

Brucex23 RGB_12
oh yeah

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 10:44
http://empirenews.net/hollywood-shocker-gilligans-island-star-discovered-to-be-zodiac-killer/#.VBpXMYbckss.facebook

the professor was busy

evidently this is a spoof and not true

Edited by timothy leary - September 20 2014 at 10:53
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 03:31
^ both those were on FB days ago (yeah, that's my only source of news these days).

Of course the U2 give-away thing is a cynical move by Apple to get more people to sign-up to iTunes to get their bank details, this is directly related to Appal Pay which has the potential of netting Apple billions world-wide.

If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 03:01
Oh, there's another fun one - Kanye makes an ass out himself.

Anyone else pays attention to Yahoo! News?
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 02:43
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 14:09

Edited by Padraic - September 12 2014 at 14:09
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 14:02
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I think Alex Salmond (leader of the SNP) would like nothing more than to jump into bed with Brussels. Which ironically is the mirror opposite of independence..

He has also said that he wants NATO membership, but doesn't want the UK's nuclear weapons on Scottish soil. I'm sorry, but the man is a tw*t.

If Scotland were to leave the UK, would England deport Tony Blair?

No we love him very much. When he dies he's going to be stuffed and mounted on a plinth in central Baghdad along with your former dear leader.
Apparently, Scotland is voting on a referendum to separate from the UK next week.  This CNN writer wrote an opinion piece that says that the US should petition to replace Scotland in the UK if Scotland does vote to leave the UK.  http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/opinion/wheeler-scotland-referendum/index.html?hpt=hp_c2 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 10:02
I think he's only God for a year and then obviously the title goes back to Phi Collins and he can bestow it on some other Prog Noble.

By the way is there a Prog or Music News thread as I wondered whether this belonged here before I posted?

Help me I'm falling!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 09:35
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

If Gabriel is God then I'm Richard Dawkins.

If Gabriel is Prog God then I'm a deist.

Edited by someone_else - September 12 2014 at 10:31
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 09:06
If Gabriel is God then I'm Richard Dawkins.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 08:57
Everyone knows the only prog god is Phil Collins.  This was rigged. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 07:47
While all the winners of the awards are undoubtedly deserved, the categories themselves look like a collection of "Quick, before they die" awards.

If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 04:21

Peter Gabriel named Prog God

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-09-11/prog-awards-2014-winners-in-full

Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 400>
  Share Topic