Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 395396397398399 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 04:33
A disturbing story has broken in the UK news in recent days. Between 1997 and 2013 over 1400 children in the northen English town of Rotheram were subjected to horrific sexual, physical and psychological abuse at the hands of gangs, who it seems were nearly all of Pakistani origin.

The racial element has introduced a creepy and disturbing element to the story, as it seems that the police and council were alerted to the problems on numerous occasions but took no action for fear of being labelled 'racist' The futures of over 1000 children were sacrificed in the name of community cohesion and the legacy of a handful of so called liberal councillors.

I'm interested in understanding the psychology of the modern day 'liberal' The psychology that drives a group of supposedly well meaning individuals who are supposed to be the caring sharing 'good guys' to deliberately not draw attention to one of the most vile and appalling crimes an adult can commit; and on a wide scale. It is believed the problem goes way beyond Rotheram, and no doubt perpetrators come from all ethnic groups.

Those who covered these crimes up are the fascilitators of the crimes and in my opinion, need to be identified, arrested, charged and convicted as accessories to the crimes, and should face lengthy custodial sentences. It's now time to to start taking child abuse seriously as a society, and spit in the face of politcal correctness where where we are required to do so.

I don't expect any interest in this story. It's a difficult subject, made all the more so by the disturbing and controversial reasons the crimes were not investigated.

Edited by Blacksword - August 28 2014 at 04:35
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 07:01
Ukraine sergeant: "This is now a war with Russia"

Business insider

This just gets better by the day. Time to stock up on tinned beans and head for the hills? Not sure which hills though. Pretty flat where I am..

Edited by Blacksword - August 28 2014 at 07:03
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 07:20
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

A disturbing story has broken in the UK news in recent days. Between 1997 and 2013 over 1400 children in the northen English town of Rotheram were subjected to horrific sexual, physical and psychological abuse at the hands of gangs, who it seems were nearly all of Pakistani origin.

The racial element has introduced a creepy and disturbing element to the story, as it seems that the police and council were alerted to the problems on numerous occasions but took no action for fear of being labelled 'racist' The futures of over 1000 children were sacrificed in the name of community cohesion and the legacy of a handful of so called liberal councillors.

I'm interested in understanding the psychology of the modern day 'liberal' The psychology that drives a group of supposedly well meaning individuals who are supposed to be the caring sharing 'good guys' to deliberately not draw attention to one of the most vile and appalling crimes an adult can commit; and on a wide scale. It is believed the problem goes way beyond Rotheram, and no doubt perpetrators come from all ethnic groups.

Those who covered these crimes up are the fascilitators of the crimes and in my opinion, need to be identified, arrested, charged and convicted as accessories to the crimes, and should face lengthy custodial sentences. It's now time to to start taking child abuse seriously as a society, and spit in the face of politcal correctness where where we are required to do so.

I don't expect any interest in this story. It's a difficult subject, made all the more so by the disturbing and controversial reasons the crimes were not investigated.
Reading the paper today, it does sound like a lot of people knew about this and did nothing. Beyond belief.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 08:27

I think a major contributory factor for this being allowed to happen is way the liberal UK media and establishment has brought about a culture where there is terror of causing offence. Even though this particular threat was known to be from Muslim men of Pakistani origin, those in positions of responsibility (police, social services) probably feared they would be accused of demonising that community if they targeted them in investigations.

It's particularly rich that the Guardian and the BBC are now wringing their hands and demanding those in positions of responsibility be held to account, when they themselves were instrumental in bringing about the PC culture that has helped cause such episodes. They are still at it now, using the mealy-mouthed term "of Asian origin" to describe the offenders. How can you tackle a problem properly if you haven't got the guts to address it head on?

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 09:18
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

I
think a major contributory factor for this being allowed to happen is way the liberal UK media and establishment has
brought about a culture where there is terror of causing offence.
Even though this particular threat was known to be from Muslim men of
Pakistani origin, those in positions of responsibility (police, social
services) probably feared they would be accused of demonising that
community if they targeted them in investigations.It's particularly rich that the Guardian and the BBC are now wringing their hands and demanding those in positions of responsibility be held to account, when they themselves were instrumental in bringing about the PC culture that has helped cause such episodes. They are still at it now, using the mealy-mouthed term "of Asian origin" to describe the offenders. How can you tackle a problem properly if you haven't got the guts to address it head on?

There should be no correlation between a media bias and how the police tackle crime. All news outlets have an agenda, either liberal or conservative. The police should just be investigating crime and bringing crims to justice, regardless of their race or religion. That would be a demonstration of true equality; precisely what liberals say they want. Boom! Job done.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 09:51
^
True, but the 24-hour multi-channel news media is very powerful in driving the political agenda in the UK and a lot of it is about manufactured outrage and taking offence (they have to fill the all-day news channels with something). Their influence on the behaviour of the police and political classes cannot be easily discounted. I agree that those in the know in Rotherham should have acted decisively, but if they had they would no doubt faced strident media accusations of racism and Islamophobia from the afore-mentioned Guardian and BBC.

On BBC Radio 5's breakfast news programme earlier this year the two most important news stories in the world that day (according to them) were the reportedly sexist contents of the head of the FA's private emails, and whether or not the Labour Party leader thought the UKIP Party leader was racist. Basically taking offence at stuff rather than real news. The third item on the Radio 5 programme (and obviously considered less important) was "500 dead in Turkish mining disaster". At this point I swore at the radio and turned over to Talk Sport!

Edited by Cactus Choir - August 28 2014 at 09:54
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 10:33
Not that it makes child abuse any more palatable, but was the abuse in question similar to the Catholic Priest scandal or radio host scandal where the person was sexually abusing children or was it a cultural issue of 12-year old girls being married off to 30-year old men in exchange for 2 goats and a cow? 

Re-read opening post about acts being committed by gangs, so sounds different than 12-year old girls being traded for cows and goats.

Edited by rushfan4 - August 28 2014 at 10:35
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Not that it makes child abuse any more palatable, but was the abuse in question similar to the Catholic Priest scandal or radio host scandal where the person was sexually abusing children or was it a cultural issue of 12-year old girls being married off to 30-year old men in exchange for 2 goats and a cow?  Re-read opening post about acts being committed by gangs, so sounds different than 12-year old girls being traded for cows and goats.

Yeah, it was gangs grooming young girls, plying them with drugs then abusing and trafficking them to other cities in northern england. It wasn't anything to do with forced marriages etc, and obviously this type of abuse is not restricted to any one ethnic group, or those tied to any religion, but in this case the gangs happened to be predominantly Pakistani and presumably Muslim.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:13

Not that it makes child abuse any more palatable, but was the abuse in question similar to the Catholic Priest scandal or radio host scandal where the person was sexually abusing children or was it a cultural issue of 12-year old girls being married off to 30-year old men in exchange for 2 goats and a cow?  Re-read opening post about acts being committed by gangs, so sounds different than 12-year old girls being traded for cows and goats.

Yeah, it was gangs grooming young girls, plying them with drugs then abusing and trafficking them to other cities in northern england. It wasn't anything to do with forced marriages etc, and obviously this type of abuse is not restricted to any one ethnic group, or those tied to any religion, but in this case the gangs happened to be predominantly Pakistani and presumably Muslim.
After I posted, I found an article on the BBC website regarding this.  It is scary and sad to think that this stuff goes on and even more so that it goes on despite people who can do something about it knowing about it and ignoring it. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:27

After I posted, I found an article on the BBC website regarding this.  It is scary and sad to think that this stuff goes on and even more so that it goes on despite people who can do something about it knowing about it and ignoring it. 

Indeed, it's heartbreaking that vulnerable young people are being betrayed by those whose job it is to protect them. Wha happened in Rotheram may be the tp of the iceberg.

On a general note about chld abuse, a lot of wrongdoing has been coming to light in recent years in the UK. You may be aware of the celebrity cabal at the BBC who were outed as paedophiles, most notably Jimmy Savile who many regarded as a 'national treasure' for years. He was a DJ, TV presenter and charity fund raiser with friends in government and the royal family. An MP - now deceased - was also implicated in child abuse in the late 70's, and Savile himself was a sometimes visitor at the Haute de la Garenne orphanage on the channel isle of Jersey, where suspected remains of dead children were found in underground torture chambers or 'punishment rooms' as they were called by employees. The scale of the abuse seems mindblowing, and allegations are also being made against former prime minister Ted Heath. Sickening.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:56
What a sick, sick world we live in. I've come to the conclusion that the human race is fundamentally flawed and it would be better if we just wiped the slate clean and started again.

Too bad I can't travel in time. I'd just go back in time and commit a grandfather paradox so the universe would collapse in on itself and never have existed.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 12:03
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

What a sick, sick world we live in. I've come to the conclusion that the human race is fundamentally flawed and it would be better if we just wiped the slate clean and started again.

Too bad I can't travel in time. I'd just go back in time and commit a grandfather paradox so the universe would collapse in on itself and never have existed.   

It can seem like that, but it's alwas been a sick place. Child abuse is not new. One would just hope that there would be better systems in place that allow the establishment to be properly held to account, instead of a system that aloows them to cover up their crimes. I guess they feel they're untouchable.

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 12:15
Yes, it always has been a sick place. Humanity has always been fundamentally flawed. From the very beginning.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 03:37
NATO hold emergency meeting to discus Ukraine crisis, accusing Rusia of having over 1000 of its troops on Ukrainian soil fighting alongside seperatists.

Russia invades Ukraine..??

Russia denies sending forces into Ukariane.

This crisis is hotting up quite nicely. A very dangerous situation which may have an outcome many may not expect. Let's hope not.

Edited by Blacksword - August 29 2014 at 03:39
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 02:23
I know this is one-day-old news, but it's not too late.

Is there really enough gun control in the US? ... I wonder how other countries would handle such an issue.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 30 2014 at 02:48
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 05:10
"Gun experts contacted by CNN on Wednesday said young children should be taught to shoot with single-shot firearms rather than submachine guns."

Really? ffs! I do not understand how stupid the gun culture of the USA is. Honestly, f**k the second amendment, it does not say "the right of the children to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 06:00
Regarding the child abuse thing, I read something in the lines that it was their parents who 'sold' them to the gangs for making some money, so the parents knew but shut up because they made some money with it, that it was a sort of accepted source of income for the pakistani community there. Is that so?

The problem is not only on those who abuse children by force, but also that there are people with money who are willing to pay for having sex with children or watching films of child sex etc. This fuels the mafias who catch and exploit the children.

Ukraine is indeed getting serious, it's a tough subject because it mixes the political and economical interests with the will of the people inhabiting the land. On one hand there is the question whether a population with a solid and majority culture and will can be forced to belonging to a state against their will just because of the result of past wars and political agreements. Socially Ukraine is divided, the west wants mostly to get closer to the western culture and system, and the east wants to belong to the Russian culture and system. Should the will of the people have any saying over politics? But of course the reality is that neither the West nor Russia give a damn about the people, what they are interested in is the land itself. Russia doesn't want the NATO being able to position itself so close to Moskow.

So on one hand one might think that in democracy the will of the people should dictate politics and not the other way around, but it's hard when people can be so easily manipulated and you know that behind the real drivers are not the people but only money and power.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 06:10
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I know this is one-day-old news, but it's not too late.

Is there really enough gun control in the US? ... I wonder how other countries would handle such an issue.
This is quite unthinkable in Europe, fortunately. Honestly I have no pity for the parents who bring their 9-year old girl to a gun training range. At any rate it's even worse in Africa and some parts of Asia where they do not only teach children to shoot guns but to actually kill people with them...
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 06:13
^ Forgot about Africa and Asia. Embarrassed I guess I did mean Euro-countries.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 09:25
The parents can't complain, the girl received the complete training, she learned not only how guns work but also what they do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 395396397398399 446>