Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313314315316317 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 17:12
I'm offended that companies and government and the media pay so much attention and hurry to change everything when someone gets understandably offended at something that only affects them.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 17:19
I try to look at each reported incident individually and try not to make blanket statements. Sometimes changing something even if only one person is affected isn't such a bad thing and sometimes not changing something when everyone is affected isn't such a bad thing.
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 17:30
^ I could see a politician saying that
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 17:34
^ that doesn't alter its meaning or validity.
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 17:38
Lighten up, it was a jest
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 17:39
touché
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 21:12
Damn, I would love to work from home.  I know computer tech people who are allowed to and a few who are not.  What do you think of her reasons?  Seems to be a lot of comments for and against....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505124_162-57571011/yahoo-takes-big-step-back-by-ending-work-at-home/

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 21:16
Good. They should have to get out of bed and out of the house like the rest of us to make money.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 21:18
Envy muchLOL.....me too actually, I'd love to, and I actually could.  But they would never allow it. 

So I'll keep wasting gas and time driving to their office to sit on a PC all day.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 21:26
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Damn, I would love to work from home.  I know computer tech people who are allowed to and a few who are not.  What do you think of her reasons?  Seems to be a lot of comments for and against....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505124_162-57571011/yahoo-takes-big-step-back-by-ending-work-at-home/

I really think they should have grandfathered in the folks who currently have work from home privileges.  The part about productivity, I don't know...to me that should be handled at a lower level of management, department or section heads know full well who's productive and who isn't and if they feel work from home is a hindrance for some folks they should be able to revoke it.  Whereas you might have other sections were they have highly productive staff working remotely.  The "one size fits all" dictate from the top just strikes me as a bit odd - and I can't imagine Yahoo is really attracting the very best talent to begin with, this will just put them at a further disadvantage.

tl;dr:  I can understand concerns about worker productivity but that should be handled by unit managers, not the CEO.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 23:28
I am allowed to work from home six times a month (I think that's it).  I don't do it.  I honestly am not sure I would put in a full day's work!  I'm sure some people have the willpower.  I'm just not sure I am one of them!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 10:21
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I really think they should have grandfathered in the folks who currently have work from home privileges.  The part about productivity, I don't know...to me that should be handled at a lower level of management, department or section heads know full well who's productive and who isn't and if they feel work from home is a hindrance for some folks they should be able to revoke it.  Whereas you might have other sections were they have highly productive staff working remotely.  The "one size fits all" dictate from the top just strikes me as a bit odd - and I can't imagine Yahoo is really attracting the very best talent to begin with, this will just put them at a further disadvantage.

tl;dr:  I can understand concerns about worker productivity but that should be handled by unit managers, not the CEO.
Pretty much what I was going to say on the matter.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 11:26
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I am allowed to work from home six times a month (I think that's it).  I don't do it.  I honestly am not sure I would put in a full day's work!  I'm sure some people have the willpower.  I'm just not sure I am one of them!

One of my previous employers allowed me to work from home if there was a particular body of work I needed to get through urgently - I just used to set up one of our spare bedrooms as an office & only come out at the times I would have done so if I was in the office.

There was the occasional long lunch hour, though

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 13:58
The guys from Top Gear have been test driving in the States again

Help me I'm falling!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 16:10
Least surprising news of the day.  http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/01/news/economy/detroit-takeover/  This decision was made when the voters voted in November to allow the governor to appoint emergency managers.  It is pretty sad that the once great city has become what it has become.  One can only hope that the emergency manager is less corrupt than the government that has run the city into the ground over a period of the last 40 years. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 10:10
Agreed Scott.  I wish him well, I do hope he can take some actions to help the city.  

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 10:22
Detroit has its own Mario Monti.  Do yourself a favor and hang on to him if he's effective - a lesson the Italians failed to learn.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 16:33
Hugo Chavez dies
Help me I'm falling!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 16:49
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Hugo Chavez dies

Oh please

Chavez is dead since he left Cuba.

The student's march today forced Maduro to accept Chavez dead.

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 16:53
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Hugo Chavez dies

Oh please

Chavez is dead since he left Cuba.

The student's march today forced Maduro to accept Chavez dead.

Iván

Don't shoot the messenger! Confused
Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313314315316317 446>