Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 346347348349350 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 14:01
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

RIP Alan Myers former Devo drummer.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 14:28
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 14:37
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

RIP Alan Myers former Devo drummer.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sadly true.  Cancer an he was only 58 !

Edited by akamaisondufromage - June 26 2013 at 14:39
Help me I'm falling!
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 15:29
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

The supreme court kind of making sense two days in a row. New world record.

It would have been a great victory for states' rights if they had upheld Prop 8.  But I'm glad DOMA is gone, at least.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 15:41
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

It would have been a great victory for states' rights if they had upheld Prop 8.  But I'm glad DOMA is gone, at least.
Individual rights have to come before state rights, which are another form of collective rights.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 15:52
I thought they had upheld the lower courts ruling on Prop 8... or am I misunderstanding the use of "upheld" here?
What?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 16:03
By default they "upheld" the lower courts ruling because they chose not to make a decision on the case due to a technicality.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 16:48

Individual rights have to come before state rights, which are another form of collective rights.

But it's the court's job to interpret and uphold the constitution, and they can't just make up new constitutional rights.  Well, they do, but they shouldn't and it's terrible that they do.

I think that government should get out of marriage entirely and don't think same-sex weddings should be disallowed but if a state has a law either for or against gay marriage it's not the responsibility of the federal government or the federal courts to strike it down.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 17:39
^We end up in the same place though. What is a state but another territorial division full (or not like Wyoming) of people? If the people in said state decide on something we fall in the same risks of democracy and tyranny of the majority as on a national level. So if that state-majority decides on something that in some ways violates constitutional rights (arguably, or human rights for some) it's not a decision I would support just because it was made at a state and not at a federal level.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 19:29

Screw states' rights.   Hooray for doing the right thing.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 19:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I thought they had upheld the lower courts ruling on Prop 8... or am I misunderstanding the use of "upheld" here?

The lower courts ruling on Prop 8 was that Prop 8 is hogwash.   The SC upheld that ruling.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 21:39
Major Australian headlines today and an historical event that occurred at 7pm last night as Australia's Prime Minister for Labor was ousted by another Labor candidate who was previously PM before Miss Gillard came into office.

So they are calling it revenge or Kevenge if you will...

Here's the headlines....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 22:49

^We end up in the same place though. What is a state but another territorial division full (or not like Wyoming) of people? If the people in said state decide on something we fall in the same risks of democracy and tyranny of the majority as on a national level. So if that state-majority decides on something that in some ways violates constitutional rights (arguably, or human rights for some) it's not a decision I would support just because it was made at a state and not at a federal level.

I agree, except prop 8 didn't violate anyone's constitutional rights.  I don't like prop 8, and as a libertarian, I obviously don't support government intrusion upon personal matters at the state or federal level.  But I also don't think the federal government has the right to overturn that state's decision. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 00:11
^I voted No on 8.   The 52% that voted Yes bothers me deeply, but it is a significant margin.   The real problem as I see it is that a ban on gay marriage is so absurd and unconstitutional it never should've been allowed to go to vote.   Just because a bunch of misguided puritans think marriage is only for straights doesn't mean it should be observed or legislated.  

Proposition 8 was a terrible mistake mostly by creating a legal opportunity for ugly, stupid and tired discrimination.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 00:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^I voted No on 8.   The 52% that voted Yes bothers me deeply, but it is a significant margin.   The real problem as I see it is that a ban on gay marriage is so absurd and unconstitutional it never should've been allowed to go to vote.   Just because a bunch of misguided puritans think marriage is only for straights doesn't mean it should be observed or legislated.  

Proposition 8 was a terrible mistake mostly by creating a legal opportunity for ugly, stupid and tired discrimination.

Please explain to me exactly what part of Prop 8 violates the U.S. Constitution?  I agree that it was a bad idea, that government shouldn't ban gay marriage, etc (I myself don't morally support gay marriage but I see no reason why the government should attempt to make everyone follow Christian morals).  But sorry, "bad law" doesn't mean "unconstitutional."  States are bound to uphold constitutional liberties according to the fourteenth amendment, but unless there was a constitutional amendment passed last week that I didn't hear about, they aren't bound to the constitutional limits on the federal government (feds aren't supposed to go beyond the bounds of their responsibilities outlined in the document), and unless there was another constitutional amendment passed last week that I didn't hear about, the right for gay people to get married isn't in there either.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 00:37
Well if states are bound to uphold constitutional liberties according to the Fourteenth Amendment, why should a ballot supporting a law violating exactly that be supported or even considered?

The Equal Protection Clause of the 14 Amendment requires each state to provide equal protection under the law to all people within its jurisdiction.  

Presumably gay citizens' ability to legally and equally marry qualifies under this.   Unless of course one starts getting Biblical.

Edited by Atavachron - June 27 2013 at 00:38
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 00:53
^There's no need for bibles. One can say that gay people had the same freedom to marry as heterosexual people. Nothing stopped a gay man from marrying a woman. So everybody was equal in that everybody could marry someone of the opposite sex.. If marriage is redefined, as it has been de facto, then yes, gay people were not equal because they couldn't marry whom they chose, including someone of the same sex.

I don't think only "biblical" people are somewhat uneasy with the idea of gay marriage. Though I agree most who vehemently oppose it in public are.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 09:56
^^Teo is right; "the right to enter a same-sex wedding" doesn't fall under that amendment's jurisdiction because you would have to redefine "marriage" itself to make it fit; we didn't come up with the concept of marriage on our own, it's a social institution that's just about as old as humanity itself and until the last few decades, same-sex marriage would have been unthinkable.  Even in societies where homosexuality has been acceptable (ancient Greece, for example), they never would have thought of practicing gay marriage.  Marriage was strictly between a man and a woman.  You could argue that the culture's concept of marriage and its purpose has changed (which it has) but from a legal standpoint the U.S. still hasn't redefined marriage to include same-sex unions yet.  So no, it's not a constitutional right.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 10:04
...and which amendment to your constitution defines marriage?
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 10:25
The eleventh commandment^
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 346347348349350 446>