Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIQ Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 11:11
Funny how Marillion is able to post short videos for all their fans to see. With new technology coming down in price, it is now possible to hook up your computer to your tv (or vice-versa, I'm still figuring it out) and watch streaming or downloaded video.
I can even see a day when a modest yearly subscription gives you access to high quality, virus / spyware / malware free video. Yeah, you'll likely be able to find it for free somewhere, but the true fan will pay for it. And if it's priced right, most of the freeloaders would.

Can you imagine seeing a Marillion show or four each year and saving your favourite.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
demelza View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 14:05
I'll be in Bury too...and Cookie is back...hooray!!!
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

IQ and I go back a very long way.  I bought the cassette "Seven Stories Into Eight" directly from the band right back at the start of the 80s.  The rest, as they say, is history.

IQ have been one of my favourite bands for over a quarter of a century.  Other than a temporary dip during the hiatus of Peter Nicholls in the late 80s they have continued to produce quality albums whilst at the same time sticking to their prog roots.  Whilst described as neo, to me they play classic symphonic prog, although I appreciate that given their heritage as a standard bearer of the "progressive rock revival" I'm sure they will remain as neo prog.  I think they are worthy of their own appreciation thread.

My favourite albums by IQ are:-

1.  The Seventh House
2.  Subterranea (I'm really loving this at the moment)
3.  The Wake
4.  Tales From The Lush Attic
5.  Frequency

They have always been great live and I've seen them several times over the years.  I have a ticket to see them at The Met in Bury in October, so if anyone on PA will be there I'll see you then!! 

I'd be really interested to read anybody else's thoughts/trips down memory lane and I'll post again in more detail when I get the time.

1- Frequency is my favor too. If you listen to CAMEL's " RAJAZ" you find the root of this album.( This is my idea)
2- If you listen to "Ever" you can find RUSH's " SIGNALS" style.( You dont list this album)
3- IQ is very powerful prog band. but every album of this band similar to other prog rock bands like Rush,Genesis(Gabriel era), Camel and.....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 02:33
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

IQ and I go back a very long way.  I bought the cassette "Seven Stories Into Eight" directly from the band right back at the start of the 80s.  The rest, as they say, is history.

IQ have been one of my favourite bands for over a quarter of a century.  Other than a temporary dip during the hiatus of Peter Nicholls in the late 80s they have continued to produce quality albums whilst at the same time sticking to their prog roots.  Whilst described as neo, to me they play classic symphonic prog, although I appreciate that given their heritage as a standard bearer of the "progressive rock revival" I'm sure they will remain as neo prog.  I think they are worthy of their own appreciation thread.

My favourite albums by IQ are:-

1.  The Seventh House
2.  Subterranea (I'm really loving this at the moment)
3.  The Wake
4.  Tales From The Lush Attic
5.  Frequency

They have always been great live and I've seen them several times over the years.  I have a ticket to see them at The Met in Bury in October, so if anyone on PA will be there I'll see you then!! 

I'd be really interested to read anybody else's thoughts/trips down memory lane and I'll post again in more detail when I get the time.

1- Frequency is my favor too. If you listen to CAMEL's " RAJAZ" you find the root of this album.( This is my idea)
2- If you listen to "Ever" you can find RUSH's " SIGNALS" style.( You dont list this album)
3- IQ is very powerful prog band. but every album of this band similar to other prog rock bands like Rush,Genesis(Gabriel era), Camel and.....

RUSH? not too sure of that, anyway Rush ceased to be prog and became pop - after Moving Pictures!!!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 03:10
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

But hey, at least Britney Spears came here the other day.

At least it's not all bad then Scott Wink.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 13:21
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

[QUOTE=Roj M30]

RUSH? not too sure of that, anyway Rush ceased to be prog and became pop - after Moving Pictures!!!

YES RUSH. if you listen to SIGNALS and focus on technicaly elements you got that. i agree with you : SIGNALS and POWER WINDOWS have POP-TOUCH and i dont mean EVER completely match to SIGNALS. but IQ get many idea from SIGNALS in EVER album.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 03:03
The Bury Met gig was fantastic!! 

A full rendition of Frequency was followed by some earlier classics.  Best of the lot had to be that they played The Narrow Margin, I really wasn't expecting that Tongue.  The Wake/Headlong as an encore was pretty impressive too.

I'll post a full review of the gig once I get more time....
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 07:04
^ Glad you liked it Roj.  They did The Narrow Margin in Pittsburgh and I almost fell out of my seat.  It was great to hear.  I really liked the little Theramin thing that Mike Holmes was using on Erosion (assuming of course that they did that one for your show as well).
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 07:34
Originally posted by Badabing666 Badabing666 wrote:

This is great thread as I have been getting back into IQ recently having fallen in love with Frequency.  Motivated by their new album I have revisited some of their previous stuff and currently like them in this order.
1. Frequency  4.32
2. The Seventh House  4.24
3. Subterranea 4.20
4. Dark Matter  3.80
5. The Wake  3.50
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I was introduced to IQ by PA and will be ever thankful for that. And I was lucky enough to purchase the Frequency enhanced limited edition for an absolute bargain price and can now also enjoy a live DVD.
"We've got to get in to get out"
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 10:05
^ Agreed, while I'm somewhat lukewarm on Frequency itself, the concert DVD is a great and absolutely worth the extra five bucks.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2009 at 02:53
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

^ Glad you liked it Roj.  They did The Narrow Margin in Pittsburgh and I almost fell out of my seat.  It was great to hear.  I really liked the little Theramin thing that Mike Holmes was using on Erosion (assuming of course that they did that one for your show as well).

No, no Erosion this time.  Other than the full Frequency album they played The Darkest Hour, the wonderful Sacred Sound (my all-time IQ no.2 so I was happy), Guiding Light, Narrow Margin, It All Stops Here, The Wake and Headlong ( another fave of mine).

When I get some pics sorted out I'll post a review of the gig.........
Courtesy Flush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 22:28
"Harvest of Souls" makes me jizz in my pants. It is absolutely mesmerizing. 
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 07:30
^ I've heard that if you umm. . . take care of yourself . . . you know, before you listen to Harvest of Souls . . . that you may . . . umm . . . be able to avoid that problem . . . last a bit longer, you know.

I'm just sayin'

gulliman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:01
I like them a lot. My fav. IQ albums:

1. Frequency
2. Ever
3. Dark Matter
4. Subterranea
5. The Seventh House

I don't care for their early albums though - they were too much Genesis wanabes for my taste back then!
Albums with Mennel are not of my liking as well...
http://www.panto.ee/eng
http://www.cdbaby.com/pantokraator
http://www.myspace.com/pantokraator
The Old Road View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 13:27

^ I've heard that if you umm. . . take care of yourself . . . you know, before you listen to Harvest of Souls . . . that you may . . . umm . . . be able to avoid that problem . . . last a bit longer, you know.

I'm just sayin'
To be fair, it is a twenty minute track so he's not doing too bad!
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 13:42
Originally posted by The Old Road The Old Road wrote:

I'm just sayin'
To be fair, it is a twenty minute track so he's not doing too bad!

Clap  Well said   LOL

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 13:10
And without going into my personal habits (Wink), this extraordinary piece of music has been virtually constantly played by Lazland for some two weeks now. I've barely listened to anything else, except Frequency to give myself a break.

Neo prog at its finest.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 09:23
My alphabetical trip through my CD collection has brought me to IQ.  I am looking forward to these next few days as I make my way through their discography. 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 14:06
I got into IQ back in about 83; saw them in Bristol (The Granary? and possibly at the colston hall in 84/ its all a bit foggy now..) i roadied a bit for a mates band who supported Pendragon in 84 & ended up with 'Tales from the Lush Attic' (the blue numbered version) all signed & after that 'Barbell is in' 12", then 'The Wake' And eventually '9 in a pond' double.. Sort of lost track after that but was given a promo copy of 'Nomzamo' with photo's n record company guff.. wasn't very impressed and they looked a bit naff.. Completely lost track for about 20 years (i knew they were still recording but was into other things) but have re-discovered them with 'Dark Matter' which i have on vinyl and Love!! i was always really impressed by them in the early eighties (but i liked loads of those so called 'Neo' prog bands at the time) & think they still sound fantastic which i'm afraid i can't say for some of the other bands still going/ reformed from that periodWink. Not gonna name any names cos (A) i dont want to offend anyone- its only my opinion and (B) certain bands 'work' really hard and put a lot into keeping their small but very loyal fanbase happy and enthusiastic and i respect that even if i'm not a great fan.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 15:45
1. The Seventh House
2. Ever
3. Subterranea
4. Dark Matter
5. The Wake
6. Tales from the Lush Attic

-Nomozomo
-Are You Sitting Comfortably
-Frequency

The last few didn't really impress me or make me want to listen to them much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>