Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIQ Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2011 at 17:25
Originally posted by AtlantisAgony AtlantisAgony wrote:

IQ introduced me to neo prog too (beyond Marillion). Well, 80s neo prog anyways. To my ears IQ's Tales from the Lush Attic is the most 'proggy' of the neo-prog debuts. The Last Human Gateway is really an impressive track. :D

I recently purchased the remastered anniversary version of 'The Wake'. Does anyone else actually prefer the first CD version? The treble is far too high, to my ears at least. Sometimes it's a bit unpleasant, which is something I don't often experience. On the other hand some things have been cleared up in this version. The drums sound clearer (they seemed to be a bit "muddled" before) and the instruments seem a bit more separated. It sounds broader and not as 'narrow' as the old version did. 

It is very rare that I prefer any remastered version. I think most of them are a bit of a rip off, and I still love my original vinyl version of The Wake.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2011 at 22:44
I only have Frequency, and although I enjoyed it the first few times I listened to it, I havent gone back to it (mostly because of discovering so many other albums). I will need to re-explore this one soon.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2011 at 00:20
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I only have Frequency, and although I enjoyed it the first few times I listened to it, I havent gone back to it (mostly because of discovering so many other albums). I will need to re-explore this one soon.

If you liked Frequency you will surely enjoy Dark Matter as well.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 17:11
Originally posted by AtlantisAgony AtlantisAgony wrote:

IQ introduced me to neo prog too (beyond Marillion). Well, 80s neo prog anyways. To my ears IQ's Tales from the Lush Attic is the most 'proggy' of the neo-prog debuts. The Last Human Gateway is really an impressive track. :D

I recently purchased the remastered anniversary version of 'The Wake'. Does anyone else actually prefer the first CD version? The treble is far too high, to my ears at least. Sometimes it's a bit unpleasant, which is something I don't often experience. On the other hand some things have been cleared up in this version. The drums sound clearer (they seemed to be a bit "muddled" before) and the instruments seem a bit more separated. It sounds broader and not as 'narrow' as the old version did. 

In light of your comments I can strongly recommend 'The Wake Live' (think it was mentioned earlier in the thread). I was more than pleasantly surprised how good the recording and the performance is. There is a DVD as well.
TheMinstrelsGhost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 13:47
Been an IQ fan since I saw them when looking for bands here on PA. Love their music and sound. Peter Nicholls voice is awesome. Fave album would have to be Dark Matter, nice long pieces.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 19:19
As well as producing consistently good studio albums for the last 30 years, IQ are a superb live band. Their performance of the entire 1997 album 'Subterranea' at O13, Tilburg, Holland, on 4th April 1999 (released on DVD) and the wonderful 'IQ20' DVD from the Mean Fiddler in London in December 2001 are archived proof of this for anyone who has not been lucky enough to actually see them live.

So without further ado, I'm now going to gorge myself on a bunch of great live vids of some of my favourite IQ songs...Hope you enjoy them too!  Embarrassed

There's supposed to be another live DVD coming at some stage too, from the 'IQ30' weekend concerts at De Boerderij in Holland last October...I certainly hope so! Smile

Edit (26th July 2012): Replaced three videos which had been removed. Sorry, there is no longer a full live version of 'The Seventh House' on YouTube, so I've included the studio version of this great song instead. Embarrassed

Edit (14th April 2014) A combined live video of 'The Seventh House' and 'Harvest Of Souls' added, and the two individual vids removed. Smile

Edited by yam yam - April 15 2014 at 03:58
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 01:48
^ great work Clap
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 00:35
Fantastic band. Bumping this for another member.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 21:11
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Fantastic band. Bumping this for another member.

Thanks for bumping this thread, Horizons. By the way, you can call me John.

Anyway, I LOVE this performance of Widow's Peak which I posted on another thread:

“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 21:13
I like Ever a lot more than Frequency. Similar albums to go for?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 21:35

I haven't heard either of them yet. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to hear them as all of the IQ albums I had on order came today. Cool It should be noted, however, that Frequency should be different since Martin Orford left the band. Ever, from what I've read, is a much welcome return to form since Peter Nicholls is back on vocals and I'm glad he is because I didn't enjoy Paul Menel's vocal style at all. It's just not IQ without Nicholls IMHO.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 26 2012 at 21:37
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 01:28

Hard to pick any albums exactly like Ever but you might like The Seventh House although I would position that somewhere between Ever and Frequency stylistically. I also think it has the best Peter Nicholls vocal performance so if thats a feature of IQ you like then go for it!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 08:18
A review of "EVER"

“Ever” has that iconic cover that I always seemed to correlate with the music of IQ; curvy blue radiance and a beautiful Romanian visage with cubist features. It is the radiant beauty and jagged edges that remind me of their music. The band revel in complex time changes and a heavy emphasis on virtuosic instrumentation. The vocals on this are wonderful from the same vocalist of IQ’s “The Wake” which was a mere sign of the master quality of “Ever”. The lead guitar expertise of Mike Holmes is always a delight, as are the wondrous keyboards of Martin Orford.

It begins with the epic sounds of ‘The Darkest Hour’ that has a delightful melody and very powerful guitars. The lead break at 5 and a half minutes in is excellent and it is followed by ribbons of synths. This interlude is neo prog at its best, and in fact the entire song is one of IQ’s finest compositions. The lyrics are transfixing; “out of the way of anyone, wilder than you are, anyone who ever had a heart, wouldn’t deny me, woe betied the one not to be undone, who will remember, start it again when does it end, I’m in there somewhere, nobody can carry me over.” The lead guitar solo follows and it culminates in a tranquil passage of ambience. The piano, guitar and synth pads generate a peaceful backdrop to Nicholl’s final thoughts; “if I should fall from your side, keep it in your mind, how I tried to keep it here, how I promised you’d be safe, and you never said a word, and you never cried.” One of the best IQ tracks in their long tenure in the neo prog scene.

After this glorious opening the next track is ‘Fading Senses’, that is in two sections, i. After All, ii. Fading Senses. This one has quiet, relaxing synths and vocals. It builds to a heavier beat and lead guitar solos that are very emotionally charged, and a time sig shift is augmented by heavier sounds, that merge seamlessly back to a spacey synth. The musicianship is mesmirising throughout and as good as it gets for prog in the early 90s, when prog was beginning to make a comeback. This is one of the best IQ tracks in their quitter repertoire.  

‘Out Of Nowhere’ comes in with a syncopated guitar and drum rhythm, sounding like Genesis for a time. The distorted guitar riff chugs moderately as Nicholl’s crystal clear vocals speak of not giving in to doubt; “some are born into their lives, with a need to be destroyed, it’s the wrong thing on my mind, the only thing we can’t survive.” I love this song with its melodic upbeat style, and Nicholl’s inimitable vocals. It has a more straight forward commercial sound but it works well enough as a melodic break from the complexity previously.

‘Further Away’ is another lengthy track at 14:30, and begins with Marillion-style chiming synths that lock into a motif layer for the flute to float on. The vocals are lower register and very relaxed; “torn from my hand so heavy now you’re a world away, these little lies are grown so cold and will I see you when I turn around.” The flute embellishments are gorgeous, adding a haunting beauty. The heavier guitars and odd rhythms are strong and drive the track along on its journey. Along the way there are scintillating keyboard solos, spacey synthscapes and lead guitar solos emotionally pouring out like golden honey.

‘Leap Of Faith’ follows with passages of tranquillity leading to glorious synth and lead guitar trade offs. It segues directly into ‘Came Down’, with a steady beat and lead guitar melodies. The vocals are melancholy and subdued; “all the time we didn’t share, when we set adrift half forgotten lies, will the madness still be there, when you turn away, the distance in your eyes speaks the words that you won’t say.” The verses lead to an uplifting chorus with harmonies and the distinct feeling the album is drawing to a close. The final instrumentation gives us one more chance to hear Holmes’ lead soling, simply stunning in its execution.  

“Ever” is a masterful symphonically-driven album, creatively rich and infused with soulful passion and dramatic energy. After 8 years absence from the band, Peter Nicholls returns and injects a refreshed enthusiasm and vibrancy to the band’s sound. Every track is delightful featuring some of the best neo-prog I have had the pleasure to hear. It is an absolute joy to listen to a band that does not shy away from complex musicianship and keeps everything upbeat and positive. At the end of the album I feel refreshed and I know I have heard something very, very special indeed. The album comes with a plethora of rave reviews, and has enthused lovers of prog over the years who hail it as a masterpiece. Often these albums are overhyped and do not live up to expectations but in this case, the hype is well deserved. “Ever” is a bonafide masterpiece and is one of the reasons the band are so well known and have garnered a massive following. With music this good, it is impossible to ignore IQ, and this album is one of the treasures of 1993, and indeed the 90s decade itself.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 09:35
Here's another great performance from the same concert as the Widow's Peak video I linked earlier. This must be from their Wake concert DVD (which I have on order Cool):

Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 09:50
So, I listened to Subterranea, and I found to be horribly, horribly dull. It was homogenous as hell and I couldn't wait for it to end, really.

My question is: is there any hope for me and IQ if I disliked that album so much?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 09:54
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

So, I listened to Subterranea, and I found to be horribly, horribly dull. It was homogenous as hell and I couldn't wait for it to end, really.

My question is: is there any hope for me and IQ if I disliked that album so much?

Listen to The Wake. From the various pieces I've heard from Subterranea, I disagree with you about it being dull. My question is how many times have you listened to the album? Some recordings take more time to get into than others. Did you really give it a fair chance?
Moths View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 12:00
Here I'm sitting in my IQ20 T-shirt that decided to celebrate Friday with =)

I'm both a bit envious and not of you people that discovered IQ after Ever. Why do you ask yourself? Well for us that first came in contact and started to love IQ back in the dark ages of the 1980's wept when Peter decided to leave the band after The Wake.
Gone were the most prolific singer in the Brittish Neo-Prog movement (don't even think to mention Fish) and the band decided to peruse a more commercial oriented sound together with Paul Menel.

The good part though that - in contrary to Genesis - IQ and Nicholls reunited and released what I consider the natural continuation of The Wake. Even the fact that Peter painted the wonderful cover (just as on The Wake) felt like no time had past. On the upside during the years past Peter's voice had become more mature, recording equipment cheaper and Mike Holms had turned into a monster behind the controls in the studio making the production on Ever sound lightyears better then The Wake. Only sad part was that we lost Tim Esau bass but on the other had we gained John Jowitt who probably is the happiest man I have seen on stage =)

There is no hope for you at all Anthony ;)
Seriously, Subterraenia is not the happiest album in the world. It's dark, brooding and to some extent I can understand your comment about dull - this coming from a die hard IQ fan. It took me at least 10 sessions before I got into it. I still think it's too long

If I should introduce anyone to IQ I'd chose Ever or even better ForEver Live. I would not chose Subterranea or Dark Matter. IQ is either a band you love instantly or you have to see them as an acquired taste if you ever manage to get into them them.
Personally I do not care much for Frequency. Martin Orford was responsible for a a very big part of IQ's songwriting and I do not care for Mark Westworth's keyboard playing at all. Hopefully "new" boy Neil Durant (who ran the IQ mailing list for years) can bring back some of the pre-frequency magic. Unfortunately I could not make it down to Holland for last year's IQ30 so I have no idea if he have made an impact on the key sound yet.
The Seventh House is
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 13:58

Ever is the one to try, it's the album that is getting me interested in the rest of their stuff.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 14:19
Originally posted by Moths Moths wrote:

The Seventh House is
pray tell
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 14:23
Subterranea is my second least favourite IQ album after Nomzamo.Its suffers the fate of many double albums , too much mediocre filler. However that said if you want a fully immersive experience with the headphones on then you can do a lot worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 25>