Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe best horror film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which movie is the best made horror movie in history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [20.59%]
2 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.88%]
23 [67.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best horror film
    Posted: October 16 2009 at 10:34
I'm not a huge fan of Horror films, but I really appriciate when the suspense and the rythum of edition lead you to the shore of your sit and leave you wonder what just happen on the dark corner of the shot... So, I think Rosemary's Baby is the very best... you don't get to see nothing... it's pure suggestion... so there's my vote... Sixth Sense is great, and maybe the classic of my generation... but besides the other... is almost a joke... right...??? you help me... Will be interesting... Evil Smile
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 10:55
I voted for the Exorcist because like all great horror flicks, the real terror is implied and not shown i.e psychological terror inside your own head cannot be replicated on screen (Nuff said)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 11:22
From the list, I chose The Exorcist. It's a tryly horrible and disturbing film!

Honoury mentions to The Shining and The Omen, although you could argue, that despite the supernatural element to these films, they are really 'thrillers' The Shining is among my favourite films of all time.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 11:42
My vote goes to The Changeling (The one with George C. Scott, not the one with Angelina Jolie).  Very good horror movie, probably my favorite.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 11:42
Other: Blair Witch Project, by far.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 11:44
Yeah, Blair Witch Project is excellent. Apparently the most profitable film ever, as it only cost around $30,000 to make.

I also like 'The Others' More of a classic ghost story with a great twist. Very creepy..

Edited by Blacksword - October 16 2009 at 11:45
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 12:28
I vote the original Night Of the Living Dead. Sure, their were zombie films before it (like White Zombie and the like), but this was the very first (and best) to capture the pure claustrophobic fear of being stuck in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a sh*t load of hungry undead. Classic
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 12:51
The original Psycho.
The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
The Ring.
On this list, Rosemary's Baby.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 13:05
The Shining. What's more frightening then a father murdering those he's obligated to protect. Isolation in horror is also one of my favorite devices.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 13:10
I've not seen yet The Blair Witch Project... jejeje... I know... I must have lived under a rock at that time... but I don't know why... jejeje... that's why I didn't put it on the list... I still believe Rosemary's Baby is the best... as one said above "psychological terror inside your own head cannot be replicated on screen"
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 13:19
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

I vote the original Night Of the Living Dead. Sure, their were zombie films before it (like White Zombie and the like), but this was the very first (and best) to capture the pure claustrophobic fear of being stuck in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a sh*t load of hungry undead. Classic

I concur. Low budget movie with minimal effects and shot in Black and White.Something did always bother me though. Why didn't the body that they found in the top of the farmhouse never come back to life?
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 14:01
Army. Of. Darkness.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 14:03
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

My vote goes to The Changeling (The one with George C. Scott, not the one with Angelina Jolie).  Very good horror movie, probably my favorite.

I love this film.  Not many people have seen it, which is a shame because it has some great scenes.

For anyone who doesn't know this movie:

Scott plays a writer who has lost his muse following the death of his wife. He rents a large,  isolated house, hoping that the seclusion will allow him to regain his inspiration.  However, as the days and nights pass, he becomes aware that he is not alone in the house. 

One of the great scenes is when the haunting begins to unsettle the George C. Scott character, and he is sitting in the large living room, trying to relax drinking whisky.  There comes a thum-thump-thump as a child's ball bounces down the stairs.  On the verge of breaking down, he picks up the ball and dashes out to his car.  He drives several miles to a bridge over a large fast-moving river.  Getting out of his car he hurls the ball as far as he can from the bridge into the water.

When he gets back home he collapses into his chair and takes a long, satisfying slug of whisky.  As he exhales a sigh of relief...there comes a thump-thump-thump as a child's ball bounces down the stairs.  It roll towards his feet.  Water dripping off it forms a small puddle on the floor.

Fantastic stuff.  The film relies on suspense and subtle effects to create unbearable tension and atmosphere.

These are the sorts of horror films that I like.  Personally I dislike the gory, slasher movies.  I don't find them particularly scary and I feel like I need to take a shower after watching them.

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - October 16 2009 at 14:04
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 14:14
Excorcist for meThumbs Up Not a bad soundtrack eitherWink
Matt

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 14:17
Definitely "The Haunting" made in 1963. You see nothing but you feel everything!Clap

Edited by rdtprog - October 16 2009 at 14:18
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 14:25
The shining

Jack Nicholson and Penderecki!
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 15:37
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

I love this film.  Not many people have seen it, which is a shame because it has some great scenes.

For anyone who doesn't know this movie:

Scott plays a writer who has lost his muse following the death of his wife. He rents a large,  isolated house, hoping that the seclusion will allow him to regain his inspiration.  However, as the days and nights pass, he becomes aware that he is not alone in the house. 

One of the great scenes is when the haunting begins to unsettle the George C. Scott character, and he is sitting in the large living room, trying to relax drinking whisky.  There comes a thum-thump-thump as a child's ball bounces down the stairs.  On the verge of breaking down, he picks up the ball and dashes out to his car.  He drives several miles to a bridge over a large fast-moving river.  Getting out of his car he hurls the ball as far as he can from the bridge into the water.

When he gets back home he collapses into his chair and takes a long, satisfying slug of whisky.  As he exhales a sigh of relief...there comes a thump-thump-thump as a child's ball bounces down the stairs.  It roll towards his feet.  Water dripping off it forms a small puddle on the floor.

Fantastic stuff.  The film relies on suspense and subtle effects to create unbearable tension and atmosphere.

These are the sorts of horror films that I like.  Personally I dislike the gory, slasher movies.  I don't find them particularly scary and I feel like I need to take a shower after watching them.

Who directed this movie...??? now I'm interest... Agree with the blood fest movies that called "horror" nowadyas... I feel the same... those do not scared anyone... is just disgusting selection of gory scenes... and nothing more...
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 16:03
Kwaidan.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 16:06
I am not sure if "Don't Look Now!", starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, fits as a horror movie, but it is one of my favorite movies. and the end is an absolute shocker, even after the umpteenth view. I absolutely freaked out the first time I saw it

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 16:42
^ I've seen the end. Messed up.

I like Session 9 a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>