Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NeoClassic - what's the difference between.......
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeoClassic - what's the difference between.......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NeoClassic - what's the difference between.......
    Posted: January 21 2010 at 17:05

NeoClassic music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoclassicism_(music)

What's the difference between NeoClassic and PA genres like Symphonic Prog and Zeuhl on the other side..... well, make that our side of the fence. 

I am listening to Elend and Enid now. Elend is NeoClassical. Enid is Symphonic Prog. I am a loss to find much differences between them. Elend is probably more baroque and opera than Enid who is more keyboards and symphonic inclined. But that is not enough to erect a fence. 

Is not the likes of Pink Mice, Ekseption, Trace, Clearlight Symphony and the three first ELP albums also NeoClassical (although I would label Pink Mice and Ekseption's output Airport Muzak) ?

I am not asking this question to get Elend voted into the PA family. I just want to know the difference between NeoClassic and Symphonic Prog because this question is nagging me and keeping me awake when I am driving around in my car.

Where is this fence ? 

progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 02:52
Tough question you're asking here (probably the reason there haven't been answers so far Stern Smile). Well, I don't know Elend to be honest but I do know what you're driving at. I know Ekseption, Enid, Trace and Clearlight. And about the last one I wrote in my review that the album Infinite Symphony could well be a bridge between modern and classical music. The same thing goes through my mind when I hear Opus 1065 by Trace. And I have some more examples for the discussion: She by Caamora which is a modern opera and the track Hijrah by Strangers on a Train's The Labyrinth which could even be the very best example I can think of. In fact everybody should have a listen to that amazing track composed by Clive Nolan who has done conservatoire . Obviously Clive has a soft spot for both prog as classical music. He could be the ideal composer for neo classical material.
Now I will have to find something by Elend to make the comparison of course. Embarrassed
So, I;m sorry I can't answer your actual question. Anybody ??
A day without prog is a wasted day
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 04:41
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

NeoClassic music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoclassicism_(music) 

I'm pretty sure you've linked the wrong Neoclassicism Torodd - that's the Neoclassical Classical Music of the likes of Stravinsky, Prokofiev and Arron Copland.

You need either the Neoclassical New Age : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoclassical_(New_Age) of people like Harold Budd, Mike Oldfield and Rick Wakeman
Or the Neoclassical Dark Wave: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoclassical_(Dark_Wave) of bands like Dead Can Dance, Dargaard, Amber Asylum and Elend...

Though probably not Neoclassical Metal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoclassical_metal of Malmsteen and a lot of Symphonic/Power Metal bands who sometimes get hit with this tag.

Blackmore's Night probably fits in one of those somewhere.
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

What's the difference between NeoClassic and PA genres like Symphonic Prog and Zeuhl on the other side..... well, make that our side of the fence. 

I am listening to Elend and Enid now. Elend is NeoClassical. Enid is Symphonic Prog. I am a loss to find much differences between them. Elend is probably more baroque and opera than Enid who is more keyboards and symphonic inclined. But that is not enough to erect a fence. 

Is not the likes of Pink Mice, Ekseption, Trace, Clearlight Symphony and the three first ELP albums also NeoClassical (although I would label Pink Mice and Ekseption's output Airport Muzak) ?

I am not asking this question to get Elend voted into the PA family. I just want to know the difference between NeoClassic and Symphonic Prog because this question is nagging me and keeping me awake when I am driving around in my car.

Where is this fence ? 

The essence of Symphonic Prog is that it is Rock with Classical aspirations and Jazz undertones, where as Neoclassical New Age dispenses with the Rock and often employs Jazz techniques with a 20th Century Classical music approach and Neoclassical Dark Wave is usually devoid of any Rock and Jazz structures and concentrates on the more ethereal qualities of Romantic, Symphonic and Baroque classical eras (often with Choir Invisible choral vocalisations) music with Electronic/Synthesiser Music as its foundation.

Aside from the degree of "Rock" present in the music, the other main difference is the degree of complexity in the composition, with Symphonic being more layered (counter-point etc) and with changing tempos and time sigs, Neoclassical New Age is generally less complex (though not necessarily), and any changes in tempoand/or key being less pronounced (dramatic) and Neoclassical Dark Wave is often the least complex of the three - creating a dense textures of sound where the changes are mor gradual.

The Enid and Elend fall at the extreme ends of their respective genres (and some 30 years apart), with The Enid being far more baroque/symphonic and far less rock than most of their contemporaries though they are undoubtedly coming from a Prog Rock "root". The Elend are one of the darker of the Dark Wave bands but still show their Gothic Rock "root" and on their later albums abandoned the synthesis of orchestral sounds for traditional acoustic chamber musical instruments.

What?
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 04:51

I think Wikipedia has yet to catch up with the music world..... Wink

Is it not a strong case for also using the term NeoClassical music on the more ELP dominated part of the Symphonic Prog genre ? The Pink Mice and Ekseption has now been put in the Eclectic Prog genre. But they too may be called NeoClassical if the same rule as put Yngwie Malmsteen into the NeoClassical Metal genre should also be applied here.

Most of these bands does not apply the rhythm 'n' blues pattern which has given the term "Rock".   

I am intellectual curious about this matter.

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - January 22 2010 at 05:08
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 06:04
What Wikipedia lacks is cohesion, something that would only come about with a structured sense of "editorship" to tie all the disparate music style definitions together. What Wiki does show is that the term "Neoclassical" is too generic and does not adequately define anything - it's a lazy tag for anything that sounds "a bit Classical" but isn't as bombastic or grandiose as a Symphony or Concerto.

The classical definition of Neoclassical is more a backwards reference to an earlier style (originally used in Architecture to refer to the adoption of classical ancient Greek and Roman ornamentation and proportion) in the same way that "Classical" music was a backwards reference since the term was never applied at the time but was a much later (19th Century) definition - Bach never called himself a Classical Composer.

I think "Neoclassical" is a misapplication of the word in the same way as "Symphonic"outside the realms of a Symphony Orchestra is a misapplication - Symphonic Rock, Symphonic Prog and Symphonic Metal do not mean "in the form of a Symphony" nor do they mean "Harmonious in sound" - it just means "a bit Classical sounding" - though I will admit that some bands in the 70s did try and incorporate actual symphonic structures and forms into their music, most did not. And while they departed from the standard 8, 12,16 and 32-bar blues patterns, (for example - though it's more complicated than that), it still forms the basis of where they started from (lead, rhythm, bass, drums / back-beat / chord progressions / song structures) and is still remnant in most Symphonic Prog works (for example if you pare down Close To The Edge you get the 4 "movements" that typify a Symphony, but you also get three separate songs that are essentially simple rock songs in structure and a composite reprise [Seasons of Man]).

Ekseption (I'm not familiar with The Pink Mice) were never symphonic nor neoclassical IMO, but just did Jazz-Rock covers of trad. Classical (and early Psyche & Prog) tunes, following on from Emerson's beginnings with The Nice and early ELP - today they would be probably called Classical Crossover - Rick van der Linden got more (satisfyingly) "prog" with Trace.

What?
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 10:38
^ The problem is that whoever can come in an write something... and many times is just fans that knows the music they are talking about or about a particular band but don't know that it already exists another article about that particular music style and all of that...

BTW... I think you were refering to Yngwie for the title so Dean is right... neoclassic is a generic ambigous term without doubt...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
 Post Reply Post Reply