Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushfan4's New CD Thread 9 - Roswell Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:24
I am quite interested in getting the book as well so as to tie it in to the music and the story.  Unfortunately, I probably won't have time to read it until post-tax season vacation.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:36
Alright, I've created a tie-in thread.  Choose your favorite band from this All-Star cast's main projects.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65570&PN=1
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:46
I like it, but you left out Erik Norlander (which is really funny) and Under The Sun :)
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:53
I was kind of going with one band per artist so for Erik, I chose the Rocket Scientists, although he does have quite a number of solo albums as well.  That, and of course he also plays on his wife's albums.  I suppose that I could give him a two for one there.  I did miss Under The Sun. Embarrassed  I didn't realize that that was Kurt Barabas' band.  I just knew that he was in Amaran's Plight along with Gary Wehrkamp of Shadow Gallery. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 12:05
I went up to Barnes and Noble yesterday and they had the book, so I bought it and started reading it.  So far it is alright.  So far it seems to be a Sci-fi world based on the Middle Eastern conflict. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 09:00
I'm still really enjoying this album, but I now have 1 problem.  Now that I have decided to read the book, having listened to the album is kind of a spoiler for the book. LOL   
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 17:18
The turnout for this thread has been really disappointing this month, especially after the success of last month's thread with Shadow Circus.  I am basically just talking to myself in this one.  Oh well, at least I am enjoying this album even if no one else is.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 17:50
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The turnout for this thread has been really disappointing this month, especially after the success of last month's thread with Shadow Circus.  I am basically just talking to myself in this one.  Oh well, at least I am enjoying this album even if no one else is.

I'm expecting my copy to show up next week, I'd have been in here sooner were it not for shipping times Tongue
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 17:53
Darn shipping times. Angry  I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you do receive it.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 18:59
I keep wanting to like this album as I'm a huge sci fi fan and a pretty big norlander fan.  it's not bad, but has failed to really capture me.  i'm giving it a break for now, and will come back to it in a week or so and will report whether a little time has made a difference. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 02:30
Sorry Scott, I need more time here too.

http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 13:30
I think I would sum the album up as a PA 3 Star, "Good but non-essential".

It was enjoyable but I'm not really into female vocals at the moment and they spoiled it a bit for me.

I also felt the tracks meandered at times and also not really metal IMO.

Hopefully you'll get some more feedback soon Scott.

What's your opinion - pluses and minuses?
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 13:51
I agree that it really isn't metal too.  I would say that it is more neo or symphonic with metal tinges at times.  I'm a fan of all of the vocalists and I like the contrasting styles that they bring to the album.  Rather than the same voice for the entirety I like the switching off from song to song as well as during songs.  I really like Erik Norlander as a keyboard player and I like the sound that he brings to the album even if it isn't all that different from the sound that he brings to his and Lana Lane's albums.  I like the concept story as I understand it but once I finish the book I'll be really curious to compare the album to the book to see how well they have put the story to music. 

I guess the biggest minus is that there isn't really anything musically groundbreaking on here.  I suppose that to many it probably sounds like prog by numbers.  This isn't something that bothers me because I like prog for this sound, but I suspect that it might bother many.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 13:59
You know, Scott, if you had to listen to a slew of 'prog-by-numbers' albums for reviewing purposes as I do, you might eventually come to dislike the whole approach. Personally, I have given very high ratings (both here and on Progressor) to albums that were not exactly ground-breaking, but had a certain quality that lifted them well above the run-of-the-mill crowd. An example of this is Martin Orford's The Old Road, whose review you can read here on PA as well. Unfortunately, very few albums manage to achieve that quality.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 14:05

Or it may just not bother me like it seems to bother everyone else.

jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 09:58
I only have the chance to listen to 4 tracks of the album at their myspace site, because I don't have enough money right now to spend in an import... my comic book geekeness is leaving me poor... but what I have heard is quite interesting, less bussy than Ayreon in the musical approach. I find very interesting the vocal colors, which are very different but merged very well...

I hope I get enough money to buy the album, like it seems the art is interesting... Is it digipack or regular cd artwork?
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 21:48
My copy arrived in the mail today ... I'm heading to listen to it for the first time now. Will return with my first impression!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 23:37
Alright - I have now gone through it once. It was pretty enjoyable. I enjoy the whole bombastic concept album/metal guitar undertones/melodic theatric music. Stuff like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Pictorial Wand, Jesus Christ Superstar, etc... and this stuff fits into that mould. So it's pretty much a guarantee I'm going to like it to some extent. I don't think it's the strongest I've heard in this style of music but I still enjoyed it.
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 09:16
I've just run the press release for the new album and posted 3 new songs on the Myspace page if you want to check it out www.myspace.com/roswellsix
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2010 at 10:38
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Alright - I have now gone through it once. It was pretty enjoyable. I enjoy the whole bombastic concept album/metal guitar undertones/melodic theatric music. Stuff like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Pictorial Wand, Jesus Christ Superstar, etc... and this stuff fits into that mould. So it's pretty much a guarantee I'm going to like it to some extent. I don't think it's the strongest I've heard in this style of music but I still enjoyed it.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it.  It has grown even more on me with each listen.  The book is starting to get pretty good too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>