Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Exciting News: New sister site for METAL online !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExciting News: New sister site for METAL online !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 16:55
to paraphrase Pye Dubois - I'm just a musician here to thin the thickness of your skin Cool
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 14:13
Looks great M@X, can't wait to register and start reviewing, it'll be great to get a chance to review bands like Megadeth, Stratovarius, Fozzy etc...

The only thing I'm kinda bummed about is the reviews I've already done for bands appearing on both sites. I mean, for example my Metallica reviews are mostly done in a prog-context, so probably won't make as much sense on MMA, and I'm too lazy to retype them to be honest. Cry

But other than that looks great. Clap

Edited by Valarius - April 18 2010 at 14:14
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 00:13
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

I agree with Olav, that the authority & knowledge of the offering can make a big difference going up against some of the sites. But no one here knows if that is being noted by the visitors, nor whether that will be enough to keep the site attractive to your average metal head until MMA meets PA's internet gold standard.

I'm doing my bit for the accuracy and information part at least.

I'm not able to do as much as I would have liked to do, but take some pride in the bio's I've done over there so far, Venom the latest of those :-)

And I dare anyone to find an all-encompassing metal site with better info on acts like Witchfynde and Witchfinder General ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 08:05
It just takes time...alot of us are working to get it up to speed. We're getting new members doing reviews which is very helpful.

I think I've written (completely) only a few bios...Badlands being the most recent and it could use a little tweaking. But it includes info that is pretty rare stuff already.

Thanks for folks coming to help.

Valarius, cut and paste and a few modifications has worked for me on reviews like the ones you're talking about. You'll be surprised when you reread your reviews, most of them require less rewriting than you think.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 05:53
Yeah Negoba you're right lol. Already copied and pasted them all. There may be a few that don't  make much sense, but overwise it's all sorted. Clap
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 06:06
I've been a member of PA from virtually day one & no, this site wasn't perfect at first; it's evolved over the years into the highly respected site it is now.

I've absolutely no doubt that MMA will do the same over time - well done Max

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 06:15
PA looked much more... I would prefer not using any epithet, you fill the blank ... in the year it was started: http://web.archive.org/web/20021202080607/www.progarchives.com/mainpage.html

And still it became the no.1 resource on the net. Seems like MMA is much better prepared to start developing into a great resource and community; actually I think its main problem is not the "unfinished" status, but the really strong competition (which was not the case for PA).
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 12:22
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

PA looked much more... I would prefer not using any epithet, you fill the blank ... in the year it was started: http://web.archive.org/web/20021202080607/www.progarchives.com/mainpage.html

And still it became the no.1 resource on the net. Seems like MMA is much better prepared to start developing into a great resource and community; actually I think its main problem is not the "unfinished" status, but the really strong competition (which was not the case for PA).

All the more reason to try and make it the best possible website it can be. Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 02:10

^We will. Donīt worryBig smile

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 06:23
There appears to  be a nasty trojan associated with Metal Music Archives.  It infected my laptop at work.  The McAfee on my computer at home detected it and apparently didn't allow it it affect my home laptop, but I think that I am going to have to avoid that site for awhile.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 07:18
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

There appears to  be a nasty trojan associated with Metal Music Archives.  It infected my laptop at work.  The McAfee on my computer at home detected it and apparently didn't allow it it affect my home laptop, but I think that I am going to have to avoid that site for awhile.

No warnings about the site from my work computer, which has a very strict antivirus setup - governmental style.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 08:18
All I know is that when I was on MMA at work on Friday, the screen turned red and said that it was an unsafe site.  And then I started getting a message from a trojan adware that my computer was infected and that I needed to download their software in order to remove their virus.  I looked it up and it said that it was a trojan adware that came in to being during the middle of April.  I was able to delete it from my registry and computer (hopefully). Yesterday at home on my home laptop which has McAfee installed, the site turned red and said that the site was unsafe, and then I got a message that McAfee had blocked a trojan that was trying to attack my computer.  At work, we have the virus protection on the network to block things like this, but not the individual computers because they were interfering with the work process.  It was taking 10 or 15 minutes to open up an Excel or Word document because the virus software was scanning it for viruses, etc...
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 08:47
Scott, I had a similar occurrence on Friday as well, but here at PA.  Some fake anti-virus warning popped up and I was immediately locked up and overtaken.  I was here in the forums when it happened.  I simply turned over the computer to the tech guys to check out and moved to another computer, I have no idea how to fix that stuff. 

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 09:08
The only conclusion I can draw from this is that you guys don't really work that much at work Ermm

Just kiddin' Tongue

M@x should really do a full scan than change all the FTP passwords and his user password.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 10:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

All I know is that when I was on MMA at work on Friday, the screen turned red and said that it was an unsafe site.  And then I started getting a message from a trojan adware that my computer was infected and that I needed to download their software in order to remove their virus.  I looked it up and it said that it was a trojan adware that came in to being during the middle of April.  I was able to delete it from my registry and computer (hopefully). Yesterday at home on my home laptop which has McAfee installed, the site turned red and said that the site was unsafe, and then I got a message that McAfee had blocked a trojan that was trying to attack my computer.  At work, we have the virus protection on the network to block things like this, but not the individual computers because they were interfering with the work process.  It was taking 10 or 15 minutes to open up an Excel or Word document because the virus software was scanning it for viruses, etc...

Sounds like scareware... if you download the software, that's when the virus gets onto your computer. If anyone gets this type of message... use your own antivirus software to check... don't download the scareware!! Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.

Finn... what's the joke with the avatars? Tongue
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 12:02
Last Thursday there were problems with Macafee around the world--apparently an upgrade recognized a regular Windows program as a virus.  Lots of companies--including mine, and even Intel--were affected, so perhaps it's something related to that.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Proggy Pogo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 07:58
Nice one Clap!  I'll have a look at this as soon as I get a minute.  Might have to think of a new name - don't think Proggy Pogo will go down too well on a metal site!!
Astrapto View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 08:41
There are already many metal forums and information hubs. Why don't you pick something less explored, like ambient techno or something?
Besides, how many of our prog bands would have to leave if you made a Metal and a Jazz site as well?
I think further concentration on this is important, maybe Facebook and Twitter integration.
Jesus is real, God and man.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 11:20
Originally posted by Astrapto Astrapto wrote:

There are already many metal forums and information hubs. Why don't you pick something less explored, like ambient techno or something?
Besides, how many of our prog bands would have to leave if you made a Metal and a Jazz site as well?
I think further concentration on this is important, maybe Facebook and Twitter integration.

No one has to leave, each site specializes within it's own genre, there is a lot of crossover with prog, but that is to be expected. I like the way PA/MMA(MMA more so actually) are set up, I think it is unique enough to have a site for most major genres. I'd like to see an electronic music website though.

Edited by A Person - May 07 2010 at 11:21
whichonespink View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 09:42
nice. i like metal too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>