Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 21:33
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I have dipped my toes in RPI over the past year with a small collection of what this website seems to deep the best releases. I haven't listened to all of them extensively, but some of them that I have are among my favorite prog albums. Among them are PFM's Per Un Amico and L'Isola Di Niente. I have them both digitally, and though I would like to have physical copies, all I can seem to find are the english versions. So my question is thus. Having only listened to the Italian versions, but knowing that the English versions do differ in places, are Photos Of Ghosts and The World Became The World recommendable to pick up on vinyl more or less in lieu of their Italian counterparts?

I haven't really listened to the english versions of albums... and in general I tend to avoid RPI albums in english, even if they didn't have an italian counterpart. I feel that RPI must be listened to in italian, that is one of the aspects that give it it's uniqueness... and the music sounds so italian that I don't think it would work as nicely in another language.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 22:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I have dipped my toes in RPI over the past year with a small collection of what this website seems to deep the best releases. I haven't listened to all of them extensively, but some of them that I have are among my favorite prog albums. Among them are PFM's Per Un Amico and L'Isola Di Niente. I have them both digitally, and though I would like to have physical copies, all I can seem to find are the english versions. So my question is thus. Having only listened to the Italian versions, but knowing that the English versions do differ in places, are Photos Of Ghosts and The World Became The World recommendable to pick up on vinyl more or less in lieu of their Italian counterparts?

I haven't really listened to the english versions of albums... and in general I tend to avoid RPI albums in english, even if they didn't have an italian counterpart. I feel that RPI must be listened to in italian, that is one of the aspects that give it it's uniqueness... and the music sounds so italian that I don't think it would work as nicely in another language.

That's been my hypothesis as well. I haven't tested it, but I feel it would be unpleasantly jarring to hear, say, Generale sung in English.

But I also feel bad for not picking up PFM albums at my local record store when I see them, especially when they're in the cheaper section.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 19:40
So no RPI albums in italian there? Bummer. However, you might make up by choosing some other prog stuff they may have there (surely they have more stuff, if they go into RPI).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 22:35
Oh they do. They have a wide variety of music. I've been shopping there since I started collecting records and have never found another store I quite prefer to it. However, prog beyond the most popular groups isn't so easy to find there. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 08:48
Just listening to Maxophone for the first time today. Wow...this is incredible!
Joe Rice View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 07:19
Hi guys,

I'm trying to contact the band as I'm trying to clear a song for a feature film and have no publishing details. Does anyone have any contact details for any member of the band please?

The track I'm trying to clear is https://www.discogs.com/I-Blahh-I-Condor-Ieri-Pioveva-Nel-Cuore-Della-Notte/release/8579679 I have the master details but need publishing details. Any help you can give would be great.

All the best,,
Joe

Joe Rice View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 07:20
Hi guys,

I'm trying to contact the band Condor as I need to clear the publishing for a particular track we want to use in a feature. If you have any contact details for the band that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

All the best,
Joe
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 06:06
Are there very many modern Italianprog bands?
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 06:16
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

I do not know how much RPI (Rock Progressivo Italiano) you have listened to, but my recommendation is to go listen to the oldies of this subgenre first (the 70s that is). 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 08:25
^I've only ever listened to PFM, and before coming here I thought they were just a symphonic band that was a bit different. I'll listen to Banco del Mutuo Soccorso  next if you say I should listen to the oldies.

Edited by FatherChristmas - October 24 2020 at 08:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 01:10

^I've only ever listened to PFM, and before coming here I thought they were just a symphonic band that was a bit different. I'll listen to Banco del Mutuo Soccorso  next if you say I should listen to the oldies.

Le Orme is also a must listen, and if you like PFM a lot check out Celeste sooner rather than later.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 03:38

Try LogoS.

One thing to note is that some bands may have been given the RPI tag, despite the sound not exactly fitting the RPI genre.

Edited by Zeph - October 25 2020 at 03:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:22
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Try LogoS.

One thing to note is that some bands may have been given the RPI tag, despite the sound not exactly fitting the RPI genre.

RPI is pretty versatile though. There's a lot of room for variation between, say, Celeste and Il Balletto Di Bronzo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:47
Thanks for the recommendations. Will give them a listen. Tongue
emisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:54
LogoS and La Maschera Di Cera.
Outstanding bands in modern RPI.
Both have 2020 releases. 5-stars albums for me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 16:14
I thought this was a brand new thread until I noticed we're now on Page 357. Smile

My favourite Italian bands are Jacula and the very closely related Antonius Rex.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 17:30
I absolutely love Unreal City.
I feel they are at the top Of the RPI mountain.

Perfect blend of modern and classic RPI.
You can’t beat it or them.
Look forward to that 4th album whenever it comes out.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 18:27
If you are looking for oldies 70's era, besides the bands mentioned you might try these as well.

Blocco Mentale - Poa
Celeste - Celeste
Cervello - Melos
Claudio Rocchi - Volo Magico 1
Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde di Aries
Goblin - Susperia
Locanda Delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più
Osanna -  Preludio, Tema, Variazioni, Canzona
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 03:18
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

If you are looking for oldies 70's era, besides the bands mentioned you might try these as well.

Blocco Mentale - Poa
Celeste - Celeste
Cervello - Melos
Claudio Rocchi - Volo Magico 1
Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde di Aries
Goblin - Susperia
Locanda Delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più
Osanna -  Preludio, Tema, Variazioni, Canzona

That looks Like an incredible list.

Goblin I’m definitely the most familiar with having a good 21 albums from them.
The Locanda album I have, but the rest of these artists on here I have never heard.
I’ll keep this list in mind. :)
I get in exploratory moods.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 05:25
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

That looks Like an incredible list.

Goblin I’m definitely the most familiar with having a good 21 albums from them.
The Locanda album I have, but the rest of these artists on here I have never heard.
I’ll keep this list in mind. :)
I get in exploratory moods.

I tried to mix it up in styles with that selection.

What's funny is if you listen to the first riff of the first track from Blocco Mentale - Capita (1973) and then listen to King Crimson The Great Deceiver (from Starless and Bible Black 1974).  It makes you wonder if King Crimson went to Italy for their inspirations :) (tongue in cheek).

Chicken or Egg regards.

Edited by Spaciousmind - October 26 2020 at 05:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358>