Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 14:15
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I kindly disagree with the fact that they will ever be metal. Hell, most ""metal""core bands aren't even 5% metal IMO. The only exception to that, so far, is Protest the Hero, but all others. . . . It is just hard to understand or to see any metality (LOL) in them.

And to make it all worse they are filled in the EXTREME METAL subgenre. Ugh, talk about confusing. . . Confused

I don't like them either but to claim they're not metal is completely asinine.  

And Protest the Hero couldn't write a decent song to save their lives. Their writing process must be like, " Hey bro, that's a rad lick! Now throw it in with the others." Dead

Edited by TheClosing - September 11 2010 at 15:01
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 12:30
^I think it was more, let's take a hiatus, or i'll quit
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 12:05
I could be very wrong, but maybe this was either quit the band, Mike, or you will be fired.

Maybe his autocratic ways created this
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 10:57
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Ironically now that they have to look for a replacement drummer they'll need to have the break they fired Mike to avoid.LOL Which means that if the search takes some time and they can't find a suitable replacement, Mike might simply decide to apply.

Well, that's true, but seeing things like JP is, he will be in the studio with or without drummer... I guess they will hired a session drummer, that will cover up the need to june or july of the next year. I think they have enough time to get a real drummer for the tour until then...

Of course, I'm guessing... but I hope that's the plan... Confused

I have no problems with this whole situation ... I'm looking forward to whatever music MP and DT will be releasing. Smile
Yeah, that's my case, I have being enjoying "almost" every side project of the members so I'll be fine if DT continues as well as Mike... I think a change in DT was needed and now they have the chance to succeed, let's hope they will..
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 10:52

Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Originally posted by jsem jsem wrote:

If it turns out he left DT just to play for A7X full time, I'll be pretty upset.

Maybe he will be able to convert them to progressive metalcore?

Fixed

I kindly disagree with the fact that they will ever be metal. Hell, most ""metal""core bands aren't even 5% metal IMO. The only exception to that, so far, is Protest the Hero, but all others. . . . It is just hard to understand or to see any metality (LOL) in them.

And to make it all worse they are filled in the EXTREME METAL subgenre. Ugh, talk about confusing. . . Confused

You need to hear Converge then. They're hardcore-based and definitely metalcore/mathcore, but they're more extreme than 95% of metal bands.

Some others I could recommend:
Botch
Coalesce
Car Bomb (Very Meshuggah-like)

I agree a lot of metalcore is generic. But you can find some good stuff if you're willing to look hard enough.

A7X isn't a good example of true metalcore anyway.

Edited by horsewithteeth11 - September 11 2010 at 10:55
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 10:40
Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

If it turns out he left DT just to play for A7X full time, I'll be pretty upset.

Fixed

Edited by CCVP - September 11 2010 at 10:42
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 10:30

Fixed
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 10:26
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Ironically now that they have to look for a replacement drummer they'll need to have the break they fired Mike to avoid.LOL Which means that if the search takes some time and they can't find a suitable replacement, Mike might simply decide to apply.

Well, that's true, but seeing things like JP is, he will be in the studio with or without drummer... I guess they will hired a session drummer, that will cover up the need to june or july of the next year. I think they have enough time to get a real drummer for the tour until then...

I have no problems with this whole situation ... I'm looking forward to whatever music MP and DT will be releasing. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 10:18
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Yes I was being (slightly) sarcastic about Genesis and Yes but there are things in this world more deserving of tears than a drummer leaving a prog-metal band who are largely unknown to the general public. Just look at the thread currently near this one about the death of an ex-member of ELO for instance.

You'd be surprised how well-known Dream Theater is in many music circles, let alone the general public.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 09:30

Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 08:37
If Portnoy did come back, which Ithink is very likely at some point in the future, it will be interesting to see on how much control he had. Up till now he's pretty much run things but would the band tolerate him walking back in and saying "okay guy's, i'm back and I'll be running things again". I think not somehow and yet could he return as an equal member with no more say than anyone else? I think he needs that power to run things in DT.

Edited by Nightfly - September 11 2010 at 08:39
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 01:41
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 01:04
This is the most bittersweet thing that has happened to music in a while. I love Mike's work with other bands / projects much much much more.

I personally think DT should have given a rest years ago.

This is not DT hate though, I am a huge DT fan (saw them last year at ProgNation).
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 00:20

Mike talks like a teenager even though he is almost 50? ShockedConfused

He's going through a mid-life crisis, let him be. Tongue
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 23:42
Portnoy speaks:

http://miguelr.net/MP_on_Eddie_Trunk_09-10-10.mp3

It was just out. He was interviewed at 11:30 EST USA on the Eddie Trunk radio show in NY.

EDIT: Is it me or Mike talks like a teenager even though he is almost 50? ShockedConfused

Edited by CCVP - September 10 2010 at 23:56
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 23:19
The problem about Portnoy coming back, is that that would require the new drummer to leave, and that would be a kind of nasty move (well... Yes did that to Patrick Moraz... ).
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 23:19
I'm sure tons of sessions drummers would love to fill his shoes for a while. If the band didn't call his bluff then maybe he could have taken a temporary leave. That would have been the most mature resolution. 
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 22:54
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

^ Yeah, that's what I am hearing, too. Listening to the show right now. Apparently he does think he could go back someday. Just not right now. 

Weird situation.

Ahh so you're listening. I can't listen as I'm in Canada, so I'm hearing it from Dream Theater Forums members. I'll keep my comment in case others want to read.

Yeah, I'm listening, haha. He keeps talking about how he might come back. So, who knows. I do think it's a little too proud of him to be as flabbergasted as he seems to be that the other guys feel like they can fill the void. I mean, it's not like he's the only one who can write and produce from within the band. I'm sure the other guys can and will shine, once given the space to do so.

DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 22:49
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

^ Yeah, that's what I am hearing, too. Listening to the show right now. Apparently he does think he could go back someday. Just not right now. 

Weird situation.

Ahh so you're listening. I can't listen as I'm in Canada, so I'm hearing it from Dream Theater Forums members. I'll keep my comment in case others want to read.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 22:48
Here's the gist of what MP said (credit goes to "The Letter M" from Dream Theater Forums:

"Well, uhm, i dunno how to sum it up but i guess i was put into a position where i kinda have to quit in order to move forward. I love dream theater and the guys, been my baby for 25 years. I just needed a break from DT. I didnt need a break from touring/playing/projects, but DT needed a break. Endless cycle for over 12-15 years solid without any real breaks. I was feeling like it was a  pattern that needed to be broken. I didn't feel this over night. It dates bak to last year. I was feeling it in Europe last fall, and suggested to the guys why don't we not tour as much in 2010. I felt the need to shake up the cycle and break the pattern. It was becoming a little stale to me. I'd go off to refreshing projects, but come back to DT and felt like I needed a break to reignite the flame. Dating back to last fall I felt it, then with TA this spring I talked about it with ppl. Then with IM it was coming to a head. I suggested to the guys we take a break, a couple years hiatus to recharge our batteries and be reinspired. Those guys didnt agree with me and wanted to keep going and start a new album in January. We just disagreed and after a week we came back to talk about it earlier this week and didn't want to budge and wanted to start with or without me. I felt my heart wouldn't be in it if I went in the studio in January. I felt i should be getting a breather. Either I had to do the album in Jan. against my will or say goodbye. It's weird that it came to this because none of us wanted it.

I didn't wanna quit and they didn't want me to leave. It's a weird kind of break up because we still love each other. They miss me and I'm all broken up, but we just strongly disagree."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>