Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeventh Wonder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:36
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

To answer your first question, no, I'm not a fan, as I've never heard any of their material, but they sound like something I would enjoy (but then again, so does everything else on this site! LOL).  I'll try to check them out, your placing their bass player just below Victor Wooten makes me excited to hear his skill.

Also, I should add - whatever you do, DON'T start with their first album, Become.  Even the band members freely express the weaknesses of that one as they recorded it, mixed and mastered it all themselves in a week's time, and they had a different singer who is a fine singer, but he's no Tommy Karevik.  But I give the other three 5 stars each as I truly believe they are all Prog perfection.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 13:13

Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

CCVP - why are you still here?  Man, it ticks me off how the only point of this site anymore it seems is to trash artists.  This is a Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  Appreciate them or go away.

Every single artist out there can be listened to with one of two approaches:
1) Analyze them to death and figure out every similarity you can possibly find and then say "aha!  Plagiarism!" (by the way, just because it's SIMILAR does not make it plagiarism).
2) Appreciate them for what they are.

Every artist you have mentioned thus far I am very familiar with as they are favorites, I own every album, and have listened to every one a ridiculous amount of times.  And every single time I've listened to these albums I've found new things I APPRECIATED.  That's because I'm not LOOKING for things that are WRONG, I'm hearing all the amazing things they are doing that I could never hope to do and thinking "wow, that's great!"  And it makes music a much more enjoyable experience than me trying to figure out how I could possibly make a weak link to another artist and say "aha!  Plagiarism!"  (which it's not)

In conclusion - this is the Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  If you don't have something nice to say, stay out of it.

There's nothing wrong with voicing a criticism of an artist here; in order to appreciate a band for what they are, we have to acknowledge their weaknesses, also.  You and Caio may have a difference of opinon concerning whether Seventh Wonder is derivative or not, but his opinion being the more "negative" one doesn't mean it's illegitimate or shouldn't be voiced.  It's importatn that we listen to music critically as well as appreciatively; these two types of listening bolster each other and increase our overall understanding of music. 

To answer your first question, no, I'm not a fan, as I've never heard any of their material, but they sound like something I would enjoy (but then again, so does everything else on this site! LOL).  I'll try to check them out, your placing their bass player just below Victor Wooten makes me excited to hear his skill.

My point exactly, thanks man. *brofist*

And, really dtguitarfan, I'm not trashing the guys. Maybe you should read my post(s) more carefully.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 14:38

There's nothing wrong with voicing a criticism of an artist here

Except that it seems that's all anyone does around here any more, and it's getting quite tiring.  "Yes sucks."  "Rush sucks."  "Jethro Tull sucks."  "Dream Theater sucks."  "Pink Floyd sucks."  It seems all anyone ever DOES in this forum any more is trash bands, no matter who they are.  I for one think it should be banned from the appreciation threads - they should be havens where one doesn't have to put up with that crap.

Believe me, I've seen stuff like what you're describing, and yes, it's quite irritating and boorish.  But Caio didn't come anywhere close to trashing Seventh Wonder; he made a legitimate criticism of the band, and you can legitimately disagree with him.  He has every right to criticize SW, just as you have every right to criticize maudlin of the Well or any band that you don't like.  If he had posted something like "Seventh Wonder sucks, they just copy every other prog metal band," it would have been one thing.  But instead he admitted their talent and then leveled a criticism of derivativeness, for which he gave several examples.  He didn't ridicule anyone for liking the band, as he admitted that he likes certain bands that have a derivative sound

Even on an appreciation thread, criticism can be beneficial and can actually help us to appreciate a band to the fullest extent; it's hardly "appreciation" to only heap praise on a band without acknowledging their weaknesses, just as it's not respect to a historical figure to brush over their faults and make an idol out of them; in fact, that's an abuse of that person's memory, and it's not history, it's hagiography.  If we had a Martin Luther appreciation thread, for example, it would be unfair to dismiss his anti-Semitic statements.  As a Lutheran, I honor and respect Luther for his bravery and excellent theology, but I also acknowledge that he had faults.  It would be a different matter entirely if someone came on the thread and said "Luther was a terrible person, he hated Jews."  That's being unfair in the opposite direction.

So what I'm saying is that we should engage discussion with those who criticize a band that we like, because we can learn something from that and come to appreciate the band more by acknowledging it's weaknesses.  People who are just trolling, on the other hand, should be ignored, because everyone can tell that they are merely being inflammatory, and if we don't pay any attention to them, they will have no reason to continue their actions, being attention seekers by definition.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 14:49

There's nothing wrong with voicing a criticism of an artist here

Except that it seems that's all anyone does around here any more, and it's getting quite tiring.  "Yes sucks."  "Rush sucks."  "Jethro Tull sucks."  "Dream Theater sucks."  "Pink Floyd sucks."  It seems all anyone ever DOES in this forum any more is trash bands, no matter who they are.  I for one think it should be banned from the appreciation threads - they should be havens where one doesn't have to put up with that crap.

Believe me, I've seen stuff like what you're describing, and yes, it's quite irritating and boorish.  But Caio didn't come anywhere close to trashing Seventh Wonder; he made a legitimate criticism of the band, and you can legitimately disagree with him.  He has every right to criticize SW, just as you have every right to criticize maudlin of the Well or any band that you don't like.  If he had posted something like "Seventh Wonder sucks, they just copy every other prog metal band," it would have been one thing.  But instead he admitted their talent and then leveled a criticism of derivativeness, for which he gave several examples.  He didn't ridicule anyone for liking the band, as he admitted that he likes certain bands that have a derivative sound

Even on an appreciation thread, criticism can be beneficial and can actually help us to appreciate a band to the fullest extent; it's hardly "appreciation" to only heap praise on a band without acknowledging their weaknesses, just as it's not respect to a historical figure to brush over their faults and make an idol out of them; in fact, that's an abuse of that person's memory, and it's not history, it's hagiography.  If we had a Martin Luther appreciation thread, for example, it would be unfair to dismiss his anti-Semitic statements.  As a Lutheran, I honor and respect Luther for his bravery and excellent theology, but I also acknowledge that he had faults.  It would be a different matter entirely if someone came on the thread and said "Luther was a terrible person, he hated Jews."  That's being unfair in the opposite direction.

So what I'm saying is that we should engage discussion with those who criticize a band that we like, because we can learn something from that and come to appreciate the band more by acknowledging it's weaknesses.  People who are just trolling, on the other hand, should be ignored, because everyone can tell that they are merely being inflammatory, and if we don't pay any attention to them, they will have no reason to continue their actions, being attention seekers by definition.

Jacob, you are my favorite person in this thread. Cool Hug

And the Dream Theater comments are here because they are probably the band that I know best besides Pink Floyd. Hell, I car recite most of their albums from start to finish LOL and have some totally unnecessary merchandise as well (like the cover albums and many other "official" bootlegs)! LOL 

Again, we are not trying to pull you away from the debate, dtguitarfan. Give us some insight on those guys. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 15:06
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Thanks Embarrassed.

Really, though, Geoff, I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns.  I want to make sure I don't come off that way.  I mean, I was just visiting the VdGG vs PF thread Wacko, so I know what you're talking about.  If we're going to try and decrease the negativity on this forum, we have to make sure that we accomodate constructive criticism and reasonable debate so that we can focus more effectively on the real troll-y and insulting stuff.

Anyway, I'm a bit in the dark right now; what exactly is going on with Kamelot (I think you mentioned this above, Geoff) and how is it affecting Seventh Wonder?
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 15:12

Thanks Embarrassed.

Really, though, Geoff, I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns.  I want to make sure I don't come off that way.  I mean, I was just visiting the VdGG vs PF thread Wacko, so I know what you're talking about.  If we're going to try and decrease the negativity on this forum, we have to make sure that we accomodate constructive criticism and reasonable debate so that we can focus more effectively on the real troll-y and insulting stuff.

Anyway, I'm a bit in the dark right now; what exactly is going on with Kamelot (I think you mentioned this above, Geoff) and how is it affecting Seventh Wonder?

There's another band I don't understand. I'm not a big fan either, but they have their share of good albums, which is the case of The Black Halo. Anyway, they were getting better and better with each passing album and then BAM, everything went downhill after Black Halo. What happened?
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 15:54

And, really dtguitarfan, I'm not trashing the guys. Maybe you should read my post(s) more carefully.

I did.  And here's what's pissing me off - you don't say "plagiarism" lightly.  There's a difference between constructive criticism, and saying "plagiarism".  There is a difference between saying "sounds like" and "plagiarism."  There is a difference between saying "this band emulates" and "plagiarism."  There is a difference between saying "quite similar to" and "plagiarism".  You sure as h*** better have a d*** good reason for using that word, and that's why I'm pissed off about someone coming into an "appreciation" thread and using words like that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 15:57

Check this thread for the answer to that:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87807

I was actually sick when I read the article in the link (very first sentence of my post) because I thought it meant the death of Seventh Wonder, and as I have mentioned they are second only to Dream Theater in my opinion, and I may actually love them more because they are poor starving artists.  But then when I read the statements from the band I got very hopeful - cautiously optimistic as I said.  Kamelot has a much bigger budget than Seventh Wonder, and a much bigger fan base, and I am hoping that this connection between the two bands give Seventh Wonder more recognition, and maybe they'll be able to quit their jobs and devote themselves full-time to music....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:30

I'm admitedly not a fan, but I can easily recognise their influences and they are so damn obvious it sometimes bears similarities with plagiarism, as far as I can tell from their latest album.

^^That's a bit different from actually calling them plagiarists.  Admittedly, he did call them the "SX equivalent of Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT" but if you read the entire post he's quite clear that he considers them talented and appreciates some of their work.  When you see any word used it's important to take it in context, and if you take "plagiarism" in context here it becomes clear that he's not using it provocatively.  Plagiarism is the theft of someone else's intellectual property, and if you read Caio's post it's clear that he doesn't mean that; he's merely misusing the word, which everyone does sometimes and doesn't make his post unacceptable or provocative.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:36

^^That's a bit different from actually calling them plagiarists. 

Yes, and my point is that word should NOT be used lightly, and then you yourself pointed out how he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal to through the word around:

Admittedly, he did call them the "SX equivalent of Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT"

Another favorite band of mind under the cutting edge of his derision.  I'm SICK of people waiting around for chances to pounce on bands they don't like, and it's one thing when it's a band that made it big and made money, but when it's a bunch of guys who have jobs and do music on the side - they should be off limits from that kind of s***, at least in an "appreciation" thread.  Appreciation threads are for appreciation.

Edited by dtguitarfan - June 23 2012 at 16:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:45

Yes, and my point is that word should NOT be used lightly, and then you yourself pointed out how he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal to through the word around:

Admittedly, he did call them the "SX equivalent of Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT"

Another favorite band of mind under the cutting edge of his derision.  I'm SICK of people waiting around for chances to pounce on bands they don't like, and it's one thing when it's a band that made it big and made money, but when it's a bunch of guys who have jobs and do music on the side - they should be off limits from that kind of s***, at least in an "appreciation" thread.  Appreciation threads are for appreciation.

He made a mistake.  He wasn't trying to be provocative, he just used the wrong word, which had stronger connotations associated with it.  I do that sometimes, and you do too, and so does everybody else.  This word being misused is particularly common, which makes it even more understandable.  I think Caio has made it clear enough by now that he wasn't trying to bash Seventh Wonder.  Every band has to deal with criticism, and I'm sure the guys in the band are used to it by now.  I already explained that criticism was an aid in full appreciation, so this thread is no different.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:50

He made a mistake.  He wasn't trying to be provocative, he just used the wrong word, which had stronger connotations associated with it.  I do that sometimes, and you do too, and so does everybody else.  This word being misused is particularly common, which makes it even more understandable.  I think Caio has made it clear enough by now that he wasn't trying to bash Seventh Wonder.  Every band has to deal with criticism, and I'm sure the guys in the band are used to it by now.  I already explained that criticism was an aid in full appreciation, so this thread is no different.

Ok, he hasn't said it was a mistake.  In any case, this is my #1 peeve about this forum - when an appreciation thread jumps to the top of the list that hasn't been there in a while, someone IMMEDIATELY jumps into the thread to say "HEY EVERYBODY!  GUESS WHY I DON'T LIKE THIS BAND?  HERE IS MY LIST OF GRIPES AGAINST THEM!  YAY ME!"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:58
Ok, here's why I get so ticked off to see someone using certain words to criticize this band - I have been going to Prog Power USA for 7 years now, and every year they give everyone a magazine filled with interviews of the bands.  I teared up when I read the Seventh Wonder interview - scroll down in the link below and read the answer to this question:
Milton: The story in Mercy Falls is very emotional, and Tommy's vocals and lyrics portrayed that immensely. I know it's a fictional story, but was there any sort of real-life connection with that helped you achieve such emotion? I mean, you can feel it through the music...

http://www.progpowerusa.com/xiii/media/interview_2010_seventhwonder.html

It hurt me to hear how hard these guys work, and how little they are appreciated for it - I mean, they have a lot of love from their fans, but it's not enough to pay the bills, and I think if anyone deserves to make a living through music it's a band like this that has undeniably achieved excellence through so much hard work.  You can't deny the hard work they've put into the mastery of their instruments (including vocals) when you hear these guys.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:09

Quite true. There is an specific term for what I mean in Portuguese, which is my mother tongue, BTW, bit I don't believe there is one in English with the same weight, which is why I said "bears similarities with plagiarism" and not accused them of plagiarism outright. 

I thank you for stepping in and defending my POV, Jacob, but I believe I'll be getting out of this thread. I don't believe there is any way to go further here.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:12

It hurt me to hear how hard these guys work, and how little they are appreciated for it - I mean, they have a lot of love from their fans, but it's not enough to pay the bills, and I think if anyone deserves to make a living through music it's a band like this that has undeniably achieved excellence through so much hard work.  You can't deny the hard work they've put into the mastery of their instruments (including vocals) when you hear these guys.

If Dream Theater invited them to open their shows, maybe they would get more attention and even be signed on a bigger label.Their musicianship is superb, it's indeed a shame they have so little appreciation.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:13

Quite true. There is an specific term for what I mean in Portuguese, which is my mother tongue
Alright, I can see now how you wouldn't understand why that word would raise fury, and I apologize for bringing it upon you.  But from a native English speaker - you have to be VERY careful how you use that word when talking about anything artistic.  It's almost as bad as accusing someone of doing unspeakable acts to children, as far as art goes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:14
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

If Dream Theater invited them to open their shows, maybe they would get more attention and even be signed on a bigger label.Their musicianship is superb, it's indeed a shame they have so little appreciation.

THIS!!!  MAN, I wish DT would do another Progressive Nations tour and have these guys as an opener!  I want to buy the $250 "meet and greet" ticket package once just to plant that little bug in their ears!
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:21

Ok, here's why I get so ticked off to see someone using certain words to criticize this band - I have been going to Prog Power USA for 7 years now, and every year they give everyone a magazine filled with interviews of the bands.  I teared up when I read the Seventh Wonder interview - scroll down in the link below and read the answer to this question:
Milton: The story in Mercy Falls is very emotional, and Tommy's vocals and lyrics portrayed that immensely. I know it's a fictional story, but was there any sort of real-life connection with that helped you achieve such emotion? I mean, you can feel it through the music...

IMHO music is put to use best when it channels life and emotions truly and without pretending. Sounds like this band is trying to do that. Which album would you recommend to listen first? I've been trying to get into a lot of new music lately, and they might be a nice addition to that Tongue Haven't heard anything from them so far. It's good to try out some new PROG METALZ every now and then LOL
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:28
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

IMHO music is put to use best when it channels life and emotions truly and without pretending. Sounds like this band is trying to do that. Which album would you recommend to listen first? I've been trying to get into a lot of new music lately, and they might be a nice addition to that Tongue Haven't heard anything from them so far. It's good to try out some new PROG METALZ every now and then LOL

Oooh, tough call - just don't listen to the first album "Become" first.  I've explained in this thread why.  I think you're in a good position to enjoy these guys as I see some things in your list of ratings, such as Dream Theater and Darkwater.  But here's a rundown of what exactly are the best points of each album in my opinion:

Waiting in the Wings - this is kind of an "AOR" situation, as I understand "AOR" to mean, which I might not fully.  But none of the songs have anything to do with each other, they're more part of a collection, like an artist's gallery, and the band does a great job of showing off their virtuosity in this album.

Mercy Falls - a concept album.  A WONDERFUL concept album.  The story is a bit confusing, though, and some of the "acting" by the "voice only" actors is not that great.  And they toned down the virtuosity here in order to concentrate more on telling a story with the music, but that virtuosity is still there, just not as in your face.

The Great Escape - I think they outdid themselves here.  Another "AOR" deal, but with an AMAZING 30 minute epic, and every single other song is just soooo good.  You might want to save this juicy album for after the other two so you aren't disappointed with them after this one.  Wink
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:31
^
Mercy Falls, best introduction to the band :
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>