Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Iona Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 23:54
Oh, I forgot; check out Epignosis for some good Christian symphonic prog.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
LirazelsOdyssey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 13:03
Oh I've been making a project for some time to find decent (IMO) Christian faith based music. Personally, I can't stand the CC stuff the radio plays (with certain exceptions b/c  of lyrics).  A couple of years ago I joined emusic and found some wonderful ones that way. I also googled Christain Progressive and found some. Here I will list and link to some I have found: 

Akacia- Much like Yes and ELP. 
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

Ascension Theory- Progressive Rock-leans toward metal at times. Not overtly Christian in lyics but the concepts are there.

Dave Bainbridge- Solo stuff from Iona member

Unitopia- A musical smorgasbord is what you get from them. They are prog but so many musical styles are woven throughout their compositions. If you love variety, you will love them. They are what I call "Christo-friendly". Not Christain per se but their lyics are kind of feel good hippie type, but more deep and thoughtful than that. Their music brings me closer to God personally, which is MY criteria for  what I categorize as God music. The Garden album is a masterpiece IMO.

America Gomorrah- More prog-rock. Overtly Christian and sort of focused on end time themes.

Saviour Machine- Prog-metal- This is the darling of the Christian Goth community. They are epic and they have a bunch of Book of Revelation based concept albums. Lyrically they are pretty dark and focus on the Antichrist a LOT and so I find their stuff kind of oppressive actually.. which is saying a lot cause I'm pretty dark myself and can handle dark themes well. I have a lot of their stuff and actually have an unfinished project going of pulling out their better and lighter more inspiring tracks to put in a compilation CD/playlist.

Revelation Project- Another end times focused act. 

Rick Wakeman has been doing  some great Christian stuff for some time now. I only found that out in the last couple of years. I have his Amazing Grace Album and his collaboration with Jon Anderson in 2010, The Living Tree.

BTW. I find a lot of uplift in Jon Anderson's solo stuff even though he does lean towards a New Age worldview. His stuff just makes me feel good and peaceful and paves to road to God for me. 

Also don't forget to check out this link to the CPR (Christian Progressive Rock) website:

For more Celtic Christian stuff check out: 

Jeff Johnson and Brian Dunning

Maire Brennan -former lead singer of Clanaad

Eden's Bridge

So now that I've combed through my collection and have given some offerings, I would like to hear some of the music you all have found that boosts your faith and brings you closer to God. A band doesn't have to be marketed as a "Christian Band" to be that. In fact it may be better if they aren't marketed that way. I wonder if once an artist gets put on that "Christian" track then their stuff gets sculpted to fit some record company's idea of what a homogenous Christian populous wants? It may be true for the majority of Christian culture, but not for me, so I've had to dig deep and search heavily. 

I've found some other great stuff that isn't prog but is nonetheless faith inspiring. If anyone is interested I'll post more of what I've found. 

Lirazel

Through forest dreary... Down paths of dread... Through vales of sorrow...
By dusk and dawning...By noon and night...He searches for me...

Ah Lirazel
My Love, he calls
Ah Lirazel
Oh return to me
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 17:46
^I responded in the other threadSmile
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12