Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 09:25
^ So I gather you are a breasts man LOL

Edited by Neelus - November 06 2012 at 09:36
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 12:33
The general listening public's obsession with "groove" has ended up in techno music.  The beat is pounded out with a simulated kick drum in 4/4 time by a computer so it can't get off time... and the mindless masses just love it because it is simple and relates to their own basic need for simplicity.

I think the great prog bands did implement "groove" at times and used it as a color to the sound or piece... and it was done tastefully.  Certainly Genesis did a lot of groove.  "Fly on the Windshield" for example has a heavy and slow groove.  Gentle Giant was all about grooving and did so tastefully often in odd meters.  Floyd too, certainly that long groovy stretch in "Echos" or "One of these Days"

But of course the prog bands stretched out beyond just groove and I think the musicians did not want to be limited to only "groove" but saw it as just a color or paint pot to dip into from time to time. 

Any form of music has it's rules, and prog is no exception.... but I would say it has the least amount of rules of any genre.. which makes it interesting for those who don't like a lot of rules. 

But make no mistake.. there are still rules... and good ones.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 13:52
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

The general listening public's obsession with "groove" has ended up in techno music.  The beat is pounded out with a simulated kick drum in 4/4 time by a computer so it can't get off time... and the mindless masses just love it because it is simple and relates to their own basic need for simplicity.I think the great prog bands did implement "groove" at times and used it as a color to the sound or piece... and it was done tastefully.  Certainly Genesis did a lot of groove.  "Fly on the Windshield" for example has a heavy and slow groove.  Gentle Giant was all about grooving and did so tastefully often in odd meters.  Floyd too, certainly that long groovy stretch in "Echos" or "One of these Days"But of course the prog bands stretched out beyond just groove and I think the musicians did not want to be limited to only "groove" but saw it as just a color or paint pot to dip into from time to time.  Any form of music has it's rules, and prog is no exception.... but I would say it has the least amount of rules of any genre.. which makes it interesting for those who don't like a lot of rules.  But make no mistake.. there are still rules... and good ones.

That is fairly well said on your part. I agree a lot with what you are saying in regards to 'groove ' in the way it has made a simplistic approach from public apeal. Well said. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
MikeDupont View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 13:51
 Just listen to the middle section of Easy Money by King Crimson. I could live on that groove forever. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 15:06
Originally posted by MikeDupont MikeDupont wrote:

Just listen to the middle section of Easy Money by King Crimson. I could live on that groove forever. 

Omg practically the whole album of LARKS TONGUE IN ASPIC grooves. It's a masterpiece of prog rock/jazz fusion.

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 16:00
^ Not exactly 100% of (of course), but some parts of it (the improv in the middle of Pt. 1 in particularly) certainly groove.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 16:16
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Not exactly 100% of (of course), but some parts of it (the improv in the middle of Pt. 1 in particularly) certainly groove.

You're right of course. I got a little too excited there.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 21:41
Speaking of Crimson, I realized I forgot to put "The Mincer" (which someone already mentioned) and "Sleepless" in my original list.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 21:55
Always thought CTTE  grooves--as does lot's of things Bruford plays on---they swing and groove.
beebs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 22:47
 I saw an early post bringing up 'Proclamation' by Gentle Giant as a piece of prog with 'groove', and now I'll add my own by the very same lads.

Back in 1975, I was a freshman at Michigan State U. and knew quite several people that were very into prog. A large university such as MSU is a huge breeding ground for cliques of prog-lovers. I roomed in a dorm with 4 other guys, sharing a 2-bedroom suite. One of my roomies was an African-American from Flint, MI named Willie, who had his own ideas of "good music". He rarely ever commented on what I listened to; never saying he enjoyed it or saying "That sucks!"

But I distinctly recall one Friday night when I stayed in (probably 'cause it was snowing like a bitch outside, which in central MI it tends to do in the Winter) and was listening to GG's newest release, "Free Hand". The opening track, "Just the Same", was playing when Willie returned from a night on the town with his girlfriend. I was playing my copy of "Free Hand" loudly enough. Willie came to the back of the suite where I had my stereo set up, and he was "grooving" while sliding back towards my nook. "DAMN.....", he crowed, "That song has got some bounce to it!" When I got perplexed and looked at him quizzically, he told me exasperatedly, "The BASS, man! LISTEN to the BASS!" I always just took Ray Shulman's zooping bass lines in that song for granted, but damn if Willie wasn't right. Right then and there my head was bopping and my feet were gliding!

So don't anyone ever say prog doesn't groove. If Gentle Giant did it.......prog HAS IT.
"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of one's own mind" * Ralph Waldo Emerson
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 23:39
Maybe our blues-loving friend did not exactly mean that prog does not groove; maybe he meant something else and used the wrong words, and we just started this thread and stretched it to six pages. LOL

Edited by Dayvenkirq - November 08 2012 at 23:40
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 03:24

Maybe our blues-loving friend did not exactly mean that prog does not groove; maybe he meant something else and used the wrong words, and we just started this thread and stretched it to six pages. LOL

Oh no no...he meant every word of it! Big smile...I drowned him with a summary of most of this thread, and a follow up is needed, so keep them coming! Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 14:12
^ We gave a s$%tload of examples and a follow-up is needed? Why? Confused

Edited by Dayvenkirq - November 09 2012 at 14:13
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 14:18
Big smile...oh sh*t, I am trapped in the middle....HELP!...but no, seriously, i think i will never turn him...it is not my life mission to do either...i was just curious to hear what the prog community thinks regarding this...i noticed some said that prog does not exactly groove, but by far most of the folks here feel that some of it at least does, which is what i agree with...so, mission accomplished, for me at least Wink 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 14:33
Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

Oh no no...he meant every word of it! Big smile...I drowned him with a summary of most of this thread, and a follow up is needed, so keep them coming! Big smile
You have a very nice avatar Clap
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 14:38

Good point. Smile

Anyway, here's a groovy song by Tull
areazione View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 21:30
Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

Spoke to a blues rock fanatic yesterday, and he told me the reason prog rock is not widely loved is the fact that it does not groove, and therefore has no soul. 
I tried to explain to him that complex rhythms has the ability to groove fantastically, it all depends where you place the accents.  He basically closed the argument by saying that most people like to groove, and few like prog, so let the evidence speak for itself.  We ended up chatting about the Allman Brothers, a band we both like, and agreed to disagree on the previous subject.  I dont know, does prog rock not groove?

To my knowledge and experience, the more people require groove and soul within music to appreciate it, the more they don't have any idea whatsoever of what they are referring to.

Groove, for too many, is the ability to shake your head to a 4/4. With regular up/down beats.
Soul is associated to a C minor scale. Perhaps diminished, If by then words talk about love & Co., even better and easier to grasp.

There is more groove in a Fripp's arpeggio than in a Salsa popular band. The fact that Fripp's arpeggios require deep attention from the listener implies they are perceived as "cold" and "rough". What we don't get is usually considered uninteresting.

Then blues... 100 years with the same pentatonic over and over, and accents I could place blindfold without knowing the song before. It is even more conservative than Classical and Jazz music. At least we've got Contemporary music and Free Jazz.

Umbra profunda sumus, ne nos vexetis, inepti; non vos, sed doctos tam grave quaerit opus
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 22:39
Originally posted by areazione areazione wrote:

Groove, for too many, is the ability to shake your head to a 4/4. With regular up/down beats.
Soul is associated to a C minor scale. Perhaps diminished, If by then words talk about love & Co., even better and easier to grasp.
God, I hope you don't take those definitions as "carved in stone".
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 23:45
Prog totally grooves. Why are you wasting your time? You will never ever be able to convince someone that the earth isn't flat, that black isn't white, that up isn't down...

The first prog records had grooves. And often if you held one up to a blacklight it might look totally kewl.

Anyway prog rock doesn't groove. Return your ass to Lady Gaga...

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 09 2012 at 23:50
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 23:54
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Anyway prog rock doesn't groove.

Why not? Evil Smile
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>