FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 233234235236237 320>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyitsthatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 12:50
currently reading Stephen King's "The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass"...it's taking a little while for the story to get started, but after the train flipout at the beginning I suppose you do need a calmdown LOL

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 12:39
Picked up Iain M Banks' Matter a couple of days ago - it's okay so far - it's supposed to be his most complex Culture novel yet ... time will tell Wink
What?
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 12:10
I've just finished:

Yevgeny Zamyatin - We

It is a fantastic dystopian novel and the end was not what I was expecting.  Thoroughly recommended!

It was a big influence on George Orwell too.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2008 at 11:58
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

Ursula K. LeGuin - The Dispossessed.

I don't usually read science fiction, but I'm glad I read this. I can't remember the last time a fictional book made me think so much.

Yeah that's a challenging book.

I read it for an english class during my first semester of college.  We had to write a paper on the book's use of daoist imagery and metaphor, and show how the concepts of yin and yang evolve through the book.   good times.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 19:16
I'm now halfway through Yvgeny Zamyatin's We and it's extraordinarily good.  Now, I thought Huxley's Brave New World was excellent, but so far I think We could be even better than that epic dystopia!

Edited by Geck0 - February 08 2008 at 19:17
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 19:11
Neil Gaiman's American Gods      really good
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 14:28
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

She's an author I want to investigate further, actually, because she's said to be one of the best SF/Fantasy writers around.

I'm not sure where to start with her, mind you.

I have many more books to read before even attempting any LeGuin though.

I'd start with The Left Hand of Darkness. It's a fascinating story that bears little resemblance to conventional sci-fi. It's more of a social study dressed in sci-fi clothing. Thumbs%20Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 12:04
She's an author I want to investigate further, actually, because she's said to be one of the best SF/Fantasy writers around.

I'm not sure where to start with her, mind you.

I have many more books to read before even attempting any LeGuin though.
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forgotten Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 11:29
Ursula K. LeGuin - The Dispossessed.

I don't usually read science fiction, but I'm glad I read this. I can't remember the last time a fictional book made me think so much.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 04:04

Yes, it's an Economics textbook.Geek
 Took an Econ class dealing with macroeconomics(first half of the book) this winter session. All I can say is that it is an eye opener, considering that almost every news story this pass week has been on something dealing with macroeconomics.

Edited by king of Siam - February 02 2008 at 04:04
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 17:33
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Originally posted by khammer99 khammer99 wrote:

Just finished A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings, and I'm currently working on the third book, A Storm of Swords, from George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. 
Only four of the seven books are published so far, but they're really good.  Not your typical fantasy stuff... more politics and intrigue, and then add the fact that there is no protagonist, so no character is safe, anyone can die at any moment.

These are excellent books! They're are several plot twists that keep things interesting, without bewildering the reading with endless complicated plots. For every few loose ends that get tied up, a few more are introduced, and so on. They will keep you wanting more.
  If you are a fan of these types of books, you will not be disappointed!

Just finished Storm of Swords, now on to Feast for Crows... which I haven't heard too many good things about, particularly because most of the POV characters are new... and I'm not terribly excited about waiting God knows how long for the next book once I finish this one!

I've got to admit, I wasnt that impressed with A Feast for Crows, it was twice as long as it needed to be and Cersie and Brienne made for dull main charecters IMO, a disappointment after the excellent Storm of Swords.

Martin is also taking his sweet time in writing A Dance of Dragons, considering he started it at the same time as AFfC.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 16:59
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Currently reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Very highly recommended. Also be sure to check out The Satanic Verses by the same author.

I second that; Salman Rushdie is an excellent writer. Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 16:26
Originally posted by Hatters Hatters wrote:

Currently reading House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. This book is crazy and scary. Check out the wiki for a description, I couldn't do it justice here. Needless to say it is brilliant and I have nearly finished it in about 2 1/2 weeks (it is 700 pages long).

Hell yeah!  that book is nuts, man.  When I read it, people kept asking me why I was reading a book upside-down LOL

I've tried 3 times so far to pick up his 2nd book Only Revolutions, but I just can't get into it, sadly.
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 16:24
Originally posted by khammer99 khammer99 wrote:

Just finished A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings, and I'm currently working on the third book, A Storm of Swords, from George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. 
Only four of the seven books are published so far, but they're really good.  Not your typical fantasy stuff... more politics and intrigue, and then add the fact that there is no protagonist, so no character is safe, anyone can die at any moment.

These are excellent books! They're are several plot twists that keep things interesting, without bewildering the reading with endless complicated plots. For every few loose ends that get tied up, a few more are introduced, and so on. They will keep you wanting more.
  If you are a fan of these types of books, you will not be disappointed!

Just finished Storm of Swords, now on to Feast for Crows... which I haven't heard too many good things about, particularly because most of the POV characters are new... and I'm not terribly excited about waiting God knows how long for the next book once I finish this one!
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 16:16
I'm about to start Yevgeny Zamyatin's We.  I've read the intro already and I'm looking very much forward to reading the actual novel.

Edited by Geck0 - February 01 2008 at 17:19
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 22:26
I don't have either of those, Philéas, but I do have Shalimar the Clown to read though.

I've finally finished all my R.A. Salvatore Dark Elf books (about 12 all together, I believe), that I have (there's only one left to read, but two further books are also due for release over the next few years), so now I plan to read his The Cleric Quintet, which is 5 books about a different set of characters.

Edited by Geck0 - January 26 2008 at 22:57
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philéas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 19:17
Currently reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Very highly recommended. Also be sure to check out The Satanic Verses by the same author.
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikerinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 00:01
Finished Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception" & "Heaven and Hell".  Each about 100 pages, but despite the diminutive length, two of the most insightful books I've ever read.  They both deal with exploring uncharted territories of the enigmatic mind.  In the former, Huxley visits them on a spiritual mescalin trip, and the latter, how these unknown areas are expressed and explored by means of art, color, and symbolism.  Highly recommended, I finished each in day or so and learned more from the two books collectively than in the last month of school.

Edited by Bluesaga - January 26 2008 at 00:03
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 12:19
Finished Patti Boyd's "Wonderful Tonight" autobiography yesterday.  It's a good look at the rock star life from the point of view of the wife/girlfriend angle.  No big insights to relate but an enjoyable read with some cool photos to gander at all the same.  Still pales in comparison to Eric Clapton's book, though.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 07:19
Wuthering Height I could tolerate, a book I detested is Pride and Prejudice. Aggh just the thought... maybe I'll give it a go in ten years or so..

I'm close to finishing Hesse's Steppenwolf.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 233234235236237 320>