Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 20:51
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Went on a Hesse kick in the late 70's and read most of his novels.....I found Siddhartha, Steppenwolf, and The Glass Bead Game a bit boring but I enjoyed Demian and Narcissus And Goldman.

Loved Siddhartha at first read, coming back to it from time to time. Steppenwolf and Glass par contre...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 02:09
I found the writing Siddhartha absolutely beautiful, and certain parts very insightful or at least thought-provoking... but I often got the feeling that many of the religious themes went over my head since my knowledge of Hindu and Buddhist theology is very basic.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 05:55
Not something I've read lately, but I just uploaded some heavily revised versions of several book reviews I've written for this site to my GoodReads account.

Ian Abrahams - Hawkwind: Sonic Assassins
Hugh Barker - Faking It
Frank Moriarty - Seventies Rock

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 20:18
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I found the writing Siddhartha absolutely beautiful, and certain parts very insightful or at least thought-provoking... but I often got the feeling that many of the religious themes went over my head since my knowledge of Hindu and Buddhist theology is very basic.

I think all of his novels are well written but I found Siddhartha somewhat boring as a novel....and I actually spent a good deal of time in college studying eastern philosophy-Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism. I actually practiced both Vipassana and Zen bench sitting for several years.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 04:03
Interesting! I'll probably get around to reading Demian or Narcissus & Goldmund at some point, as well as The Glass-Bead Game. If Siddhartha is any indication, though, it might be worthy brushing up on some of Hesse's inspirations both literary and philosophical beforehand.
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 08:45
Just finished Fragment, funny novel about a "Lost World"

"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 08:54

Interesting! I'll probably get around to reading Demian or Narcissus & Goldmund at some point, as well as The Glass-Bead Game. If Siddhartha is any indication, though, it might be worthy brushing up on some of Hesse's inspirations both literary and philosophical beforehand.

While I've since then read the whole thing and very much appreciate it, back when I first started out with The Glass-Bead Game I found myself completely overwhelmed by the slow and painstakingly descriptive start of it. Once you get past the first 40-50 pages it really unfolds though. Nearly as good as The Steppenwolf, but not quite imo.
Oh and I absolutely love Siddharta.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 23:06

Demian and Narcissus are 'easier' reads and are more traditional in their story elements.
I never really dug into Hesse's  background but  In college in the early 70's a lot of us were into 'altered states of consciousness' , music, and certain authors like Hesse. I also read Alan Watts and Ram Dass....and sci-fi authors like Asimov, Clarke , and Heinlein. Those were the days.
Cool
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 02:47
Looks like Thomas Pynchon has a new book out. Apparently it's a detective novel like Inherent Vice, yet set on 9/11 this time.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 14:48

Looks like Thomas Pynchon has a new book out. Apparently it's a detective novel like Inherent Vice, yet set on 9/11 this time.

Haven't read any Pynchon for a long time. Is Inherent Vice any good..?
Getting ready to read Iain Banks last Culture novel-Hydrogen Sonata- ....he passed away recently. I'll miss the Culture series novels; best literate sci-fi I have ever read.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 03:26
Inherent Vice is nowhere as ambitious as most of his other books, but the type of humour is unmistakably Pynchonian. I might have enjoyed it more than other Pynchon fans, though: You need an in-depth knowledge of the hard-boiled detective genre's history, especially the stylistic shifts it went through in the 1970s when the novel is set, in order to really "get" some the humour.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 22 2013 at 03:28
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 07:36
So far....so good.Hooked me from the beginning.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 07:38

Started "The Road" by McCarthy since it's like, the greatest novel ever and all according to a few people/sites from the internet LOL

Hope so with all this hype!
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 08:31
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

This is The Shinning Part 2, right? The first is good, although not my fav book of Stephen King.
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 08:40
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Started "The Road" by McCarthy since it's like, the greatest novel ever and all according to a few people/sites from the internet LOL

I didn't put it down at all while i was reading it. Even ended up missing the first hour of the Sunday Night Game that week while I finished it.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 08:49
Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

This is The Shinning Part 2, right? The first is good, although not my fav book of Stephen King.
I read about this book being released this weekend and it certainly piqued my interest.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 09:01
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

I didn't put it down at all while i was reading it. Even ended up missing the first hour of the Sunday Night Game that week while I finished it.
This is what I mean. Well, come Friday afternoon I really buckle down with it, hoping it can live up these expectations.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 09:26
I will seriously reconsider our internet/texting friendship if you don't like the book.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 10:24

Oh snap D:

edit: Glad someone mentioned Pynchon, another I've been meaning to try. Already see my spending budget for this paycheck being used on books.

Edited by JJLehto - September 26 2013 at 10:25
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 00:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

I read about this book being released this weekend and it certainly piqued my interest.

Yes,it's the sequel to The Shining.I'm only about halfway through,but really like what I have read so far.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 320>