Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 316317318319320>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 04:42
I'm currently enjoying reading Christopher Paolini's To Sleep in a Sea of Stars. It's been a while that I've read some good sci-fi that could actually keep my attention.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 05:27
I have gone hog wild on RPG sourcebooks recently. I don't even play that much.

As for actual book books, I've been enjoying some Flann O'Brien recently.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 07:31
I have quite enjoyed The Three Body Problem trilogy (trilogy is actually known as Remembrance of Earth's Past) by Cixin Liu.  Absolutely fascinating hard sci-fi.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 08:51
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I have quite enjoyed The Three Body Problem trilogy (trilogy is actually known as Remembrance of Earth's Past) by Cixin Liu.  Absolutely fascinating hard sci-fi.

I haven't read this particular book, but I know it's very highly rated. However, I can heartily recommend the Dandelion Dynasty series by Ken Liu, who is the guy who translated Cixin Liu's work in English. I am about to start reading the fourth and final instalment of this great series, which is fantasy rather than sci-fi. Some more information for you: https://www.simonandschuster.com/series/The-Dandelion-Dynasty
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 11:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I haven't read this particular book, but I know it's very highly rated. However, I can heartily recommend the Dandelion Dynasty series by Ken Liu, who is the guy who translated Cixin Liu's work in English. I am about to start reading the fourth and final instalment of this great series, which is fantasy rather than sci-fi. Some more information for you: https://www.simonandschuster.com/series/The-Dandelion-Dynasty

Awesome suggestions! Since I suddenly have "all the time in the world" I've started a sci-fi kick. 
Did you guys like any of N.K. Jamisin's series--especially the acclaimed "Broken Earth" series?

Drew Fisher
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 13:32
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Awesome suggestions! Since I suddenly have "all the time in the world" I've started a sci-fi kick. 
Did you guys like any of N.K. Jamisin's series--especially the acclaimed "Broken Earth" series?

I've read the first two books of the trilogy, but still have to read the final one. Though they are very well-written and definitely thought-provoking, I found them extremely depressing.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 15:22

I've read the first two books of the trilogy, but still have to read the final one. Though they are very well-written and definitely thought-provoking, I found them extremely depressing.

Yes, it's a pretty bleak world/universe. But the Dandelion Dynasty series is not?

Drew Fisher
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 16:04

Hello Raff!  I've ordered the first one to see what I think, thank you.  Always looking for good books that come with well-qualified recommendations.

I hope you and Mickey are doing well, haven't heard much of you in quite some time.  Good to "see" you again!  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 16:07

I have not read any of this author, either, but my reading is very far-flung.  Presently reading a book about the Oxford English Dictionary's creation and the contributions by a very unlikely personage, indeed, an American doctor/ex-military man who was put into an asylum for the criminally insane in Victorian England.  Truth is stranger than fiction, quite often.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 20:14
I just read Isaac Asimov's Foundations book #1. I actually read it in about 4 or 5 days, which is sadly, quite unusual for me.  I used to read fairly vivaciously before I went to college, but since college, working, and finding the internet, I tend to only read a couple of books a year and they could take me months to read as I might read a couple of chapters and not pick it up again for a month.  It is an interesting Sci-Fi concept.  It looks like a series of 6 or 7 books though, so I'm not sure if/when I will get around to the other books.  
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 20:22
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I just read Isaac Asimov's Foundations book #1. I actually read it in about 4 or 5 days, which is sadly, quite unusual for me.  I used to read fairly vivaciously before I went to college, but since college, working, and finding the internet, I tend to only read a couple of books a year and they could take me months to read as I might read a couple of chapters and not pick it up again for a month.  It is an interesting Sci-Fi concept.  It looks like a series of 6 or 7 books though, so I'm not sure if/when I will get around to the other books.  

Asimov eventually folded all his novels into the Foundation concept including his Robot stories but you only really need to read the novels that make up the original Foundation trilogy; Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation.

I read them before any of the Star Wars films were released and I always thought the original trilogy was a big influence on the Star Wars franchise.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 20:27
I can definitely see the Star Wars influence with the references to the Galactic Empire, as I thought the same thing as I was reading it.  Good to know about just reading the two other books.  I actually stumbled across the first book at the Dollar Store when I was looking for a book to read this weekend.  I had read I Robot, way back when, so this seemed like a good book to read.  I will need to see if I can track down the other books.  Maybe a visit to the library is in order.  :)  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 20:30
I myself have just caught up with "Snow Crash" one of the original cyberpunk novels, by Neal Stephenson. This is a highly acclaimed novel so I thought I would give it a go.

There are really two aspects to the novel, a straight out action adventure type story and a section that is referred to by most who review the novel as an infodump concerning the origins of language.

People are very much divided on which aspect of the story they prefer but I definitely preferred the infodump sections as I found them very thought provoking.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - July 20 2022 at 20:35
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 03:35
I just read "The Beetle" by Richard Marsh, a horror novel featuring an ancient Egyptian who is a shapeshifter. The novel came out the same year as Bram Stoker's "Dracula" (1897) and was the more successful of these two back then.

The story is told from the perspective of four people and is too complex to summarize in two sentences. Fascinating book and a worthy addition to our collection of old horror novels (19th century up to the 1950s).

We much prefer these old horror novels to modern ones, with some exceptions like for example "Krabat" by Otfried Preußler from 1972. I read "Krabat" when I was about twelve years old and had nightmares for about a week after that. Probably the most scary book I ever read, with perhaps the exception of "Les Chants de Maldoror" by Comte de Lautréamont.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 21 2022 at 03:52

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 19:38
I mentioned this before but The Culture series by Ian Banks is one of the best hard sci-fi series  I have read and I have been reading sci-fi for over 50 years.

Edited by dr wu23 - July 22 2022 at 19:40
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 16:28
Some sci-fi classics:

Arthur C. Clarke - 2001: A Space Odyssey
Ray Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles (still reading)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 18:48
Reading book 2 in VE Schwab's series.....Shades of Magic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Darker_Shade_of_Magic
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 20:01

The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government. 

David Talbot 

Edited by tszirmay - August 09 2022 at 20:03
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 20:11
I've been catching up with Terry Pratchett recently and although to me his stories don't seem to amount to much, that doesn't really matter because it's more about his writing style. As with Douglas Adams it seems that Pratchett is more about playing with standard fantasy/ sci-fi tropes and clichés in what I find to be a very breezy and engaging way. At times I am not really certain what is going on but at the same time it doesn't really matter to me because I find myself being swept along by the flow of it. I find his stories challenging in a non threatening way.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 09:33
Halfway through Stephen King’s The Institute - and of course it’s awesome. Far and away my favourite author and this one is shaping up as one of his best. He’s so good at writing stories about kids….
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 316317318319320>