Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikerinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 23:24
I just finished this for summer reading:

Once I got into it, I couldn't stop... I especially liked the characters and the plot twists (like the one at the end Shocked).  The only thing I didn't really like was the ending, but I'll probably be picking up the sequel sometime (there are 3 more books, but apparently the last two aren't great).  I'd recommend this to any fans of science fiction.

Anyone else read this book?  Seeing as it was on my reading list, I would think it's popular.

Edited by Bluesaga - July 21 2006 at 23:36
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 00:21
Reading now a book of Gabriel Liiceanu, titled "About Lies", from a conference he once took part at.
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daz2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 11:37
The Take - Martina Cole....What a brilliant book!!
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 06:20
J.D.Salinger - Raise High The Roof Beem, Carpenters
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverstoned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 09:04
"The man without frontiers- Modified states of consciouness" by Pierre Weil.

I read again big classic "Doors of perception" by Huxley and it's really a must.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 09:13
Originally posted by Bluesaga Bluesaga wrote:

I just finished this for summer reading:

Once I got into it, I couldn't stop... I especially liked the characters and the plot twists (like the one at the end Shocked).  The only thing I didn't really like was the ending, but I'll probably be picking up the sequel sometime (there are 3 more books, but apparently the last two aren't great).  I'd recommend this to any fans of science fiction.

Anyone else read this book?  Seeing as it was on my reading list, I would think it's popular.

Clap GREAT BOOK.

I actually just read it recently (as a college junior) as a part of a sci fi literature class.  I must have been the only nerd in the America who made it to age 21 without reading this book!  It's a true classic of sci fi.  I want to read more of them, but I've heard the rest of the Ender series isn't as good, but the Ender's Shadow series is better. 

I'll get to those eventually, but for now I'm finishing the Dune series. Thumbs Up
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 09:19
Originally posted by Bluesaga Bluesaga wrote:

I just finished this for summer reading:Once I got into it, I couldn't stop... I especially liked the characters and the plot twists (like the one at the end ).  The only thing I didn't really like was the ending, but I'll probably be picking up the sequel sometime (there are 3 more books, but apparently the last two aren't great).  I'd recommend this to any fans of science fiction.Anyone else read this book?  Seeing as it was on my reading list, I would think it's popular.

Awesome book Mike,with a great twist at the end.

I stated about 3 pages back that I was re-reading the Ender series,and am re-reading Xenocide right now.There are 5 books in the series.

There is also another series of books called The Shadow Cycle,which are parallel novels to Ender's Game,and are told from the perspective of the character Bean.Those books are very good too and they are Ender's Shadow,Shadow of the Hegemon,Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant.

You might be interested to know that they are making a film of Ender's Game too.

Edited by TheProgtologist - August 01 2006 at 09:20

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 09:30
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

You might be interested to know that they are making a film of Ender's Game too.

It better not suck, but chances are it will. Cry
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glass house Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 09:56
reading this one and can't wait for the next part!:

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 11:55
I finished Marguerite Yourcenar's historical novel The Abyss. Now I'm reading "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" and Peter von Bagh's book about the Finnish director Aki Kaurismäki.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 12:05
Still working through "Ficciones" by Jorge Luis Borges.

Came back from the charity shop with the following, however:

I've read Good Omens before, but I borrowed it from a friend and I've been after a copy for a while.  It's a little warn, but I'm not too fussed.

The other two I haven't read.

I know Jody will appreciate the Red Dwarf book however.

All for £4.97.

Any comments on the Vonnegut?
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 12:10
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Still working through "Ficciones" by Jorge Luis Borges.

Yeah, Borges's books are very hard to understand. Usually it takes me 2 or more readings to understand it totally. It happens the same to you ?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 12:19
Yes it does, but I always seem to read them when I'm tired, which doesn't help.  The last few have been easier to read.

By the way, I realised that I have read "The Circular Ruins" before.  A great story that one.  I'm almost done with the Ficciones part now and am almost onto the second part.

I think I have "The Garden of Forking Parths" to read.  I've read a different translation of if before, but it's always nice to refresh yourself with it.

Oh and "The Library of Babel" was also a little confusing, but I get the general idea of it.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:07
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Still working through "Ficciones" by Jorge Luis Borges.Came back from the charity shop with the following, however:I've read Good Omens before, but I borrowed it from a friend and I've been after a copy for a while.  It's a little warn, but I'm not too fussed.The other two I haven't read.I know Jody will appreciate the Red Dwarf book however.All for £4.97.Any comments on the Vonnegut?

We have Infinity... and Better than Life,that is all we can find in stores here in the States.

Some parts of both books are very different from the series though.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:10
I was lucky to pick this up second hand for either £0.99 or £1.99!  It's a little warn, but it's got all its pages, as far as I can tell.

Oh I know they'll differ from the series, but I am hoping for similar humour.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:17
Question:

Has anyone read the 'His Dark Materials' series by Phillip Pullman?
It consists of 3 books: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.
I read the first one, and while it was good, I wasn't terribly impressed.... but I've heard the rest of the series is much better.

can anyone comment?
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:18
I've heard a radio adaptation of "The Amber Spyglass" and it was rather good.  Not read the books though, sorry.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:20
Currently reading:

The Real Frank Zappa Book
Something from the Nightside
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:23
Can someone comment on the Kurt Vonnegut, I'm just curious... thanks!
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glass house Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 15:03
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Question:

Has anyone read the 'His Dark Materials' series by Phillip Pullman?
It consists of 3 books: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.
I read the first one, and while it was good, I wasn't terribly impressed.... but I've heard the rest of the series is much better.

can anyone comment?

Just a simple comment, buy them!!  They are worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 320>