Topic Closed2013 MLB Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 16:24
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Situation and credentials shouldn't affect the decision to have him ejected. It's either right or wrong based entirely on what he did at the plate. 

Still, it's a big boy game, and if you look at the replay, Cabrera wasn't being dramatic or demonstrative. He didn't even step out of the batter's box. Perhaps it's time to call balls and strike electronically (which would be better than the bizarre strike zone Fairchild was using for either team), then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 17:51
Doesn't matter what it looked like. You can mutter any number of derisive things to an ump.

On another note though, I'd love to electronically track balls/strikes.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 09:26
Reds set a franchise record last night with 20 strikeouts in 11 innings and still lost???

What a weird season it has been.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 10:12
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Doesn't matter what it looked like. You can mutter any number of derisive things to an ump.

On another note though, I'd love to electronically track balls/strikes.
Fairchild was the umpire who ejected Luke Putkonen and Jim Leyland in a game against the White Sox after Putkonen threw a pitch behind Ramirez.  This followed Chris Sale throwing a pitch at Prince Fielder's head following a Miguel Cabrera home run.  I believe that there was probably some carryover from that incident involved in Cabrera being ejected.  As a general rule an umpire is not going to run a player for arguing balls and strikes if he isn't showing him up, which clearly Cabrera was not showing him up.  I am curious as to what "magic" words Cabrera had to have muttered to get ejected from the game given the circumstances and whatnot.  Fortunately for the Tigers it didn't cost them the game.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 10:21
I can think of any number of phrases. Here's one: This gringo must be f**king blind.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 10:34
That is about how I explained it to my nephew yesterday. 

Nephew:  "Why did the umpire eject Miggy?"
Uncle: "Because Miggy said the magic words."
Nephew: "What magic words?"
Uncle:  "Are you blind?"
Nephew:  "Why did the umpire eject Leyland?"
Uncle:  "Because Leyland asked the umpire "why did you eject Miggy?" and the umpire said "because Miggy called me blind" and Leyland replied "well, you are blind".
Nephew laughed and uncle averted explaining which magic words Miggy said that Nephew had probably heard but Uncle doesn't want to take credit for teaching him for fear of the wrath of Uncle's sister.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 11:14
I don't know very much about Jose Iglesias but at first blush I feel as though the Tigers got jobbed on this deal.  I am not a big fan of players who can't hit and Iglesias sounds like that kind of player.  I guess it will depend on whether we traded for the next Derek Jeter or if we traded for the next Ramon Santiago.  By all accounts, Avasail Garcia is a 5-tool player who has been nicknamed Little Miggy.  Partly because he is from Venezuela and resembles Miguel Cabrera but also because he has the potential to be a similar hitter.  Obviously, only the future will tell on that as well.  But to top it off they also had to give up Brian Villareal, who was at one time last year talked about as heir apparent to Jose Valverde as the Tigers' closer.  He is one of those pitchers with real good stuff but with control issues.  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 20:48
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I don't know very much about Jose Iglesias but at first blush I feel as though the Tigers got jobbed on this deal.  I am not a big fan of players who can't hit and Iglesias sounds like that kind of player.  I guess it will depend on whether we traded for the next Derek Jeter or if we traded for the next Ramon Santiago.  By all accounts, Avasail Garcia is a 5-tool player who has been nicknamed Little Miggy.  Partly because he is from Venezuela and resembles Miguel Cabrera but also because he has the potential to be a similar hitter.  Obviously, only the future will tell on that as well.  But to top it off they also had to give up Brian Villareal, who was at one time last year talked about as heir apparent to Jose Valverde as the Tigers' closer.  He is one of those pitchers with real good stuff but with control issues.  

I think it's a very good trade, and one the Tigers had to make (given that Jhonny is obviously going to get suspended). There are several Youtube highlight reels of Iglesias' fielding. There's even a Youtube channel...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HC92SOkIv5DWE

...where you can catch his plays. The amount of space he covers from 2nd to 3rd base and out in the outfield is tremendous, he's got a cannon for an arm, and he'll definitely make up for Cabrera's limited mobility at third. Watch some of those plays and know Perralta could not even come close to fielding the balls which Iglesias gets too easily. A ground ball pitcher like Porcello will become better. Limiting hits is almost as good as getting hits if you're that good.

Loved Lil' Miggy (Avi) while he was here, but I can't see Avisail breaking the starting lineup here in the next couple years. Tigers basically traded a potential All Star OF for a certain Gold Glove SS. Villareal was not going to be called up this year either.

And you can blame Jhonny for this trade. Selfish players selling out their teammates.

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 31 2013 at 20:52
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 12:32
Iglesias did look really good with the glove yesterday and even add a couple of hits with his bat.

Apparently Jhonny has accepted his 50-game suspension so I have to assume that he is guilty.  I doubt that he is any more guilty than many other players, he just happened to get caught along with the other 12 guys that are being suspended.  i.e. he did a worse job of covering his tracks.

He didn't use the president of his Charitable organization to buy the PEDs for him like Robinson Cano.  (at least that was one of the earlier rumors).
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 16:54
Despite the kind of season we've had, it feels nice to have this as your closer.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 18:52
Hello New York!  The Tigers are in town.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 22:56
Good game.  1st time since 1999 that the Tigers got to Mariano Rivera.  They lost that game in 1999 too.  Oh well.  Stranded way too many men on base during the course of the game.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 16:02
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 15:20
Wow! Just Wow!  The Tigers get to Mariano Rivera for the 2nd time this weekend.  Home runs from Cabrera and Victor Martinez.  Tie game 4 -4 in the bottom of the 9th.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 15:30
Unbelievable.  Brent Gardner beats 'em again. 
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 21:31
Tigers and The Dodgers for the World Series?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2013 at 02:23
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Tigers and The Dodgers for the World Series?

Tigers probably. Dodgers, probably not. They are very hot right now, but they will cool off, and I don't think they're good enough to continue this level.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 16:19
Ryne Sandberg as manager of the Phils, I wish the cubs had him for a manager. I think he will be good at it.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Ryne Sandberg as manager of the Phils, I wish the cubs had him for a manager. I think he will be good at it.

I remember Ryan Sandberg. He played 2nd base for the cubs. Yeah. That would be an awesome fit. Great player.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 18:45
Hall of Famer. Class Act.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>