Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuperstitious with your prog ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 13:17
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I do recall though, that I saw the Flower Kings perform on Sept. 8, 2001.  I picked up their just released that day album, the Rainmaker.  The first track, Last Minute On Earth, was a favorite on the first couple listens.  A couple days later, a large number of people experienced their last minute on earth literally.  I wasn't able to listen to the song or album for a couple months after that.  So not superstitious really, but just a disturbing coincidental occurrence.
Together with the coincidence of DT's Live Scenes From New York original cover.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:46
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I listen to Vangelis's album THE CITY the night before my Marathons. Never had an injury and have always finished those 42k beasts. Got one this Sunday (may 5th) so I got that album nice and ready! :)

Best of luck to you mate. Glad I'm not the only progger here who runs marathons. Big smile

No you are not. 42k down the hatch as of Sunday. Great experience. Came home and listened to a bunch of prog and of course thanked the VANGELIS god for keeping me alive.
I think that my cousin ran the Pittsburgh marathon that day.  Is that the one that you ran?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:53
I'm not superstitious as far as I know, but have been known to "knock on wood" from time to time after making a definitive statement (an act I tend to think of more as hedging my bets than as real superstition).

I do recall though, that I saw the Flower Kings perform on Sept. 8, 2001.  I picked up their just released that day album, the Rainmaker.  The first track, Last Minute On Earth, was a favorite on the first couple listens.  A couple days later, a large number of people experienced their last minute on earth literally.  I wasn't able to listen to the song or album for a couple months after that.  So not superstitious really, but just a disturbing coincidental occurrence.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I never listen to Prog when there is a "Q" in the month. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE) or any Jethro Tull during a Sealed Knot reenactment of the Battle of Basing House (October 13, 1645 @ 3.17 pm, moved to the scout hut if raining). I have not played Three Friends when stepping on cracks in the pavement, or Three Of A Perfect Pair while walking under ladders, or Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted when opening an umbrella indoors, however since bad things happen in threes just to be safe I've not played Three Sides Live while breaking a mirror. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I am of the firm belief that liking Kansas does not cause hives but I'm taking no chances just in case I'm wrong (touch wood). I suspect that listening to Clutching At Straws when you are clutching at straws would be foolhardy or wise or both or neither but would be nothing more than clutching at straws. Even if you pay me I will not listen to Barclay James Harvest's Octoberon all the way through. Playing track five from John Cale's Paris 1919 album during a Dream Theaer performance is unlucky. I once purchased a Magma album and survived, but I have not ridden a horse since that day. I strongly believe it is extremely unlucky to review an album until you've heard it at least once. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I broke my arm falling off my motorcycle while riding to college one morning in 1978 and a mere 29 years later I ordered Phideaux's Doomsday Afternoon from Amazon and didn't like it one bit - that cannot be a coincidence... stranger things are at play than can be dreamt of in Heaven and Earth, or things in your philosophy Horatio (to paraphrase Kismet Hardy), messing with retroactive power like that is beyond our understanding or belief... I think playing all Flower Kings albums simultaenously would probably result in you never being born at all ... the last person to attempt this is standing right he- well he was here a minute ag- who? What? I would advise anyone against going swimming until at least one hour after listening to Pawn Hearts and saying the title of Yes's fifth album in reverse word-order will summon the devil (but he won't turn up owing to a prior engagement). Listening to Genesis causes déjà vu.

I nominate this for post of the year.

Seconded.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:36
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

I never listen to Prog when there is a "Q" in the month. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE) or any Jethro Tull during a Sealed Knot reenactment of the Battle of Basing House (October 13, 1645 @ 3.17 pm, moved to the scout hut if raining). I have not played Three Friends when stepping on cracks in the pavement, or Three Of A Perfect Pair while walking under ladders, or Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted when opening an umbrella indoors, however since bad things happen in threes just to be safe I've not played Three Sides Live while breaking a mirror. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I am of the firm belief that liking Kansas does not cause hives but I'm taking no chances just in case I'm wrong (touch wood). I suspect that listening to Clutching At Straws when you are clutching at straws would be foolhardy or wise or both or neither but would be nothing more than clutching at straws. Even if you pay me I will not listen to Barclay James Harvest's Octoberon all the way through. Playing track five from John Cale's Paris 1919 album during a Dream Theaer performance is unlucky. I once purchased a Magma album and survived, but I have not ridden a horse since that day. I strongly believe it is extremely unlucky to review an album until you've heard it at least once. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I broke my arm falling off my motorcycle while riding to college one morning in 1978 and a mere 29 years later I ordered Phideaux's Doomsday Afternoon from Amazon and didn't like it one bit - that cannot be a coincidence... stranger things are at play than can be dreamt of in Heaven and Earth, or things in your philosophy Horatio (to paraphrase Kismet Hardy), messing with retroactive power like that is beyond our understanding or belief... I think playing all Flower Kings albums simultaenously would probably result in you never being born at all ... the last person to attempt this is standing right he- well he was here a minute ag- who? What? I would advise anyone against going swimming until at least one hour after listening to Pawn Hearts and saying the title of Yes's fifth album in reverse word-order will summon the devil (but he won't turn up owing to a prior engagement). Listening to Genesis causes déjà vu.

Yeah. Dean has really been on his game lately. He is defiantely not senile.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:34
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I listen to Vangelis's album THE CITY the night before my Marathons. Never had an injury and have always finished those 42k beasts. Got one this Sunday (may 5th) so I got that album nice and ready! :)

Best of luck to you mate. Glad I'm not the only progger here who runs marathons. Big smile

No you are not. 42k down the hatch as of Sunday. Great experience. Came home and listened to a bunch of prog and of course thanked the VANGELIS god for keeping me alive.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 16:28
I always have a premonition that a spinning, mirrored ball will appear just at the beginning of a live performance of "Close To The Edge."  

And at the end as well.

Edited by cstack3 - May 08 2013 at 16:28
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 02:41

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 17:03

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I would have thought his `Chariots Of Fire' soundtrack would have been very appropriate for any marathons, Nick! You can also imagine moving in slow motion as you cross the finish line!

Oh I can and I will!!! Na I gotta be cool and not joke around cause of the whole Boston bombing at their last marathon. Otherwise my good friend I would! And you are right. Chariots would be more appropriate, but the CITY sedates and relaxes me more. Better ambience for me. :) The Procession gets me ready everytime.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:01
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Moshkito, you don't understand this thread.

Hey Professor ... you must not know either, since you are not capable of explaining it ... but then, English was never known for being a precise language, specially in America where they have ebonics, not grammar!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 12:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE)

I tried that once, never again.

Heck ... even I have tried it on our Adam and Eve suits ... and the girl and I had some fun to Karn Evil! ... wait ... was it Tarkus? ... nooo ... it was ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:59

Now THAT is supertitious, but it's great !
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:40

I would have thought his `Chariots Of Fire' soundtrack would have been very appropriate for any marathons, Nick! You can also imagine moving in slow motion as you cross the finish line!
javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:34
I never listen to Mahavishnu's Birds of Fire, or any Univers Zero or Magma record during full moon nights.
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 21:15
3almost46yea View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 17:15
I never listen to Fylingdale Flyer whenever being near the Nuclear missiles, and on the clear nights when NLOs could show up out of nowhere. 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:08
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

Don't know if this counts but, I like to listen to Cinema Show or Counting Out Time before I see my favorite girl in the morning. Wink

Outstanding!!!!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Tubes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 20:42
Don't know if this counts but, I like to listen to Cinema Show or Counting Out Time before I see my favorite girl in the morning. Wink
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:57
Not superstitious, but I am rather obsessive-compulsive. I refuse to break up any album I would regard as at least a 4.5 on my scale. There are some I will only listen to on long car trips as I can more or less reasonably assume they won't be interrupted. Some I allocate to trips to the gym as well because I can still adequately digest while working out and also be certain to get through them all in one go. There's not really a science to making that decision. Some just work for one scenario but not the other. Some work for both. For that reason I don't listen to more than a handful of albums any given week. My lesser picks are put in the car for day-to-day trips where I don't care if they become fragmented.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>