Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPersonal prog connections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 09:51
^It was just cookies and milk man. Nothing happened. There just happened to be a bed beneath us.

But actually, it was when my dad, a sax player, was touring with the Phil Collins Big Band. My brother told him he talked too much.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 12:51
When Comus play abroad these days, they have a different violin player, who is a friend of mine and plays in a couple of bands with me.  He's in the purple shirt in this clip on the right at the beginning

rotten hound of the burnie crew
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 16:00
Hi,

Probably more names than I can shake a finger at, but I tend to not dwell on it, and cover their person and privacy. I have a couple of pictures, but since for 10 years I WAS the photographer, it meant that I would not be in front of my camera!

All in all, there are some pretty good names and I could, still, call a few folks and photograph them at will, but won't take advantage of it just for the fan side of things.

I have, on ALL occasions given all members of the band a complete set of 5x7's of all the shots that came out that I took.

The only band that would not allow me to shoot, was Porcupine Tree in San Francisco, and that was when I met one of them, and knew right away, the music was really nice, but the others were even nicer. Richard is the one I enjoyed the most and probably th emost creative without having to go around farting to make sure we notice him!

Other than that, Gong is my closest and most photographed. The only band I want to shoot in concert these days would be one that does not do shows ... Djam Karet. But I need some "Dark Clouds, No Rain" playing to get in the mood! Or "The Trip". I would not have minded doing Hawkwind, but the timing was never there. I missed Mani with Acid Mothers around here and wish I had seen it, because him and Pierre Moerlin are by far the best drummers I have ever heard in rock music! Other than that, I would do Magma right this time with better lenses than I had before, as they got setup way too far back in the stage for the shots to make it better. Lana Lane was also very nice to shoot, but the keyboard setup closed the stage for shooting, and Erik did not get good shots. Lana was a bit too far back, but the expressions are there and I wish I had a better lens to shoot this band with.

I don't do "personal connections", but I have a huge list of folks I have gone to dinner with and such ... and I have made dinner for them as well!

Edited by moshkito - May 03 2014 at 16:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 14:53
I worked in the music biz for some time, so I ended up getting to meet and speak to quite a few prog legends, including Chris Squire, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Jon Anderson, James Labrie, and David Gilmour. And for those who have been here, I have interviewed Rick Wakeman, Steven Wilson and Roye Albrighton, though I haven't met them.

Oddly, I did have an unexpected encounter last week. I went to the Sound of Contact show in NYC. As you know, SOC is fronted by Simon Collins, son of Phil. I was one of the first few people on line (on a very cold and blustery day). Who should walk up but Phil. And he was very gracious, and stood around chatting with us for a little while, and taking pics with us. (Stupid me; I didn't take a photo!) It was quite fun.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 15:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I've name-dropped all the prog people I've met over the years many times before, so I'll just mention those who approached me rather than the ones I've summoned the nerve to go up and talk to. A few years ago Ex-Enid guitarist Francis Lickerish, now of Secret Green, contacted me out of the blue enquiring after an oil-painting I'd painted of him back in 1977. 

Unfortunately for him I'd given the painting as a present to a friend fairly soon after I had finished it. Co-incidentally that friend and I had chatted with Francis and Steve Stewart in the bar after the gig in Bedford that the painting was from.

At a secret Focus gig in a local pub another ex-Enid guitarist Nick May, now of Whimwise, approached me thinking I was Clive Nolan of Pendragon, once we'd sorted out I wasn't we had an interesting chat about music and the music biz.

Separated at birth? LOL

And when the band I used to manage was playing the Bloodstock festival for the second time, Bob Catley of Magnum was also on the bill, he spent much of the afternoon chatting and drinking with myself, my wife and daughter and ... Becki our lead singer:
...so not because of our sparkling wit and repartee then... Wink

God Dean, I wish I could send you a photo of me. We could be twins (except I have a proper beard).
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 17:09
Zero personal connections for me. But that's probably due to my age and the rather small number of concerts I go to.

But these stories are a pleasure to read about.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:31
Meeting Sir Richard was truly amazing!  He should run for Parliament, he's such a natural politician!  

I know Steve Howe's guitar tech/luthier, Hugh Manson, so he did me the favor of getting us after-show passes!  

Priceless! 

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:37
I think Sean Malone sent me an email in the 90s
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:50
I've talked to Jim Haney of Perhaps (amazing band) and he offered me a free ticket to his gig, but i couldn't attend so i was sad. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:53
I live on a country that borders with Geddy Lee's. 
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 21:28
Matt Stevens (solo, The Fierce and the Dead) 'liked' one of my comments on his Facebook page once. Does that count? LOL
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 22:20
I have a little recollection for you all: once upon a time, I liked King Crimson, and then I woke up years later and found out I loved them. The End. Big smile

Edited by Mirror Image - May 05 2014 at 22:22
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 22:25

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I live on a country that borders with Geddy Lee's. 

What? Dude, me too! LOL

May God bless you all in Jesus' name. No matter who you are, you're special, you're loved, and you matter.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 22:51
I met Prog once, great guy. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 22:58
I met all of Yes except Squire---he was late--showed Phil Collins around my neighborhood in NYC, actually took him to a store he was looking for---saw Getty Lee at an outdoor cafe in my neighborhood, didn't bother him, saw Mike Rutherford too in my neighborhood, didn't bother him either---was in a sauna with Robert Fripp at my gym, it was awkward as I did try to talk to him but he wasn't too friendly with nothing but a towel on--lol---met Bill Bruford after an Earthworks concert, he was signing CD's---asked him to please reunite the Bruford band,, he stated firmly that would never happenCryLOL  hung my head in shame and left.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 23:30
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I met all of Yes except Squire---he was late--showed Phil Collins around my neighborhood in NYC, actually took him to a store he was looking for---saw Getty Lee at an outdoor cafe in my neighborhood, didn't bother him, saw Mike Rutherford too in my neighborhood, didn't bother him either---was in a sauna with Robert Fripp at my gym, it was awkward as I did try to talk to him but he wasn't too friendly with nothing but a towel on--lol---met Bill Bruford after an Earthworks concert, he was signing CD's---asked him to please reunite the Bruford band,, he stated firmly that would never happenCryLOL  hung my head in shame and left.

Yeah, Fripp isn't exactly an easy person to talk to I imagine. Kind of standoffish, but it's understandable. I imagine people generally annoy the hell out of him anyway. Smile
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 09:44
The idea of trying to engage Fripp in conversation in a sauna is wonderful, he's uncomfortable with fan interaction to start with but wrapped in a towel and all sweaty, my goodness.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

If a bit pretentious.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

If a bit pretentious.
"most people only see my symphonic side" *pulls up collar*
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:40
Here is my account of my encounter with the band Tiles and Discipline members Matthew Parmenter and Matthew Kennedy.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52932&KW=tiles&PID=3017107#3017107

I had met the guys from Tiles at a CD release party a few months prior to that, and they sent me free tickets to see them open for King's X.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>