This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 08:36
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

I noticed the message about Sabbath not being the first metal band - so what was the first album which fit all the metal criteria?
Is someone that knows going to answer  biazzaro laplaces's question? I've looked long and hard through books, the web and magazines, have not been able to find anything that disputes the fact Sabbath invented heavy metal.

Sabbath certainly invented a form of heavy metal that was much imitated and still has huge influence, and that could be thought of as 'inventing' modern metal, the total vision   ..but many cite the other usual suspects; Blue Cheer, High Tide, Zeppelin, etc

Blue Cheer are top of my list - although they really invented the whole "Goes to 11" thing. Spooky Tooth are worthy pre-Zeppelin contenders, as are, possibly, Vanilla Fudge, Cream and - even earlier - the Kinks effectively brought the riff to its potential. Motorhead's style can be heard in The Pink Fairies (and Twink before them), and also MC5 and the Stooges to some extent - and yes, the Beatles.

Pink Floyd also appear in the proto-metal roll-call, especially with tracks like "Careful with That Axe Eugene", Beck/Yardbirds has already been mentioned, and there are stylistic similarites in the music of the Small Faces, The Troggs and the Zombies.

High Tide are an obvious case, as are Bakerloo, Warhorse, Focus and a number of other early heavy prog bands.

For me, though, the great overlooked are the Scorpions. What M Schenker and UJR particularly brought to metal is immeasurable.

It'd be cool to investigate this area thoroughly - the above is just top-of-the-head stuff, so may be incomplete and, gulp, inaccurate Embarrassed

Anyone else agree after And Justice For All.., Metallica produced nothing worth listening too?

Not really - the self-titled "Black Album" is a very worthy if extremely (and surprisingly) commercial collection of very good metal songs. Everything after that is rubbish, IMO, but obviously, the stuff before that is pure Prog Metal in the truest sense.

Here's an article that I used many moons ago for research - I haven't read it for a while, but it's extremely good: http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history.html

Watch out for inaccuracies and red herrings Wink

Edited by Certif1ed - January 09 2008 at 08:47
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 09:44
I thought that Steppenwolf invented "heavy metal" with "heavy metal thunder".  Actually though, I've personally considered the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" to be the first metal song, although there are probably other earlier songs that would fit the bill.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 17:25

^Born To Be Wild was released in 1968, wasn't it? I'm not sure that Steppenwolf were referring to the music when they wrote that...

Helter Skelter certainly has a good riff - but the Kinks, Cream, Troggs and Hendrix were all riffing before that.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 17:32
^ Yes.  Born to Be Wild was released in 1968.  Same year as Helter Skelter.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 19:11
DIO i guess.. I love is voice.
Jshutt64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 20:39
Well of the mentioned bands, I went with Zeppelin. One of my favorite bands of all time. I don't really consider them metal, though.

In actual metal, I really enjoy female-fronted. Interests include Nightwish, After Forever, Epica, Aghora, and Visions of Atlantis. Four of those are in the archives, even though I don't think they should be (except Aghora and maybe Epica).
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 04:05
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

For me, though, the great overlooked are the Scorpions. What M Schenker and UJR particularly brought to metal is immeasurable.

It'd be cool to investigate this area thoroughly - the above is just top-of-the-head stuff, so may be incomplete and, gulp, inaccurate Embarrassed

that guitar tech discussion you had last year was great, and it touched on much of this...  I agree about Uli and Mike..

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I thought that Steppenwolf invented "heavy metal" with "heavy metal thunder".  Actually though, I've personally considered the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" to be the first metal song, although there are probably other earlier songs that would fit the bill.

agree with Cert... I think they were refer to motorcycles... not music LOLWink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:43
Zep, followed by Sabbath, rather predictably...Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:43
Megadeth?
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 01:41
Originally posted by Exodizer Exodizer wrote:

I like metal and while classic metal stuff is alright there's better stuff now. Thought Chamber owns every band on that list. (and you're missing a couple things actually quite a few and hair metal isn't really metal at all it's just bubble gum)

Are you saying Thought Chamber owns Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Metallica?
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 02:11

I noticed the message about Sabbath not being the first metal band - so what was the first album which fit all the metal criteria? Is someone that knows going to answer biazzaro laplaces's question? I've looked long and hard through books, the web and magazines, have not been able to find anything that disputes the fact Sabbath invented heavy metal.

Lots of metalheads don't consider Sabbath to be metal, but rather hard rock. These types are likely to consider Judas priest the first metal band. Priest invented a lot of the concepts we take for granted
 in any metal after them, such as the dual guitar attack, or the lack of blues in
their sound.

Edited by Nuke - January 11 2008 at 02:15
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 03:02

Anyone else agree after And Justice For All.., Metallica produced nothing worth listening too?

Not really - the self-titled "Black Album" is a very worthy if extremely (and surprisingly) commercial collection of very good metal songs. Everything after that is rubbish, IMO, but obviously, the stuff before that is pure Prog Metal in the truest sense.

Here's an article that I used many moons ago for research - I haven't read it for a while, but it's extremely good: http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history.html

Watch out for inaccuracies and red herrings Wink

[/QUOTE]

Even though i was born in 1988, i was actaully exposed to the early metallica records first, such as Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, , Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. The problem was with the Black Album, was that is was not bad (ironic i know, but i will explain). The fact it was not bad, compared to RTL or MOP, which were excellent, left me feeling rather disappointed, particularly after metallica had only just begun an outing in almost prog metal with AJFA, it was a big shame they had started to cut down on technicality and make the compositions more sparse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123