Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WTF is up with the progressive metal color scheme?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWTF is up with the progressive metal color scheme?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTF is up with the progressive metal color scheme?
    Posted: July 21 2009 at 01:55
I mean just look at it!

A lot of the albums have just a bland tan/brown/yellowish color scheme! Scenes From a Memory, The Perfect Element, Second Life Syndrome. BORING.

Others just have other muted colors, like LTE 2 and Perfect Symmetry. Real cool guys, yeah you are all really creative.

And then some of them are just greyscale with maybe one or two coloroed spots, like Operation Mindcrime, Out of Myself, and Awake. UGH!

I mean what's happening? Are the progressive metal guys not even trying to come up with a decent cover? Do they think that by making plain colored albums will make them stand out in the crowd? Or maybe they just think that their music is so great that a decent cover will kill the listening experience.

In any event, they should learn from their more br00tal counterparts in the Tech/Extreme category. These guys know how to make album covers. BLACK, BLACK, BLACK, some deep reds or blues and weird humanoid figures all over the place. In any event, these are cool covers, and they match the music inside the package, which is actual metal, and not just standard rock with more distorted guitars like those in the Progressive metal category.

Maybe Progressive Metal bands are just afraid to use the cool black colors because they're afraid the extreme metal heads will beat them senseless for stealing their color scheme, so they just use other neutral colors that aren't as br00tal.

In any event, this is definetely why progressive metal isn't as good as tech/extreme prog metal. Their album covers simply aren't as good. Plain as that.

An only sort of serious rant by topofsm.

Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 02:03
Well... let's take Opeth for example here.
Opeth make music that coincides perfectly with their album art... Would you be able to see an album cover for 'Still Life' that had rainbows and lots of colour to it? Blackwater Park, for another example...?

It just wouldn't fit in. 'Metal' is generally alot less whimsical and colourful than other genres.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 02:15
depends on the artwork, I rather like Riverside's covers use of a monochromatic palette.. the problem with many metal album covers is lack of originality, it's almost always some dripping, skull-laden scene with winged creatures and spiky logos

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 06:09
Complain if you like, but in the Dream Theater artwork poll I made, Scenes from a Memory came out on top.

Metal people like brown and yellow.  Go figure.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Complain if you like, but in the Dream Theater artwork poll I made, Scenes from a Memory came out on top.

Green is my favorite color and always has been. That should tell you what album has one of my favorite covers (hint: it's not a metal album). Wink

Edited by birdwithteeth11 - July 21 2009 at 14:33
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 14:34
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I like black and only black.
The color of my soul.........

*runs into the forest shrieking*
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 22:42
Duck.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 22:57
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

Green is my favorite color and always has been. That should tell you what album has one of my favorite covers (hint: it's not a metal album). Wink

CttE

topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 01:29
Thanks for taking my thread so seriously. Now I can continue and talk about how the Crossover peoples use too much white and that the Jazz Fusion guys have some kind of an obsession with celestial bodies and shiny things.

Post Reply Post Reply