Topic ClosedThe Underrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 07:32
Originally posted by MoodyRush MoodyRush wrote:

At least on this site, The Moody Blues seem to have a diminshed presence. They were the first prog band that I fell in love with. I have fond memories listening to their albums on my cd player back when I was a kid. Perhaps their understatedness is because of their mainstream popularity, but they are a fantastic band.

Clap
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 08:13
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by MoodyRush MoodyRush wrote:

At least on this site, The Moody Blues seem to have a diminshed presence. They were the first prog band that I fell in love with. I have fond memories listening to their albums on my cd player back when I was a kid. Perhaps their understatedness is because of their mainstream popularity, but they are a fantastic band.

Clap
              SmileSmile Clap Clap
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 11:17
The most underated album here on PA is certainly A Passion Play. Best album I ever heard in my life and people find it horrible.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 22:28
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

The most underated album here on PA is certainly A Passion Play. Best album I ever heard in my life and people find it horrible.

Agreed. One of the most important albums of all time, and hardly anyone seems to notice.
BenevolentBehemoth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 21:47
I know Gentle Giant is never listed as a bad band, but when people list "prog" bands it's always : Yes, King Crimson
Genesis, ELP  Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, and I believe Gentle Giant deserves to be on that list.
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 23:10
Originally posted by JeanFrame JeanFrame wrote:

Clouds. Is there any other band who contributed so much to this genre yet received so little in return?
More accurately, 1-2-3. But without records (other than the 2010 recording) and record sales, you won't change public perception.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 15:51
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I think they are underrate. They have some "HIT" songs and this made them underrated. Prog fans thought they are commercial but I think they have many great albums in 70's era. Albums like "The Roaring Silence", " The Good Earth" , "Solar Fire" and "Nightingales And Bombers". These 4 albums are great and Prog but many of prog fans ignor them.

I agree with you. I like all of the Manfred Mann's Earth Band albums. The early albums as well as Watch and Angel Station should not be forgotten.

Earth Band included a very underrated musician in Mick Rogers. He should be a big star!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 16:44
I agree all those MMEB albums are realy good  Live in Budapest is a good one too Wink
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2011 at 04:57
Originally posted by resurrection resurrection wrote:

Originally posted by JeanFrame JeanFrame wrote:

Clouds. Is there any other band who contributed so much to this genre yet received so little in return?
More accurately, 1-2-3. But without records (other than the 2010 recording) and record sales, you won't change public perception.
Clouds/1-2-3 - Criminally underrated.
elcaballodecaligula View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2011 at 18:32
I think John Wetton is an amazing singer and bass player, but he hasn't got the respect he deserves
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2011 at 10:38
Originally posted by elcaballodecaligula elcaballodecaligula wrote:

I think John Wetton is an amazing singer and bass player, but he hasn't got the respect he deserves

I think John Wetton is much appreciated on this site, as singer and bass player of King Crimson. Or do you mean his solo works? Ermm
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 22:52
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

I'm sorry but I find Mason to be a bore at times. Never has he ever just blew me away with his percussion abilities. In fact, Mason himself didn't view himself as a top drummer. He gets the job done, but that's it.
Not this argument again. Frankly, Mason just needed to be who he was to help make the Floyds great. He's a great musician without necessarily having to be a great drummer. He's also a gentleman and leading statesman among the elder group of prog dignitaries. He's an international treasure (and his steady beat behind the Floyds never caused me alarm).
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 05:27
The chemistry of a band is more important than individual qualities. Balance counts. Nick Mason seems perfect to me for Pink Floyd.
The Willow Farmer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 10:08
Originally posted by esky esky wrote:

I'm sorry but I find Mason to be a bore at times. Never has he ever just blew me away with his percussion abilities. In fact, Mason himself didn't view himself as a top drummer. He gets the job done, but that's it.
Not this argument again. Frankly, Mason just needed to be who he was to help make the Floyds great. He's a great musician without necessarily having to be a great drummer. He's also a gentleman and leading statesman among the elder group of prog dignitaries. He's an international treasure (and his steady beat behind the Floyds never caused me alarm).

Pink Floyd's music didn't need flashy drumming the same way it didn't need complex bass playing. Floyd was about atmosphere, and Nick Mason contributed perfectly.
Recent Music Acquisitions:
Johnny Marr-"The Messenger"
Steven Wilson-"The Raven that Refused to Sing"
Fish-"Sunsets on Empire"
Riverside-"Shrine of New Generation Slaves"

mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 12:12
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 12:52
^ true, and it's not The Flower Kings or The Tangent
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 13:39
Originally posted by The Willow Farmer The Willow Farmer wrote:

Originally posted by esky esky wrote:

Pink Floyd's music didn't need flashy drumming the same way it didn't need complex bass playing. Floyd was about atmosphere, and Nick Mason contributed perfectly.
        Who can think of Moon or Cobham playing with the Floyd? i don't.......
EchidnasArf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 15:36
Nick Mason is one of my favorite drummers. There's something to be said about restraint that a few people here obviously don't understand. One person mentioned that they had never been "blown away by his percussion abilities". That's fine, but you should be blown away by his impeccable understanding of time, atmosphere, groove, and tastefulness. Otherwise, you're just a shallow listener.

As far as underrated players go, Bill Frisell instantly comes to mind. This guy can play anything and has worked with so many different artists and genres, having an uncanny knack for leaving his fingerprint on anything that he's a part of. He's released some great solo albums and worked with John Zorn (and part of Naked City from '86-'03), Dave Holland, Elvin Jones, Jack DeJohnette, Elvis Costello, John Scofield, Ginger Baker, Michael Shrieve, Mike Stern, Ron Carter, Paul Motian, among countless others, and he even appears on an Allen Ginsberg album of poetry and spoken word. Bill Frisell is one of the best living guitarists around today, and hardly anyone knows who he is because he's so humble.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 17:13
Originally posted by EchidnasArf EchidnasArf wrote:

Nick Mason is one of my favorite drummers. There's something to be said about restraint that a few people here obviously don't understand. One person mentioned that they had never been "blown away by his percussion abilities". That's fine, but you should be blown away by his impeccable understanding of time, atmosphere, groove, and tastefulness. Otherwise, you're just a shallow listener.

Thumbs Up Very accurate indeed. Nick was the best drummer for Pink Floyd, in fact, he was instrumental for their sound and pace.They all fitted together perfectly. Every one of them had the good taste to leave a few notes and beats out, to create that athmosphere.  
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 17:37
When i think of under-rated drummers, the one that comes to mind right away is Jo Koinzer from  German jazz-rock band Brainstorm.
          His name is never mentioned, and when you hear him, you will wonder why? He has a complex technique that is aggressive, but intricate in the same breath.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>