Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 172173174175176 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 15:11
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Yeah, I would actually agree that Space Revolver is probably the best one to start with at this point.  Though I started with Retropolis and it's still my favorite of theirs.

I completely disagree with everything else you write here though Wink

Bah Humbug,

You are just bitter ever since you realized that we are so much alike,and that you have a new "soulmate" in music and have not adjusted fully to that cold hard reality, yet.Wink

Oh and yes, you are entering stage II in your denial phase over holding back your true love for The Chicken Farmer Song.  Big smile   But don't fret, we will work through this together.Tongue
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 15:57
My rankings are pretty hit and miss but this is how I have their studio albums ranked according to Progfreak:

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 16:49
Have any of you guys heard the BetchaWannaDanceStoopid! live performance?  It is essentially almost all instrumental and seems to be mostly improvised.  It is rated pretty low here on PA, so I suspect that it doesn't really appeal that much to fans of their composed music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 08:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Have any of you guys heard the BetchaWannaDanceStoopid! live performance?  It is essentially almost all instrumental and seems to be mostly improvised.  It is rated pretty low here on PA, so I suspect that it doesn't really appeal that much to fans of their composed music.

Dude, you nailed that one pretty good.

I would rather blow dry my hair and go to a disco & dance to a Bee Gees song than play that one.Confused

I have always wondered with these free form jazz types...

What is so bad about actually thinking before you play something???

Hmm, gotta run and play some actual music, here I go with Firth of Fifth.....Wink

Laterz,

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 09:50
saw a bit of I AM THE SUN from the Tour Kaputt DVD.  i sounded awesome!  i need to get that too.  my wish list is so long.  what to get first?  def the new TFK in June.  
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 09:50
Dennis,
is that your wife in the avatar?
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 13:12
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Dennis,
It must be coz he's got so many family photos of her LOL

Remember the10th Commandment though:

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.

Wink

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 13:18
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Space Revolver is arguably their best,
Agreed Wink

Quote though some here say Unfold The Future.  No way Jose, The Truth Shall Set You Free is great but that is pretty much it....  Just my $.02
You're a great chap Dennis (and I too love The Chicken Farmer song to bits) but that, too me, is a bonkers comment Confused

Black & White
Silent Inferno
Genie In A Bottle
Fast Lane
Grand Old World
Devil's Playground
etc

Those are all amazing tracks Wink
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 13:24

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Dude, you nailed that one pretty good.

I would rather blow dry my hair and go to a disco & dance to a Bee Gees song than play that one.Confused

I have always wondered with these free form jazz types...

What is so bad about actually thinking before you play something???

Hmm, gotta run and play some actual music, here I go with Firth of Fifth.....Wink

Laterz,

Well, it is 100% improvised, and for being that I think it's not too bad.  But I rated it "fans and collectors only", and there is no more appropriate rating.  I haven't listened to it in years, so I guess that says it all.  However, it's not without interest to the die hard fan.  The longest improv, that incorporates some beatles melodies, I still kind of enjoy because it has a real Greatful Dead vibe.  I totally understand that that will turn a lot of proggers off, but for me it was a real plus.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 13:25

saw a bit of I AM THE SUN from the Tour Kaputt DVD.  i sounded awesome!  i need to get that too.  my wish list is so long.  what to get first?  def the new TFK in June.  

If I were you, I'd get Tour Kaputt ASAP.  Certainly before the new album.  To me it's the perfect thing to get you psyched up for the new album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 20:41

Dennis,

Hi zumacraig, Wink

A very nice Romanian who wandered into Paris and likes a silly sport that won't permit the use of hands, asked me the same question.

Because this is a public forum and any crazy(not you guys for sureWink) could access these pages, I would not be a
good husband or father to give specific answers here, however.

You could say that I am the luckiest b*****d alive.  I live with the 2 most beautiful girls I have even seen or met, If you saw any of my posts over the last few days, you may have caught a glimpse of the angel that has been sent into my life. The little angel was in my avatar photo.

I hope this is not too cryptic.  Sorry, it is the best I can do given this public forum.

But yeah, I wake up each day and say how can a person be this lucky???  I have no idea. Maybe this is all a dream.

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 20:42
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

If I were you, I'd get Tour Kaputt ASAP.  Certainly before the new album.  To me it's the perfect thing to get you psyched up for the new album.

okay, it's decided.  i'm getting Tour Kaputt and probably Flying Colors this month.  Thanks for the rec Infandous.

btw, any have an opinion on tomas's eggs and dogs as well as swedish family?  from the snippets of SF i've heard, it's kind of boring.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 21:16
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

You're a great chap Dennis (and I too love The Chicken Farmer song to bits) but that, too me, is a bonkers comment Confused

Black & White
Silent Inferno
Genie In A Bottle
Fast Lane
Grand Old World
Devil's Playground
etc

Those are all amazing tracks Wink

Hi Nov, Smile

You are indeed a gentlemen by saying so many kind things about me(just one actuallyWink)  And I am delighted to know that you are on the"good side" of the great Chicken Farmer Song debate....  But I , myself will be the first to admit that on almost a regular basis I say things that are "bonkers" so don't feel bad for saying....

Having said that, to my chagrin I am a psycho Flower Kings fan, some of their songs I find to be some of the greatest songs ever recorded by anybody! And some others, I just can't dig, no matter how many times I try.Shocked

To try and kill two birds with one stone, here is where my tastes lie, as I promised before to post my dream FK concert, so check out the attached picture.  I made the artwork myself for this personal 2CD FK collection. The one song I could not add because of time (I wanted to completely fill 2 80 minute CDs), but belongs there is Stardust We Are.

So add Stardust We Are to the below list and you have my dream FK show!

Cheers!

Edited by dennismoore - March 24 2012 at 21:25
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 21:49

Dennis,

Hi zumacraig, Wink

A very nice Romanian who wandered into Paris and likes a silly sport that won't permit the use of hands, asked me the same question.

Because this is a public forum and any crazy(not you guys for sureWink) could access these pages, I would not be a
good husband or father to give specific answers here, however.

You could say that I am the luckiest b*****d alive.  I live with the 2 most beautiful girls I have even seen or met, If you saw any of my posts over the last few days, you may have caught a glimpse of the angel that has been sent into my life. The little angel was in my avatar photo.

I hope this is not too cryptic.  Sorry, it is the best I can do given this public forum.

But yeah, I wake up each day and say how can a person be this lucky???  I have no idea. Maybe this is all a dream.

just wondered.  my wife and kids are beautiful too ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 20:47

By the way....Who is that engraved in stone in your avatar?
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 21:23

By the way....Who is that engraved in stone in your avatar?

i knew you were gonna ask me that:)

jizo...he's a bodhisattva of compassion in Japanese Buddhism.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 12:45
Dennis,

That personal 2 CD of yours is not far from what I'd put together, assuming you include Stardust We Are, and exclude the Chicken Farmer song Big smile

I also consider it sacrilege to edit Garden Of Dreams (unless Roine does it, like in the live shows).  I wouldn't edit The Merrygoround either, but that's just me.  Other than that though, I like or love every track on there.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 12:53
Hey, don't know if anyone here is interested in this, but last night on Sirius XM radio, they played the entire Thick As A Brick 2 album (and they played the entire original album before that).  My thoughts:

I quite like it actually, though there was one section that seemed overly silly to me, and the "spoken word" parts didn't appeal (but that sort of thing almost never does for me).  Not much of that though.

It's not in the same class as the original, of course, but some very lovely music and I enjoyed the original themes worked in here and there.  The singing is surprisingly good, though it's certainly not like it was on the original.

Anyway, I might actually have to get this, as it sounds like the best thing I've heard from Anderson in a long time.
IMPF View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 16:22
So far all I've heard from them is Unfold the Future, but that album is absolutely amazing, full of good stuff, even if it took me a while to get into it. I still need to check out more stuff from them.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 19:03
Originally posted by IMPF IMPF wrote:

So far all I've heard from them is Unfold the Future, but that album is absolutely amazing, full of good stuff, even if it took me a while to get into it. I still need to check out more stuff from them.

Welcome!  That's a good one to start with, though I wouldn't actually recommend it as a first album to most people.  If you like that, I'd say Space Revolver should be next, but really you can just pick any and you will probably enjoy Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 172173174175176 486>