Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 344345346347348 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 09:45
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Good to see you back Dennis!  For what it's worth, I don't ever send anybody here PM's if they disappear for a while, so it was nothing personal Wink

In addition to "tone deaf" we can add deaf, dumb and blind to your list of accolades.Wink

Back on page 337 I posted:

"To the group: I have been under the weather, sorry for my absence.  If anybody cares you can PM me for
details...     Love ya all."      (I love to quote myself, it is so empowering!)Approve

If you would like some basic "reading" lessons I would be happy to help after I straighten you out
on the divine supremecy of the YES song: "To Be Over" which you tragically underrated in a prior post.Wink
Relayer may be one of the finest start to finish recordings, ever...

Ok, looks like we will be needing more therapy sessions than I thought, originally.  LOL

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 09:59
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Welcome back Dennis - we just about kept the thread bumping along without you Wink

Thanks Nov,  Smile

Actually, I was just having fun and trying to get infandous' goat.  When the thread is hopping like it has
been, I do try to not get in the way, because I actualy do know that my Chicken Farmer Song ravings
only go so far...

In addition, so many here are so clueless when it comes to:

The calming finality & lifetime of guitar work(in one single song) that is YES - To Be Over
The joyous triumph of Flower Kings - Banks of Eden
The supreme greatness of Genesis - Trick Of The Tail
The greatness of the last 2 Mystery records
The pleasant surprise of the latest Sanguine Hum record
just to name a few....

You guys have so many issues, sometimes I wake up and I think, geesh! what is the use!!!!!Unhappy
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 10:29
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Ok, the first few posts on this page are absolutely hysterical.  Mike and Dennis, you two are cracking me up.

I've done a series of top tens / twenties over the years, and I can honestly say that the four Genesis albums from Selling England through Wind and Wuthering always end up on any list greater than ten.  If it's only a top ten, at least two if not three of those four albums will show up.

A Trick of the Tail is easily my all time favorite album, but Wind and Wuthering is pretty much a top ten album as well so put me in the 'both please' category.

Ok, people, please pretend that this post is not me, becasue I will actually write something after adequate thought,
after any thought frankly(don't worry I won't make this a habbit.)

As far as the debate of Wind & Wuthering and A Trick Of The Tail:

I do think these should both be looked at as the brother & sister records that they really are.

Any progger knows that after Peter left Genesis, the band auditioned many singers(it never occured to them
to have Phil sing.) they decided to continue as an instrumental band, since no auditioned singer made them happy enough to enlist.. AToTT started out instrumental and then they by chance, decided to give Phil a go with vocals.  So they changed in that direction, quite suddenly. For a band needing to forge a whole new identity after their long time singer & front man left, suddenly....  Well I think AToTT was pretty effin amazing.  I have always loved that record.  Who can't possible love Dance On A Volcano or Ripples?  Are you joking???  Months later they really found their stride with Wind & Wuthering, after they realized what kind of band they would become...

I have always thought that both records were amazing brother & sister albums done months apart and were a miraculous success having teetered on the edge of oblivion after Peter left so suddenly.

Oh, I forgot "Squonk".  What a song!Cool

Like Roland said..., I say they are both masterful and required prog for any prog head.

Los Endos Amigos!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 14:18
Seconds out is an excellent Live Album - and was one of the first vinyl lps I bought - My brother sort of introduced me to Genesis by stealth - I was listening whilst playing with my lego 1975-1977 - I was well into Genesis by the time I went to secondary school - only getting into Yes/ELP in the early teenage years.....Roj was influenced by his brothers love of Floyd also. Wonder what would have happened to us if we'd had older sisters playing David Cassidy and the Bay City RollersConfused What does everybody think of the Genesis Revisited II by Hackett ? I think it's excellent though some of my favourite parts have been disappointing (the guitar solo at the end of the Lamia for instance......
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 14:23
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Ok, the first few posts on this page are absolutely hysterical.  Mike and Dennis, you two are cracking me up.

I've done a series of top tens / twenties over the years, and I can honestly say that the four Genesis albums from Selling England through Wind and Wuthering always end up on any list greater than ten.  If it's only a top ten, at least two if not three of those four albums will show up.

A Trick of the Tail is easily my all time favorite album, but Wind and Wuthering is pretty much a top ten album as well so put me in the 'both please' category.

Ok, people, please pretend that this post is not me, becasue I will actually write something after adequate thought,
after any thought frankly(don't worry I won't make this a habbit.)

As far as the debate of Wind & Wuthering and A Trick Of The Tail:

I do think these should both be looked at as the brother & sister records that they really are.

Any progger knows that after Peter left Genesis, the band auditioned many singers(it never occured to them
to have Phil sing.) they decided to continue as an instrumental band, since no auditioned singer made them happy enough to enlist.. AToTT started out instrumental and then they by chance, decided to give Phil a go with vocals.  So they changed in that direction, quite suddenly. For a band needing to forge a whole new identity after their long time singer & front man left, suddenly....  Well I think AToTT was pretty effin amazing.  I have always loved that record.  Who can't possible love Dance On A Volcano or Ripples?  Are you joking???  Months later they really found their stride with Wind & Wuthering, after they realized what kind of band they would become...

I have always thought that both records were amazing brother & sister albums done months apart and were a miraculous success having teetered on the edge of oblivion after Peter left so suddenly.

Oh, I forgot "Squonk".  What a song!Cool

Like Roland said..., I say they are both masterful and required prog for any prog head.

Los Endos Amigos!

Wow Dennis, this may have been one of the more cohesive posts that I've seen from you, well done . . . buuuuut . . . 

The departure of Peter Gabriel wasn't a sudden departure, he pretty much told the band at the beginning of the tour for the Lamb that he was going to quit.  He was riding out the tour mostly out of commitment.  You are right, they did audition a ton of singers for the band, none of them quite worked out.  During one of the many auditions, they were playing Squonk (complete with vocals already being written) and the guy that was auditioning was having trouble singing the line that he was supposed to, it wasn't a good key for him.  In frustration, Phil came out from behind the drums and belted out the part in an effort to show the guy that they were auditioning how to sing it.  History shows that the other guy didn't get the gig.

Hackett on the other hand was quite a sudden departure, one of the band members saw him on the street going away from where they were to be rehearsing.  When they asked Mr. Hackett if he was going to practice he just answered with a somewhat casual, 'No, I think I've quit' or something to that effect.

Regardless, I agree with you absolutely Dennis, Trick is such a fantastic album, I personally love every song on it, even the somewhat whimsical Robbery, Assault and Battery and title track.  While those two may not be the most musically compelling songs, they both paint a vivid story lyrically and in my mind, are more than worthy of inclusion.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 14:27
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Seconds out is an excellent Live Album - and was one of the first vinyl lps I bought - My brother sort of introduced me to Genesis by stealth - I was listening whilst playing with my lego 1975-1977 - I was well into Genesis by the time I went to secondary school - only getting into Yes/ELP in the early teenage years.....Roj was influenced by his brothers love of Floyd also. Wonder what would have happened to us if we'd had older sisters playing David Cassidy and the Bay City RollersConfused What does everybody think of the Genesis Revisited II by Hackett ? I think it's excellent though some of my favourite parts have been disappointing (the guitar solo at the end of the Lamia for instance......

I am fairly ambivalent about Genesis revisited II, I was really looking forward to it before it came out, but once I heard the music I was underwhelmed by how little was different.  If I want to hear Supper's Ready and the lot of old Genesis music, I pull out the remasters by the original band.  It has all of the magic of the original songs updated with modern production techniques.  I'm probably in the minority but I really wish they would have done a lot more differently than the original releases.  

On the other hand, I do appreciate that it was the precursor to the tour that Mr. Hackett is doing, cause I'm really looking forward to seeing this music played live.  I think maybe a live release of the music as the new band played it would have been far more appealing than a studio recording.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 22:14

Concerning Relayer, I'm not a huge fan of Gates, but To Be Over and Sound Chaser are classics.  Such a refreshing album to come after Topographic...which is great too.  That Relayer tour, documented on the Queen's Park DVD, has the sickest Yes setlist ever!  Ritual, CttE, all of Relayer, Sweet Dreams!

Does anyone know who some of the singers were that audition for Genesis?  I think I heard them allude to someone in the recent remaster interviews, no?

Edited by zumacraig - June 12 2013 at 22:22
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 22:15
I should try and get back into Genesis one of these days. I never really got into the band, aside from casual enjoyment from Selling England and Trick and the Tail.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 08:07
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Concerning Relayer, I'm not a huge fan of Gates, but To Be Over and Sound Chaser are classics.  Such a refreshing album to come after Topographic...which is great too.  That Relayer tour, documented on the Queen's Park DVD, has the sickest Yes setlist ever!  Ritual, CttE, all of Relayer, Sweet Dreams!

Does anyone know who some of the singers were that audition for Genesis?  I think I heard them allude to someone in the recent remaster interviews, no?

I don't think the names were published, though I'll try and confirm tonight, I have a book or two on Genesis that go pretty far in depth.  There may have been one name that they auditioned.

As an interesting aside, Kevin Gilbert was actually slated to be the new singer to replace Phil back in the nineties.  His untimely demise threw the band for a loop and killed any momentum that Banks and Rutherford had.  I'd have loved to see what they would have done with KG behind the helm.  Not that Ray Wilson was horrible in my estimation, he just never meshed with the band personally which I think killed the band for both parties.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 09:11
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I should try and get back into Genesis one of these days. I never really got into the band, aside from casual enjoyment from Selling England and Trick and the Tail.

Dude, don't feel bad, nobody gets it right, by enjoying all the great prog all at once.

I ignored Genesis, at first only cause I was so saturated with YES, ELP, Nektar, Floyd, Zepplin... and I'm not sure there
was room inside my head for anything more.  A few years later after I was kinda full from my original barrage of prog, I discovered Genesis and I will now defend their greatness to the death, forever!

From Nursery Crime to Duke is a remarkable evolution and it is all worthwhile & classic.  Obviously you will have your own preferences, while you discover more of Genesis in your own time.

Though I can't imagine anybody doing without:

Seconds Out
A Trick Of The Tail
Wind & Wuthering
Selling England...
The Lamb

Genesis is LOTS of brilliant classical style pianos & keyboards, so if a person likes more guitar driven music, I could see why they don't go for Genesis.  Genesis may have had the most balance between keyboards, acoustic, lead guitar, vocals, harmonies, etc... than any band I can think of.

Edited by dennismoore - June 13 2013 at 09:11
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 09:36
As far as the classic prog bands go, I think it's because I latched onto Yes, King Crimson, Camel, and Pink Floyd before I got around to Genesis, and by then, I wasn't interested. I thought the production quality was too thin, and the music was too..... weak. I understand now the greatness of their music from the 70s, I just haven't had a chance to "re"-explore their music.
Though it's funny, one of the first prog songs I ever heard right after graduating high school was "Los Endos", but it's like a fusion tune, so maybe I expected more and got symphonic prog instead.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 10:49

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I don't think the names were published, though I'll try and confirm tonight, I have a book or two on Genesis that go pretty far in depth.  There may have been one name that they auditioned.

As an interesting aside, Kevin Gilbert was actually slated to be the new singer to replace Phil back in the nineties.  His untimely demise threw the band for a loop and killed any momentum that Banks and Rutherford had.  I'd have loved to see what they would have done with KG behind the helm.  Not that Ray Wilson was horrible in my estimation, he just never meshed with the band personally which I think killed the band for both parties.

Ah, very interesting.  I love this stuff.  Kevin Gilbert definitely could've sung the Collins stuff and would've probably meshed better with the band's writing.  Ray Wilson was just not a good fit.  His voice was too low.  It's too bad.  There were some good ideas on Calling All Stations.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 10:56
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

As far as the classic prog bands go, I think it's because I latched onto Yes, King Crimson, Camel, and Pink Floyd before I got around to Genesis, and by then, I wasn't interested. I thought the production quality was too thin, and the music was too..... weak. I understand now the greatness of their music from the 70s, I just haven't had a chance to "re"-explore their music.
Though it's funny, one of the first prog songs I ever heard right after graduating high school was "Los Endos", but it's like a fusion tune, so maybe I expected more and got symphonic prog instead.

I grew up in the era of Genesis/Phil Collins being uber pop stars.  I hated them, except for Throwing it All Away.  They were played several times an hour on the radio and MTV in the 80s and early 90s.  I did like some of the older stuff played on classic rock stations, but that was only Abacab and Misunderstanding.  It wasn't until '99 that I met a huge prog fan and he schooled me on Gabriel era Genesis etc.  I wasn't a Gabriel fan either.  Same thing, Sledge Hammer kind of ruined him of me.  Us is an okay album.  Anyway, it was really hard for me to get past my initial impressions of the band.  I've never really loved the Gabriel stuff, but have come to really cherish everything from Trick to Abacab.  Genesis, the album, had some good moments, but was really a descent into pop.  Got to hand it to these guys though.  They spanned two decades in two genres and the development of Phil Collins from drummer to singer and pop star is astounding, to say the least.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 12:15

I don't see how anybody could like sound chaser, and to be over  > GOD - Hmmmm just seen the link with the Flokis there.....The Live Version of GOD on Shows is a helluva lot better than the studio version IMHO.

Like I said I saw Genesis in 1977 - and NOBODY just NOBODY plays that sort of floaty Ghostly guitar style that Hackett Perfected - Stolt possibly beats Hackett for emotional stringsmanship - but I think that for an ambience creating backdrop Hackett was supreme....So then in 1978 - Genesis decided to do pop...as if they didn't already have more money than they could spend since they were brought up in houses where it takes you twenty minutes to pop next door and borrow a cup of caviar from your equally loaded neighbour. Jesus - Rutherford and Banks had childhood homes with gardens that were so big that they were used to Land fully laden B52s when they got lost heading for Mildenhall.......It REALLY pissed me off I can tell you - my favourite band going to sh*t...
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 12:54
Been wanting to get back into all the modern symphonic prog bands recently, but nothing has been striking my fancy, aside from The Flower King album. I've listened to TSONE and TA's Bridge Across Forever, and it's enjoyable, but not making me want to get back into all that stuff right now. Coming off an 8 month binge on Frank Zappa, I don't feel I'm in quite the right mindset yet.

However, Dream Theater and Beardfish are hitting the spot, so maybe I'll stick with them for now.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 12:58
Hm I haven't got a single Zappa CD in my collection.....Not really symphonic prog so I've never been tempted - not heard any either.....is that weird?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 12:58
Beardfish though? I may dabble.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 13:07
I've been listening to Simon Says today. Another modern Swedish symphonic prog band.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 13:17

Hm I haven't got a single Zappa CD in my collection.....Not really symphonic prog so I've never been tempted - not heard any either.....is that weird?

I don't think so. His music is more on the avant-garde, jazz/fusion, rock/blues, r&b/doo-wop, 20th century classical side of things. He does have his symphonic moments, I'm trying to think what album would be good for someone into symphonic prog to check out....

I think One Size Fits All (1975) is a good one, one of his "proggier" albums. There's some symphonic stuff on there, great guitar solos, and has just the right amount of humor. Another one, from the same era, Roxy & Elsewhere (1974), has a lot of symphonic/composed sections, a little more jazzy, perhaps.

Two others you might want to check out is Studio Tan (1979) which contains some of Frank's most interesting symphonic work, but the opening Greggary Peccary, while heavy on it's use of classical/symphonic, is heavy on Frank's voice telling a story, so be warned if it's not your thing. The rest of the album is insane. This album also comes from Lather (1977/released 1996), which has tons of symphonic moments, but also LOTS of other things.

The Grand Wazoo (1972) also contains some symphonic stuff, but it is more-or-less instrumental jazz-fusion, but with Zappa, it's always composed, or mostly anyway.

Frank Zappa's symphonic masterpiece is of course "Strictly Genteel" and is from 200 Motels, but the rest of that album is a mix of 70s rock, and 20th century classical.
I like the live version from Make A Jazz Noise Here best, but I can't find it on YouTube, so I'll show you this one, which I believe is from Orchestral Favorites:
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-VNdcXm6w

Edited by darkshade - June 13 2013 at 13:20
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 13:21

Beardfish though? I may dabble.

Yea, they're fun. They're more eclectic, but plenty of symphonic moments, they also rock hard, and the singer is one of the best singers in prog rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 344345346347348 486>