Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345346347348349 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 14:05
Destined Solitaire is by FAR their best album, an album that perfectly captures the band's brilliance in their heavier side as well as the quirky symphonic approaches they specialize in. Recommended place to start. 

For modern symphonic Mike, i would suggest to you..
Echolyn - The End is Beautiful
The Tea Club - Quickly, Quickly, Quickly
IQ - The Seventh House

IQ is the only Neo-Prog band i like. Not sure why, but they actually interest me. I know the singer is awesome though. That's one of three albums i have by them and is my favorite. They're are prolly better albums out there that would be a better recommendation, but from the three i have (7th House, Frequency, and Ever) i like it most atm. You prolly have heard these guys and this is a useless paragraph - oh well. LOL

Edited by Horizons - June 13 2013 at 14:06
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 14:12
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Destined Solitaire is by FAR their best album, an album that perfectly captures the band's brilliance in their heavier side as well as the quirky symphonic approaches they specialize in. Recommended place to start. 

For modern symphonic Mike, i would suggest to you..
Echolyn - The End is Beautiful
The Tea Club - Quickly, Quickly, Quickly
IQ - The Seventh House

IQ is the only Neo-Prog band i like. Not sure why, but they actually interest me. I know the singer is awesome though. That's one of three albums i have by them and is my favorite. They're are prolly better albums out there that would be a better recommendation, but from the three i have (7th House, Frequency, and Ever) i like it most atm. You prolly have heard these guys and this is a useless paragraph - oh well. LOL

I'll second the notion that "The Seventh House" is IQ's best album and I do have all of them.  "Subterrenea" is a close second for me but I consider IQ to be the iconic Neo Prog band with "The Seventh House" being their best offering.

Enjoy,
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 14:26
Thanks for the backup Cool

The only section that makes me disappointed is the Achilles Last Stand rip off ;(
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 14:41
I'd have to say "Sleeping In Traffic 2" is Beardfish's best album, but Destined Solitaire and Mammoth are not far behind. Sleeping In Traffic 1 and their recent The Void are also very good. Haven't heard their debut, but the second album The Sane Day has a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of filler.

I don't like IQ. I've tried them multiple times, mostly Frequency, or whichever album came out in 2009.

I've listened to Echolyn's "Mei" album about 5 times, but that epic tune didn't really do anything for me, and never made me want to explore further.

I'm not necessarily looking to get into a lot of new stuff, as I've amassed a ton of music in the past 2 1/2 years, that I'm still trying to catch up.

Edited by darkshade - June 13 2013 at 14:41
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 14:41
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I've been listening to Simon Says today. Another modern Swedish symphonic prog band.

Ok, you've got my interest....   a little description please?...  english vocals?....  tell us more please

I have been enjoying the new Sanguine Hum.  Very original, super clean guitars in lots of odd time meters with good harmonic resolves and organic rhodes & hammond keys....  UK band as well...
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 14:50
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I've been listening to Simon Says today. Another modern Swedish symphonic prog band.

Ok, you've got my interest....   a little description please?...  english vocals?....  tell us more please

I have been enjoying the new Sanguine Hum.  Very original, super clean guitars in lots of odd time meters with good harmonic resolves and organic rhodes & hammond keys....  UK band as well...
English vocals and the usual suspects of guitars, bass, drums, and keyboards with a bit of flute.

This is their most epic track from their 3rd album Tardigrade. If you like it you might want to check them out further.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 15:20

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Good to see you back Dennis!  For what it's worth, I don't ever send anybody here PM's if they disappear for a while, so it was nothing personal Wink

In addition to "tone deaf" we can add deaf, dumb and blind to your list of accolades.Wink

Back on page 337 I posted:

"To the group: I have been under the weather, sorry for my absence.  If anybody cares you can PM me for
details...     Love ya all."      (I love to quote myself, it is so empowering!)Approve

If you would like some basic "reading" lessons I would be happy to help after I straighten you out
on the divine supremecy of the YES song: "To Be Over" which you tragically underrated in a prior post.Wink
Relayer may be one of the finest start to finish recordings, ever...

Ok, looks like we will be needing more therapy sessions than I thought, originally.  LOL

No, I read it.  My previous comment stands Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 15:55

English vocals and the usual suspects of guitars, bass, drums, and keyboards with a bit of flute.

This is their most epic track from their 3rd album Tardigrade.  

Cool. Thanks.  Smile

@infandous:  Good to know you can read.Wink   Though I am surprised that a fine guitarist like yourself, doesn't
enjoy the amazing guitar work in YES - To Be Over.  And I am sincerely surprised you don't enjoy Trick of The Tail
as much as Wind & Wuthering.  Maybe its time to take the Bon Jovi posters off your wall???LOL
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 16:45

This is their most epic track from their 3rd album Tardigrade.  

Cool. Thanks.  Smile

@infandous:  Good to know you can read.Wink   Though I am surprised that a fine guitarist like yourself, doesn't
enjoy the amazing guitar work in YES - To Be Over.  And I am sincerely surprised you don't enjoy Trick of The Tail
as much as Wind & Wuthering.  Maybe its time to take the Bon Jovi posters off your wall???LOL

Never had a Bon Jovi poster, never cared for the band myself.

For what it's worth, Relayer is my favorite Yes album of them all (well, I go back forth between that and Tales).  I really don't like Trick as much as W&W, but the first two songs on Trick are as good as anything Genesis has ever done.  Los Endos is cool too.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 21:21
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I don't see how anybody could like sound chaser, and to be over  > GOD - Hmmmm just seen the link with the Flokis there.....The Live Version of GOD on Shows is a helluva lot better than the studio version IMHO.

Like I said I saw Genesis in 1977 - and NOBODY just NOBODY plays that sort of floaty Ghostly guitar style that Hackett Perfected - Stolt possibly beats Hackett for emotional stringsmanship - but I think that for an ambience creating backdrop Hackett was supreme....So then in 1978 - Genesis decided to do pop...as if they didn't already have more money than they could spend since they were brought up in houses where it takes you twenty minutes to pop next door and borrow a cup of caviar from your equally loaded neighbour. Jesus - Rutherford and Banks had childhood homes with gardens that were so big that they were used to Land fully laden B52s when they got lost heading for Mildenhall.......It REALLY pissed me off I can tell you - my favourite band going to sh*t...

The songs on Genesis through We Can't Dance, were not that bad.  I think the production was the culprit.  Not one great 70s artist came out of the 80s unscathed.  Very, very frustrating.  I'd love to hear Fading Lights with 70s era keyboards.  Near the end, Banks was nothing on stage.  Those crappy digital keys did not serve him well.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 02:32
I think Gus once described Simon Says as like The Flower Kings on speed LOL and that's a pretty fair description.

I'll second the recommendation for Sleeping In Traffic Part 2, Beardfish's best imho.  Part 1 and Destined Solitaire are close for next best.

I'll also chime in in favour of IQ's best as The Seventh House, with The Wake as my second favourite.  I've been a fan of theirs since the early 80s and am proud to say I have numbered copy number 12 of Tales From The Lush Attic as well as an original copy of their first cassette album 7 Stories Into 8. 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 10:43
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I think Gus once described Simon Says as like The Flower Kings on speed LOL and that's a pretty fair description.

I'll second the recommendation for Sleeping In Traffic Part 2, Beardfish's best imho.  Part 1 and Destined Solitaire are close for next best.

I'll also chime in in favour of IQ's best as The Seventh House, with The Wake as my second favourite.  I've been a fan of theirs since the early 80s and am proud to say I have numbered copy number 12 of Tales From The Lush Attic as well as an original copy of their first cassette album 7 Stories Into 8. 

That was indeed my description, though I only have the Tardigrade album, which is quite good.

For me Destined Solitaire is their best by far, and what changed me from a casual listener of their stuff to a die hard fan.  Of course, the others you mention are all great (though the title track for Sleeping In Traffic just doesn't seem that great to me........I enjoy it, but it seems much less concise and fun than their other material......of course, it IS 35 minutes long, so maybe they just were too ambitious with that one, even though it was their first song according to Rickard).

IQ is also the only neo prog band I've ever gotten into.  They have some really good stuff, and Seventh House is excellent.  My favorite of theirs though, is The Wake.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 10:45
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

as well as an original copy of their first cassette album 7 Stories Into 8. 

Flower Kings on speed?Confused  Hmm, that sounds too much for me. Some peeps just love billions of speedy notes, though...

I just discovered Twin Age - Lialim High, much more mellow but very cool, still

As far as your old cassette collection.  Nothing says "Old Man" like  "Hey look at me, I've got a bunch of old cassette tapes!" There is no "upside" to telling the world you are "old as the hills". I would save your cassettes for your grandkids, if I were you.Wink

Harvest of Souls is my favorite IQ piece.

I would love Beardfish to death if they didn't do that silly teen-age growl thing.  It ruins the great music they do.

Edited by dennismoore - June 14 2013 at 10:47
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 10:51
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I don't see how anybody could like sound chaser, and to be over  > GOD - Hmmmm just seen the link with the Flokis there.....The Live Version of GOD on Shows is a helluva lot better than the studio version IMHO.

Like I said I saw Genesis in 1977 - and NOBODY just NOBODY plays that sort of floaty Ghostly guitar style that Hackett Perfected - Stolt possibly beats Hackett for emotional stringsmanship - but I think that for an ambience creating backdrop Hackett was supreme....So then in 1978 - Genesis decided to do pop...as if they didn't already have more money than they could spend since they were brought up in houses where it takes you twenty minutes to pop next door and borrow a cup of caviar from your equally loaded neighbour. Jesus - Rutherford and Banks had childhood homes with gardens that were so big that they were used to Land fully laden B52s when they got lost heading for Mildenhall.......It REALLY pissed me off I can tell you - my favourite band going to sh*t...

The songs on Genesis through We Can't Dance, were not that bad.  I think the production was the culprit.  Not one great 70s artist came out of the 80s unscathed.  Very, very frustrating.  I'd love to hear Fading Lights with 70s era keyboards.  Near the end, Banks was nothing on stage.  Those crappy digital keys did not serve him well.  

I grew up in the 80's, so naturally I despised Genesis.  In college, I had bought a Pink Floyd bootleg from a local shop....it was so horrible sound wise I decided to return it to the store.  They, of course, would not allow me to return it, but they would buy it back..........for less than half what I paid for it.  This left me with about $10, so I browsed the store.  I had recalled a good friend telling me that Genesis used to be good, back in the 70's, and that Peter Gabriel used to be their singer (at the time, I didn't care for him either, having only heard Games Without Frontiers and Sledgehammer).  So when I saw Genesis Live, the picture of Gabriel in his crazy Apocalypse in 9/8 costume, along with only 5 tracks listed, I decided to give it a go.  I loved it from the opening chords of Watcher to the final notes of The Knife, first time through.  It actually took me a while to get into the studio albums after that, because I so much loved the mix on that album (guitar and bass high in the mix, keys low.......almost the opposite of the studio albums).  However, they became a fast favorite of mine and I love the Gabriel stuff above all to this day.   It took me years to get Trick and Wind, but I agree they are great albums.  I remember that my roommate in college like Duke a lot, and I remember that I enjoyed it as well, though not nearly as much as the Gabriel era stuff.  I listed to And Then There Were Three a couple times when I worked at a video rental / music store, and just found it to be pretty bland...........better than Abacab and Invisible Touch, but nothing that made we want to own a copy.

Basically, I just think that without Gabriel and Hackett, they were a much less interesting band.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 22:06
Infandous says:
"I grew up in the 80's, so naturally I despised Genesis."  

You know what I'm talking about!  Phil Collins ad nauseumConfused

I like Duke a lot.  I'd love to hear how they initially were going to pull together the Duke Suite.  I know they did it live, I'd just like to hear the studio version.  I think the keys sound so great on that album and the production is top notch.  Way better than And Then There Were Three.  I really wish that had been the template for 80s production.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  Abacab is great too.  Title track and that keyboard solo on Dodo/Lurker!

Edited by zumacraig - June 14 2013 at 22:13
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 08:04

What's going on here then? Page 2? Shocking!

Is everyone on holiday or something?

Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 08:47

I've just recovered from a severe bout of food poisoning - at one point I thought I was in my very last hour on earth!!! Arse gravy and stomach pains like I was John Hurt in the Nostromo !!!!

Anyway I am going on holiday this Saturday - Ibiza in Spain....
On the music front - Lets hear it for "From Land to Ocean" by Galleon - a truly fantastic double CD and definitely in my top 10 of all time.............

Edited by M27Barney - June 18 2013 at 08:47
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 09:23
So I had the chance to listen to some of the Fan Club CD's this morning and it was a bit hit and miss surprisingly enough.  I will say this much, listening to "The Cinema Show" reminded me how much I enjoy Mr. Stolt's guitar.  I haven't listened to a lot of FK as of late, I think it's time to change that a little bit.  I've got "Stardust We Are" (the album) spinning as we speak.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Swedish Prog Mafia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedish Prog Mafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 09:40
Hello Everyone, just thought I'd join in and say: The Flower Kings is my favorite band

Some Trivia:
*Favorite album: Space Revolver
*Favorite Songs: Monsters & Men, I Am the Sun Part One, The Big Puzzle
*First heard of the band when checking out Dream Theater & Transatlantic
*Never saw them live, but I saw 'The Power of Two' concert in tilburg (Agents Of Mercy + Karmakanic) and I saw the Transatlantic concert on High Voltage (the one with Steve Hackett )
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:18
Originally posted by Swedish Prog Mafia Swedish Prog Mafia wrote:

Hello Everyone, just thought I'd join in and say: The Flower Kings is my favorite band

Some Trivia:
*Favorite album: Space Revolver
*Favorite Songs: Monsters & Men, I Am the Sun Part One, The Big Puzzle
*First heard of the band when checking out Dream Theater & Transatlantic
*Never saw them live, but I saw 'The Power of Two' concert in tilburg (Agents Of Mercy + Karmakanic) and I saw the Transatlantic concert on High Voltage (the one with Steve Hackett )

Welcome to the group!  You have a good user name for this group LOL

Your favorites are good, though I personally don't care much for Monsters&Men, but plenty of others here love it as well.

Saw Power Of Two as well, in Pittsburgh PA, and have seen the Flower Kings 3 times (the first time in 2001, the most recent just a few weeks ago).  Never seen Transatlantic, sadly (but since they will tour again, I have another chance!).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345346347348349 486>