Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 472473474475476 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:37
I have it on pre-order already.....I do miss Bodin in TFK, who doesn't. Lovely Roger Dean artwork too.
THE FLOWER KINGS | Islands BLACK VINYL - Nuclear Blast
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have it on pre-order already.....I do miss Bodin in TFK, who doesn't. Lovely Roger Dean artwork too.
THE FLOWER KINGS | Islands BLACK VINYL - Nuclear Blast

Me too Vinyl!  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 07:44
I received my advanced copy for review and am very, very pleased.
The Prog Corner
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 08:05
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

There's no reason why you should not be pleased.......It's The Flower Kings for God's sake!!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 08:29

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

There's no reason why you should not be pleased.......It's The Flower Kings for God's sake!!

Well said sir

Music Is Live

<
Tull Tales View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tull Tales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 16:32
My introduction to them was "The Rainmaker" which I absolutely LOVE although I seem to be in the minority. They are ALL good and you really cannot go wrong.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 08:34
Originally posted by Tull Tales Tull Tales wrote:

My introduction to them was "The Rainmaker" which I absolutely LOVE although I seem to be in the minority. They are ALL good and you really cannot go wrong.
Don't worry, I find Adam&Eve to be one of my fav albums and a top TFK releases, I am in the minority also not many if any here like that album.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 08:44
I got the album yesterday, but haven't listened to it yet.  I haven't been excited about a release of theirs since 2007, though I have found something to enjoy on all of them.  The last one I found rather "flat" though I do love a couple tunes on there and Roine's leads are great, as always.

I'm really hoping to not be disappointed by this new one, as I was by the last 3.  Since I did end up liking (but not loving) those, hopefully this will be similar if not much better.  My expectations are not high, so that may help me enjoy it more.

While it may not sound like it, they are still in my top 5 favorite bands of all time, and I still have great respect and admiration for Roine (and all the members past and present, for that matter).

Hey, are you guys aware that Tomas is working on a single, 1 1/2 hour piece of music that he is going to release at some point?  It's on his Facebook page along with a teaser (very short, but sounds like Tomas).  So for those of us who miss him, it looks like he's doing something we may enjoy.....
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 08:57

Originally posted by Tull Tales Tull Tales wrote:

Don't worry, I find Adam&Eve to be one of my fav albums and a top TFK releases, I am in the minority also not many if any here like that album.

'Adam & Eve' is without a doubt my favorite! (And this comes from a big TFK fan)
Not a single note on that record bores me; and should I mention how grandiose the two epics are?
'The Rainmaker' is also among my top choices when it comes to the Kings of modern symphonic prog. A few songs there are not as strong but tracks like 'Last Minute On Earth', 'Road to Sanctuary', 'City of Angels' and 'Serious Dreamers' are simply TFK staples.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 09:26
5. Space Revolver
4. Adam And Eve
3. Stardust We Are
2. Paradox Hotel

1. Flower Powder

My top five

Music Is Live

<
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

5. Space Revolver
4. Adam And Eve
3. Stardust We Are
2. Paradox Hotel

1. Flower Powder

My top five

Pretty neat top five
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 15:11
"Flower Powder" LOL

For me, the best TFK "album" is Space Revolver, because I like it from start to finish, and it really feels like a big suite of music!

But anyway, I'm a HUGE fan, so every TFK album has strong tracks... and a bad TFK album does not exist in my world.

Back to the new album, here are my favorites tracks :
  • Racing with Blinders On (4:33) - groovy!
  • From the Ground (4:10) - cool, could have been on "Adam & Eve"!
  • Black Swan (5:57) - wow, "Queen"-style!
  • Morning News (4:06) - "Beatles" or "Agents of Mercy"-style!
  • Broken (6:47) - pretty intense!
  • Solaris (9:31) - amazing!
  • Man in a Two Peace Suit (3:28) - symphonic prog at its best!
  • All I Need Is Love (5:53) - pop song, then prog... I love it!
  • A New Species (5:56) - "Endless Sporadic"-style!
  • Serpentine (3:52) - jazz-fusion-style!
  • Looking for Answers (4:47) - moving!
  • Islands (4:15) - nothing new here, but a nice closing track.

What about you?
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 16:46
Solaris is my fave track off Islands. Surprisingly enough, the lead singles IMO are some of the weaker songs.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 17:51
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I got the album yesterday, but haven't listened to it yet.  I haven't been excited about a release of theirs since 2007, though I have found something to enjoy on all of them.  The last one I found rather "flat" though I do love a couple tunes on there and Roine's leads are great, as always.

I'm really hoping to not be disappointed by this new one, as I was by the last 3.  Since I did end up liking (but not loving) those, hopefully this will be similar if not much better.  My expectations are not high, so that may help me enjoy it more.

While it may not sound like it, they are still in my top 5 favorite bands of all time, and I still have great respect and admiration for Roine (and all the members past and present, for that matter).

Hey, are you guys aware that Tomas is working on a single, 1 1/2 hour piece of music that he is going to release at some point?  It's on his Facebook page along with a teaser (very short, but sounds like Tomas).  So for those of us who miss him, it looks like he's doing something we may enjoy.....
I kinda sorta do hearya....The last album is not bad, decent and has its moments. But I am getting a bit tired of the 50 LOL songs on an album, its pushing the quantity over quality. Give me a solid, outstanding 45-50 min album that I don't need to block out 2 hours of my day to listen to.

I miss Tomas.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 18:16
I really enjoy this whole album, going to pick up the vinyl release! It is long, but it's an easy and comfortable listen, usually do one disc at a time.

This is the first album i've enjoyed by them. 2020 is the year of discovering old artists via their newest release for me, Motorpsycho, TFK, HAken, Pain of Salvation

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 04 2020 at 18:19
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 00:33
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

5. Space Revolver
4. Adam And Eve
3. Stardust We Are
2. Paradox Hotel

1. Flower Powder

My top five

Pretty neat top five

Thank you...

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I really enjoy this whole album, going to pick up the vinyl release! It is long, but it's an easy and comfortable listen, usually do one disc at a time.

This is the first album i've enjoyed by them. 2020 is the year of discovering old artists via their newest release for me, Motorpsycho, TFK, HAken, Pain of Salvation

Motorpsycho are a outstanding band...TFK " Islands " is a enjoyable album from start to finish will it be in my top five albums list for 2020 unsure at the moment  

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 12:06

I kinda sorta do hearya....The last album is not bad, decent and has its moments. But I am getting a bit tired of the 50 LOL songs on an album, its pushing the quantity over quality. Give me a solid, outstanding 45-50 min album that I don't need to block out 2 hours of my day to listen to.

I miss Tomas.

Yeah, for me I just miss the epics.  You do realize that the last two albums are not much longer than their single CD releases from the 2000's, right? Wink  Not to even mention the doubles, like Unfold (130 minutes!). 

Listened to CD1 today, and I like it.  For now, more than the last 3 already, but I will need to listen to the second CD and probably a few more times for both to know for sure.  But I enjoy it quite a bit so far.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 12:23
I decided to revisit their entire discography before I listen to the new one.  I figured it gave me a good excuse since I haven't listened to them to much lately in recent years.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 12:50

I miss Tomas.

Yeah, for me I just miss the epics.  You do realize that the last two albums are not much longer than their single CD releases from the 2000's, right? Wink  Not to even mention the doubles, like Unfold (130 minutes!). 

Listened to CD1 today, and I like it.  For now, more than the last 3 already, but I will need to listen to the second CD and probably a few more times for both to know for sure.  But I enjoy it quite a bit so far.
Ohh I know.....maybe its more that I feel the last few have just been fine, nothing really spectacular (Stardust, FP, Unfold), something missing I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 472473474475476 486>