35 [47.95%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Round Classics: PG3 v. Phaedra
    Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:37
this one could be interesting.. or not .. interesting to see which way this one turns

For Gabriel.  The man who fired me from the Neo Prog team.  That took balls man LOL ROBERT!!!!!

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (3 -

PETER GABRIEL (3 - "MELT")

Peter Gabriel

Crossover Prog

4.20 | 670 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Cygnus X-2
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator
5 stars Peter Gabriel left Genesis following the massive album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway to pursue a solo career. His first two solo albums were a mixture of pop and moderately progressive rock. His third one was his first album to be released in the 80s, and it's one of his darkest albums ever. Featuring a wide array of all-star musicians, from Phil Collins to Robert Fripp, this album is a stunning timepiece that really could have only been done by Peter Gabriel at that time. The musicianship on this album varies from dissonant chords to melodic saxophone solos. One word can be derived from this album, breathtaking.

Beginning with the unsettling chords of Intruder (which really has the Fripp vibe circa Larks Tongue in Aspic), the steady drumming and the amalgamation of the surrounding voices and instruments (especially this shrieking guitar noise in the background) gives this song a very uneasy feeling. Gabriel's vocal is very sullen and quiet, but in moments he really shines with an unsettling cry (and some whistling at the end). No Self Control follows with very groovy vibes and tuned percussion, as well as a very sparse and claustrophobic guitar in the background. Gabriel's vocal here is bitter and sullen. The chorus is where the song becomes more involving. The guitar is a real treat here with some meaty chords. The drumming on this track is also superb.

Start is a short instrumental with a nice saxophone solo from Dick Morrissey, and some nice synthesizers from Gabriel and Larry Fast. It's a nice little interlude between No Self Control and I Don't Remember. This song has some strong synthesizers and a nice beat to it. Tony Levin is a star on this track with a great stick line that gives the song a great groove. Family Snapshot begins with some somber piano and some emotional vocals from Gabriel. The background saxophone creates a more intense atmosphere as Gabriel whales and sings his heart out as the song becomes progressively more intense. Add a great bass line and some great guitars and you have one of the best songs on the album.

And Through the Wire has some nice crying from Gabriel and some very steady drumming and bass guitars. The lyrics for this song are also among the best of the album. Peter really knows how to arrange songs as this song has brilliant quiet sections and uplifting loud sections. Games without Frontiers was the hit single from this album, and I can see why. Some great percussion and guitar lines mold nicely with the restrained drums and the very consistent bass line. The whistling ushers in the chorus, which has a menacing feel to it. Gabriel's vocals on this track are also very strong. Not One of Us begins with some great chord progressions from the guitars, and then the snare drum brings in the rest of the band. Once again Levin provides a groovy stick line that takes the song into many different avenues.

Lead a Normal Life begins with some nice percussion and a melodic piano theme, but once the synthesizers and guitars kick in, the song takes a more disturbing turn. The alternating musical themes in the song really make it a unique one on the album. This mostly instrumental track is one of my favorites on the album. And finally, Biko ends the album with an inspiring Gabriel vocal. His rough vocal on this track is complimented by a nice choir and some tribal percussion. The dissonant guitar in the background helps create a tense atmosphere and it really ends the album well.

Overall, 3 is one of Peter Gabriel's most experimental albums. The "no cymbal" idea works well and allows the other instruments to breathe in the more hectic sections. This album is also great because of its quirky instrumentation and the song arrangements give it a very Talking Heads "new wave" feel. It may be one of the best Peter Gabriel albums to date, and he only went back to this type of sound for his next album, Security. All of the songs are strong and I can find no weakness on this album. Masterpiece. 5/5.

and in Phaedra's corner... one of my favorites.. Alex!!! great review man.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra CD (album) cover

PHAEDRA

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

4.14 | 579 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

MovingPictures07
Prog Reviewer
5 stars One of the finest electronic albums ever made and an album that defined history. That cannot be said about many albums of their respective genres, let alone a genre that is often misunderstood: progressive electronic. No other group has pioneered more in the realms of that genre arguably than Tangerine Dream, particularly in their Virgin years, and this album is possibly their most historically groundbreaking.

1. Phaedra: 17 minutes of sheer spooky, mellotron and keyboard-driven insanity. This is near impossible to describe, the sonic textures flowing from sound to sound right in your ears. This is perfect music for studying, relaxing, or meditating! I often like to play this album, and particularly this track, during the winter in the evenings. It is incredibly expressive and this track is simply a journey from beginning to end into a world that Froese and the crew construct for you. Never unexciting! 10/10

2. Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares: Yes, the title says it all. I might even like this song more than the previous title track; and I want it to be played at my funeral. It is perhaps one of the most eerie, beautiful songs I've ever heard in my entire life. This song features even more emotionally-played mellotron than the title track. This is the epitome of head music, a whole world opening up inside of your head as you hear it. This track makes the album a masterpiece alone. You simply have to hear it. Definitely in my top 5 favorite songs of all time. 10+/10

3. Moments of a Visionary: How can you top the previous track? Well, you really can't, but this song does a pretty decent job of following. In contrast to the all-encompassing blanket of warmth that is Semblance, this song starts off immediately as being more distant. It then builds perfectly into an icy journey (or so that's how I vision it) and is another very effective, mood/head song. Very effective, but barely misses the mark of absolute perfection. 9/10

4. Sequent C: A very haunting way to end the album, and also very short. However, it is just as effective as the previous 3, continuing the atmosphere laid out through the entire album yet being as memorable as the ones that came before it. The meticulous and well-written craftsmanship of these songs is amazing, and this is no exception. 9/10

If you think you know everything about music and haven't heard this, get it. However, if you're looking for a certain sound and don't have an open mind, you may not like it, as this music is nothing like Yes, jazz fusion, or prog metal. Of course, if you've read all of this review in this particular sub-genre by this artist, then you must be interested. So there are no exceptions. Buy it now. You won't regret it.

A masterpiece of progressive rock. 10/10

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:42
Tried to vote Phaedra. Damn, I gotta do this again too.
Magma America Great Make Again
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:44
Phaedra probably the most listenable and one of the best TD albums, but Peter Gabriel is genius and I've heard that album countless times.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:59
Peter Gabriel my muse!
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:08
whoa, wait...it says I have already voted in this poll yet doesn't show my vote for Phaedra. If I ever go insane it will be because of the internet.
Magma America Great Make Again
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:15
Phaedra, no contest.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:44
The Intruder
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:44
Phaedra, but not by much.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 11:10
Neither of the two would fit into the top 10 of my tastes, although I enjoy them both.
 I guess I'll go with Gabriel. No, Tangerine Dream. No, Gabriel. No, Tangerine Dream (leaves room to get coin. Heads it's PG, tails it's TD ... and the toss ... and the winner is ... HEADS!!!)
 Oh, I think I'll vote for Peter Gabriel.
PROGMATIC
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:04
Phaedra for me.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:05
Pee Gee Three
TD is still a closed door for me.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:19
Never been into either that much so no vote unless I decide to YouTube both of them later.

Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:25
Phaedra by a mile for me.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:52
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

whoa, wait...it says I have already voted in this poll yet doesn't show my vote for Phaedra. If I ever go insane it will be because of the internet.

LOLClap

if the vote is needed.. it will be counted. This is the last one I'm voting for today. I'll catch the rest later to make sure they get counted. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:54
Phaedra for me btw.   I may not like much electronica.. but this one sort of is on a higher plane and transcends it. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:56
PG3 is a nice enough album but Phaedra is transcendental
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 18:10
Tough ... and unfair. One is a rock record, the other is an electronic music record.

PGIII ... because it needs more votes.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 18:26
Phaedra is a very good TD album but not among my favorites from them whereas PG3 is one of my favorites from that august artist.  Melt it is.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 18:27
PG.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 18:32
go Phaedra go!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>