Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Gabriel: Peter Gabriel 1 (aka Car)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 15:35
Really like that album, moribund the burgermeister is my favorite Gabriel song.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2021 at 13:00
The first Peter Gabriel album, while not a very accessible album, has stood the test of time. 

It's certainly not perfect, yet it creates atmospheres that have never really been recaptured by him or by anybody else. 

It's truly unique.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2021 at 13:50
I've now listened to and rated all of Peter Gabriel's albums.....

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2021 at 14:15
Yeah, I'll never get or agree with your ratings. But you type beautifully.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2021 at 16:08
Haven't listened to it in a while. I recall feeling it was kind of inconsistent. Not because of the wide variety of things, but because some ideas just worked out better than others. However it certainly has its flashes of glory, and Solisbury Hill is one of my favorite Gabriel songs.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2021 at 20:07
Great album, I think it's my favorite after III.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 05:32
'Gabriel 1 is a little over produced, and I prefer the more stripped down 'Gabriel 2. The two together, however, represent his best solo work over what was to follow.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 08:08
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

'Gabriel 1 is a little over produced, and I prefer the more stripped down 'Gabriel 2. The two together, however, represent his best solo work over what was to follow.
I agree. The first two were more Gabriel-esque.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 08:35
Peter Gabriel's first four albums may have sold more copies if he'd come up with a proper title for them, just as his record company was urging. Smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 08:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Peter Gabriel's first four albums may have sold more copies if he'd come up with a proper title for them, just as his record company was urging. Smile

Doubtful. People rarely buy albums for the titles. If anything more people were aware of the albums BECAUSE he didn’t title them. I know the first I was aware of Peter Gabriel was because he’d just released ANOTHER untitled album.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 09:08
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Doubtful. People rarely buy albums for the titles. If anything more people were aware of the albums BECAUSE he didn’t title them. I know the first I was aware of Peter Gabriel was because he’d just released ANOTHER untitled album.

Agreed. The best example was when Atlantic record execs were having seizures about Led Zeppelin releasing an album that was not only untitled, but one that had no reference to the band at all -- even on the album spine. They called it "professional suicide". Naturally, Led Zeppelin IV rose to #1 in a week of release in the UK, and went on to sell over 37 million copies worldwide.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 09:44

I didn't buy any albums at the time of release by Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin or Peter Gabriel, mainly because of the unimaginative album "titles". Maybe I'm just shallow. Tongue

By the way, Peter Gabriel's "So" album was his best-selling album, which also happened to be his first album with a proper title, if you can call it that. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 09:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Agreed. The best example was when Atlantic record execs were having seizures about Led Zeppelin releasing an album that was not only untitled, but one that had no reference to the band at all -- even on the album spine. They called it "professional suicide". Naturally, Led Zeppelin IV rose to #1 in a week of release in the UK, and went on to sell over 37 million copies worldwide.
But that didn't deter how the record execs think. With an album title and band identification, they that the album would have sold twice that amount. LOL

Edited by SteveG - July 03 2021 at 09:46
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 09:52
I love the car album. It's certainly my favourite PG album. I also saw him on his first solo tour.
In fact my enjoyment of his work reduced with each album. I do realise I'm in a minority. The So album though his biggest seller was my last PG purchase.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 10:05

By the way, Peter Gabriel's "So" album was his best-selling album, which also happened to be his first album with a proper title, if you can call it that. Smile

It was also his most commercial album, with videos on MTV. So there's that. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 10:13

Maybe I'm just shallow.
You're shallow.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 10:27
On the subject of boring, unimaginative album titles, Chicago surely wins the award for the most of all. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 10:57

Led Zeppelin did the same thing, and it didn't seem to have an adverse effects on their career.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 10:59

On the subject of boring, unimaginative album titles, Chicago surely wins the award for the most of all. Smile

Well someone had to do it. I think after the first two or three they realized nobody cared what they called their album, so they made a tradition out of it. It should also be no surprise that Hot Streets is widely regarded as one of their worst releases.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 11:25
^ The poor sales of Hot Streets might have had something to do with it being Chicago's first disco album. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>