SCRATCH MY BACK

Good, but non-essential

Buy PETER GABRIEL Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1 "Heroes" (David Bowie)
2 "The Boy in the Bubble" (Paul Simon)
3 "Mirrorball" (Elbow)
4 "Flume" (Bon Iver)
5 "Listening Wind" (Talking Heads)
6 "The Power of the Heart" (Lou Reed)
7 "My Body is a Cage" (Arcade Fire)
8 "The Book of Love" (The Magnetic Fields)
9 "I Think it's Going to Rain Today" (Randy Newman)
10 "Apres Moi" (Regina Spektor)
11 "Philadelphia" (Neil Young)
12 "Street Spirit" (Radiohead)

Search PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back lyrics

Search PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back tabs

Peter Gabriel.- vocals and piano
Orchestral instruments, no drums and no guitars

Virgin

Thanks to el rey carmesí for the addition

PETER GABRIEL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back Music

Scratch My Back & I'll Scratch YoursScratch My Back & I'll Scratch Yours
Limited Edition
Real World Productions 2014
Scratch My BackScratch My Back
Deluxe Edition · Special Edition
Real World Productions 2010
Scratch My Back by Peter Gabriel [Music CD]Scratch My Back by Peter Gabriel [Music CD]
Real World Productions
PETER GABRIEL-PASSION-ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV CLEAR CASSETTE TAPE 1989-SOUNDTRACK US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Peter Gabriel - OVO (Cassette) Russia SEALED US $19.50 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Peter Gabriel - Hit (Cassette) Russia SEALED US $19.50 Buy It Now 1h 48m
PETER GABRIEL digging in the dirt 7" WS EX/ promo jukebox uk virgin PGS 7 US $15.51 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Peter Gabriel : Peter Gabriel - 3rd LP CD (1988) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
PETER GABRIEL - Self Titled / Cassette Album Tape / 1st Issue / 2284 US $7.82 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Peter Gabriel: Sledgehammer / Don't Break This Rhythm 7" 45 VG++ Canada Geffen US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
PETER GABRIEL PASSION EDISOM PORTUGAL CASSETTE US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Gabriel P Peter Gabriel=Secret World Live DVD US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
3 Rare programmes from Genesis & Peter Gabriel. US $17.23 [3 bids]
Peter Gabriel - Hit - UK CD album 2003 US $12.53 Buy It Now 4h 20m
PETER GABRIEL-PETER GABRIEL-'SCRATCH'-12" LP ALBUM-CHARISMA 1978-CDS 4013-EX US $5.47 [0 bids]
Secret World Live by Peter Gabriel (CD, Sep-1994,2 Discs, Geffen) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Passion-The Last Temptation Of Christ by Peter Gabriel (CD, May-2002, Geffen) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel SECURITY West Germany CD Charisma 1st press rare 1980s vintage US $31.36 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Peter Gabriel Melt 1980 Self-Titled 1st Sterling Press, VG++, STEAM CLEANED US $19.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Peter Gabriel Self-Titled Solo 1977 RE-1 1st US Press, CLEAN, Excellent, RARE! US $19.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
PETER GABRIEL - SHAKING THE TREE - 16 Golden Greats - 1990 CD US $13.02 Buy It Now 4h 57m
OVO [The Millennium Show] by Peter Gabriel (CD, Jun-2000, Emi/Charisma) US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Beatles Covers SEALED 2 LP All This World War II Jeff Lynne Peter Gabriel US $17.43 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Peter Gabriel - So - PG 5 - LP Record #petergabriel US $17.31 Buy It Now 5h 44m
LOT OF 5 PETER GABRIEL PROMO CD'S FACTORY SEALED CARDBOARDS FACTORY SEALED US $20.99 [0 bids]
6h
Peter Gabriel So CD 1986 US $2.49 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL -SOLSBURY HILL- HEBREW ISRAEL PROMO ULTRA RARE ISRAELI CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats (CD, Dec-1990, Geffen) US $3.21 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 4 (NEW CD) US $14.09 Buy It Now 6h 49m
PETER GABRIEL PLAYS LIVE GEFFEN RECORD ALBUM LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 53m
PETER GABRIEL PLAYS LIVE GEFFEN RECORD ALBUM LP HIGHER GRADE US $19.00 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Peter Gabriel limited edition interview PICTURE DISC12" US $13.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Peter Gabriel Red Rain Ga Ga, Walk Throug Uk 12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
GABRIEL,PETER-PETER GABRIEL 1 (CAR) CD NEW US $14.07 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Peter Gabriel Shock The Monkey 3 track USA Dj 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Peter Gabriel So Russian Lp US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Peter Gabriel(12" Vinyl)Don't Give Up-Virgin-PGS 212-UK-Ex-/VG US $12.53 Buy It Now 7h 25m
PETER GABRIEL-SLEDGE HAMMER US $8.00 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel - LP Record NM VG US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 48m
Peter Gabriel 45 Digging in the Dirt/Quiet Steam US $2.00 Buy It Now 7h 48m
PETER GABRIEL "SLEDGEHAMMER" / "DON'T BREAK THE RHYTHM" 7" PICTURE SLEEVE 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 50m
PETER GABRIEL The Barry Williams Show CARD SLEEVE PROMO CD ISRAEL HEBREW STICKER US $31.50 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill/ Games Without Frontiers - Old Gold Records OG9265 US $3.12 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats 1990 Cassette Rock US $3.00 Buy It Now 8h 28m
LP PETER GABRIEL PLAYS LIVE PGDL 1 US $13.15 Buy It Now 8h 33m
PETER GABRIEL UK 1993 CD Single STEAM DiscMINT US $4.69 Buy It Now 8h 49m
PETER GABRIEL Digging In The Dirt CD 3 Track Digi Pack B/w Instrumental Version US $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 53m
PETER GABRIEL Barry Williams Show CD 2 Track Radio Edit Unadulterated Version Pr US $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 53m
PETER GABRIEL Digging In The Dirt CD 3 Track Radio Edit Promo B/w Instrumental A US $14.55 Buy It Now 8h 53m
PETER GABRIEL Barry Williams Show CD 4 Track Unadulterated Radio Edit B/w Album US $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 54m
PETER GABRIEL S/t CD 14 Track Mail On Sunday Promo Freebie In Card Sleeve UK Up US $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 54m
PETER GABRIEL Birdy CD 12 Track DUTCH Charisma US $12.89 Buy It Now 8h 54m
PETER GABRIEL S/t CD 8 Track Fourth Album UK Virgin 2002 US $9.67 Buy It Now 8h 54m
PETER GABRIEL Blood Of Eden CD 3 Track Album Version Booklet Digi Pack B/w Mercy US $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 54m
PETER GABRIEL BIG BLUE BALL REALWORLD RECORDS- 2008-VG ++++ US $3.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL-SHOCK THE MONEY/SOFT DOG-LP-NM-LEAD SINGER FOR GENESIS-GEFFEN US $7.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel-no self control.7" US $9.41 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Peter Gabriel - New Blood Live In London CD US $18.89 Buy It Now 10h 7m
PETER GABRIEL - SCRATCH MY BACK [PETER GABRIEL] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $10.28 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Peter Gabriel by Peter Gabriel (CD, Sep-1988, Atco (USA)) US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 39m
Passion [Remaster] by Peter Gabriel (CD, May-2002, Geffen) US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 39m
Birdy by Peter Gabriel (CD, Geffen) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Us by Peter Gabriel (CD, Sep-1992, Geffen) Genesis US $2.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey 45 RPM 7" single PS US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
Peter Gabriel: "ME" Interview Picture Disc - Baktabak Limited Ed UK Import CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
So by Peter Gabriel (CD, May-1986, Geffen) Genesis US $2.99 [0 bids]
Up by Peter Gabriel (CD, Sep-2002, Geffen) Genesis US $4.99 [0 bids]
Angelique Kidjo Feat Peter Gabriel Salala Promo Cd Single 2007 No Junior Vasquez US $0.99 [0 bids]
Cat Stevens Original A&M Mona Bona Jakon LP Peter Gabriel 1970 US $12.00 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Peter Gabriel - 1 - 'Car' - Audio Cassette US $4.63 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Secret Policeman's Third Ball CD Kate Bush Duran Peter gabriel Lou Reed US $9.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL - Big Time - 1987 German 3-track 12" Single US $15.66 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Peter Gabriel / Digging in the Dirt / Quiet Steam / 7" Vinyl 45 US $3.95 Buy It Now 11h 20m
So [25th Anniversary Edition] [Deluxe Edition] by Peter Gabriel (CD, 2012, 3... US $20.00 Buy It Now 11h 20m
NME 1982: SYD BARRETT.NICK HEYWARD.NEIL YOUNG.PETER GABRIEL.SURVIVOR.PULSALLAMA US $7.84 Buy It Now 11h 33m
PETER GABRIEL "GAME WITHOUT FRONTIERS" RARE W/P/S CHARISMA 6173 522 IMPORT US $10.00 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL sledgehammer 7" PS EX/EX german 108 038 US $15.51 Buy It Now 11h 44m
PETER GABRIEL Self Titled LP SHOCK THE MONKEY EX US $3.51 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL sledgehammer/don't break this rhythm PGS 1 uk 1986 7" PS EX/EX US $15.51 Buy It Now 11h 49m
PETER GABRIEL-Security-EKONE DANCE COMPANY-Ghanian Drums-GENESIS-Big Blue Ball US $9.29 Buy It Now 11h 52m
PETER GABRIEL "SAME "1980;UK;TOP EX // MINT COND ITEM;COMPLETE' US $16.46 Buy It Now 11h 58m
PETER GABRIEL**US (DIGI)**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Genesis with Peter Gabriel Profile LP NM Vinyl The Silent Sun German Issue Rock US $14.95 Buy It Now 12h 7m
PETER GABRIEL iv self titled s/t same PG4 A1U/B1U 1st pressing uk LP PS EX/EX US $17.70 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Genesis Rock Roots SEALED UK Import DECCA phil collins peter gabriel US $9.99 [0 bids]
Us by Peter Gabriel (CD, Sep-1992, Geffen) US $3.85 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL "NM WAX" Peter Gabriel Plays Live 18S-168 OBI PRINT 2LP AK3200 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel Geffen 45 Record #28718 NM PS 1986 Sledgehammer /Don't Break This US $6.00 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Peter Gabriel-Security- 1982 LP Geffen GHS-2011 4th album Pop Rock EX/EX US $6.99 Buy It Now 13h 6m
Genesis "Foxtrot" Original first press Phil Collins Peter Gabriel Pink Floyd ELP US $31.36 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel - Steam (Edit/LP) - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! Card Sleeve US $5.95 Buy It Now 13h 17m
PETER GABRIEL - Shaking the Tree US $4.00 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel So CD Geffen Records Great Music US $0.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL PLAYS LIVE HIGHLIGHTS PGDLCD1 EUROPE NEW - SEALED! US $8.99 [0 bids]
Robbie Williams Peter Gabriel Rolling Stones Ashcroft Atomic-Mexico promo CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 13h 55m
GENESIS "Selling England By the Pound" LP (CLASSIC 200g) Peter Gabriel OOP/MINT! US $39.99 Buy It Now 14h 3m
Peter Gabriel Shock The Monkey / Solsbury Hill Geffen Ggef-0481 45 Rpm Nm Vinyl US $5.00 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel [1] [Digipak] [Limited] by Peter Gabriel (CD, May-2002,... US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 7m
Birdy [Digipak] [Limited] by Peter Gabriel (CD, May-2002, Universal... US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 7m
So [Digipak] [Limited] by Peter Gabriel (CD, May-2002, Universal Distribution) US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 7m
Peter Gabriel Security 1982 Cassette - Shock the Monkey, I Have the Touch US $2.99 Buy It Now 14h 10m
Wall.E For Your Consideration -- CD Promo Score Peter Gabriel Thomas Newman US $28.50 Buy It Now 14h 12m
Up by Peter Gabriel (CD) PROGRESSIVE ROCK HARD ROCK HEAVY METAL ROCK READ NOTES! US $0.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy PETER GABRIEL music online Buy PETER GABRIEL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER GABRIEL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back ratings distribution

PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back reviews

Review by poslednijat_colobar
2 stars Peter, don't scratch by back, please!!!

Peter Gabriel released new album, but regretfully it's not new at all! This new album is called Scratch My Back and consists of covered songs made by PG. Some of the original artists are famous, other not, but the idea is not the type, I'm looking for. The songs are unvaried and the album will only catch my attention, until it's new. After that I'll forget it like many others. So it's time for PG to move on with real new album in his typical manner, to go and attend the induction of Genesis into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame or to do Lamb tour with Genesis. I don't need to be fooled with cover album! 2 stars, but without really bad songs.

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#266685) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review by chopper
4 stars Those of you familiar with Gabriel's cover of "Strawberry Fields Forever" or the piano version of "Here Comes the Flood" will have some idea of what this CD sounds like. The concept behind the album is that Gabriel records a variety of songs by other artists and the others record one of his songs in return (hence the title). The other artists' songs have yet to appear, so Gabriel's cover versions are the only ones available at the moment.

The songs vary from classics by well-known artists (such as "Heroes" and "The Boy In the Bubble") to songs by lesser known artists such as Bon Iver. All the songs are recorded without guitars and drums and with orchestral backing. In most cases the songs have been slowed down and are sometimes almost unrecognisable - "Heroes" being one example that is barely recognisable apart from the lyrics.

What is recognisable is the quality of Gabriel's voice and it is this quality that sets this album apart. He has chosen a collection of songs which he can apply his emotive vocals to and the outcome is nothing but a triumph - the version of Elbow's "Mirrorball" is one of the most successful. This is an album to sit down and listen to, I would say a "chillout" album but that implies it may be background music, but it is far worthier than that. Highly recommended for fans of the Gabriel voice.

Note that the special edition 2-CD set includes some remixes, a great version of "Waterloo Sunset" and access to 24-bit downloads of the album next month.

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#267092) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 19, 2010

Review by lazland
4 stars I have listened to Gabriel and admired and loved his work for over 30 years now. So when a new Gabriel album is released, it's a must to get it on the day of release. He is one of the few artists I buy physical CDs for nowadays, rather than MP3 downloads, so off I rushed to the local superstore to get my copy.

I admit freely that I was disappointed to learn that the great man was releasing an album of covers, rather than original material - after all, we have, I think, waited far too long since Up.

I have played it quite a few times until putting keyboard to review, and I am glad I did. First listen, I thought it was shocking, but it has since grown on me enormously. Of course, when you relate so strongly to a particular and unique voice such as Gabriel's as I do, it's difficult not to enjoy.

The interpretations are very much in the mold of the piano/voice versions of Father Son and Here Comes The Flood on the last tours, except these are with the backing of an orchestra.

The album starts off extremely strongly with versions of Bowie's Heroes and Simon's Boy in the Bubble, both very suited to this type of interpretation, and it really does proceed much in this vein throughout. Mirrorball, a song I was not familiar with, is simply stunning - Gabriel does Elbow to incredible effect.

Flume gets the full Gabriel vocal effect and is simply beautiful with the backing of a piano only.

Listening Wind, a Talking Heads track written by Byrne & Eno would, you would have thought, be suited to Gabriel. After all, he has collaborated with Eno and I rather think that he and Byrne are alike in their eccentricity. Somehow, though, the track does not pick up beyond a mere pleasant vocal and light orchestral backing, which is a shame. It's not a dirge, but it's not really that far from one.

On Lou Reed's The Power of the Heart, we are back to piano and voice, and this works far better, with some very understated instrumental backing accompanied by a lovely vocal which cracks, literally, with emotion.

My Body is a Cage is another I was totally unfamiliar with, by Arcade Fire, this is a dark piece played slowly and to effect. There is some pulsating orchestration on this track.

The Book of Love is by The Magnetic Fields, and was another new listen for me. I will definitely be listening to more of their material which, I suppose, was the whole point of this exercise. You can almost see Gabriel smiling and indulging in the love of his music and family when you listen to this track, it really has the most lovely Gabriel vocal, backed by his very capable daughter Melanie, who has been such a revelation on tour with her father. Violins create the mood in harmony with these two remarkable voices.

Randy Newman gets the PG treatment next, with I Think It's Gonna Rain Today. This is another piano & voice lead track, and is pleasant without being exceptional.

Regina Spektor's Apres Moi is next up, and this gets the full brass treatment at the start - isn't it nice to hear proper instruments, rather than pure sampling, a sin which even the great man has been overly guilty of sometimes? This is another delicate interpretation with dark underflowing strings bringing a sense of impending doom to proceedings. Very good, very strong, and very dark.

Neil Young is, by common consent, one of the most important North American artists of the 20th Century, so any interpretation of a great track such as Philadelphia deserves a serious listen. A fulsome and emotional Gabriel vocal is once again backed by some quite exquisite instrumentation. Gabriel has the knack of sounding frail when, in reality, he is really rather strong, and this comes across clearly on this track, and I really love the trumpet/cornet solo backed by the trademark Gabriel chant. This is very reminiscent of some of the work on Ovo, and no poorer for that.

The album closes with Street Spirit, that exceptional Radiohead track which, for me, marked the arrival of one of the greatest British bands of the last 20 years. Because it is an original that is so intense and features some incredible guitar work by Greenwood, I don't find Gabriel's quiet interpretation working for me very well. It's not bad, far from it, but the original can barely be bettered in my opinion.

This is an album which will divide opinion sharply. So, here's a warning from an old Gabriel and prog fan - this is NOT a prog album, and doesn't even pretend to be. It is the work of a supreme songwriter and singer interpreting some of his favourite music in his own unique style. By and large, it works extremely well.

If you enjoyed Ovo, as I did, you will love this. If you enjoy Gabriel's original quieter works, this is the one for you. If you are prepared to step out of the box in your listening, as he has with this work, then you will get a great deal of pleasure out of this work. Most of all, though, this is a GABRIEL album, albeit not with original work, and if you love his work, you will love this.

A pleasantly surprising four stars for this. 2010 has gotten off to a good start for me.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#281702) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars Peter Gabriel is maybe old when talking about age, but not when talking about performance. Cover indeed, but done in quite original way (you won't recognize them anymore). String arrangements and only occasionally adventurous singing (most of the times he's quietly speaking/singing). No other instruments makes this even more difficult (from Rock point of view) to approach, but it's decent album.

3(-), not great, not revolutionary, no breakthroughs here, but good anyway. Even from Prog point of view it's nothing special. Album cover is appalling (really), album name is similarly bad for me (and not so connected to album content at all), but even these are covers, they are different. Still covers, but some good is in them.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#288838) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 01, 2010

Review by Chris S
1 stars Oh dear....Scratch My Back is Gabriels version of cover songs and with the exception of two or maybe three, he manages to totally ruin them. First off he has this tendency to sing in a monotone voice with minimal instrumentation, and some strings ( synthesized strings?). Secondly the monotone dirge and vocal noodling barely changes from one song to the next. It sounds like he is reading to a child but can't wait to get to the end of the chapter so he can close the book and say goodnight! Get me out of here! Whilst some of these artists will be impressed, I am sure others will say thanks but no thanks. The positive spin to this release is that the follow up album " I'll Scratch Yours" will feature the same artists doing Gabriel work. I am sure they will do a much better job.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge Gabriel fan but this offering is largely an insult to most listener's ears. Songs worthy of redemption are the wonderful Bon Iver's " Flume" ( Gabriels best cover) and The Magnetic Fields's " The Book Of Love". In terms of Bowie, Talking Heads, Neil Young, Paul Simon & Elbow etc, do us all a favour and do some real cover songs on the return leg. This is a legitimate one star release and is very poor indeed.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#297172) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 02, 2010

Review by Gatot
2 stars The good thing is that I know nothing at all about all songs listed here before I got this album. So, to me, this album sounded like a new Peter Gabriel album, not a cover. I am a great fan of Peter Gabriel since his tennure with Genesis and also his solo albums. I admired his solo especially when he released his fourth album "Security" whivh I think is an excellent album because he explored his musical boundary to what so called world music, using more percussions in its composition. Peter Gabriel greatest achievement is when he composed 'Signal to Noise' of UP album. I think it's really a brilliant musical composition. It combines great vocal, great string section and great sound effects. Two thumbs up for Peter on that!

The only enjoyable thing about this 'Scratch My Back' album is the vocal quality of Peter Gabriel and the string section through orchestral arrangements. Peter has always been performing very well in his charismatic vocal delivery. Unfortunately the music is so empty and not able to create a compelling nuance like 'Signal to Noise'. Basically there is no magic in the album; everything flows flat, no emotional engagement that binds the music and the listener. It's probably because all songs were not originally created by Peter. It's not a good idea for Peter doing cover version like this.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#367769) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Review by Negoba
2 stars Weak but not Completely Meritless

I first listened to samples of Peter Gabriel's SCRATCH MY BACK last year when it was released, and felt a passionate "meh." The overall concept of trading covers using an orchestral "no drums no guitars" approach was moderately interesting. However, the execution seemed lacking - too slow and ponderous, little new added to the pieces. It really seemed like Gabriel was showing his age. Over the last few weeks I've been listening more frequently in anticipation of seeing the New Blood tour this summer. During that time, I've gained a greater appreciation for the album, which does indeed show some creative glimmers but is still a deeply flawed piece of work.

A pivotal track for me was Paul Simon's "Boy in the Bubble." This song's original leaned heavily on an active, bouncy rhythm - it was all about movement, a feeling of dance. The most active image of movement evoked anywhere on SCRATCH MY BACK would be the slow opening of a flower, or perhaps a dingy army on a slow march. As a big fan of GRACELAND, I was peeved at the arrangement and almost shut the album off after 2 tracks. Now, after about 6-8 listens, I must admit that the completely new approach to that song does shed light into a few new corners. The lyrics open up a bit, the sense of wonder which is a core theme gets to breathe. The original is better, but this is an interesting alternate take. In the end, this is the pattern of the entire album.

Of course, there are high and low moments. "My Body is a Cage" is perhaps the best song. Both the arrangement and Gabriel's performance are more intricate and spooky. Though just as slow and dark as the rest of the album, there is more color to this track. A sense of danger and menace finally emerge, and we're reminded, if only briefly, of the deep talent of the man. On the other hand, "Power of the Heart" is so inane that it would make Shania Twain's ugly junior high school sister blush to perform it. My eyes nearly popped out of my head to learn Lou Reed had penned that drek. Gabriel's arrangement is just as lackluster as the lyrics. Similarly, Gabriel adds nothing to Bon Iver's already downer "Flume."

Some of the songs were unfamiliar to me prior to this album. Elbow's "Mirrorball" boasts interesting lyrics and one of the better uses of the orchestra on the album. Regina Spector's "Apres Moi" and the Talking Heads "Listening Wind" are also solid tracks. Occasionally, it feels like the orchestra is going to really pick up steam, but sadly the pace always dies back down all too quickly. So many times, I yearned for a bit more of PG's signature angst and pathos. We get a few teases but never a true "Rhythm of the Heat" scream. Too often we're instead lulled into sleep.

This album was teetering toward toward 1 star at one point for me, but it's actually sniffing at 3 now. Still, there's virtually nothing prog about this album so it remains at two stars. Especially given how much great material you can get from Gabriel, this is simply un- necessary, unless like me, you own everything the man puts out.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#451861) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars This is dangerously close to being a very bad album, and I really wish somebody had been able to talk some sense into Peter as he put this together. In the midst of sorting through dozens of unfinished songs, Peter decided he would take a break and do an album of covers. The idea behind Scratch My Back was that he would do covers of songs by various artists he liked, and then they in turn would cover songs Peter had done, and there could be two albums, Scratch My Back and I'll Scratch Yours out in stores at the same time. In trying to bring this idea to fruition, though, Peter made a major strategic error: he failed to account for the possibility that maybe, just maybe, not everybody on his list of artists would have the time or inclination to cover a Peter Gabriel song, at this late a date, just because he wanted them to. If he really wanted to make this happen, he should have gotten twelve artists on board with agreements to do HIS songs first, and then pick songs from those who volunteered for the task. While some of the corresponding artists came through (Magnetic Fields did a rousing "Not One of Us," and the Paul Simon cover of "Biko" is quite lovely), half of them didn't, and the whole process made Peter look a little foolish.

Not as foolish as the contents of the album, though. Peter decided to impose a restriction on himself - no guitars of any kind, and no drums - and while this could have led to interesting synth layerings intertwined with orchestral elements, Peter uses orchestration almost the entire time (with a very small amount of piano here and there). So that makes this into an orchestral covers album, which doesn't really seem all that impressive when I remember the pleasant-but-mediocre Justin Hayward solo album, Classic Blue, from 20 years earlier. Of course, there is a significant difference between this album and that one; Peter deconstructs a lot of the material into sombre, dirge-like interpretations of the originals, with the melodies stripped down so far they start to lose their melodic core. The worst offender, and the one that I unfortunately heard first, is the closing "Street Spirit" (originally from Radiohead), where Peter almost enters William Shatner territory. It's AWFUL, and makes a higher grade totally out of the question.

There are, I admit, some tracks where I find myself enjoying things a bit. The opening ""Heroes"," where Peter starts on the, "I, I wish you could swim ..." verse, makes this sound like a promising experience, and the cover of Magnetic Fields' "The Book of Love" turns a moderately silly song into a moderately melancholy song, to surprisingly good effect. The cover of Talking Heads' "Listening Wind" nails the atmosphere of the original dead on despite having (obviously) a totally different arrangement, and ... uh ..."Mirrorball" (by a band called Elbow) sounds pretty. On the other hand, the rest of the album ranges from fairly unremarkable to really tacky (the bombastic parts of "My Body is a Cage" by Arcade Fire, though the softer parts are kinda nice, or all of "Apres moi" by Regina Spektor).

On the whole, pretty much the only consistent positive is that, even when he's doing an ill- conceived project, Peter's voice is still as addictive as ever, and a large part of me feels happy to have one more medium in which to hear him. But even his voice can't save this: this may have been a project Peter totally believed in and poured his heart into, but when I hear this, I think of David St. Hubbins and his desire to record a few of his acoustic songs with the London Symphony Orchestra. After 40 years, Peter finally made a mediocre album.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#776242) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 23, 2012

1 stars Seriously, I'm a fan of Peter Gabriel, but do not throw money. The CD starts with a tremendous great version of "Heroes", but from there do not listen with the lights off because you run the serious risk of sleep. The orchestra sounds without soul, the arrangements are bland and linear, the sel ... (read more)

Report this review (#367563) | Posted by David Saez | Wednesday, December 29, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I agree with previous reviews that the first hearing of this album can be quite difficult, as it gives a first impression that all the items pass a somewhat monotonous rhythms away from the sound that Mr. Gabriel has accustomed us. Since I had the great fortune to enjoy New Blood Tour, my positio ... (read more)

Report this review (#302449) | Posted by el rey carmesí | Wednesday, October 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must say i really love this album. I didn't think much of it when it came out, but as i listen to it more and more, i get a sense of what Peter wants to give us. Much like most of his work, this will be appreciated more and more as time passes. I'll just describe the highlights for me. M ... (read more)

Report this review (#277872) | Posted by juanvalverde | Wednesday, April 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars You would think that 40+ years into his career that Peter Gabriel would have nothing new to say. Given that this, his latest release, is also a set of cover tunes, surely retirement to a sedate country life beacons. These assumptions though, are proven to be very much unjust and just pla ... (read more)

Report this review (#269437) | Posted by Progfan1958 | Wednesday, March 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I've been observing the reaction to this recent output by Peter Gabriel, and I've noticed that it has polarized the critics and fans alike. It seems to be one of those "love it or you hate it" works by old Peter. But when you actually sit back and listen, this is a very in depth piece that sim ... (read more)

Report this review (#269111) | Posted by Degree7 | Sunday, February 28, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars WHAT IS THIS?! I believe it was Tolstoy who said art should make you feel like the creator of it when the art was being created (I think). If this is the case, Peter Gabriel must be getting very old. The dirge like vacant arrangements on this album succeed in making a die hard Progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#267520) | Posted by cemego | Monday, February 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A VERY wonderful album indeed. There is an excellent cover of "Philadelphia" by Neil Young from the "Philadelphia" soundtrack, which Peter contributed to, so if the proposed "response" album, tentatively called "I'll Scratch Yours" does materialize, hopefully Neil will cover "Love Street". I was ... (read more)

Report this review (#264062) | Posted by boe_a | Tuesday, February 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER GABRIEL "Scratch my back"