SCRATCH MY BACK

Good, but non-essential

Buy PETER GABRIEL Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1 "Heroes" (David Bowie)
2 "The Boy in the Bubble" (Paul Simon)
3 "Mirrorball" (Elbow)
4 "Flume" (Bon Iver)
5 "Listening Wind" (Talking Heads)
6 "The Power of the Heart" (Lou Reed)
7 "My Body is a Cage" (Arcade Fire)
8 "The Book of Love" (The Magnetic Fields)
9 "I Think it's Going to Rain Today" (Randy Newman)
10 "Apres Moi" (Regina Spektor)
11 "Philadelphia" (Neil Young)
12 "Street Spirit" (Radiohead)

Search PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back lyrics

Search PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back tabs

Peter Gabriel.- vocals and piano
Orchestral instruments, no drums and no guitars

Virgin

Thanks to el rey carmesí for the addition

PETER GABRIEL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back Music

So (25th Anniversary Remaster)So (25th Anniversary Remaster)
Real World Productions 2012
Secret World LiveSecret World Live
Geffen Records 1994
Peter Gabriel 2: ScratchPeter Gabriel 2: Scratch
Real World Prod. Ltd 2010
Peter Gabriel "Peter Gabriel/Security" Original LP VG++ US $8.99 Buy It Now 46m 46s
Peter Gabriel "Security" Original LP N/M US $9.99 Buy It Now 46m 46s
VG++ PETER GABRIEL BIG TIME/WE DO WHAT WE'RE TOLD 1986 45 RPM GEFFEN 7-28503 US $2.98 Buy It Now 57m
PETER GABRIEL ~ BEFORE US: A Brief History (1992 Geffen) VERY GOOD **FREE S US $9.50 [0 bids]
1h
12 CD/EP lot Peter Gabriel Lovetown SW Live Kiss That Frog Steam Security Us So US $10.00 [3 bids]
Peter Gabriel Plays Live 2 Vinyl LP Set Geffen Records 2GHS 4012 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats by Peter Gabriel (CD, Dec-1990, Geffen) US $1.99 [0 bids]
peter gabriel Plays Live US $12.75 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer" +3 12" single, 1986 Geffen USA, Genesis related US $1.00 [0 bids]
So by Peter Gabriel (CD, May-1986, Geffen) Progressive Music / Art Rock US $2.50 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel "US" 1992 Geffen Rock CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Peter Gabriel - Shock the Monkey/Soft Dog - UK Version 7" Picture Disc Single US $6.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL No Self Control Ex Charisma 1980 UK P/S 7" US $8.47 Buy It Now 2h 26m
PETER GABRIEL US US $4.13 Buy It Now 2h 37m
PETER GABRIEL US US $1.85 Buy It Now 2h 39m
PETER GABRIEL Security 1982 Geffen 1st Edition USA CD 80s Shock the Monkey US $9.07 Buy It Now 2h 41m
PETER GABRIEL SELF TITLED PROMO WITH TIMING STRIP-ORIGINAL PICTURE INNER SLEEVE US $9.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL - PETER GABRIEL , CHARISMA 1977 , EX/M- ,LP US $9.32 Buy It Now 3h 2m
NWT So [25th Anniversary Edition] by Peter Gabriel (CD, 2012) NEW US $2.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Phil Collins Peter Gabriel Various - Against All Odds OST LP VG+/VG+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel-Security-LP-Geffen-GHS 2011-OG Sleeve-Vinyl Record US $9.59 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Peter Gabriel Shaking The Tree Sixteen Golden Greats CD GEFFEN 1990 Very Good!! US $4.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
PETER GABRIEL - Shaking The Tree - 1990 - CD - GEFSD 24326 - PROMO COPY US $2.49 [0 bids]
Digging in the Dirt [#2] [Maxi Single] by Peter Gabriel (CD, Geffen) US $8.00 [0 bids]
WALL.E Promo Only SCORE CD Thomas Newman DISNEY #2 PETER GABRIEL US $25.00 Buy It Now 4h
Philadelphia NEAR NEW CD Neil Young BRUCE Peter Gabriel FREE US SHIPPING US $8.78 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Peter Gabriel "BIRDY" SEALED SDTRK LP US $12.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL BIG TIME 7IN 45RPM INTL SHIP? SLSP 46 ACL US $0.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel: 3 - Classic Records Clarity 45RPM 4 LP Box Set - Sealed US $299.99 [0 bids]
BEST OF PETER GABRIEL GREAT LIVE POP HITS CD 90s ART ROCK NINETIES 1993 CONCERT US $4.65 [0 bids]
BEST OF PETER GABRIEL GREAT LIVE POP HITS CD 90s ART ROCK NINETIES 1993 CONCERT US $11.16 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel: 4 - Classic Records Clarity 45RPM 4 LP Box Set - Sealed US $224.99 [0 bids]
5h
Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey - 45 rpm 7' Original vinyl single US $9.99 [0 bids]
5h
PETER GABRIEL & GENESIS 8 CD LOT COLLECTION ALBUMS 1980s Hits/Us/Up/Way We Walk+ US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Peter Gabriel: So - Classic Records Clarity 45RPM 4 LP Box Set - Sealed US $299.99 [1 bids]
So by Peter Gabriel (Cassette, May-1986, Geffen) US $0.50 [0 bids]
GENESIS Trespass Mini LP CD JAPAN VJCP-68091 / Peter Gabriel Anthony Phillips US $22.90 [9 bids]
GENESIS Nursery Cryme Mini LP CD JAPAN VJCP-68092 / Peter Gabriel US $22.72 [7 bids]
Peter Gabriel So Album CD (1986) US $4.23 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Peter Gabriel Passion cd very good Genesis Last Temptation Of Christ Scorcese US $1.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Foxtrot Mini LP CD JAPAN VJCP-68093 / Peter Gabriel Phil Collins US $31.00 [13 bids]
GENESIS Selling England By The Pound Mini LP CD JAPAN VJCP-68095 / Peter Gabriel US $26.00 [4 bids]
Phil Collins Face Value Pressed in Germany Genesis Peter Gabriel Eric Clapton US $14.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel 1980 GHSP 2035 Stereo LP Record US $9.95 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel ~ SLEDGEHAMMER ~ 45 NM ~ Grammy and MTV Video winning smash hit US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats by Peter Gabriel (CD, Dec-1990, Geffen) US $1.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
PETER GABRIEL GENESIS Japan 1982 NM LP+Obi PETER GABRIEL IV US $49.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Peter Gabriel-Self Titled-LP-CHARISMA-6369 978-Mad Hatter-Mint-1977-Germany US $49.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Peter Gabriel Digging In The Dirt Cd Single VIRGIN 1992 UK Import Very Good!! US $11.49 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Peter Gabriel s/t I Mini LP CD JAPAN VJCP-68845 / Robert Fripp Genesis US $13.50 [4 bids]
PETER GABRIEL Big Time / We Do What we're Told 7 inch 45 w/ PS US $1.16 [0 bids]
Us by Peter Gabriel (CD, Sep-1992, Geffen) US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Peter Gabriel II Mini LP CD JAPAN VJCP-68846 NEW / Robert Fripp Genesis US $19.99 [1 bids]
PETER GABRIEL Do It Yourself (D.I.Y.) Mono/St. Promo USA Atlantic 1978 7" US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats by Peter Gabriel (CD, Dec-1990, Geffen) US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Peter Gabriel III Mini LP CD JAPAN VJCP-68847 NEW / Robert Fripp Genesis US $24.00 [2 bids]
Genesis Peter Gabriel Nursery Cryme Japan Mini LP SHM CD New US $35.00 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Peter Gabriel IV (Security) Mini LP CD JAPAN VJCP-68848 NEW / Genesis US $19.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL**SO: 25TH ANNIVERSARY (DELUXE EDITION/REMASTERED)**3 CD SET US $19.95 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Peter Gabriel Plays Live Mini LP CD JAPAN 2CD VJCP-68849/50 NEW / Genesis US $40.00 [4 bids]
Peter Gabriel So Mini LP CD JAPAN 2CD VJCP-68851 NEW / Genesis US $27.00 [7 bids]
PETER GABRIEL Hand Signed LP + PSA DNA COA Q21907 US $280.48 Buy It Now 6h 30m
PYLON Chomp LP 12" Cat. DB-65 Rare R.E.M. Beatles Pink Floyd Peter Gabriel US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 33m
Shaking the Tree, Peter Gabriel CD 1990 Sledgehammer, Big Time, Red Rain, Monkey US $2.99 [0 bids]
Shaking the Tree, Peter Gabriel CD 1990 Sledgehammer, Big Time, Red Rain, Monkey US $1.99 [0 bids]
KATE BUSH Hounds Of Love LP 12" Cat. ST 517171 Psychedelic Beatles Peter Gabriel US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
PETER GABRIEL - 1 PAGE PIN UP ADVERT. GROWING UP LIVE US $3.40 Buy It Now 7h
Genesis Triple Sealed Limited Picture Disc CD in TPAK 1 Box 1990 Peter Gabriel US $129.99 Buy It Now 7h 17m
Peter Gabriel, Scratch My Back LP Test Pressing SS US $41.00 [5 bids]
PETER GABRIEL SO CD US $1.00 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL / PETER GABRIEL III JAPAN CD OOP US $27.99 Buy It Now 7h 41m
PETER GABRIEL: Birdy Soundtrack LP Classic Records 200 gram SEALED US $38.99 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats by Peter Gabriel (CD, Apr-2003, Geffen) US $3.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL Security LP ORIGINAL YELLOW label 1st press !!! US $8.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL Security LP ORIGINAL YELLOW label 1st press NMint- in SHRINK !!! US $11.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL 3 '80 LP ORIGINAL US 1st press GENESIS US $9.99 [0 bids]
Deutsches Album Cd by Peter Gabriel VIRGIN 1987 Import UK Excellent Condition!!! US $69.75 Buy It Now 8h 14m
BOB DYLAN Woodstock 94 OOP CD Joe Cocker CSN Traffic PETER GABRIEL Sheryl Crow US $10.95 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL_Shaking The Tree_used Cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $11.26 Buy It Now 9h 26m
6 Music CD's Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Winger, Matchbox 20, 2 Madonna cd,s US $7.50 [0 bids]
ELTON JOHN Sting BONO BILLY JOEL Peter Gabriel WILLIE NELSON Don Henley CD U2 US $2.95 [0 bids]
Autumn 1977 Tour + Poster & Ticket Stubs Peter Gabriel tour programme UK US $108.51 Buy It Now 10h 3m
PETER GABRIEL "SECURITY" LP NM/EX 1982 GEFFEN GHS 2011 CLEAN US $5.95 Buy It Now 10h 24m
AUSSIE V/A CD~CHINA CRISIS/GENESIS/PETER GABRIEL/OMD/SIMPLE MINDS/PETE WYLIE US $14.02 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL - SOLSBURY HILL - GERMAN 7" PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY - NO RECORD- K@@L US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Genesis Selling England By the Pound '73 LP atlantic sd19277 peter gabriel prog! US $33.00 Buy It Now 11h 23m
PETER GABRIEL Steam ORIGINAL SEALED PROMO CD Card Sleeve 3 tracks remix genesis US $9.95 Buy It Now 11h 41m
PETER GABRIEL - "Big Time" EP 12" 1986 1st US IN SHRINK Dance Mix (3 Tracks) US $22.88 Buy It Now 13h 15m
Peter Gabriel vinyl LP album record Gremlins UK GEF54685 GEFFEN 1984 US $32.41 Buy It Now 13h 18m
Peter Gabriel UK vinyl LP album record CHC39 CHARISMA 1984 US $20.44 Buy It Now 13h 23m
Shaking the Tree: 16 Golden Greats by Peter Gabriel  HITS  Minty CD  New Case US $6.00 Buy It Now 13h 36m
Peter Gabriel - steam cd single US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h
SEALED Classic Records Audiophile 200 Gram PETER GABRIEL 2 LP/OOP/QUIEX SV-P US $99.99 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Genesis The Greatest Japan CD Factory Sealed New Peter Gabriel Phil Collins US $64.99 Buy It Now 14h 42m
Peter Gabriel-Biko 7"UK P/S 1980 US $10.24 Buy It Now 15h 30m
Peter Gabriel-D.I.Y./Perspective 7" Irish P/S 1978 US $13.66 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Peter Gabriel - Real World CD US $4.69 Buy It Now 15h 50m
THE CALL Reconciled ELEKTRA 60440-1 PETER GABRIEL Jim Kerr ROBBIE ROBERTSON 1986 US $10.00 Buy It Now 16h 3m
PETER GABRIEL Big Blue Ball 2xLP BLUE Vinyl NEW/SEALED 45rpm OOP Limited Edition US $44.99 Buy It Now 16h 10m

More places to buy PETER GABRIEL music online Buy PETER GABRIEL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER GABRIEL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back ratings distribution

PETER GABRIEL Scratch my back reviews

Review by poslednijat_colobar
2 stars Peter, don't scratch by back, please!!!

Peter Gabriel released new album, but regretfully it's not new at all! This new album is called Scratch My Back and consists of covered songs made by PG. Some of the original artists are famous, other not, but the idea is not the type, I'm looking for. The songs are unvaried and the album will only catch my attention, until it's new. After that I'll forget it like many others. So it's time for PG to move on with real new album in his typical manner, to go and attend the induction of Genesis into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame or to do Lamb tour with Genesis. I don't need to be fooled with cover album! 2 stars, but without really bad songs.

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#266685) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review by chopper
4 stars Those of you familiar with Gabriel's cover of "Strawberry Fields Forever" or the piano version of "Here Comes the Flood" will have some idea of what this CD sounds like. The concept behind the album is that Gabriel records a variety of songs by other artists and the others record one of his songs in return (hence the title). The other artists' songs have yet to appear, so Gabriel's cover versions are the only ones available at the moment.

The songs vary from classics by well-known artists (such as "Heroes" and "The Boy In the Bubble") to songs by lesser known artists such as Bon Iver. All the songs are recorded without guitars and drums and with orchestral backing. In most cases the songs have been slowed down and are sometimes almost unrecognisable - "Heroes" being one example that is barely recognisable apart from the lyrics.

What is recognisable is the quality of Gabriel's voice and it is this quality that sets this album apart. He has chosen a collection of songs which he can apply his emotive vocals to and the outcome is nothing but a triumph - the version of Elbow's "Mirrorball" is one of the most successful. This is an album to sit down and listen to, I would say a "chillout" album but that implies it may be background music, but it is far worthier than that. Highly recommended for fans of the Gabriel voice.

Note that the special edition 2-CD set includes some remixes, a great version of "Waterloo Sunset" and access to 24-bit downloads of the album next month.

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#267092) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 19, 2010

Review by lazland
4 stars I have listened to Gabriel and admired and loved his work for over 30 years now. So when a new Gabriel album is released, it's a must to get it on the day of release. He is one of the few artists I buy physical CDs for nowadays, rather than MP3 downloads, so off I rushed to the local superstore to get my copy.

I admit freely that I was disappointed to learn that the great man was releasing an album of covers, rather than original material - after all, we have, I think, waited far too long since Up.

I have played it quite a few times until putting keyboard to review, and I am glad I did. First listen, I thought it was shocking, but it has since grown on me enormously. Of course, when you relate so strongly to a particular and unique voice such as Gabriel's as I do, it's difficult not to enjoy.

The interpretations are very much in the mold of the piano/voice versions of Father Son and Here Comes The Flood on the last tours, except these are with the backing of an orchestra.

The album starts off extremely strongly with versions of Bowie's Heroes and Simon's Boy in the Bubble, both very suited to this type of interpretation, and it really does proceed much in this vein throughout. Mirrorball, a song I was not familiar with, is simply stunning - Gabriel does Elbow to incredible effect.

Flume gets the full Gabriel vocal effect and is simply beautiful with the backing of a piano only.

Listening Wind, a Talking Heads track written by Byrne & Eno would, you would have thought, be suited to Gabriel. After all, he has collaborated with Eno and I rather think that he and Byrne are alike in their eccentricity. Somehow, though, the track does not pick up beyond a mere pleasant vocal and light orchestral backing, which is a shame. It's not a dirge, but it's not really that far from one.

On Lou Reed's The Power of the Heart, we are back to piano and voice, and this works far better, with some very understated instrumental backing accompanied by a lovely vocal which cracks, literally, with emotion.

My Body is a Cage is another I was totally unfamiliar with, by Arcade Fire, this is a dark piece played slowly and to effect. There is some pulsating orchestration on this track.

The Book of Love is by The Magnetic Fields, and was another new listen for me. I will definitely be listening to more of their material which, I suppose, was the whole point of this exercise. You can almost see Gabriel smiling and indulging in the love of his music and family when you listen to this track, it really has the most lovely Gabriel vocal, backed by his very capable daughter Melanie, who has been such a revelation on tour with her father. Violins create the mood in harmony with these two remarkable voices.

Randy Newman gets the PG treatment next, with I Think It's Gonna Rain Today. This is another piano & voice lead track, and is pleasant without being exceptional.

Regina Spektor's Apres Moi is next up, and this gets the full brass treatment at the start - isn't it nice to hear proper instruments, rather than pure sampling, a sin which even the great man has been overly guilty of sometimes? This is another delicate interpretation with dark underflowing strings bringing a sense of impending doom to proceedings. Very good, very strong, and very dark.

Neil Young is, by common consent, one of the most important North American artists of the 20th Century, so any interpretation of a great track such as Philadelphia deserves a serious listen. A fulsome and emotional Gabriel vocal is once again backed by some quite exquisite instrumentation. Gabriel has the knack of sounding frail when, in reality, he is really rather strong, and this comes across clearly on this track, and I really love the trumpet/cornet solo backed by the trademark Gabriel chant. This is very reminiscent of some of the work on Ovo, and no poorer for that.

The album closes with Street Spirit, that exceptional Radiohead track which, for me, marked the arrival of one of the greatest British bands of the last 20 years. Because it is an original that is so intense and features some incredible guitar work by Greenwood, I don't find Gabriel's quiet interpretation working for me very well. It's not bad, far from it, but the original can barely be bettered in my opinion.

This is an album which will divide opinion sharply. So, here's a warning from an old Gabriel and prog fan - this is NOT a prog album, and doesn't even pretend to be. It is the work of a supreme songwriter and singer interpreting some of his favourite music in his own unique style. By and large, it works extremely well.

If you enjoyed Ovo, as I did, you will love this. If you enjoy Gabriel's original quieter works, this is the one for you. If you are prepared to step out of the box in your listening, as he has with this work, then you will get a great deal of pleasure out of this work. Most of all, though, this is a GABRIEL album, albeit not with original work, and if you love his work, you will love this.

A pleasantly surprising four stars for this. 2010 has gotten off to a good start for me.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#281702) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars Peter Gabriel is maybe old when talking about age, but not when talking about performance. Cover indeed, but done in quite original way (you won't recognize them anymore). String arrangements and only occasionally adventurous singing (most of the times he's quietly speaking/singing). No other instruments makes this even more difficult (from Rock point of view) to approach, but it's decent album.

3(-), not great, not revolutionary, no breakthroughs here, but good anyway. Even from Prog point of view it's nothing special. Album cover is appalling (really), album name is similarly bad for me (and not so connected to album content at all), but even these are covers, they are different. Still covers, but some good is in them.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#288838) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 01, 2010

Review by Chris S
1 stars Oh dear....Scratch My Back is Gabriels version of cover songs and with the exception of two or maybe three, he manages to totally ruin them. First off he has this tendency to sing in a monotone voice with minimal instrumentation, and some strings ( synthesized strings?). Secondly the monotone dirge and vocal noodling barely changes from one song to the next. It sounds like he is reading to a child but can't wait to get to the end of the chapter so he can close the book and say goodnight! Get me out of here! Whilst some of these artists will be impressed, I am sure others will say thanks but no thanks. The positive spin to this release is that the follow up album " I'll Scratch Yours" will feature the same artists doing Gabriel work. I am sure they will do a much better job.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge Gabriel fan but this offering is largely an insult to most listener's ears. Songs worthy of redemption are the wonderful Bon Iver's " Flume" ( Gabriels best cover) and The Magnetic Fields's " The Book Of Love". In terms of Bowie, Talking Heads, Neil Young, Paul Simon & Elbow etc, do us all a favour and do some real cover songs on the return leg. This is a legitimate one star release and is very poor indeed.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#297172) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 02, 2010

Review by Gatot
2 stars The good thing is that I know nothing at all about all songs listed here before I got this album. So, to me, this album sounded like a new Peter Gabriel album, not a cover. I am a great fan of Peter Gabriel since his tennure with Genesis and also his solo albums. I admired his solo especially when he released his fourth album "Security" whivh I think is an excellent album because he explored his musical boundary to what so called world music, using more percussions in its composition. Peter Gabriel greatest achievement is when he composed 'Signal to Noise' of UP album. I think it's really a brilliant musical composition. It combines great vocal, great string section and great sound effects. Two thumbs up for Peter on that!

The only enjoyable thing about this 'Scratch My Back' album is the vocal quality of Peter Gabriel and the string section through orchestral arrangements. Peter has always been performing very well in his charismatic vocal delivery. Unfortunately the music is so empty and not able to create a compelling nuance like 'Signal to Noise'. Basically there is no magic in the album; everything flows flat, no emotional engagement that binds the music and the listener. It's probably because all songs were not originally created by Peter. It's not a good idea for Peter doing cover version like this.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#367769) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Review by Negoba
2 stars Weak but not Completely Meritless

I first listened to samples of Peter Gabriel's SCRATCH MY BACK last year when it was released, and felt a passionate "meh." The overall concept of trading covers using an orchestral "no drums no guitars" approach was moderately interesting. However, the execution seemed lacking - too slow and ponderous, little new added to the pieces. It really seemed like Gabriel was showing his age. Over the last few weeks I've been listening more frequently in anticipation of seeing the New Blood tour this summer. During that time, I've gained a greater appreciation for the album, which does indeed show some creative glimmers but is still a deeply flawed piece of work.

A pivotal track for me was Paul Simon's "Boy in the Bubble." This song's original leaned heavily on an active, bouncy rhythm - it was all about movement, a feeling of dance. The most active image of movement evoked anywhere on SCRATCH MY BACK would be the slow opening of a flower, or perhaps a dingy army on a slow march. As a big fan of GRACELAND, I was peeved at the arrangement and almost shut the album off after 2 tracks. Now, after about 6-8 listens, I must admit that the completely new approach to that song does shed light into a few new corners. The lyrics open up a bit, the sense of wonder which is a core theme gets to breathe. The original is better, but this is an interesting alternate take. In the end, this is the pattern of the entire album.

Of course, there are high and low moments. "My Body is a Cage" is perhaps the best song. Both the arrangement and Gabriel's performance are more intricate and spooky. Though just as slow and dark as the rest of the album, there is more color to this track. A sense of danger and menace finally emerge, and we're reminded, if only briefly, of the deep talent of the man. On the other hand, "Power of the Heart" is so inane that it would make Shania Twain's ugly junior high school sister blush to perform it. My eyes nearly popped out of my head to learn Lou Reed had penned that drek. Gabriel's arrangement is just as lackluster as the lyrics. Similarly, Gabriel adds nothing to Bon Iver's already downer "Flume."

Some of the songs were unfamiliar to me prior to this album. Elbow's "Mirrorball" boasts interesting lyrics and one of the better uses of the orchestra on the album. Regina Spector's "Apres Moi" and the Talking Heads "Listening Wind" are also solid tracks. Occasionally, it feels like the orchestra is going to really pick up steam, but sadly the pace always dies back down all too quickly. So many times, I yearned for a bit more of PG's signature angst and pathos. We get a few teases but never a true "Rhythm of the Heat" scream. Too often we're instead lulled into sleep.

This album was teetering toward toward 1 star at one point for me, but it's actually sniffing at 3 now. Still, there's virtually nothing prog about this album so it remains at two stars. Especially given how much great material you can get from Gabriel, this is simply un- necessary, unless like me, you own everything the man puts out.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#451861) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars This is dangerously close to being a very bad album, and I really wish somebody had been able to talk some sense into Peter as he put this together. In the midst of sorting through dozens of unfinished songs, Peter decided he would take a break and do an album of covers. The idea behind Scratch My Back was that he would do covers of songs by various artists he liked, and then they in turn would cover songs Peter had done, and there could be two albums, Scratch My Back and I'll Scratch Yours out in stores at the same time. In trying to bring this idea to fruition, though, Peter made a major strategic error: he failed to account for the possibility that maybe, just maybe, not everybody on his list of artists would have the time or inclination to cover a Peter Gabriel song, at this late a date, just because he wanted them to. If he really wanted to make this happen, he should have gotten twelve artists on board with agreements to do HIS songs first, and then pick songs from those who volunteered for the task. While some of the corresponding artists came through (Magnetic Fields did a rousing "Not One of Us," and the Paul Simon cover of "Biko" is quite lovely), half of them didn't, and the whole process made Peter look a little foolish.

Not as foolish as the contents of the album, though. Peter decided to impose a restriction on himself - no guitars of any kind, and no drums - and while this could have led to interesting synth layerings intertwined with orchestral elements, Peter uses orchestration almost the entire time (with a very small amount of piano here and there). So that makes this into an orchestral covers album, which doesn't really seem all that impressive when I remember the pleasant-but-mediocre Justin Hayward solo album, Classic Blue, from 20 years earlier. Of course, there is a significant difference between this album and that one; Peter deconstructs a lot of the material into sombre, dirge-like interpretations of the originals, with the melodies stripped down so far they start to lose their melodic core. The worst offender, and the one that I unfortunately heard first, is the closing "Street Spirit" (originally from Radiohead), where Peter almost enters William Shatner territory. It's AWFUL, and makes a higher grade totally out of the question.

There are, I admit, some tracks where I find myself enjoying things a bit. The opening ""Heroes"," where Peter starts on the, "I, I wish you could swim ..." verse, makes this sound like a promising experience, and the cover of Magnetic Fields' "The Book of Love" turns a moderately silly song into a moderately melancholy song, to surprisingly good effect. The cover of Talking Heads' "Listening Wind" nails the atmosphere of the original dead on despite having (obviously) a totally different arrangement, and ... uh ..."Mirrorball" (by a band called Elbow) sounds pretty. On the other hand, the rest of the album ranges from fairly unremarkable to really tacky (the bombastic parts of "My Body is a Cage" by Arcade Fire, though the softer parts are kinda nice, or all of "Apres moi" by Regina Spektor).

On the whole, pretty much the only consistent positive is that, even when he's doing an ill- conceived project, Peter's voice is still as addictive as ever, and a large part of me feels happy to have one more medium in which to hear him. But even his voice can't save this: this may have been a project Peter totally believed in and poured his heart into, but when I hear this, I think of David St. Hubbins and his desire to record a few of his acoustic songs with the London Symphony Orchestra. After 40 years, Peter finally made a mediocre album.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#776242) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 23, 2012

1 stars Seriously, I'm a fan of Peter Gabriel, but do not throw money. The CD starts with a tremendous great version of "Heroes", but from there do not listen with the lights off because you run the serious risk of sleep. The orchestra sounds without soul, the arrangements are bland and linear, the sel ... (read more)

Report this review (#367563) | Posted by David Saez | Wednesday, December 29, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I agree with previous reviews that the first hearing of this album can be quite difficult, as it gives a first impression that all the items pass a somewhat monotonous rhythms away from the sound that Mr. Gabriel has accustomed us. Since I had the great fortune to enjoy New Blood Tour, my positio ... (read more)

Report this review (#302449) | Posted by el rey carmesí | Wednesday, October 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must say i really love this album. I didn't think much of it when it came out, but as i listen to it more and more, i get a sense of what Peter wants to give us. Much like most of his work, this will be appreciated more and more as time passes. I'll just describe the highlights for me. M ... (read more)

Report this review (#277872) | Posted by juanvalverde | Wednesday, April 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars You would think that 40+ years into his career that Peter Gabriel would have nothing new to say. Given that this, his latest release, is also a set of cover tunes, surely retirement to a sedate country life beacons. These assumptions though, are proven to be very much unjust and just pla ... (read more)

Report this review (#269437) | Posted by Progfan1958 | Wednesday, March 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I've been observing the reaction to this recent output by Peter Gabriel, and I've noticed that it has polarized the critics and fans alike. It seems to be one of those "love it or you hate it" works by old Peter. But when you actually sit back and listen, this is a very in depth piece that sim ... (read more)

Report this review (#269111) | Posted by Degree7 | Sunday, February 28, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars WHAT IS THIS?! I believe it was Tolstoy who said art should make you feel like the creator of it when the art was being created (I think). If this is the case, Peter Gabriel must be getting very old. The dirge like vacant arrangements on this album succeed in making a die hard Progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#267520) | Posted by cemego | Monday, February 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A VERY wonderful album indeed. There is an excellent cover of "Philadelphia" by Neil Young from the "Philadelphia" soundtrack, which Peter contributed to, so if the proposed "response" album, tentatively called "I'll Scratch Yours" does materialize, hopefully Neil will cover "Love Street". I was ... (read more)

Report this review (#264062) | Posted by boe_a | Tuesday, February 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER GABRIEL "Scratch my back"