Peter Gabriel - Scratch my back CD (album) cover

Peter Gabriel

4 stars You would think that 40+ years into his career that Peter Gabriel would have nothing new to say. Given that this, his latest release, is also a set of cover tunes, surely retirement to a sedate country life beacons. These assumptions though, are proven to be very much unjust and just plain wrong. Pete has perhaps put together his most original work since 1982's Security. Accompanying his voice we find mostly strings, with some piano and at times woodwinds and horns. There is such stark beauty in what he has done here, with only a bit of grand drama. Mostly I find a stirring subtle slow reveal, the words and sounds unfolding line by line, tone after tone, phrase by phrase. Almost like breathing . At times Tom Waits comes to mind, but Pete does not inhabit the same sinister junkyard carnival. Instead we get imagery and sounds from inside our imaginations. Whispers, whimpers, cries and groans pulled from lives lived and lost. This is music that takes you inside the writers mind. Instead of simply listening to the sounds and words, you really feel like you are experiencing them. Is it re- invention, or is this re-interpretation ? In a way, it is both. This CD is not an immediate listen, rather it unveils itself to you as the stories unfold. My first impression about this album was certainly far removed from what I think about it now. Put in on again, turn off the lights, and turn up the volume. There is magic if you let it come to you.

Highlights: My Body Is a Cage ( Arcade Fire ) Flume (Bon Iver ) Listening Wind ( Talking Heads ) The Power Of The Heart ( Lou Reed ) Mirrorball ( Elbow )

Progfan1958 | 4/5 |