Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBand Biographies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 21>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 02:56
making a dent now

down to less than 50

actually 43 left I believe

last month it was in the high 70sSmile

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - December 13 2013 at 02:58
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 02:56
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Original list of artists needing bios written

Artists without Bios
BANDS WITHOUT DESCRIPTION

BANDS WITHOUT DESCRIPTION

Braun Band, Chris

Camera

Cellutron & The Invisible

Cosmic Debris

Cucumber Farmer

Day Shift

Dreamworld

Drosselbart

Dschinn

Dull Knife

Electric Mud

Elicoide

Eternidad

Fireclan

Framework

Gash

Golden Avatar

Good Authority

Gravestone

Grits

Gurnemanz

Instant Flight

Ion Quest

Jonathan

Knitting by Twilight

Kreuzweg

Kroko

Kujakuon

Life

Limbus 3 & 4

Lokomotive Kreuzberg

Magma

Mathematicians

Moby Trip

Moore, Steve

Mundi Domini

Neal, Ian

Nu & Apa Neagra

Oryzhein

Panta Rei

Panta Rhei

Pantheon

Paranoise

Pictures

Platitude

Poseidon

Pseu

PTS

Pulse Emitter

Pye Fyte

Radiomobel

Radius

Rainy Season

Ramses

Ritmia

Rockenfield / Speer

Roots Of Echo, The

Rose

Salamander

Sammelsurium

Scarlet Thread

Schizophonia

seesselberg

Silent Exile

Silver Apples

Sombre Reptile

Sonic Debris

South Of No North

Strange Days

Tanned Leather

Thonk

Triangle

Triangulus

Tunefish

Twilight

U I Blue

Udraya

Ulenspiegel

Under The Big Tree

Violence Fog

Working on

Knitting by Twilight
Kreuzweg

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - December 14 2013 at 00:04
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 08:49
having trouble finding ANY sort of bio information on Strange Days.  It doesn't help that it was also a movie and a Doors album!  If anyone can point me to anything that would be great.  Otherwise it's going to be a small bio that says they are incredibly obscure (even though a couple of their members have quite a long credits list since the 1975 album)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 09:06
And you can do something for Kroko with this little lot:

Initial members were Petri Hissa - percussion
Sami Järvinen - percussion
Pentti Dassum - bass

"Founded" by Hissa and Dassum in the summer of 1999 as an exploratory unit . During the following winter Jussi Ylikoski joined on bass (he quit later on). The group's all-instrumetal live performances have left people wondering what hit them.

Influences tend to vary from jam to jam.

In May 2001 the debut album FURIA came out on Verdura Records. It's a raw documentary of the band's live sound, and it's 99% overdub-free: only some feedback noise, some ocarina and some astro-solar percussion was added.

By the end of the year several people from abroad contacted the group, and a foreign tour was in the works. Then Jussi decided to leave the group to concentrate on his main band, Disco Ensemble. The tour was called off and big confusion set in.

In february 2002 Sami Järvinen joined in for second percussion. The second album RABIA was finished and finally released in 20004.

Pentti Dassum was a guitarist with Uhrilampaat, Deep Turtle, Transkaakko (between 1996-2007) and also plays guitar and mandolin with Astro Can Caravan, vocals, guitar, bass & percussion with Smokefish as well as bass and slide guitar with Cosmo Jones Beat Machine. He also plays in the bands Doroga and Umpio.
Jussi Ylikoski left Kroko to become guitarist with Disco Ensemble.

For a description (and samples) of the music itself go to: http://tenzenmen.bandcamp.com/album/rabia, where the following was copied from:

Like most bands hailing from Finland Kroko find themselves well at home within the realms of absurd musical integrities. Their sound falls somewhere within the boundaries of, noise, improv Jazz, ambience and a skronky style Avant-garde. Just imagine the crazed intensity of Ruins crossed with improvised realms of Jazzy avant-ambience, only to be dowsed by the dark and brooding experimental side of Univers Zero. Most of the tracks include on this album have been taken from live performances then mixed with all sorts of mixing effects, constituting to the wide array of unexplainable noise. This was a smart move by such a band, giving a more insightful outlook on what the bands is about, demonstrating the not only the harsh face but also giving infinite freedom to the improv nature of the band.

The main compound of Kroko is loosely based around the defining skeletal structure of the manic drum section; fronting the impressive performance of Petri Hissa. These scattered but strangely coherent rhythms hold the album together beautifully enabling the careless flow from one passage to the next. At the forefront of the Duo's sound we are constantly startled by Pentti Dassum's violent out bursts, then gliding soothingly into Jazzy textures. Shear intensity floods through our veins through short more Ruins orientated passages, while we are soothed by the beautifully almost deconstructed longer compositions infested with squeaking, scraping, whaling feedback creating beautiful Ambient-jazz soundscapes.

That ought to do... Tongue
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 09:27
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

having trouble finding ANY sort of bio information on Strange Days.  It doesn't help that it was also a movie and a Doors album!  If anyone can point me to anything that would be great.  Otherwise it's going to be a small bio that says they are incredibly obscure (even though a couple of their members have quite a long credits list since the 1975 album)

Strange Days was a British rock band led by songwriter, lead singer and guitarist Graham Ward. The other band members on their album “9 Parts to the Wind” were Phil Walman - bass guitar/ vocals. Eddy Spence - keyboards and Eddie McNeil drums.

9 Parts to the Wind was released in 1975 on the Retreat Records label.
All titles were written by Graham Ward Arranged by Strange Days
Recorded at the Music Centre, Wembley, London
Produced by Derek Lawrence and Big Jim Sullivan and published by Carlin/Tone Music.

The sole album of this great, but underrated British progressive band was released in 1975 on small Retreat Records (owned by noted producer Derek Lawrence and excellent guitarist Big Jim Sullivan). This powerful but still unknown album LP was mostly inspired by early Genesis records, but some Yes and Camel influences were also palpable. The quartet offered varied, imaginative and beautifully-arranged songs (usually lasted between 7 and 10 minutes) with excellent and quite heavy guitar parts, inventive and truly amazing keyboards phrases, very complex and busy drumming and fine vocals.

Not much...but it ought to do.  Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 10:36
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Strange Days was a British rock band led by songwriter, lead singer and guitarist Graham Ward. The other band members on their album “9 Parts to the Wind” were Phil Walman - bass guitar/ vocals. Eddy Spence - keyboards and Eddie McNeil drums.

9 Parts to the Wind was released in 1975 on the Retreat Records label.
All titles were written by Graham Ward Arranged by Strange Days
Recorded at the Music Centre, Wembley, London
Produced by Derek Lawrence and Big Jim Sullivan and published by Carlin/Tone Music.

The sole album of this great, but underrated British progressive band was released in 1975 on small Retreat Records (owned by noted producer Derek Lawrence and excellent guitarist Big Jim Sullivan). This powerful but still unknown album LP was mostly inspired by early Genesis records, but some Yes and Camel influences were also palpable. The quartet offered varied, imaginative and beautifully-arranged songs (usually lasted between 7 and 10 minutes) with excellent and quite heavy guitar parts, inventive and truly amazing keyboards phrases, very complex and busy drumming and fine vocals.

Not much...but it ought to do.  Smile

Thanks Yam Yam.  Those are the ones I found but they are much more about the album than the band. ie-we don't even k now where in Britain they are from.  But it will have to do.
Thanks!

Ken
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 14:11
I wonder if Doug can help us out with this?

"I have some information about the UK prog band Strange Days that i wanted to share with fellow PA members.
I recently received a very nice e-mail from former keyboardist for the band Eddy Spence, who now plays keyboards for The Glitter Band.
Strange Days were quite popular for a very short time in the mid-seventies in the universities in Britain and The Netherlands.
Eddy Spence is still in touch with band members Phil Walman and Graham Ward, but they lost touch with drummer Eddie McNeil a long time ago.
Just before they became famous, The Sex Pistols supported Strange Days at the 100 Club in London! Talk about different types of music.
Mr. Spence considers Strange Days to have been one of the highlights of his long musical career."

EDDY SPENCE - Keyboards & vocals

Technically Eddy Spence is the second longest serving member of The Glitter Band. Having worked with The Leader in the 70s Eddy went on to tour with Pete, Gerry, and John right through until 1987. Having worked with an incredible array of artistes including Gordon Giltrap, Eddy has returned to the band in 2008 where his amazing keyboard skills take a starring role in The Glitter Band of today.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 14:20
Life should be a bit easier to do -  there seems to be a perfectly usable (with some editing) bio in this review of their solitary album by hdfisch: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=87584.

"The story of this singular album began in Munich in spring (!) 1971 when composer, artist, songwriter and producer Julius Schittenhelm (worked also for Embryo, Guru Guru, Amon Düül 1, Annexus Quam and Floh de Cologne) got a visit by Christian Burchard slobbering over a band of American Germans called "The Wedge" that intended to do a record in Germany. When Schittenhelm met them unfortunately the original trio just consisted of the drummer/lead singer "Linus" and lead guitarist "Jason" since the bass player had disappeared back to USA already. Linus exchanged drums with rhythm guitar and soon after two local guys had been found for drumming (Marcel Mohr) and for bass (Gernot Plitz) and the band LIFE was born. Under quite amateurish conditions they recorded the songs for their debut. The band gave a couple of concerts after and recorded a few more songs for a planned second album which finally found some place on this CD re-release presented here (tracks 12-14). In 1972 they disbanded during a tour through Italy and the musicians vanished in the haze."

Edit: This more detailed account comes from the liner notes from the CD reissue: http://www.discogs.com/Life-Spring/release/2293571.

"The story of Life and their only album 'spring' began sometime early 1971 after Christian Burchard from Embryo visited composer, musician, producer, sound engineer and artist Julius Schittenhelm in his Munich studio. In his forthcoming autobiography Julius Schittenhelm writes about the beginning of Life, the difficulties of the LP production and the abrupt end of the band.

'Once again Christian Burchard came to my studio romancing about an American Trio called 'The Wedge' that wanted to make a record in Germany. When I met them they were only a duo - the bass player had gone back to America. The band leader, originally the drummer and lead singer, was called Linus, he spoke German with a strange Frankfurt accent was now a rhythm guitar player. He was of average build like myself, had a scarred face, large nose and a tough look. The second man was called Jason and was half Red Indian. He played lead guitar, sang backing and sometimes lead vocals. They soon found a drummer, Marcel Mohr, and a bassist, Gernot Pilz who both came from the Munich area. Gernot was also a press photographer.

An opera singing couple from the Munich suburb of Schwabing had set up a studio and practice rooms in their cellar in Martiusstrasse which they rented out at affordable prices. This is where the band practiced. The music was Rock 'n' Roll with slight Country influences, not exactly my sort of music but fashionable and on the up.

Most of the songs were written by Linus, three were from Jason and one from Gernot. Linus was a perfectionist and thus the band needed a few months for the precision he found was required for a record production.

At the beginning of July the Rock 'n' Roll musicians were in perfect harmony with each other so we could start recording. This took place in two of the Martiusstrasse practice rooms. I used 2 Revox machines switched on simultaneously to record four channels at once.

An electrician I met by chance built me a circuit board with which I could synchronise the Revoxes using a remote control. Until then I had been operating the two machines using two fingers and for the third one I needed help with some 'one-two-threes' and was happy when it worked. The third machine was for the mix.
It took a whole hot summer month until all the tracks were in the can.

After all the tapes were carefully numbered and catalogued we started mixing and at the end of July the master tape was finally finished. Linus, who had a way with words, started dealing with CBS. To look good we rented a big Mercedes. Bandleader Linus and myself as Producer, Sound Engineer and Chauffeur drove to Hamburg.

Once we got to CBS we didn't have to wait long and played the demo tape straight away. The manager responsible for Rock 'n' Roll seemed to like it and also Linus. Anyway a contract was signed, luckily without me. There was a substantial advance and from this I was paid for my work. The band was named 'Life' and the LP 'spring' was released. An extensive promo tour followed. I have no idea how many or even if any records were sold. Mohr had done his work and left.

Through the summer we had further recording sessions for the second LP. On New Year's Eve 1971/72 the CBS manager drove under a lorry and was killed. His successor didn't like the music or the band and stopped the project. In February 1972 the band broke up during an Italian tour. There must have been some pretty hefty arguments going on as they arrived back separately. Linus packed up his stuff and apparently disappeared to Sweden. The first I heard from him since then was in June 2002 when we were planning this CD. He is still a musician and he told me that Jason was living in the States'.

During the research into this album Julius Schittenhelm discovered tapes, believed lost, that he produced with the other recordings in the Munich cellar. From these recordings we have chosen 3 as bonus tracks for this CD and the others will appear on future releases."

by Manfred Steinheuer.

Edited by yam yam - December 13 2013 at 14:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 23:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 00:00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 00:39
Kroko done

and listening to these nutters here

have to write a review on this - its off its tree!!! 
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 01:52

Kroko done

and listening to these nutters here

have to write a review on this - its off its tree!!! 
nice job there!Clap...let me just say that, as I've written a few posts back, Kreuzweg were around since the mid-70's, according to the most reliable book of German Kraut/Prog, ''The crack in the cosmic egg''.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 07:46
And so we move on to Magma (once Life is finished...! Tongue).

You should be able to concoct something from these two pages:

"As the story goes, this German duo was unaware of a French band with the same name, and they certainly bear no stylistic resemblance to their more widely known and prolific namesake. Drummer Siegfried Scholz and keyboardist Detlef Gehrke originally played with a guitarist, but when he left, they continued as a duo, with Gehrke covering the low end on synthesizer and electric piano. Stylistically they range from fairly standard rock (albeit without guitar) to adapted Classical pieces, and the sound is generally quite uncluttered, as Gehrke did not indulge in many overdubs in the studio. Of course, “uncluttered” is only a short step away from “thin” when it comes to arrangements, and there are certainly times when a little clutter might have been welcome. The descriptively titled “6 Minutes Release Rock” is a case in point: for its first half, a simple two-chord pattern on organ backs up a synthesizer solo while the drums keep a steady beat, and a bass part might have rescued it from tediousness; the drum solo that makes most of the rest of the tune does not display any more than average competence. On the whole, it’s a bit amateurish, but has some nice parts here and there. Both of the musicians sing in serviceable English, with Scholz apparently mostly leading. This reissue was taken from a mint vinyl LP, as the master tapes have been lost; the sound quality is fairly good, and the five bonus tracks make for a good package."

And more particularly this:

"Magma were a rock duo from Gelsenkirchen. They were playing only on organ and drums like Hardin & York or Hansson & Karlsson. They shouldn’t be confounded with the French band of the same name. Their only LP which turned up very late with collectors was released in 1975 (Elrec 1026). On CD you can find five bonus tracks, all of them never released before. The four first ones had been performed live, the last one was recorded at the studio. Magma, having a lot of gigs, were a very prolific band. At their best they performed up to 15 times a month, very often in the Netherlands, too. They are known as well for their constancy. During their existence, from 1973 until 1978 there was no change in line-up. Performing in two they were at their best. The end of Magma came when Detlef Gehrke decided to quit because of his need for more time on his own."

Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 08:58

I wonder if Doug can help us out with this?

"I have some information about the UK prog band Strange Days that i wanted to share with fellow PA members.
I recently received a very nice e-mail from former keyboardist for the band Eddy Spence, who now plays keyboards for The Glitter Band.
Strange Days were quite popular for a very short time in the mid-seventies in the universities in Britain and The Netherlands.
Eddy Spence is still in touch with band members Phil Walman and Graham Ward, but they lost touch with drummer Eddie McNeil a long time ago.
Just before they became famous, The Sex Pistols supported Strange Days at the 100 Club in London! Talk about different types of music.
Mr. Spence considers Strange Days to have been one of the highlights of his long musical career."

EDDY SPENCE - Keyboards & vocals

Technically Eddy Spence is the second longest serving member of The Glitter Band. Having worked with The Leader in the 70s Eddy went on to tour with Pete, Gerry, and John right through until 1987. Having worked with an incredible array of artistes including Gordon Giltrap, Eddy has returned to the band in 2008 where his amazing keyboard skills take a starring role in The Glitter Band of today.

nice!  I'm on it
I wonder if Doug would consider an interview with Mr Spence

Edited by kenethlevine - December 14 2013 at 09:51
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 10:46
^  Good work, Ken! Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 11:41

^  Good work, Ken! Thumbs Up

thanks for your help!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 12:06
No problem at all Ken. Great that there now several S.C.s joining in here and converting my jumbled up bits of info into coherent biographies for these artists.  Embarrassed  Between us we can wipe all these incomplete entries out once and for all! Thumbs Up

Mathematicians will be a doddle: Here's an interview that toroddfuglesteg did with drummer Kevin Kouts back in May 2011: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78656.

Everything we need is contained within!  Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 12:42
I can take on ROSE if nobody has done so yet
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 13:30
Rose bio looks pretty bleak to me at the moment, so yeah - go for it! Thumbs Up