Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Neo Disconnect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 15:51
I know this Jody, I've just not heard these new neo-prog bands yet, but I shall do.  The 80s keyboard sound doesn't seem so prevalent anymore, so I'm always willing to give them a try.  By the way, I think White Willow are sometimes neo-prog (but they're not a neo-prog band, just some compositions sound like that to my ears), yet I have no problems with their sound.

I will most likely prefer Strangefish and Ezra Winston.

I don't like Frost* though, from what I've heard.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 15:59
Originally posted by Mategra Mategra wrote:

Marillion is perhaps the only so-called Neo-prog band I am able to enjoy (except "Season's End"). Another enjoyable British 80s band is of course It Bites, but they are generally not labelled as "Neo" (even if they could be).

But bands like IQ, Cyan, Pendragon, Arena, Jadis, Pallas, Clepsydra and Collage really don't do very much for me.

The keyboards are not a major problem, especially not the instruments in themselves (the way they are played is often a problem though). My major problem with Neo (IQ type), which makes it so uninteresting, is rather the lack of virtually all the good ingredients of Real prog.

...which just means that you've never heard Tales From The Lush Attic or IQ's last album Dark Matter.I just so love it when people are so sure they know what real prog is all aboutAngry
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 15:59
I am 42 going on 43 (and if you want to kill me now you're my age or even older). That means that my roots are 70's prog and I am suspected as "stuck in the past", "narrow minded" and now also "closed emotional" (is that the term was used ?).
Now, I do'nt know any NEO except Discipline's "Unfolded like staircase" which is IMO a masterpiece but sounds symphonic to me (and at least Gecko said the same) so I have nothing to say on the subject from my knowledge, yet I have few comments :
1. I do'nt believe any sub-genre is so narrow you can say frases like "cheasy keyboards" or "most emotional" . In any sub-genre there are more and less of many things. So I guess saying I do'nt like the whole sub-genre means I did not hear enough of it (and in NEO this is my case so I'm not blaming anyone).
2. As someone allready said earlier, we classify to make it easy to us to understand but then we take this artificial description very seriously, forgetting it's only aim was to help us to get to know it. This is when we start to say rubbish. From my point of view (and I said it quite a lot in the past few months) this sub-genring went way too far and now it disturbs us more than help us.
3. As much as I do'nt agree to Gecko's generalizations, if you  disregard the quality of VDGG or Robert Wyatt then I'll take my sword and come fighting side by side with him !
omri
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 16:07
Hahaha, thanks Omri!

I'm actually listened to the Eyestrings sample here on PA and I like it.  I tried Darwin's Radio, Clepsydra and Carptree (Superhero was pure bilge to my ears!) and didn't care for them.  Partly the keyboards, partly the vocals and the guitar sound.

However, Eyestrings (listening to one track anyhow), doesn't have any of those elements, so I actually like this track.  Good stuff!

Well Omri, I also like Discipline, but as you say, I don't think it's Neo either...

I have made generalizations, but I know some neo-prog isn't like other neo-prog and it's this neo-prog I want to hear.  Eyestrings sound good to my ears, so something like that would be nice!

Frost* I just cannot get on with at all by the way.

Now listening to Gazpacho and that's not to bad either.

Oh and yes, if anyone doesn't recognise the quality in VdGG (and Hammill's voice - you don't have to like it, but surely you can recognise talent?) and Robert Wyatt, then myself and Omri will team up.

Edited by Geck0 - October 09 2006 at 16:08
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 19:28
I have to say I enjoy some neo prog, even though I am from the 'older' generation who loved(s) the classic bands, Genesis, Yes & Floyd. Not all neo by the way, but certainly Pendragon, some Marillion and Collage/Satellite.
Ok, it is a little different, but it is also similar in some ways to the older bands, and I don't care much for labelling, as long as I enjoy the music!Smile
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 19:36
Personally, I think we get too hung up on genres. I have a feeling that some people won't give neo, prog metal, krautrock, etc. a chance simply because of it's label. To me, it's music. I don't care for prog metal, but really enjoy Dream Theater and Riverside. It's like we're all thinking too much. Just enjoy what you like.

E
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 19:56
Well put E-Dub! Words to live by...
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:11
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Hahaha, thanks Omri!

I'm actually listened to the Eyestrings sample here on PA and I like it.  I tried Darwin's Radio, Clepsydra and Carptree (Superhero was pure bilge to my ears!) and didn't care for them.  Partly the keyboards, partly the vocals and the guitar sound.

However, Eyestrings (listening to one track anyhow), doesn't have any of those elements, so I actually like this track.  Good stuff!

Well Omri, I also like Discipline, but as you say, I don't think it's Neo either...

I have made generalizations, but I know some neo-prog isn't like other neo-prog and it's this neo-prog I want to hear.  Eyestrings sound good to my ears, so something like that would be nice!

Frost* I just cannot get on with at all by the way.

Now listening to Gazpacho and that's not to bad either.

Oh and yes, if anyone doesn't recognise the quality in VdGG (and Hammill's voice - you don't have to like it, but surely you can recognise talent?) and Robert Wyatt, then myself and Omri will team up.

ah! man! there are so many things to discover in the neo prog style! I've just reviewed lil' BoBBY's rock bottom! a GOOD record, but I think he is overrated! better than hammill though, because he makes me laugh with his antic vocals!
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:17
Not of this World has some of the most rediculous keyboard work I've ever heard, though. Clive Nolan must've been going through a phase or soemthing....Confused
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:20
<<Not of this World has some of the most rediculous keyboard work I've ever heard, though. Clive Nolan must've been going through a phase or soemthing....>>

I should give that a closer listen next time. That's probably my favorite Pendragon disc, besides Masquerade Overture.

Got their new DVD and it's pretty awesome. I thought Live At Last was a bit too perfect and I question it's authenticity. There are parts where Barrett will have a hand or two in the air, but the guitar is still playing. This, however, is completely live.

E

Edited by E-Dub - October 09 2006 at 20:21
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Well put E-Dub! Words to live by...

Thanks, Atavachron. I'm actually enjoying the discovery of new music...and this site has REALLY helped me out in that respect.

E

Edited by E-Dub - October 09 2006 at 20:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:24
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

<<Not of this World has some of the most rediculous keyboard work I've ever heard, though. Clive Nolan must've been going through a phase or soemthing....>>

I should give that a closer listen next time. That's probably my favorite Pendragon disc, besides Masquerade Overture.

E

I was just listening to it in the car a few hours ago (it's not good driving music, by the way Tongue). The melodies are great, some of the best in Pendragon's career, but everything is just too much. In my review, I said the biggest downfall in the album is that it tried to do EVERYTHING. I bet there are at least 8 layers in each song, with the keyboards taking up 3 or so. Go for minimalism or the middle ground, but so many layers is the equivalent of being hit with a brick. Embarrassed
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:28
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

<<Not of this World has some of the most rediculous keyboard work I've ever heard, though. Clive Nolan must've been going through a phase or soemthing....>> I should give that a closer listen next time. That's probably my favorite Pendragon disc, besides Masquerade Overture. E

I was just listening to it in the car a few hours ago (it's not good driving music, by the way [IMG]height=17 alt=Tongue src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>). The melodies are great, some of the best in Pendragon's career, but everything is just too much. In my review, I said the biggest downfall in the album is that it tried to do EVERYTHING. I bet there are at least 8 layers in each song, with the keyboards taking up 3 or so. Go for minimalism or the middle ground, but so many layers is the equivalent of being hit with a brick. [IMG]height=17 alt=Embarrassed src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

The car is where I do my main listening, and the last time I played it (a few weeks ago) I thoroughly enjoyed it. In all actuality, Pendragon's music is what I enjoy the most. Barrett's vocals can be a bit grating at times, but the man is a very good guitarist.

I'm sure you and I are hearing different things. Not saying you're wrong by any stretch of the imagination. I may like the over-the-top keys more than you. It's all a matter of taste.

E

Edited by E-Dub - October 09 2006 at 20:28
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:30
Oh, and I may have learned the title of the new Marillion album. It was leaked acidentally.

E
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:30
I don't know. I like everything else by Pendragon (don't know about Kowtow, though). I think my favorite would have to be either Believe or The Masquerade Overture. The Wishing Well is probably my favorite Pendragon song. Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:31

Oh, and I may have learned the title of the new Marillion album. It was leaked acidentally.

E

What is it?!Big smile
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:34

E

What is it?!Big smile

YEAH YEAH YEAH!Tongue
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:59
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

E

What is it?!Big smile

YEAH YEAH YEAH!Tongue

Please, Please TELL US! Big smile Wink

Actually, I'm getting a bit fed-up with the neo-bashing going on here sometimes. Neo is one of the most divers genres here on PA. It varies between (sometimes cheesy) symphonic type music and highly original. One thing it has in common mi is that it's always very melodic, and to me that's a good quality. At this moment I'm listening to Quidam, and before that to Satellite. Both highly original and beautiful. I love neo!
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:59

I don't know. I like everything else by Pendragon (don't know about Kowtow, though). I think my favorite would have to be either Believe or The Masquerade Overture. The Wishing Well is probably my favorite Pendragon song. Cool

my favorite one is jewel: it  is a jewell!
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 21:09
Teardrop is the title I've heard.

E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>