Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:17
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Ok, unrelated, I've got to share.

So I'm walking my daughter home after picking her up at her mothers over the weekend and I've got to get her ready for a birthday party.  I said, 'ok, when we get home, I need you to go upstairs and get in the shower'.  My seven year old promptly answered, 'But Daddy, it's a pirate themed party, pirates don't take showers'.

I couldn't argue the logic.

Smart girl.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:24
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Full Flying Colors album is online now for streaming. I haven't listened to it all yet but the first track is most definately PROG

I guess I should check this out.  The first album generated zero interest from me after 2 or 3 listens (on progstreaming.com...........never purchased it, so it's not in my collection to reassess).

listening now.  not too bad.  already better than the last TA, at least instrumentally.  also listened to the snippet of the new Kaipa on their site.  production is incredible.  drums sound great.  still can't stand the singers.  also, not really interested in the new TA live set.  

Edit-new Flying Colors is really good!

Well, I listened to the whole thing on progstreaming................I guess "really good" is a relative term Wink

Don't really care for it at all, though the first track seemed really good and had me thinking I might like this more than the last one (which I never picked up after hearing it twice) . After that first track though, I found myself bored and certainly not inspired to listen again.  Frankly, I can't tell much, if any difference, between this one and the last one.

They are all great players, and it is fun to hear some of what they do.........but everything is just so slick and stream lined, I just find it all quite boring to be honest.

I really wish they would have just done a full on Dixie Dregs style fusion album with some Neal Morse patented prog formula thrown in.......I would have enjoyed that much more even if it wasn't any different from what they've all done before.  Honestly, I don't find any of it to be all that different from what other bands have done before them, and I feel like they are all holding back from doing something really kick ass in order to be more "accessible".

Anyway, it's certainly not bad, just not anything that raises my interest beyond being impressed with the musicianship (and even at that, I think they are being way too conservative for such a potentially killer line up).

Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crumple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 16:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

King Crimson was fantastic. [snip]. But the best part f the show was Starless. I had chills down my back multiple times during that song, Mel Collins just destroyed it. I couldn't believe it. I hope this band records a new album, with new music, but hopefully this tour gets at least one official release.

The crowd was great too, when it got quiet in the music, the audience was dead silent. It was like attending a classical performance.

Totally agree.  Starless was amazing.  

On a deeper level I was pondering the lyrics.  I know "bible black" is a UK term for the blackest of black.  And obviously starless connotes blackness as well.  As this is the point of the song...what depression feels like when the person looks inside...very black.

It works also on a deeper level for true hopelessness.  Spiritually, some look to the bible for enlightenment and believe in God as creator, some look to the stars and believe in a beauty of being residue of dying stars and taking comfort in that.

In Starless the protagonist has neither.  He sees no stars inside himself and the bible is black to him and useless.

Truly without hope.  Very sad.  I hope it isn't autobiographical!

Finally, to bring it back to Flower Kings, I like how Roine riffs off it to get "stardust we are; close to divine".  My take on that is that he can find hope somewhere...he may not fully ascribe to either origin view but he's still searching, open to options, and ultimately hopeful.  I wonder if he had Starless in mind when he wrote that?

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 18:00
I am Back In The World Of Adventures...Man I love this album.  Haven't given it a spin for quite some time but it still sends tingles down the spine (to quote darkshade).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 06:57
well I`ve been unable to find the time to listen to TFK, for no other reason than no time to. till today its the 2cd TRBH which as a great cover of the Genesis Cinema Show. for the ride to and from work till be
disc 1 FP, tea break BITWOA. now that's a fab why to get through the day, just add TFK yes. I`ve also been listening to The Tangent, SB and TA too! I`d say so... I`ve wondered if you where to set a day play list which albums would there be on the list. so from these bands would you have on your list.

TFK
SB
TA
Genesis
Yes
Marillion
the Tangent

hoping to see a few list    ok...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 04:15
Back off my Jollies! Went to see Genesis Tribute band playing "The Lamb" at Holmfirth Picturedrome - I don't think they are as good as "The Musical Box" and "Re-Genesis" but enjoyable nostalgia non the less.
On my holidays in Tenerife sat in the colonial Bar - with my wife & friends - just 10 feet away from Brian May and Rick Wakeman! Apparently playing a gig on the island the following night and were invited as guests of the owner to dine there on the Thursday night.
My mate got his photograph with Brian and Rick (and he didn't even know who Wakeman was) - so he could put it on Facebook - Yawn. Needless to say I wasn't going to have my photo with them unless they came over and asked nicely
TTFN.

Edited by M27Barney - October 04 2014 at 04:18
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 05:24
welcome back M27Barney, what you up to next its happiness for 27/11 the birthday off work loads of PROG!. but than as its Christmas shopping

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 09:21
with the growth of progressive rock music in todays music scene... within the influx of the newer youthful, musical magical pure pleasure of over welling hair standing music. add the old guard of the classic prog rock bands. you`ll be within the greatest space of your listening lifetime. by this I mean the other forms of music just are background music at say a bbq Ect... sorry if I`m talking gibberish to you. but I`ve found the music which died alone isn't getting the push to the masses its still a joke music format to others. where seen as (for give the pun) CLOWNS... spotty, glasses upper arm full of concept albums. b******s where from all walks of live... right its the same old same within the music of my life...

Music Is Live

<
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 03:07
Hi guys, it's been a while.  I too have been on my holidays, a few days spent seeing both rims of the Grand Canyon (truly breathtaking), a few days in Utah (also spectacular) and then a week in Vegas!

Since returning I've been on a bit of a PT kick, first time in a long while.  Yesterday Voyage 34 and this morning Staircase Infinities which is totally stellar, particularly Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape my favourite PT track.  

Unlike normally, I'll also comment on something TFK related Shocked.  I just love the Tomas Bodin solo album Pinup Guru.  If you haven't heard this one, it's a mighty prog trio (Tomas, Jonas and Zoltan) and totally instrumental.  It's like listening to a slightly weirder version of TFK.  Great melodies and sumptuous TFK-style chord progressions but a little different as you'd expect with Tomas.  Totally recommended and even though I like all his solo albums this is my favourite.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 09:35
for you having a great holiday, I`m also a PT fan the albums you name are fab. I dig his last two solo albums to. Steve is a prog icon... well I`m still seeking ways to listen to more music within the limited time frame I`ve gotten, but still haven`t gotten there. the DR album is now a firmly on the play list of must be played. its not a first time winner... isn't it the way of things to seek out the newer bands when the bands are playing live shows there are a few people there sadly...     

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 16:23

Here is me looking at my phone with Wakeman and Brian May in the background....Tenerife - Colonial Bar
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 03:14
^ The bar looks a bit posh Rob, not the spit and sawdust type you usually frequent Wink.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 03:20
So, it's IQ at the Bury Met tomorrow night Smile.

Rob and I will be in attendance upholding the good name of the TFK Appreciation Thread.  It will be nice to see the band again, first time for several years for me.  I'm still not 100% on the new album.  The opener and closer are great and Ocean is a good song but I have an ambivalent attitude to the title track.  The epic is good in parts but borrows very heavily from Last Human Gateway and is imho very much inferior to the earlier epic.  The bonus disc of TROB is mostly great, especially Constellations which I reckon is in my top 3 all-time IQ tracks.  How the hell did that not make the main disc? Wacko Apparently they will be playing the whole of the main album.  Chances of anything being played off the bonus disc?  Slim or none.  Slim just left town.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 00:34
I`ve been totally DeadConfused of lately as there hasn't been any topics to add the grey cell moving again... LOL 
so I`ve been limiting myself to the forum in hope I`ll or someone will coming to the aid of fellow thinkers  needing HELP... I`ve been playing more TA the new album for me is amazing, still don't now if I`ll buy the lice album or not... how was the IQ shows Roj/M27Braney...

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:22
StarLOL I`m so up on life now as I`ve gotten the highest fill of The Flower Kings music, was so up the scale of the music taking geekfreak into pure self inner happiness within my mind, so there are the albums are always ready to play... ready to start the wonderous musical magical music RIDE...  

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 13:14
just playing FP cool the cd`s chilling me out yes...

Music Is Live

<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 10:56
Holy smokes, I can post from Chrome now, this is a major improvement.  I'm pretty psyched.

Anyways . . . what do you all think of the new Opeth album?  I keep listening to it and the musicianship is great, there aren't any growls for me to use as an excuse, but the album just doesn't make me jump up and down for joy.  There are only very few parts that seem to stick with me.  Is this one of their better albums or a run of the mill one?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 12:44
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Here is me looking at my phone with Wakeman and Brian May in the background....Tenerife - Colonial Bar

Wakeman, May and two women there - and you're looking at your phone? ConfusedLOL
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 13:39
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Wakeman, May and two women there - and you're looking at your phone? ConfusedLOL
Well seeing as the nearest to me is my wife and probably has my spunk dribbling out of her fanny into her knickers at that very moment....and the t'other is my best mates wife......Wink
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 13:43
well you`ll possible be the only one whom didn't get the joke as its M27Barney LOL... No I`m totally unsure. as the women maybe family maybe... well back to TFK as that's what the thread is a about isn't it today I`ve been listening to PH, BITWOA and TRM. classic PROG!... well I`ve gotten to choice a cd for the break tonight I`m in to minds weather to take Yes CTTE or Genesis TLLDOB, so I`ve gotten to unConfused myself which way to go... there both classic progressive rock albums but I`ve gotten still to unConfused the Yes/Genesis question ooh crap arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!, pooh who... DeadConfused I`ll have to tell you tomorrow. is there any part of the neo-progressive that's well shouldn't be called neo, I`ve one or two I`d be hard pushed to call them neo-progressive myself...    

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 486>