Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169170 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Devil's Playground took a little longer to click than The Truth Will Set You Free...,
partially because I almost always listen to UtF straight through, as I
do with all the TFK albums. Being a 2 1/2 hour long album, by the time
DP came on, I was kind of waiting for the album to end (and then of course there was still 10 minutes afterwards (@ MattGuitat - I hope you bought the special edition with the bonus track at the end!)).

Well, the other day, I decided to listen to the last 3 songs of the album (Solitary Shell - Devil's Playground - Too late for Tomatos) which is still like 40 minutes of music Cool

Solitary Shell gave me shivers when I did the album run a few days
earlier, so I thought I'd start there, and after that came Devil's
Playground. It was the most fun I had listening to one of their epics in
a while, as I'm still going through all their albums. The epic song is
really one of their best, and a great closer to the album, while Too
Late For Tomatos is a great "epilogue" if you will. DP is pretty heavy
for the band, reminded me of Karmakanic, but also gets jazzy like The
Tangent, (another band Ive been listening to extensively) so it was
quite a great time listening to it.

This makes me want to listen to UtF, but I know I still have to go back
to The Rainmaker as I'm still not familiar enough with that album.

I'm not sure if i got the special edition as i got it from LaserCD. I hope i did cause I love hearing bands improv.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 12:13
Originally posted by MattGuitat MattGuitat wrote:

Devil's Playground took a little longer to click than The Truth Will Set You Free...,
partially because I almost always listen to UtF straight through, as I
do with all the TFK albums. Being a 2 1/2 hour long album, by the time
DP came on, I was kind of waiting for the album to end (and then of course there was still 10 minutes afterwards (@ MattGuitat - I hope you bought the special edition with the bonus track at the end!)).

Well, the other day, I decided to listen to the last 3 songs of the album (Solitary Shell - Devil's Playground - Too late for Tomatos) which is still like 40 minutes of music Cool

Solitary Shell gave me shivers when I did the album run a few days
earlier, so I thought I'd start there, and after that came Devil's
Playground. It was the most fun I had listening to one of their epics in
a while, as I'm still going through all their albums. The epic song is
really one of their best, and a great closer to the album, while Too
Late For Tomatos is a great "epilogue" if you will. DP is pretty heavy
for the band, reminded me of Karmakanic, but also gets jazzy like The
Tangent, (another band Ive been listening to extensively) so it was
quite a great time listening to it.

This makes me want to listen to UtF, but I know I still have to go back
to The Rainmaker as I'm still not familiar enough with that album.

I'm not sure if i got the special edition as i got it from LaserCD. I hope i did cause I love hearing bands improv.

Looking at the album on the site, I'm not sure either, as there's no track listing. I assume you did, because every copy Ive seen of it has the bonus track. That track is improv, and there's 3 other ones on the album, but that one is the most crazy, and gets jazzier than anything else on the album.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 20:09
i still have to get UtF.  i'm waiting till i really have the energy to really dig in.  i'm sure it's a grower.  i have heard Truth.  very good.

been listening to A+E voraciously!  the two epics are pretty great.  they didn't nail me on the first view listens a few years ago.  now i'm just listening, rather than trying to get some visceral reaction.  very interesting and mature parts.  it's definitely a transition album b/c i also listened to Minor GIant STeps today and it was like no time had passed.  so easy to listen tool.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 22:25
" We will then start working on a new DVD that will include a live recording of our most popular shorter songs that didn't make it on to "Meet The Flowerkings". We'll try to do: There is More To this World, Church of your Heart, The Flower King, Last Minute on Earth, Retropolis, Train To Nowhere, I Am The Sun, Road To Sanctuary, My Cosmic Lover, Compassion and maybe some medley of other songs. We have so many songs to pick from. It will also contain interviews in english, biographies, photo galleries." -2004

What happened to this?
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 03:25

Hey guys - you all need to get your vote in for Roine here:

Edited by Nov - March 06 2012 at 03:27
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 13:28
heard a tune off the Flying Colors disc on progzilla podcast.  it was awesome.  i'm gonna pick this up. it has a bit of a TA feel.  the singer is better than i thought.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 14:27
Back to the beginning for me.  Time to spin The Flower King.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 16:06
Alright, just got Unfold the Future from my mailbox, and the next hour belongs to the Flower Kings Big smile
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 20:59

Alright, just got Unfold the Future from my mailbox, and the next hour belongs to the Flower Kings Big smile

you mean 2 hours!LOL
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 21:05
Love that CD, but year, that will take you more than an hour.

So, I went to the used CD store today and found the remastered 5.1 version of "Stupid Dream" by Porcupine Tree for 7 Dollars and "Tick Tock" by Gazpacho, unopened for $2.50 . . . woohoo

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 21:51
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

you mean 2 hours!LOL

My band had practice...Now back to listening!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 22:15
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

I'm really curious to hear The Devil's Playground though, cause they're really arent any versions on youtube.
That track took a while for me to get into Wink

I bought UTF when it came out and it was a daunting prospect when I already had several other TFK albums to get used to. I think we've all had this experience with TFK where you know it all sounds great but you do wonder if you're ever going to actually know the music LOL

Anyway, I was so blown away with TTWSYF at the time that the rest of the album was kind of over-shadowed and The Devil's Playground seemed pretty quirky............

..........until I saw them in London on the UTF tour and they opened with this track. MY GOD!! I was blown completely away and have loved it ever since. Jonas's bass-lines during the closing guitar solo are literally worth buying the whole album for! Incredible stuff.

If UTF was just TTWSYF and TDP it would be considered one of the best prog rock albums of all time in my opinion. But then you still get all this other great stuff!!

It's frustrating when you read all these threads form Yes fans on this forum bumping their gums and moaning about the band about this and that and I'm like "LISTEN TO THE FLOWER KINGS INSTEAD!!!!" coz TFK have certainly been better than Yes have been since 1977.

Must have been great! What was the setlist?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 22:36
How is Tomas Bodin's "I AM"? I bought it today blindly, which I don't usually like to do, but I couldn't help myself. I couldn't remember anyone's feeling about the album, but do remember that it's his most popular, and was recommended it before. I won't get around to listening to it until tomorrow, so I should expect some comments here before then. Wink

It's got the Paradox Hotel rhythm section, so it should be interesting.

Matt, how did you like Unfold the Future?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 10:01

How is Tomas Bodin's "I AM"? I bought it today blindly, which I don't usually like to do, but I couldn't help myself. I couldn't remember anyone's feeling about the album, but do remember that it's his most popular, and was recommended it before. I won't get around to listening to it until tomorrow, so I should expect some comments here before then. Wink

Well, I got through Grand Old World last night and still haven't formed an opinion really (although it's good so far Wink). However, I have a track meet today and I don't run til like 8:00 (and it starts at three) so I'm gonna have PLENTY of time to listen to it today.Headbanger
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:00

Well, you'll get mixed opinions, but for me it's the best FK side project album ever.  No joke.  I guess I feel that way about it because it has so much of the FK vibe about it, and many of the other projects don't have it nearly as much.  It's just symphonic rock bliss, with an emphasis on the rock.  I also like they lyrics and relate to them in a big way.  Plus, it's a 60 minute long piece, divided into three tracks on the CD.  How could it not be good ?  Wink

The biggest issue most people seem to have is the vocalist.  I think he's very good, but there are some parts in the beginning where he is deliberately screechy and off-key.  I say deliberately because Tomas has said (on TFK yahoo group) that he asked the guy to sing that way.  It was what he wanted for those particular parts.  But later in the album the guy proves he is a good singer, though I get the sense that he is more of a metal singer than anything else (though there are some spots where he sound uncannily like Roine........but I have confirmed that Roine does not sing on the album at all).  In any case, his vocals grew on me and it is easily my favorite FK related album.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:04
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Love that CD, but year, that will take you more than an hour.

So, I went to the used CD store today and found the remastered 5.1 version of "Stupid Dream" by Porcupine Tree for 7 Dollars and "Tick Tock" by Gazpacho, unopened for $2.50 . . . woohoo

Good score!

Yeah, it honestly took me an entire year to fully digest and appreciate Unfold.  I was actually a bit disappointed by it the first couple of times I heard it, if you can believe that.  It was a radical departure, to my ears, from their more typical fare and seemed to lack the magic that the early albums had for me (I became a fan in 1999).  However, a year or so after it was released, it really clicked for me and now I consider it their best album, and my second favorite.

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 13:49

Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

I'm really curious to hear The Devil's Playground though, cause they're really arent any versions on youtube.
That track took a while for me to get into Wink

I bought UTF when it came out and it was a daunting prospect when I already had several other TFK albums to get used to. I think we've all had this experience with TFK where you know it all sounds great but you do wonder if you're ever going to actually know the music LOL

Anyway, I was so blown away with TTWSYF at the time that the rest of the album was kind of over-shadowed and The Devil's Playground seemed pretty quirky............

..........until I saw them in London on the UTF tour and they opened with this track. MY GOD!! I was blown completely away and have loved it ever since. Jonas's bass-lines during the closing guitar solo are literally worth buying the whole album for! Incredible stuff.

If UTF was just TTWSYF and TDP it would be considered one of the best prog rock albums of all time in my opinion. But then you still get all this other great stuff!!

It's frustrating when you read all these threads form Yes fans on this forum bumping their gums and moaning about the band about this and that and I'm like "LISTEN TO THE FLOWER KINGS INSTEAD!!!!" coz TFK have certainly been better than Yes have been since 1977.

Must have been great! What was the setlist?
I don't know exactly but I just found a set-list on-line from around the same time so it was something like this:
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 12:36
I AM is pretty good. I listened to it earlier. VERY Flower Kings-like, and I thought The Truth Will Set You Free tease was cool (I think it was during the second epic).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:42

Typical Flower Kings title, huh? Thumbs Up

Who's ready for the new record? Big smile
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:39

Typical Flower Kings title, huh? Thumbs Up

Who's ready for the new record? Big smile

Uh, like everybody in this thread?

Smile

Any more silly questions???

Lets hope for Chicken Farmer Song Pt II    Wink

I will buy the new CD either way, though.  Tongue

Edited by dennismoore - March 11 2012 at 20:40
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169170 486>