Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 339340341342343 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 10:08
I don't get the love for the entire Space Revolver album.  It just sounds kind of light weight to me and the cheese factor is quite high.  I've always thought that it would've been stronger had it been released a la BoE with I Am the Sun part 1, Dream on Dreamer, Rumblefishtwist and I Am the Sun part 2 making up disc one and the rest being on disc two.  I've tried for years to get into it and it just ain't happening.  Of course, Chicken Farmer song is fun once in a while Wink

As I've written, Rainmaker is my favorite.  It's one of the more memorable TFK albums.  Last Minute, Serious Dreamers and the instrumentals...Love it!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:22
http://www.progrockmag.com/news/the-tangent-premiere-track-from-new-album/

Snippet of the last tune on the new Tangent album due out in June.  Sounds really good.  Lots of synth!  Tongue
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:13
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I don't get the love for the entire Space Revolver album.  It just sounds kind of light weight to me and the cheese factor is quite high.  I've always thought that it would've been stronger had it been released a la BoE with I Am the Sun part 1, Dream on Dreamer, Rumblefishtwist and I Am the Sun part 2 making up disc one and the rest being on disc two.  I've tried for years to get into it and it just ain't happening.  Of course, Chicken Farmer song is fun once in a while Wink
As I've written, Rainmaker is my favorite.  It's one of the more memorable TFK albums.  Last Minute, Serious Dreamers and the instrumentals...Love it!
Surely this is just being controversial? Rainmaker Best that's like saying Yes's best album is 90125 or Genesis being Abacab !!!!!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 13:34
Space Revolver was one of my first TFK albums, if not THE first (not sure if it was that or Stardust disc 1, it was 7 years ago) so it's higher on my list for that, but objectively speaking, I think it's more in the middle. There's at least 3 albums better than SR, but it's better than many of the other TFK albums.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 13:36
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Surely this is just being controversial? Rainmaker Best that's like saying Yes's best album is 90125 or Genesis being Abacab !!!!!

I don't know, that's a little extreme. TFK never made a bad album, or a poppy one.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 14:45
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I don't know, that's a little extreme. TFK never made a bad album, or a poppy one.

I wasn't comparing Rainmaker with the sell out albums by Yes/Genesis - just making the comparison with the weakest effort in the recording wealth of the Flokis, most people would have Rainmaker as least favourite or near that mark.....

Edited by M27Barney - May 31 2013 at 14:46
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 14:47

I wasn't comparing Rainmaker with the sell out albums by Yes/Genesis - just making the comparison with the weakest effort in the recording wealth of the Flokis, most people would have Rainmaker as least favourite or near that mark.....

True.

I don't know if I'd put Rainmaker last, that would probably be reserved for Retropolis, or Adam & Eve for me...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 15:16
I have just finished a relaxing stint of prog listening, The Black Forest (AOM), Shooting Albatross (Abel Ganz) then the title track from The Raven that Refused to Sing - absolutely superb melancholy prog - just wish it's final theme was reprised with a soaring guitar solo - that would put the track into the stratosphere - I always feel that S. Wilson is frightened of over-indulgence lest he gets tarred with the same bush as all OTT prog outfits - The Flokis being the band currently flying the flag for epic symphonic prog....
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 15:38

Well, I bet there is some goof ball out there who's favorite Yes album is Open Your Eyes Wink

Objectively, yes, Space Revolver is quite an album.  Monster Within is a complex, monster track.  I just don't like it.  Underdog starts okay, then you get that cheese ball trumpet synth and the ridiculous ending with TV commercial samples.  Slave to Money is okay, but King's Prayer is just so damn regal...I know, it's about a king.

It's all about personal zeitgeist.  Rainmaker hit me at the right time and i just latched on to it.  It's interesting, Darkshade put's Retropolis at the bottom, but Infandous puts this album at the top.  It's his personal favorite.

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 15:42

Well, I bet there is some goof ball out there who's favorite Yes album is Open Your Eyes Wink

Hey!!!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 15:48
I am the Sun Part one start - AWESOME, I love part two also - these tracks alone make it better than Rainmaker - but each to his own I suppose.....I didn't like GOD first time I listened to it (first time I had heard the flokis as well - but I was in the middle of a wholesale CD purchasing frenzy and it got lost in the noise of the thirty or so CD's I was buying in one go....I still think I've got about 60 CD's from that spree that I still haven't spun

Edited by M27Barney - May 31 2013 at 15:49
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:18
Honestly, Rainmaker is only on the bottom of my list because it was the last TFK album I got, and I still haven't given it enough time to warm up to me.I do remember the last time I listened to it, I remarked here that it was better than I thought. So Adam & Eve would be on the bottom then.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:24
It should be noted that I haven't really been listening to TFK in some time (or TA, SB, NM, Karmakanic, AoM, etc.. for that matter) probably not since October, before Hurrican Sandy rolled through. That week left me with limited ways of listening to music, mainly a small speaker that I used to have, but didn't want to listen to any prog stuff (I prefer it loud, with great, big speakers) so lots of jazz went on, and that has continued to this day, but also I fell in a big Zappa kick, right after the power came back on, and now it's more jazz, and jam-bands, what with summer and all.

Sorry about the rant, but point is, is that I need to go through the TFK catalog again, and then I will have a better opinion on them.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:46
Sorry Rushfan. Open You Eyes is amazing:)

Good points Darkshade. I like prog on a good system too.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 21:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-EXd6ngD34

Nad is on tour with Steve Hackett.  Here's a video of Entangled.  I didn't know he was doing all Genesis.  I wish he'd play the souther US.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 11:00
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Nope, he was not there because he was involved in some theater production in Sweden and couldn't make it.  From what I remember, the theater gig payed very well and he had committed to it before Roine scheduled the tour.  Tomas made sure to be available for the Japan leg though, since neither he nor the band had ever been there before.

In retrospect, I find  Alive to be easily their weakest live performance (I'm basing this on the other official releases, plus the pile of bootlegged shows I have).  Big Puzzle I find too slow and a bit limp, though it has it's good moments.  I just don't think Roine can top the solo at the end that he does on the studio version either.  As I recall, Salazar commented that he was not happy with the performances on CD2 of that album, though I think they are okay.  CD1 is very good, though I wish they would have left The Lamb off and put on an original tune.  For that matter, they only used about 55 minutes on each CD, so they could have fit a good deal more.  I also prefer the single show format over the select songs from different shows format on Alive.

It was the first live Flower Kings I heard, so at the time I really loved it.  Now I really only think The Judas Kiss is a standout performance, though the first two tracks are played perfectly as well.  It also just isn't a great set list, IMO.  I do agree that Salazar is/was a great drummer.  I just prefer Zoltan's style for TFK's.  When I saw him perform Garden Of Dreams the first time, I was sold on his style over Salazar's right then and there.  Of course, TFK's have never had a bad, or even sub par drummer.

Last I heard, Hasse still works at the airport, and yes, he gets a lot of support for his musical excursions from his employers.  Sweden is not like the US and Britain, when it comes to work flexibility.  I guess he has worked there for more than 20 years, so they work with him to accommodate his absences (which he may well not get paid for, I don't know..........Roine pays all the guys a salary on tour, so Hasse still makes money touring, even when Roine looses money).

As I mentioned, I thought Tomas may have been involved in one of his operatic/theatre projects Wink.

I'm surprised you're not impressed with the setlist.  In comparison to recent live releases which have tended to be very samey (excellent I'd stress but still samey) this contains songs you'll not find on any other official live releases, the aforementioned Judas Kiss and Big Puzzle plus Sounds of Violence, Church of Your Heart, The Flower King and others.  Not all of us have those fan club releases you have Gus AngryWink (they are now virtually impossible to find without paying a sum akin to the national deficit of Greece).

I think it's an excellent live album but as you rightly say the running time of both discs is a bit stingy.

I understand there will be a dvd from the last tour and as the setlist was a bit unimaginative on the tour the tracklisting will probably be similar to Tour Kaputt, plus of course the new tracks from BoE.  That's a shame as there are so many gems from their early-middle years which haven't been aired in a long time. 

Well, maybe I was a bit harsh on it.  I think the main thing to remember is not the fan club CD's, as they have no live material on them (and some rather spotty stuff, for that matter), but that I have a large pile of FK boot leg recordings of live shows.  Many of these surpass EVERY official release in terms of quality of performance (most are actually quite listenable with some only a mastering away from being pristine), not to mention better set lists.  That's probably my main issue with Alive, is that it's not a complete show.  You do list the best tracks, but I have all of those on live boots, most of them much better performances (though Church Of Your Heart and Judas Kiss on Alive are probably the best live versions of those that I have.......I think I've said that Judas on that one is the highlight of the album).

I'm not to enthused about getting a live album from the recent tour.  I will, of course, get it, but I suspect it may not get much play time.  I didn't much care for Numbers when I saw them perform it......possibly the only case of a song that I liked even less live than  the studio version (hear Adam & Eve material live made me appreciate it more, though it's still my least favorite).  I think Numbers has become possibly my least favorite FK epic of them all, possibly even below Monsters and Men (haven't listened to that one in quite some time).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 11:04

Honestly, Rainmaker is only on the bottom of my list because it was the last TFK album I got, and I still haven't given it enough time to warm up to me.I do remember the last time I listened to it, I remarked here that it was better than I thought. So Adam & Eve would be on the bottom then.

Rainmaker was the first FK album that disappointed me.  It has grown on me over the years, and is above A&E and the second CD of Flower Power in my rankings, but still not a favorite.  It does have some good stuff on it, and like all their albums hangs together very well.  Sword Of God is god awful, Elaine is quite clunky melodically and lyrically (love the jazz fusion bit at the end though), and a couple other tracks are simply unremarkable and bland (so much so that I can't seem to recall their titles at the moment).

As to the comments earlier about Space Revolver being cheesy........well, there's no accounting for taste is all I can say Wink  I think You Don't Know What You've Got is my least favorite FK song of all time though.  The rest of the album, however, is good to bloody brilliant.  I liked that album the first time I heard it, and my feelings have never changed.

Edited by infandous - June 02 2013 at 11:06
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 12:47
The bar is set quite high with TFK.  Saying one TFK is my least favorite is quite different that saying I don't like the new Daft Punk.  The good songs on the least stellar TFK albums are leaps and bounds above the majority of music that's come out in the last 20-30 years.  

I got into TFK in 2001.  First was Stardust.  LOVED IT!.  Then I got Retropolis and then everything after SWA up to UtF.  For some reason, SR and UtF never blew me away.  I quit paying attention after Meet the Flower Kings only to come back in 2010.  SInce then, I've been trying to fill in the gaps in my collection with all TFK and related bands.  I've also been going back to the CDs I bought when I first got into them.  I understand why you guys love UtF and SR, but I just can't get into half of SR and almost none of UtF.  What's wrong with me?   Cry Tongue

The Truth Will Set You Free is just a hot mess to my ears.  Black and White is pretty good.  The rest is just unremarkable to me.  Now, put on Love Supreme, Driver's Seat, Numbers and I pay attention the entire time.  Very interesting how we all have different tastes and opinions.  I'll keep trying!  Cool
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 12:55

The bar is set quite high with TFK.  Saying one TFK is my least favorite is quite different that saying I don't like the new Daft Punk.  The good songs on the least stellar TFK albums are leaps and bounds above the majority of music that's come out in the last 20-30 years.  

I got into TFK in 2001.  First was Stardust.  LOVED IT!.  Then I got Retropolis and then everything after SWA up to UtF.  For some reason, SR and UtF never blew me away.  I quit paying attention after Meet the Flower Kings only to come back in 2010.  SInce then, I've been trying to fill in the gaps in my collection with all TFK and related bands.  I've also been going back to the CDs I bought when I first got into them.  I understand why you guys love UtF and SR, but I just can't get into half of SR and almost none of UtF.  What's wrong with me?   Cry Tongue

The Truth Will Set You Free is just a hot mess to my ears.  Black and White is pretty good.  The rest is just unremarkable to me.  Now, put on Love Supreme, Driver's Seat, Numbers and I pay attention the entire time.  Very interesting how we all have different tastes and opinions.  I'll keep trying!  Cool

Well, I have no intention to "try harder" to appreciate Love Supreme, Driver's Seat, Numbers, or Monsters and Men (among others), so you don't need to either Smile  I actually have tried, repeatedly, to appreciate them........to a certain extent I do.  The problem is, I just don't enjoy listening to them that much (but appreciate the craft and musicianship, as well as the excellent production on all of them).  As you say though, there is almost nothing by TFK that I can't stand to listen to.  The Truth Will Set You Free is not my favorite FK epic, but it's in the top 5 for me.  I've said before that Unfold took nearly a year for me to really "get", and another year or two after that before I decided it's their best work (though my second favorite FK album).  Anyway, like what you like and don't apologize for it, I don't WinkLOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 12:58
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Rainmaker was the first FK album that disappointed me.  It has grown on me over the years, and is above A&E and the second CD of Flower Power in my rankings, but still not a favorite.  It does have some good stuff on it, and like all their albums hangs together very well.  Sword Of God is god awful, Elaine is quite clunky melodically and lyrically (love the jazz fusion bit at the end though), and a couple other tracks are simply unremarkable and bland (so much so that I can't seem to recall their titles at the moment).

As to the comments earlier about Space Revolver being cheesy........well, there's no accounting for taste is all I can say Wink  I think You Don't Know What You've Got is my least favorite FK song of all time though.  The rest of the album, however, is good to bloody brilliant.  I liked that album the first time I heard it, and my feelings have never changed.

SORRY, I meant Retropolis!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 339340341342343 486>