Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 411412413414415 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:50
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

^I've just read your review - the only one that's up as a matter of fact!!

You've sold me - I'm on it Wink.
Enjoy, it was only released late last year so it was nigh on impossible to find before then.  I'm digging it and really re-energized me regarding Arena.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:52
In the 'What are you listening to' vein, I discovered Motorpsycho last night.  They've got some really good stuff.  I'm still familliarizing myself with them, but if you're looking for a fantastic song, check out "Hell: parts 4-6" off of their latest release 'Behind the Sun'.  The wall of sound that hits you at the eight minute mark is phenominal!  I got the proverbial goosebumps as I flew down the interstate with this goofy smile on my face.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 09:42
The Bearded Bard is a really big fan of Motorpsycho.  You might want to hit him up for additional suggestions.

In my car, I currently have Monarch Trail's Skye, Yes' Heaven and Earth, Chicago's Now, Tom Petty's Hypnotic Eye, and Weather Report's Night Passage.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 10:06
I`ve been looking out for more vinyl of classic progressive rock bands. there are also some highs with TFK albums playing through this week of harrowing hell at work, due to the volume of the workload needed to be shipped out, lucky no unhappiness for me prog playing oooh...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 10:36
Hey all. Is it OK to post here if I still haven't listened to the newest TFK album?
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 11:21
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Hey all. Is it OK to post here if I still haven't listened to the newest TFK album?
Darkshade, what's shaking man, I haven't seen you in a while . . . absolutely it's ok to post.

How's the world treating you these days?

Tom

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 11:22
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The Bearded Bard is a really big fan of Motorpsycho.  You might want to hit him up for additional suggestions.

In my car, I currently have Monarch Trail's Skye, Yes' Heaven and Earth, Chicago's Now, Tom Petty's Hypnotic Eye, and Weather Report's Night Passage.

Oh cool, thanks Scott, I will do that,  I'm just starting to explore them but I'll hit him up for more info.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 11:51
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Darkshade, what's shaking man, I haven't seen you in a while . . . absolutely it's ok to post.

Tom

Haha, been missing my prog and realized it's been months since I've been on the forum. Spent the better part of the past year exploring the world of Phish. Then "Infinite Fire" from Flying Colors came up when I accidentally clicked the track on iTunes. Well now I'm going through Dream Theater's discography to "warm back up". Still listening to Phish, but not binging anymore.

That, and a combination of uninteresting topics and my loss of interest in prog music for a while (even though I consider Phish prog) led to me not coming back here. But I think I'm back for good, for now Wink

Edited by darkshade - September 04 2014 at 11:53
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 12:01

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Tom

Haha, been missing my prog and realized it's been months since I've been on the forum. Spent the better part of the past year exploring the world of Phish. Then "Infinite Fire" from Flying Colors came up when I accidentally clicked the track on iTunes. Well now I'm going through Dream Theater's discography to "warm back up". Still listening to Phish, but not binging anymore.

That, and a combination of uninteresting topics and my loss of interest in prog music for a while (even though I consider Phish prog) led to me not coming back here. But I think I'm back for good, for now Wink

I went through a similar phase myself for most of 2013 and the early part of 2014.  Other than checking in on this thread, I wasn't very active.  I had a lot of outside issues and was withdrawing from things, that and I was in an indie rock phase for a while.  I think I started coming back regularly about two months ago.  Started working on the Neo team again and am spending a lot of single Dad time with my little girl so things are working out for the better.

Dream Theater is good stuff, they're what really got me into prog back in 07, they're kind of like a gateway drug.

musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 12:17
Not really a big fan of Flower Kings but I would like to add some songs from them in my Internet Radio Station. I like it dark, hard and sometime heavy.

Do you have songs in kind of darkly atmospheric or hard to suggest to me? Thanks.
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:08

Heh, of course you can man.  Good to see you back!   You should probably get the newest album though......the bonus CD is a must as well.  Not their best work, but I like it better than Banks and it's pretty solid overall.

As to your other post, I've always kinda, sorta liked Phish.  That first album is quite proggy, but I was then disappointed by what came after.  Live they are like a more modern Grateful Dead, with less of the folky, country vibe that the Dead sometimes had.  Still, there is no denying that they are all impressive musicians.

I've never really gotten tired of prog, because there is so much of it that is good.  I listen to other stuff, of course, but I never find anything that obsesses me in the same way.  It's kind of crazy when I think about it, that since the early 90's I've pretty much been listening primarily to prog (though I didn't become really obsessed with it until the end of the 90's when I found the internet and TFK's).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:40
I've ordered the new Abel Ganz - well I had too - stick it on me MP3 player - ready for Tenerife next week...
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 15:39
Heh, my post about posting here was in jest ;)

@Roland

Dream Theater go way back with me, way before I started listening to prog, or knew what it was. They were my gateway, along with Opeth. I actually bought the new DT album when it came out last year, but only listened a couple of times. Didn't do much for me, and by then I was in full-Phish mode.

@infandous

Looking up Phish album reviews is actually how I discovered this site. Phish are more rock and funk than The Grateful Dead, and their improvisations are way out there sometimes, way more than The Dead or any other jam band have ever gotten. Part of the obsession is that their "type II" jams are like pieces of music themselves, and there is so much of it that I just want to hear all of it, or as much as I can, but that will take years, and I've been into them for 10+ years already. I think I listened to over 300 shows since June 2013, most of which were new to me. And I'm not one to just keep listening to 'new' shows without going back.

-------------

Sometimes you need a break from certain kinds of music to be able to appreciate it again when you go back. Sometimes it's a few days/weeks/months, sometimes it's years. I actually listened to new Transatlantic album once when it came out and enjoyed it but, again, wasn't feeling the symphonic prog at the time

New TFK is already being checked out at Amazon, along with new Transatlantic and Opeth albums. Not sure what else I should get. I heard there's a new Yes album, and I bought Fly From Here, but wasn't thrilled, I thought it was good/ok. Reviews look negative.

Any other TFK or TA-related stuff come out lately?
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 16:14
Originally posted by musitron musitron wrote:

Not really a big fan of Flower Kings but I would like to add some songs from them in my Internet Radio Station. I like it dark, hard and sometime heavy.

Do you have songs in kind of darkly atmospheric or hard to suggest to me? Thanks.

Hmmm, dark atmosphere from The Flower Kings, honestly, it's not exactly what they're known for but they have some.  I'd try 'Adam and Eve' (the song) of the the album with the same title or "White Tuxedos" off of Desolation Rose.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 16:17

-------------

Sometimes you need a break from certain kinds of music to be able to appreciate it again when you go back. Sometimes it's a few days/weeks/months, sometimes it's years. I actually listened to new Transatlantic album once when it came out and enjoyed it but, again, wasn't feeling the symphonic prog at the time

New TFK is already being checked out at Amazon, along with new Transatlantic and Opeth albums. Not sure what else I should get. I heard there's a new Yes album, and I bought Fly From Here, but wasn't thrilled, I thought it was good/ok. Reviews look negative.

I can say I've heard mostly bad reviews for both Yes and Transatlantic.  I haven't actually heard the new one yet but haven't heard anything that makes me run for it.

musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 16:22
rolland113 "White Tuxedos" will fit in my Radio Station. Thanks
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 16:45

rolland113 "White Tuxedos" will fit in my Radio Station. Thanks
You're welcome, enjoy.

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 03:37

Hi Darkshade

There's a new Flying Colors album due out in October if you're interested.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 04:49

If you fancy a longer piece Silent Inferno from Unfold The Future is pretty dark.  It's also brilliant Wink.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:55
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Hi Darkshade

There's a new Flying Colors album due out in October if you're interested.

Aside from the first and last track, I didn't really like the first Flying Colors album. Maybe I'll Spotify it when it comes out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 411412413414415 486>