Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 438439440441442 486>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 11:28
^ True that is always a point of contention with DT.....are they just too talented to all be in 1 group? Myung is never really spot lighted as much as he should be. He and Portnoy did make a great rhythm combo, much better than he and Mangini, I just find Mangini's playing is too fast. Clearly Rudess is a talent on the keys but the music he plays is becoming too predictable.
Since I have been a DT fan for so long it is easier for me to stick with the group of albums that I enjoy and leave some alone, this one so far is one that I will leave alone. It could very well be that Labrie has had some vocal coaching, it happens often and these singers are then suggested to "turn it down" some and focus on different registers, he does sound better.

I still think they should have taken a break, at this point in their career they should be very consistent in releases.

I just bought Courting the Widow, really like the music so far. The singing I have no issue with, being I don't have issue with Peter Hamill singing either LOL.
Will fully listen to it in the coming days.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 17:40
Yeah, really liking the Nad Sylvan disc.  Cannot get into the last AoM album, The Black Forest.  Not sure why.  I basically liked the first two.  I want to check out that Unifaun disc Nad did before AoM.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 09:14
Interesting as I find TBF a good listen, the one I struggle with is Dramarama...but honestly all of them are just a good listen to me, nothing too spectacular I suppose, at least for me. It's good music for sure.......

What is this Unifaun?
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 08:07
I like all 3 AoM releases and (whisper it) some of the material is superior to some of the material on last 2 TFK albums Shocked.  Not sure which of the AoM I prefer, it's a really tough call.  The first one is lovely and pastoral, I might give that one the vote.

Good news is there's a new Karmakanic album on the way (release date in July I believe).  Only three tracks and one of them a 31 minute epic.  Sounds interesting.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 14:39
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I like all 3 AoM releases and (whisper it) some of the material is superior to some of the material on last 2 TFK albums Shocked.  Not sure which of the AoM I prefer, it's a really tough call.  The first one is lovely and pastoral, I might give that one the vote.

Good news is there's a new Karmakanic album on the way (release date in July I believe).  Only three tracks and one of them a 31 minute epic.  Sounds interesting.

Well, I agree with you about AoM.  I actually prefer all those albums generally over the last two FK albums, but some tracks on those aren't as good as some tracks on those last two FK albums (if that makes sense).  The title track of Black Forest would have been great on a FK album......I do like Nad's singing but I think I generally prefer the Froberg/Stolt combination.  In any case, I think TBF is my favorite of the 3, followed by Dramarama and then the debut.  At the time those were coming out, I felt they were TFK's light.........until the two recent FK albums came out and I realized THOSE were TFK's light Wink

That Karmakanic sounds promising!  I wasn't crazy about the last one, aside from the opening track that was just okay.  I only played it two or three times and haven't felt the need to listen to it again.  I've actually been listening to Wheel Of Life again lately and that is a freaking KILLER album.  Whose The Boss is quite good as well, though a bit over polished to my ears.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 14:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Interesting as I find TBF a good listen, the one I struggle with is Dramarama...but honestly all of them are just a good listen to me, nothing too spectacular I suppose, at least for me. It's good music for sure.......

What is this Unifaun?

Unifaun is Nad's other album.  It's almost entirely him, but another guy plays keys and co-wrote some of it.  I have it but haven't listened to it since I got it.  The new one is much better to my ears.  I will have to pull the Unifaun back out though, as I recall it being similar in style.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 09:28
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

What is this Unifaun?

Unifaun is Nad's other album.  It's almost entirely him, but another guy plays keys and co-wrote some of it.  I have it but haven't listened to it since I got it.  The new one is much better to my ears.  I will have to pull the Unifaun back out though, as I recall it being similar in style.

Thank you....will look into it.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 09:43

What is this Unifaun?

Thank you....will look into it.
If I recall the story, Nad and the other guy met on a Genesis fan forum and collaborated on the Unifaun album via the internet.  I've only heard a few of the songs off of the album, but it is quite a tribute to their Genesis fandom.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 23:20
because of a downer I`ve been unwell so music as taken a back seat lately but I`ve been finding happier times due to the vinyl album " Stardust We Are " its so uplifting add SB V and you`ll be right on the £££££...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 19:45
I don't know, I just can't get into that last AoM album.  Way too heavy and dark for me.  Not sure why.  Thew new Nad is great and in line with the first two AoM albums.  More melodic I think.  Horrible artwork though.

Glad to hear about new Karmakanic.  I really liked the last two albums and the live one.  Not a huge fan of the first two.  Guess I was burned out on TFK product at that point.

BTW, Unifaun was said, by Nad, to be a 'Genesis Soundscape' album.  Definitely has a Trick of the Tale sound to it.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 20:56
Boo . . . *runs off madly once again*
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2016 at 16:56
Listened to Desolation Rose today.  I think I like disc 2 better.  Not much other prog lately. 
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 09:41

http://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=16848&IdCompany=8

Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt team up for ‘The Invention Of Knowledge’

Anderson / Stolt, the brand new duo of legendary Yes vocalist & singer/songwriter Jon Anderson and progressive rock veteran Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings, Transatlantic), have announced the release of their collaborative album ‘The Invention Of Knowledge’ for 24th June 2016 via InsideOut Music.
Jon Anderson had this to say: “.....Music is always the driving force in my life...working with such a wonderful musician as Roine Stolt made the creation of this album very unique,we are very excited with the release of 'Invention of Knowledge'.“
Roine Stolt adds: “It is not aiming at being new Yes music; just new music, modern and classical, rock and ethno, tribal and orchestrated, grooving and floating. Hopefully in the true spirit of “progressive” - leaning forward, surprising and also comforting with familiar run-arounds.
We’ve been “inventing” as we go along - Jon is an endless source of new ideas. We’ve been bouncing ideas back and forth for months and as a result there are probably dozens of versions of these songs. It’s been a very interesting and rewarding time and the result is just insanely detailed.”
InsideOut label-head Thomas Waber comments: “I have been talking to Jon for ages about making an album of ‘Yes music’ – as Jon calls it - and Roine seemed like the perfect guy for him to work with. I am really happy that it has finally happened and I am also thrilled with the material they have come up with. I think it will please a lot of fans!”
The idea came to life swiftly off the back of a performance from Roine’s band Transatlantic, and Jon Anderson on the Progressive Nation At Sea Cruise in 2014, and was initially instigated by InsideOut Music label boss Thomas Waber. The duo set about crafting new music in the spirit of early epic works such as ‘Tales From Topographic Oceans’, ‘Awaken’ & ‘Olias Of Sunhillow’, but giving it a modern twist.
Written & recorded over the course of 1 and a half years, the tracks have been in a state of constant change as Roine and Jon swapped & refined ideas by sending tracks to each other via the internet. In March 2015, an ensemble was put together by Roine to realise the music live in the studio. Joining him there was Tom Brislin (who played on the Yes Symphonic tour) & Lalle Larsson on keys, Jonas Reingold & Michael Stolt on bass and Felix Lehrmann on drums. The sessions were also bolstered by appearances from Daniel Gildenlöw, Nad Sylvan, Anja Obermayer, Maria Rerych and Kristina Westas who all provided backing vocals.
The full track-listing for the album is as follows:
• Knowing 17:45
• Everybody Heals 13:20
• Invention Of Knowledge 23:10
• Know 11.20
Keep an eye out for more news in the coming weeks!
ANDERSON / STOLT
online:www.jonanderson.com

www.flowerkings.se

Artwork: Silas Toball

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 10:59
^ That sounds interesting........Although I hope it's not some Jon music like what he did with Jean-Luc Ponty. that was too eclectic for my tastes.

The supporting musicians are good I hear Big smile
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 12:19

^ That sounds interesting........Although I hope it's not some Jon music like what he did with Jean-Luc Ponty. that was too eclectic for my tastes.

The supporting musicians are good I hear Big smile

Well, the Inside Out guy had been pushing Jon to do more "Yes" like music for years, and it was he who suggested he work with Roine.  So I'm thinking this just might be pretty good Big smile
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 20:12
It sounds very inspired.  Raine does well with some time between projects.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 20:12
It sounds very inspired.  Roine does well with some time between projects.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 22:14
must`ve been through a arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! issue due no prog playing for over three months...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 10:01
Probably not terribly relevant here, but I've listened to the new DT a few times now.  I guess if you like Disney Princess ballads performed by Winger, this is the album for you.

It's really not terrible (aside from the lyrics, of course) but I do wonder what they were thinking with all those cheesy ballads?  Even the more typical DT stuff sounds pretty generic and uninspired.  On the other hand, I've never heard LaBrie sound so good, and he's usually my least favorite thing about the band.  Overall, it's interesting I guess, but not memorable and certainly not their finest hour, IMO.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 10:52

Probably not terribly relevant here, but I've listened to the new DT a few times now.  I guess if you like Disney Princess ballads performed by Winger, this is the album for you.

It's really not terrible (aside from the lyrics, of course) but I do wonder what they were thinking with all those cheesy ballads?  Even the more typical DT stuff sounds pretty generic and uninspired.  On the other hand, I've never heard LaBrie sound so good, and he's usually my least favorite thing about the band.  Overall, it's interesting I guess, but not memorable and certainly not their finest hour, IMO.

I have yet to listen to the whole thing, simply because I am uninspired to continue a listening session after 30 minutes. The music is nothing special, agree sounds generic...and no Myung in the mix!!!???

I have tickets to the Seattle show, and have never done this before but actually put them up for sale.....One, I actually have a conflict that night but really I have zero interest in hearing the WHOLE FREAKING ALBUM LIVE!!

I agree he sounds pretty good for what I have heard. The good thing with DT is the earlier catalog is excellent and I have been spending time with many of them, grown to appreciate Falling Into Infinity.

I am really not sure what they are trying to do, creating a new DT just because Portnoy left is not working for them...they have become generic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 438439440441442 486>