Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 441442443444445 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 13:14
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Well - I have just listened to the "Invention of Knowledge" - didn't exactly blow my pants off, I think there is far too much singing and not enough of Stolts guitar work. In fact not a single solo that comes anywhere near his best work! - another damp-squib I'm afraid! (Knowing Pt 1 is the best track on spin 1).
Mind you then I spun my other buy that arrived today "Lost & Found" by Samurai of prog....WOWSER!!!! A sumptuous blend of keyboards and electric guitars & violin - sort of Camel/Greenslade/ELP/Jethro Tull all blended into one - some of the mellotron/moog work is outstanding - I have a new band to explore - so I'm happy as a pig in prog-sh*t! (oh and CD 2 is a 57 minute epic! marvellous stuff!!! one to recommend from me!

Samurai of Prog are primarily a covers band........that entire album is composed of tracks by 70's prog bands that were never released (or had very limited release), except the first track which is from the first album of Pavlov's Dog (the band, in case you hadn't heard of them).  I believe their 3rd album is original compositions, but not by any of the band members (they solicited compositions from various prog keyboardists if I am remembering correctly).  The first two albums are more well know prog covers.

I do have one of those Colossus releases that has an original composition on it, and I read an interview with Steve Unruh (whose own music is well worth checking out) saying that they wanted to start doing more original material, so I guess we'll see where that goes.  In any case, they are quite good at what they do, but it's not exactly "new" material we are talking about here, just in case you didn't know.
Just read the inner blurb - well, regardless of whether they are originals or not - these unrecorded jems are VERY VERY good! - The overblown epics are always likely to be un-recorded because a band are too afraid that they will be seen as pretentious etc....bring it on I'm buying the LOT!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 10:47
Just got Radiant Records email issuing this on blue vinyl.......Probably gonna pull the trigger, even though seems some are not that impressed with the release?

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 03:21
OK, confession time.  I don't have the new Anderson/Stolt album yet Shocked.  I may actually buy it from a record/cd store this weekend, just like the old days.

Absolutely loving the new Frost cd.  The prog/trance of Closer To The Sun is the best piece of music I've heard this year.

New Karmakanic on the way soon too!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 13:34
I guess I should give Frost a listen.  Kind of meh on the last one.  I am psyched for new Karmakanic.  A/S is getting mixed reviews, but the stuff I've heard is the best Jon has done since GFtO, IMHO.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 03:16
Hi Zuma, hope you are doing well.  The new Frost cd is certainly more akin to their first one rather than EIMA, but a little different.  There's a bit of pop, trance, you name it.  Personally I love it!  I saw them live the other week and they were superb.  I also got the chance to meet Jem Godfrey and what a thoroughly nice fella he is.

I have the Anderson/Stolt album lined up for a good listen tomorrow when I have a few spare hours - really looking forward to it.

Another new album I heard for the first time is Circuline's new one Counterpoint.  Very impressed, a huge improvement on their debut.  It's heavier, darker and more progressive too.  One of my albums of the year so far.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 08:46
I don't think that the new Anderson/Stolt gets released in the US until next week.  At least, it isn't available for purchase on Amazon until then. 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 08:53

Well - I have just listened to the "Invention of Knowledge" - didn't exactly blow my pants off, I think there is far too much singing and not enough of Stolts guitar work. In fact not a single solo that comes anywhere near his best work! - another damp-squib I'm afraid! (Knowing Pt 1 is the best track on spin 1).
Mind you then I spun my other buy that arrived today "Lost & Found" by Samurai of prog....WOWSER!!!! A sumptuous blend of keyboards and electric guitars & violin - sort of Camel/Greenslade/ELP/Jethro Tull all blended into one - some of the mellotron/moog work is outstanding - I have a new band to explore - so I'm happy as a pig in prog-sh*t! (oh and CD 2 is a 57 minute epic! marvellous stuff!!! one to recommend from me!

Samurai of Prog are primarily a covers band........that entire album is composed of tracks by 70's prog bands that were never released (or had very limited release), except the first track which is from the first album of Pavlov's Dog (the band, in case you hadn't heard of them).  I believe their 3rd album is original compositions, but not by any of the band members (they solicited compositions from various prog keyboardists if I am remembering correctly).  The first two albums are more well know prog covers.

I do have one of those Colossus releases that has an original composition on it, and I read an interview with Steve Unruh (whose own music is well worth checking out) saying that they wanted to start doing more original material, so I guess we'll see where that goes.  In any case, they are quite good at what they do, but it's not exactly "new" material we are talking about here, just in case you didn't know.
Just read the inner blurb - well, regardless of whether they are originals or not - these unrecorded jems are VERY VERY good! - The overblown epics are always likely to be un-recorded because a band are too afraid that they will be seen as pretentious etc....bring it on I'm buying the LOT!!!

Fair enough.......just pointing out that you've likely heard ALL the songs on their first two albums.  Only this most recent one was unrecorded songs by old prog bands.  The first two albums are all well known tunes by well known prog band.  The third album is, I think some unrecorded (like the England epic) and some newly written (at that time) by friends of the band.  I wasn't implying any of it was bad though.  You have made me want to get at least the most recent release as it sounds very promising.  So thanks for the recommendation Big smile
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 08:59
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I don't think that the new Anderson/Stolt gets released in the US until next week.  At least, it isn't available for purchase on Amazon until then. 

Yeah, US release is pushed back to July 8.  I still don't have a copy yet, so can't comment on it (I don't listen to preview snippets).

Some in the US ordered or pre-ordered from European based outlets (FK site, Inside Out), so they got it already.  I wasn't interested in the vinyl, and am using my US based prog dealer (Greg Walker), so I'm still waiting.  My understanding though is that the US stock has been sent already, so I might get it before the 8th.  We'll see.  I, for one, am very much looking forward to this.  Can't wait for the Karmakanic as well.

I heard a couple of tracks from the first Frost album and wasn't interested, so I don't think I'll check out the new one (never heard the second album at all).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 09:03
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Radiant Records has it, I ordered it yesterday on blue vinyl.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 21:25
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Hi Zuma, hope you are doing well.  The new Frost cd is certainly more akin to their first one rather than EIMA, but a little different.  There's a bit of pop, trance, you name it.  Personally I love it!  I saw them live the other week and they were superb.  I also got the chance to meet Jem Godfrey and what a thoroughly nice fella he is.

I have the Anderson/Stolt album lined up for a good listen tomorrow when I have a few spare hours - really looking forward to it.

Another new album I heard for the first time is Circuline's new one Counterpoint.  Very impressed, a huge improvement on their debut.  It's heavier, darker and more progressive too.  One of my albums of the year so far.

Listened to a bit of Frost's new one.  Not bad.  May pick it up.  I don't have IoK yet, but hope to after the release date.  Been on a Camel kick lately.  Also, I guess there is a substantial rumor that Morse is rejoining SB for an album this fall.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 00:45
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Also, I guess there is a substantial rumor that Morse is rejoining SB for an album this fall.  

That would be great if true. But could it be referring to the inevitable live DVD that will follow the recent Morsefest, when SB (with Neal) performed Snow in its entirety?
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 02:00
After a couple of listens to the Anderson/Stolt album I'm not really sure how I feel at the minute.  It sounds great, just like a mid 70s Yes album (the more pastoral parts of TFTO come to mind), a really nice listen, but nothing is really sticking in my head, nothing particularly memorable.  Hopefully that will come. 

Roine and Lalle are fantastic however, very understated but listen for their parts and they are superb here.  I also think Jon sounds fantastic, especially given he is getting on in years now.  Any chance they may play some gigs supporting the album?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 09:19

After a couple of listens to the Anderson/Stolt album I'm not really sure how I feel at the minute.  It sounds great, just like a mid 70s Yes album (the more pastoral parts of TFTO come to mind), a really nice listen, but nothing is really sticking in my head, nothing particularly memorable.  Hopefully that will come. 

Roine and Lalle are fantastic however, very understated but listen for their parts and they are superb here.  I also think Jon sounds fantastic, especially given he is getting on in years now.  Any chance they may play some gigs supporting the album?

I doubt we will see a tour, what with Jon touring with Rabin and the Maestro.

I am really growing into the album. Certainly, it is streets ahead of recent Yes efforts.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 11:50
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I doubt we will see a tour, what with Jon touring with Rabin and the Maestro.

I am really growing into the album. Certainly, it is streets ahead of recent Yes efforts.

Still waiting on my copy.  However, there has never been any talk of live shows for this album, sadly.  That doesn't mean their won't be, but a Roine interview from a month or so ago mentions that Jon will be busy with ARW for at least the next 6 months, probably a year or more.

I will be interested to see what they come up with, having heard Rabin's outstanding Jacaranda album (I don't like his work with Yes at all, so that should tell you something about that solo album....it's great).

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 11:21
http://www.keysandchords.com/interview-with-roine-stolt-guitar-player-of-the-flower-kings-and-now-playing-on-anderson--stolt.html

Good Roine interview.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 22:29
Hmmm not reading any good reviews of the new album. my copy is in the to listen to pile still lol........ 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 10:06
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Hmmm not reading any good reviews of the new album. my copy is in the to listen to pile still lol........ 

I still don't have mine yet, but I've read quite a few good reviews.  Certainly nothing indicating it's at the level of Close To The Edge or even Stardust We Are (from a FK perspective), but most I've seen are saying it's the best thing Anderson has put out since Magnification (or even earlier).  I've seen people call it the best "Yes" album since Drama, so there's that, anyway.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 15:37

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

I still don't have mine yet, but I've read quite a few good reviews.  Certainly nothing indicating it's at the level of Close To The Edge or even Stardust We Are (from a FK perspective), but most I've seen are saying it's the best thing Anderson has put out since Magnification (or even earlier).  I've seen people call it the best "Yes" album since Drama, so there's that, anyway.

Great interview.  Roine looks badass with long hair!  Don't have IoK.  Not in a hurry to listen.  I got so much to listen to.  I'm psyched about The Fringe.  There's some videos of them out there.  Good stuff.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 15:47
I'm confused about Kaipa vs. Kaipa De Capo.  Roine says he's playing with the entire original band.  So who's in the other Kaipa?  Anyone know?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
carlmarx38 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlmarx38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2016 at 06:54

........ most I've seen are saying it's the best thing Anderson has put out since Magnification (or even earlier)

Currently the Anderson/Stolt album has a rating of 4.15 based on 61 ratings. If it were allowed to be listed in the "Top Albums of 2016" listings (which it isn't because it isn't considered a Prog album but "Prog Related") it would currently be ranked about 5th.  Roine Stolt is the main producer of the album, and he organized all the musicians who played on it. Although the original demos were from Jon, the songs were changed so much, that at the end of the day, Stolt contributed fully to at least half of the writing of each track.

It isn't a Jon solo album, contrary to what the administrators of Prog Archives might have you believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 441442443444445 486>