Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 17:05
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

Wow, it's good to hear it's getting into newsagents down under!  (and with the CD too, sometimes the extra bits and pieces don't get included with the exported mags.

Clap  

The next issue in the UK is due Nov 25th. Big smile 

Wx

Cheers

Yeah I was [pleasantly surprised to see the UK issue here in Australia.

The CDs are in the folder so no chance of being flogged by nasty little hoodies.

there were no ads for the next mag in issue 3 Shocked - so I wonder what they are going to focus on.... a mystery. Wink
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 12:54

The new issue out on 25. November is a Prog-Folk issue.

Jethro Tull is dominating the frontpage. Renaissance, Fairport Convention and Comus is featured too on the frontpage. I feel an urge to do some 'Tull and 'Convention reviews now.....  

Classic Rock Present Prog is now on Facebook. 

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 13:44
Picked up the last issue. Liked the story about KC Red album and the weird side of Prog. 
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 10:19
Great special issue, loads of interviews. It kept me pretty busy for quite some time as it was an insightful read. Loved the interview with Neil Peart. Plus, the free disc led me on to some real gems; Blood Ceremony and Diagonal. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 14:32
In their Facebook group, the staff at Classic Rock Present Prog claims that # 5 sold far more than anticipated. I have switched my subscription over from Classic Rock to them because I like the daughter far better than the mother, let me put it that way. 
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 16:53
I have the first and the most recent.
The first is my favourite because of the Marillion article, which was fantastic, but the Genesis article in the latest was great as well. I'm really sad I missed the other two, just seemed to slip my mind though. I hope I can find the other two issues somewhere, although I'm doubtful.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 17:09
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I have the first and the most recent.

The first is my favourite because of the Marillion article, which was fantastic, but the Genesis article in the latest was great as well. I'm really sad I missed the other two, just seemed to slip my mind though. I hope I can find the other two issues somewhere, although I'm doubtful.

I think they can be bought directly from the publisher. Try http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/store/displayitem.asp?sid=565&id=31795  although # 2 is sold out. Try Ebay for that one.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 17:32
I know some people in the US have already been able to find the mag, though it hasn't showed up in this area yet. Anyway, I have all previous issues, and believe the magazine has steadily improved with time - even if I also believe there is a bit too much emphasis on contemporary British acts, which in my opinion are not particularly interesting. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 13:45
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I know some people in the US have already been able to find the mag, though it hasn't showed up in this area yet. Anyway, I have all previous issues, and believe the magazine has steadily improved with time - even if I also believe there is a bit too much emphasis on contemporary British acts, which in my opinion are not particularly interesting. 

Raff, I think, to be fair to them, that they are trying to demonstrate that there is still a vibrant prog scene out there and that the genre didn't just die when Rotten et al started to spit in 1976/77.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 14:19
Hehe - and their main buying public is a British one as well. Makes sense to cater more for the home market than the subsidiary markets. If and when they start selling more copies abroad than at home, that might just change a bit I'd wager :-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 04:22
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Hehe - and their main buying public is a British one as well. Makes sense to cater more for the home market than the subsidiary markets. If and when they start selling more copies abroad than at home, that might just change a bit I'd wager :-)

What makes you so sure of this??? Knowing that the prog-loving fraction of the public is infinitesimally small in the UK....

I think Raff makes a good point....

No this pure UK chauvinism dates from the NME/MM/Sounds days, and outside some US acts, generally the British press is downset at preferring their own kind
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 06:01
I believe their main buying public is not so much British as European. I started buying Classic Rock when I lived in Finland, and after I moved back to Italy I had no problems whatsoever in finding it in Rome. Classic Rock is also available just about everywhere here in the States, and the Prog magazine gets here every time, even if at least a month later than in Europe.

Anyway, I believe their attitude is a mixture of chauvinism (though it might be too strong a word) and familiarity, since for them it's easier to check out a British band than an American one (especially when talking of up-and-coming acts).  That said, I have nothing against British bands - they just don't appeal to my tastes, and find them a bit one-sided in most cases. Not to sound chauvinistic myself, but Italy nowadays has a number of bands that experiment with just about every subgenre of prog, and are definitely more interesting than the slew of female-fronted, melodic prog bands generally supported by Classic Rock's Prog magazine.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 08:59

All UK magazines are chauvinistic. Just have a look at the angling, motorsport and trainspotting magazines. It is just how this British publishing scene is. 

But I think Classic Rock Present Prog will branch out when getting more established. They are only into their first year, remember. But feel free to present your view to them on their Facebook page and they may even change their ways. 

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 20:27
Classic Rock and its Prog offshoot are my favourite music mags. They write about the music I care about, not the latest trendy hipster bands, like NME, or Rolling Stone, etc.  My only criticism is that, here where I am in Australia, I pay a ton for it, money that could be used to buy a new prog CD!
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 12:08
Well, at 25 and change bucks I dunno. What they're doing now in some places in Montréal is taking the magazine out of the cardboard box so you have to go to the cash to get the CD and the box because they kept getting torn open. I get Flight International and National Geographic  in the mail at yearly rates which together come out to be cheaper than a single issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog. My local Montréal Gazette newspaper monthly subscription rate comes out to exactly $25.95. I just don't understand why a magazine has to be so bloody expensive. 
squirting View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:07

I live in Australia and almost shat a brick when I saw the weird world of prog! issue.

Amazing covers and I checked out some new bands because of this magazine/CD. I'll definitely keep an eye out for future issues.

Must say, the reviews were mostly positive, with only one exception that I can remember (Ebony Tower). Can't help but feel they're just giving good reviews to everything, for some reason beyond my understanding.

But they get points for not giving a score.

Edited by squirting - January 21 2010 at 08:10
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:48
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well, at 25 and change bucks I dunno. What they're doing now in some places in Montréal is taking the magazine out of the cardboard box so you have to go to the cash to get the CD and the box because they kept getting torn open.

How tragic. Especially when they could have gotten the CD's for free from both Sean and me.

(Btw: its 199 Kroner = 36 Canadian bucks over here)

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 09:01

Issue 6 has just arrived through my door. It looks great. It even includes Morten Harket. 

Take out subscription, guys. I guess it is a saving of 50 % in Norway and overseas. Even here in the UK, a subscription is a substantial saving on the cover price. 

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - January 21 2010 at 09:11
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 14:04
So how is the issue with Ian Anderson on the cover?
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 14:13
Could anyone who received issue #6 tell me if there is a Shadow Circus review in there? I heard that there was, and I am dying to find out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>