Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMegadeth - Prog Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Megadeth - Prog Related
    Posted: January 22 2010 at 17:00
^Few first Judas Priest albums are heavily blues-rock influenced  but really great works. Nostradamus is long and in many places sounds as prog-parody.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 15:55
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by AmericanProgster AmericanProgster wrote:

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Next it'll be Judas Priest.
Yes...in time. Anyone who has heard their first four albums (Rocka Roll, Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin after Sin, Stained Glass) as well as their two latest albums (Angel of Retribution, Nostradamus) will note very strong prog rock influences. Beyond enough to make them fit perfectly in PR, IMHO.
Clap I agree. The admins did not however.  They rejected them for prog related.

The admins might consider revising that decision after hearing Nostradamus!
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 13:31
NO.

ummmmmmmm

No.

Let me think about this.

NO.

They play fast you say?

NO.

They were technical for their time you say?

No.

They had political lyrics?

NO.

They never self-identified as prog, have never been part of the prog scene, and the closest genre, technical metal has been, by concensus, excluded from here over and over?

No

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 13:26
Originally posted by AmericanProgster AmericanProgster wrote:

Yes...in time. Anyone who has heard their first four albums (Rocka Roll, Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin after Sin, Stained Glass) as well as their two latest albums (Angel of Retribution, Nostradamus) will note very strong prog rock influences. Beyond enough to make them fit perfectly in PR, IMHO.
Clap I agree. The admins did not however.  They rejected them for prog related.
AmericanProgster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 13:22

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 13:07
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ There are no "rules" as to where we draw the line Alex because that would imply some fixed formula for entry into Prog Related and it isn't quite like that. While the definition looks as if it is a logical equation the actuality is more organic and we tend to be more selective in picking something that is "representative" rather than allowing a whole raft of like-minded bands in.

Point taken. Music as a whole is better like that IMO, but for the love of god: Megadeth do not belong here.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 11:35
Over my dead  undead body.... 

Oh well I don't have that much of a say on this issue but I'll whine and whine and cry trying to stop this addition from taking place... 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 10:47
^ There are no "rules" as to where we draw the line Alex because that would imply some fixed formula for entry into Prog Related and it isn't quite like that. While the definition looks as if it is a logical equation the actuality is more organic and we tend to be more selective in picking something that is "representative" rather than allowing a whole raft of like-minded bands in.
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 10:39
The question is though, where do we draw the line I mean, if we drew the line at Metallica, fair enough. But if we drew the line at Megadeth... that would have to allow a whole load of bands which are barely related to prog at all, not without going into the subject matter deep.

Arnold Schoenberg
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 22:42
I highly doubt that Morbid Angel are as influential as Metallica were though. Perhaps in retrospect, but most certainly not back then. I have read my lot of Metal Forces and other quality mags in the 80's to know about who were important to others back then.

It is Metallica's influential scope as well as their musical creational skills that have been lauded by including them as prog-related. There aren't too many other bands to be found with the same massive level of influence on later, full fledged progressive outfits really. Morbid Angel nah, not really. As with Death Angel they are just too obscure to have had much of an impact. In my view the latter has a stronger case though.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 18:11
Olav: About the whole related thing, Edge of Sanity are highly influenced (this needs no citation really as you can hear it) by Morbid Angel. Hell yeah man, Morbid Angel should be prog-related I'd have thought you, a collab, of all people should know it doesn't quite work like that. Cephalic Carnage (progressive grindcore band listed on the Archives) are influenced by Napalm Death and Carcass. Should we add those two to the archives as well? The reason I bring experimentation into the equation also is that Metallica aren't really progressive, or what I see as progressive anyway. They are EXPERIMENTAL, because they took Thrash to new heights. Doesn't make them progressive though really. Aphex Twin took Dance music to new heights, yet they have been turned down by progressive electronic (and for good reason too: THEY ARE NOT PROG. (or related for that matter).

Agreement on Megadeth though

jampa17:

Tool would have existed without Metallica. Metallica are not the only metal band before Tool.

Why can't I compare them? They are both metal. They are on the same site. Once again, like I said with Olav, Metallica are Prog-Related. They are there because they had an influence on Tool. However no more influence than say Sepultura and Slayer. Or even as far back as Indian classical music. By these rights should we include composers recordings such as Ustad Vilayat Kha? No. In fact, any respectful artist in music takes influence from a MYRIAD of others, from Bach to Miles Davis to Venetian Snares. If we go by the notion of "Metallica are in Prog-Related because they influenced Dream Theater", then I'm afraid to be fair, you'll have to completely clog up the entirety of Prog-Related with EVERY SINGLE MUSICIAN TO EVER LIVE.

Technical DOESN'T = Prog or Prog-Related.

Yes I can. Because Radiohead are prog. Dream Theater are prog. Metallica are not.

Raff: I do know what prog-related is, I have been here for a few years now I just think we should be stricter about it, because of my reasons given above. I hate to go against the whole site, but this is really getting out of hand now. Next it'll be Judas Priest, then Megadeth, then Status Quo, then The Rolling Stones, then Ray Charles, then Stevie Wonder, then The Red Hot Chili Peppers (because they have done an 8 minute song and use 5/4 a few times and like prog bands do that too so they must be prog-related), then BUSTED (because they have Sci-fi lyrics in that song Year 3000 and loads of Prog bands use sci-fi lyrics)... can you see where I'm going here? Maybe the philosophers are right and we are all one entity, thus making all genres prog or one of its relatives. I could be wrong. But as numerous people have said before: this isn't "Music That is Slightly Progressive Archives".

And to be honest, I don't think the fact that other sites are loose justifies opening the gates to almost every band that gets suggested. Let them do what they please. Doesn't mean to say we have to follow suite.

Rant over.

Arnold Schoenberg
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 17:11
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Last time I checked Metallica were a part of the prog-related part of the archives, and not the experimental metal part of it.

Their experimental attitudes, which was just that at the start of their career when compared to their contemporaries, as well as their profound influence on prog artists, was what made their inclusion as a related act. Among the bands openly admitting Metallica as an important influence on their musical escapades are Dream Theater.

Dismissing that aspect of their inclusion out of hand as well as drawing comparisons between what they did in the 80's with what other bands did in the 90's is a good example of comparing apples and oranges, unlogical arguments as far as I'm concerned. Kind of like dismissing The Beatles experimental and musical influences by comparing them with Electric Light Orchestra.

As far as Megadeth goes, they strike me as a much more technical than progressive outfit as such, and by the time they became well known enough to be highly influential their output had ceased most relations with prog in my opinion. Perhaps reconsidered opinion - I know I have spoken on this topic previously but don't remember what conclusion I drew then *chuckles*

You know, Olav, I believe you (and all of us) should start considering saving our breath on this issue. At this point, I am quite convinced that people ignore the 'related' part of 'prog-related' on purpose. I've tried to explain over and over again that other sites or publications are far more open than we are (there is a review of a techno album on Progression Magazine, and new age stuff is featured on quite a few sites - to name but two genres), but no one even bothered taking notice. This means that either people don't understand because they are not intelligent enough (which I don't believe it's the case), or they just don't WANT to understand.

Back to the issue at hand, I share your opinion that Megadeth are more technical than progressive. Unfortunately, many people here seem not to be able to see beyond the old, tired 'if X is here, why not Y?" shtick.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 13:36

If I'm gonna be br00tally honest (see what I did there), I never thought Metallica deserved to be on the Archives. Yes, OK, they are experimental. But experimental metal does not mean prog metal in any way. Anyone want to refer to one of our subgenres? No. The bands in the Experimental/Post-Metal genre are waaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaay more experimental than Metallica ever were. I mean look at bands like Devin Townsend, Deadsoul Tribe and Tool... I mean seriously, anyone who says Metallica are experimental to the leagues of Tool is an idiot, and Tool are a through and through progressive band.

Good music experiments. It pushes boundaries. But does that make them prog? Faith No More and Dog Fashion Disco push boundaries, but they are not listed on the Archives for good reason: THEY ARE NOT PROG. Being "progressive" is different to being "experimental", they are worlds apart.

With bands like Megadeth, I'm going to have to back Harry up on this one: they only have a few songs that I see progressive. Same goes with Metallica for me actually. And if this is the only criteria required for a band to get listed on this site, then I may as well just give up calling prog "prog" and call it "partly progressive rock" instead.

It's definitely a resounding NO for me. If Megadeth get in, then we may as well list half of the metal bands in existence as "progressive". Before you know it we'll have Sepultura, Suffocation and Morbid Angel on here and although they are fantastic bands, I find they will struggle to fit in under the same unbrella term as bands like Atheist, Edge Of Sanity and Neurosis. Even firther into it, can you seriously imagine Megadeth fitting into the same genre dedicated site as Genesis, VDGG and FRANK ZAPPA???

I'm OK with arguments but this one seems so out of place... Tool can't be compared with Metallica because without Metallica is not likely that Tool even exists... and the experimentation of Tool is accurate to their time while Metallica change the face of rock in the 80's.  Tool is only a band with good music but can't be put on the side of the most significant bands of the past or that have influenced another bands in a progressive way...

Well... Megadeth are way more technical than Metallica and they have influenced almost the same bands than Metallica... I'm OK with them... as prog-related...

and your last phrase... can you imagine a place in which Radiohead is in the same site as Dream Theater or Metallica...???!!! yes... progarchives.com...!!!

Edited by jampa17 - January 21 2010 at 13:38
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 13:23
Originally posted by TheSubhuman TheSubhuman wrote:

And what about the many, many PROG bands who would need this site's support, and are kept out by people who seem to worry about adding as many prog-related bands as they can think of? Do any of you realize that other prog sites have already added and reviewed those bands, while on the 'ultimate prog source' people are tearing each other apart over The Stranglers, Angel, Megadeth, and even DragonforceConfused?

Clap
Megadeth? , ProgArchives ?  Are you sure with all that this will be the correct name of the site in the future ?

BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 12:52
Last time I checked Metallica were a part of the prog-related part of the archives, and not the experimental metal part of it.

Their experimental attitudes, which was just that at the start of their career when compared to their contemporaries, as well as their profound influence on prog artists, was what made their inclusion as a related act. Among the bands openly admitting Metallica as an important influence on their musical escapades are Dream Theater.

Dismissing that aspect of their inclusion out of hand as well as drawing comparisons between what they did in the 80's with what other bands did in the 90's is a good example of comparing apples and oranges, unlogical arguments as far as I'm concerned. Kind of like dismissing The Beatles experimental and musical influences by comparing them with Electric Light Orchestra.

As far as Megadeth goes, they strike me as a much more technical than progressive outfit as such, and by the time they became well known enough to be highly influential their output had ceased most relations with prog in my opinion. Perhaps reconsidered opinion - I know I have spoken on this topic previously but don't remember what conclusion I drew then *chuckles*
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 11:59
If I'm gonna be br00tally honest (see what I did there), I never thought Metallica deserved to be on the Archives. Yes, OK, they are experimental. But experimental metal does not mean prog metal in any way. Anyone want to refer to one of our subgenres? No. The bands in the Experimental/Post-Metal genre are waaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaay more experimental than Metallica ever were. I mean look at bands like Devin Townsend, Deadsoul Tribe and Tool... I mean seriously, anyone who says Metallica are experimental to the leagues of Tool is an idiot, and Tool are a through and through progressive band.

Good music experiments. It pushes boundaries. But does that make them prog? Faith No More and Dog Fashion Disco push boundaries, but they are not listed on the Archives for good reason: THEY ARE NOT PROG. Being "progressive" is different to being "experimental", they are worlds apart.

With bands like Megadeth, I'm going to have to back Harry up on this one: they only have a few songs that I see progressive. Same goes with Metallica for me actually. And if this is the only criteria required for a band to get listed on this site, then I may as well just give up calling prog "prog" and call it "partly progressive rock" instead.

It's definitely a resounding NO for me. If Megadeth get in, then we may as well list half of the metal bands in existence as "progressive". Before you know it we'll have Sepultura, Suffocation and Morbid Angel on here and although they are fantastic bands, I find they will struggle to fit in under the same unbrella term as bands like Atheist, Edge Of Sanity and Neurosis. Even firther into it, can you seriously imagine Megadeth fitting into the same genre dedicated site as Genesis, VDGG and FRANK ZAPPA???

Arnold Schoenberg
sdp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 10:13

I see that metallica are on this site, but can't understand why megadeth are not.  After all dave mustaine was once a member of that band.  I think that megadeth have more prog leanings than metallica and are as good a band.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 04:33
As much as I'd support introducing Megadeth here, I'd be forced to admit that it's mainly because I really like their albums.

As for whether they're prog or even related, I doubt that even Rust in Peace qualifies.

Metallica was introduced here mainly because they were progressive in what they were doing and not so much in musical style. As Megadeth is mainly a revenge band created to kick Metallica in the nuts with similar (albeit better) music, it's evident that the originality aspect doesn't apply at all. And that leaves no prog credibilty for Megadeth.

That being said, musically I rate Megadeth MUCH higher than Metallica.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 13:01
I also was not keen on Metallica's addition, but partially because an argument being used was that it influenced Prog Metal bands such as DT, whereas I felt that that the Prog in Prog Metal (using DT as an example) owed more to bands such as Yes than Metallica (Metallica being more an influence on metal generally than on the Prog part of the equation).  That said, I do think that Metallica showed some Progtitude itself in music, rather than just being progressive.  If it was just about being progressive, then we'd include various 50's rock and roll artists for their influence on rock.

That said, the parameters for what can be considered Prog is expanding, and with that comes what can be considered Prog-Related and Proto-Prog (though a core criteria of both now is that it must be demonstrated that they influenced Prog -- I had thought that Prog_Related was intended more for those that were influenced by Prog rather than influencing it, but I think that changed).  Some wanted Metallica to be in a Proto-Prog Metal category, but to me that didn't make much sense.

I'm very inclusive, and don't really mind the addition at all.  As long as Prog-Related additions are well-balanced (the various categories related artists are as well and equally represented as makes sense, then I'm happy).

Edited by Logan - August 19 2009 at 13:04
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 09:16

Should be album added just because it's wanted by many and people like it?

We shouldn't also rate all albums we like with 5 stars, right ?

Both I don't think so. But I must confess that I don't like idea of Metallica here. It took them few years to get here, thru polls and endless posts.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>