Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Rock's "Prog Rock" Magazine
    Posted: January 13 2017 at 11:01
Latest issue has an incredibly good tribute to Greg Lake by Sid Smith. Great journalism, and here's hoping we get to see more now it has been purchased by Future.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:36
^ More of a 'build it, sell it for a pound, buy it back for 10p' strategy when you get right down to it.  Nice trick if you can pull it off.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:27
Good news, but an interesting quote:

“The acquisition of these classic rock brands with their associated magazines, events and websites marks a further step in our buy and build strategy,” said Zillah Byng-Thorne, chief executive of Future.

Funny that, given that they flogged the things back in 2013 to Team Rock
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:12
'Prog' magazine has been saved: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/08/heir-guitars-rock-and-metal-music-publisher-teamrock-savedClap Approve Thumbs Up

Fantastic news indeed! - Classic Rock and Prog magazines have been given a new lease of life after being saved from closure by Future Publishing, their former owner, who currently publishes titles including Guitarist, Total Guitarist, Total Film, T3 and Rhythm magazines.

Future have picked up the magazines, events and licence for the Team Rock digital radio service for £800,000, having originally sold the titles to TeamRock for £10.2m in 2013.

The not-so-good news is that only a handful of staff have so far been guaranteed jobs in the transition of the TeamRock business, handled by administrators FRP Advisory, although ongoing negotiations could allow more move to Future.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 12:48
I saw this on my Facebook feed the other day.  http://www.wlup.com/2016/12/23/rush-join-bands-in-supporting-team-rock/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 12:41
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I had no idea but it is bad news.  Whatever its faults, it is amazing that a regular magazine devoted to prog rock can be found in shops all over the country.

I totally agree.....even with all it's faults it promoted prog rock and new artists as well.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 08:33
And it's not just the magazine. They finally gave Prog its own special night, an annual awards ceremony which honoured the best of the year, and said thank you to the legends of the past, most of whom would be generally ignored by the mainstream media.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 02:52
I had no idea but it is bad news.  Whatever its faults, it is amazing that a regular magazine devoted to prog rock can be found in shops all over the country.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 16:44
A truly sad day for those concerned about the commercial aspect of rock music. One can like or dislike the priorities given by the magazines Team Rock had, but they did make these genres and numerous artists active in them visible in a manner no-one else has managed for decades. One can only hope, for the sake of the employees just as much as for the sake of the genres these magazines covered, that someone else decides to step in and take if not all then at least most of them over.
The Prog mag have done magnificent work in giving limelight and spotlight to their chosen genre, I see the footprints they have left on a fairly constant basis when reading mainstream media. For the sake of this type of music specifically I hope that the Prog mag is one that will be saved.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 16:04
Never been a fan of the magazine, but the callous way in which the employees were shown the door, a few days before Christmas, saddened me deeply (I read about it on the ProgEars forum). Hope they will find something else as soon as possible.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 15:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Team Rock have gone into receivership so unless a buyer can be found Classic Rock presents Prog magazine will be no more.

Blimey. Bad news, for sure.

A couple of issues ago, they ditched the fancy gatefold cover, so I suppose that was the harbinger of things not being so healthy.

Let's hope a buyer can be found.
Does this mean that rock is dead? Confused

It means that in the present era, print magazines face a bloody hard job to survive.

Oh, and to clarify Dean's original post, the parent company has gone into administration, meaning that they are actively seeking buyers for a, hopefully, ongoing business. However, having just read the news on BBC website after Dean's post, and looking at the financial figures in terms of losses and decline in turnover, it does not look too hopeful.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 15:37
That is a bummer.  I am a regular reader of both Classic Rock and Prog magazines and get many great suggestions from them.  I guess that I am kind of glad that my buying has been month to month at the newstand versus prepaying the subscription and getting screwed out of my money.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 15:16
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Team Rock have gone into receivership so unless a buyer can be found Classic Rock presents Prog magazine will be no more.

A couple of issues ago, they ditched the fancy gatefold cover, so I suppose that was the harbinger of things not being so healthy.

Does this mean that rock is dead? Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 15:13

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 14:53
What?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 04:08
I'd eagerly read it for free but wouldn't pay for it. (Joking aside, libraries should get it as a magazine which chronicles more cerebral forms of popular music.)

The reason I wouldn't pay is though it's entertaining a lot of the content is over-familiar and a bit reheated. Most features I feel like I've read before, it's a bit too mainstream/nostalgic. If they went a bit more way-out there I would reconsider purchasing it.
Rael Voicefm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 03:45
I agree that these threads are for discussion not advertising
and i am NOT advertising when i say i am a Dj of a prog rock show - in ballarat australia - and i feature as many prog rock acts as i can and do a history of each and more.....its 99.9 voicefm ballarat but streamed at www.voicefm.com.au on wednesday night 10pm to 12pm eastern standard times australia and i use prog rock mag as a source for my show and also play the cds with new acts and compare them to older ones etc

i see my show as a chance to educate this generation in the history of prog rock in general

Up to show 70 now and am re editing each two hour show to be syndicated around australia. If you are part of a regional or community based - voluntary based network and would like copies of the show (anywhere in the world)  email me at [email protected]

We are volunteers and do it cos we love music
and i love prog and that is why i buy this mag
but lots of mags have too many ads
and need to listen to their readers not their advertisers
so hopefully the people who make this mag
listen and act
because thats how things get better - or worse -if they dont listen
thanks
Rael
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 00:55
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

From what I've seen, it's yet another glossy mag that simply regurgitates popular taste and incorrect history. For want of a nail a Kingdom was lost.

I've got a few issues. It's a good read if it covers bands you like, like the Thin Lizzy issue a couple years back. I stopped buying it regularly because it's not cheap.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 16:23
From what I've seen, it's yet another glossy mag that simply regurgitates popular taste and incorrect history. For want of a nail a Kingdom was lost.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 00:48
The CDs are pretty good and I was introduced by listening to them to some great bands and even artists contacted me after reviews of the mag CDs. So there is a good case to be made for the CDs though they are of more recent prog, no classics really. The interviews are good enough and you learn about whats out there in one swoop rather than scouring pages and pages of internet sites. It  is worth getting issues for posterity - it doesnt come out every week so becomes affordable as a quaterly magazine. Its the quality that makes the difference.
The facebook of the mag is interesting too. Some good responses...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>