Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Let's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime
    Posted: December 14 2013 at 10:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Lets talk Operation LIVEcrime.

Anybody have either the DVD or the album?? I think it's their best live performance of all time, especially for this album.
1991 was a great touring year for the Ryche. :)

Operation:LIVEcrime was recorded before the Empire tour, but you're still right. They were an incredible live act in '91. I saw them twice in Long Beach and those were two of the best shows I've seen by any band. They peaked early in their career, but it was one helluva peak!

Have you seen the pre-Warning Tokyo concert from '84? That's amazing, too!

Oh yes. They even did some 'MYTH' material when they were Myth. :)
I like The Prophesy.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 10:36
^^

I new you 2 would get it. What a performance. The crowd was so loud too!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 23:14

Anybody have either the DVD or the album?? I think it's their best live performance of all time, especially for this album.

Operation:LIVEcrime was recorded before the Empire tour, but you're still right. They were an incredible live act in '91. I saw them twice in Long Beach and those were two of the best shows I've seen by any band. They peaked early in their career, but it was one helluva peak!

Have you seen the pre-Warning Tokyo concert from '84? That's amazing, too!
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 17:46

Absolutely spectacular performance, you simply watch through amazed at the passion and delivery.
Especially in Suite Sister Mary there are no words to describe...
The Glide View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 17:37
On paper: a classic. In reality: Great concept, but musically not everything seems to work.
I've created an atmosphere where I'm friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2013 at 15:47
I got Operation Mindcrime about 3 years ago as I was collecting the top prog albums on this site (I think it was sitting around 100 at the time--and still is). I'm not much of a hair metal fan, so I didn't like it at first, but a few more listens changed my mind. Super concept album! So far though, can't really get into any of their other music.
Z
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 21:36

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 08:43
That sounds like a better idea than starting a charter school and calling it Operation: Mindcrime.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 23:54
I wanted to start a software company and call it Screaming In Digital.
Tongue
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 07:52
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I loved RfO so much that I was actually disappointed with O:M!

Rage For Order is absolutely unbelievable. Hey. Did you that David Ogilvie produced that album? He is responsible for helping a lot of my other favourites like Skinny Puppy, Frontline assembly and NIN find their sound.
Brilliant album. I could talk about it till I'm blue in the face.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 21:56
I loved RfO so much that I was actually disappointed with O:M!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
surrogate people View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 14:38
Rage for order was one of the fundamental albums of my teenage years. I still think that no band has ever made an album similar to that one (including Queensryche, of course). When Mindcrime came out, I loved it , but in a way is more of a conventional heavy metal record But better produced than former albums
Surrogate People they walk on by, they walk on by
When they replace you
They live your life, they live your life
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 22:01
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I've been getting some more prog metal recently (before I mainly only knew Dream Theater, and some Ayreon, and if you consider them prog metal, bands like Rhapsody, Nightwish, Epica, etc, though I didn't get them because of any prog metal credentials). However, I just got some Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Haken, Symphony X. Besides getting a few more albums from this same bands, one of the things I have next in my to get list is this very album because of it's reputation (and Tool's "Laterallus" too, I guess).

On the right track mr. Dude Dellinger.

Hey. Check out Animals as Leaders, Devin Townsend and Agalloch.
More on the experimental side of prog metal, but I'm sure it'll blow your hair back. ;)

Yeah, I've been interested on Animals as Leaders also, though that would be for after getting the albums I said. I have even been somewhat interested in Devin Townsend too, but I don't really like grunting and growling and such things, and I believe he does some of that, so I'm not really sure I'd like him... I think the album I thought from him is "Terria", in case I decided to give him a try, but I'd like to know more about how much extreme vocals he uses. I hadn't thoght about Agalloch, though I believe I'd read something about them, yet not so sure. Oh yeah, another band I might be wanting to get something from is Fates Warning, since I've read they are suposed to be the fathers of Prog Metal along with Queensryche (or perhaps I could say both this bands are the grandparents of prog metal, and Dream Theater are the fathers?).
Have you listened to King's X?  They have output from the same time period that I consider part of the building blocks to prog metal. 

No, I haven't heard them. Though I have heard about them... not much really, but I did know about their existence. I guess I'll check them out, though first I check out Queensryche, then Fates Warning, and then Kings X.
If you want to check out Kings X, you might want to check out this deal of 5 albums for $22.99.  Not sure how that translates with shipping but it is a great deal.  http://www.wowhd.us/CD/kings-x-original-album-series/dp/34717471#bc=2677

Mmm... I hadn't actually thought about getting into those guys. I was thinking about getting something from Queensryche, Fates Warning, Devin Townsend, Tool, and perhaps Animals as Leaders. As well as getting some more from Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Haken, and Ayreon. And as far as box-sets go, I was thinking about getting Black Sabbath's Dio years one (I got Rainbow's Rising and really liked Dio's singing a lot, so...).
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 16:54

I've been getting some more prog metal recently (before I mainly only knew Dream Theater, and some Ayreon, and if you consider them prog metal, bands like Rhapsody, Nightwish, Epica, etc, though I didn't get them because of any prog metal credentials). However, I just got some Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Haken, Symphony X. Besides getting a few more albums from this same bands, one of the things I have next in my to get list is this very album because of it's reputation (and Tool's "Laterallus" too, I guess).

More on the experimental side of prog metal, but I'm sure it'll blow your hair back. ;)

Yeah, I've been interested on Animals as Leaders also, though that would be for after getting the albums I said. I have even been somewhat interested in Devin Townsend too, but I don't really like grunting and growling and such things, and I believe he does some of that, so I'm not really sure I'd like him... I think the album I thought from him is "Terria", in case I decided to give him a try, but I'd like to know more about how much extreme vocals he uses. I hadn't thoght about Agalloch, though I believe I'd read something about them, yet not so sure. Oh yeah, another band I might be wanting to get something from is Fates Warning, since I've read they are suposed to be the fathers of Prog Metal along with Queensryche (or perhaps I could say both this bands are the grandparents of prog metal, and Dream Theater are the fathers?).
Have you listened to King's X?  They have output from the same time period that I consider part of the building blocks to prog metal. 

No, I haven't heard them. Though I have heard about them... not much really, but I did know about their existence. I guess I'll check them out, though first I check out Queensryche, then Fates Warning, and then Kings X.
If you want to check out Kings X, you might want to check out this deal of 5 albums for $22.99.  Not sure how that translates with shipping but it is a great deal.  http://www.wowhd.us/CD/kings-x-original-album-series/dp/34717471#bc=2677
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 01:22
Originally posted by Nighteyes Nighteyes wrote:

This was actually one of the very first records I bought, around 1999 or so when I first got into metal (I was about 15 years old)... I had been listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica, and went into the record store and started browsing...  I'd never heard of Queensryche, but I loved the cover.  Really awesome local music store (which has since turned into a butchers shop Angry)I asked the owner if I could put it on, listened to the first few tracks and was like "I need this album in my life!!"I still give it the occasional play now, some of the tracks are definitely stronger than others...  The song which always gives me goosebumps is the last one, Eyes Of A Stranger... Just a fantastic song.I didn't really consider it 'prog metal' at the time, just a really cool metal album.  Looking back on my early music choices from my teenage years I always gravitated towards the more proggy stuff without even realizing it!...  Sub-consious at work perhaps?Great album, and a really good 'gateway' album for progressive material...

Awesome story. Glad the album hit you like a ton of bricks.
Too bad about that Butcher shop take over...we don't need more meat...we need more music outlets!! Lol
Nighteyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 03:12
This was actually one of the very first records I bought, around 1999 or so when I first got into metal (I was about 15 years old)... I had been listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica, and went into the record store and started browsing...  I'd never heard of Queensryche, but I loved the cover.  Really awesome local music store (which has since turned into a butchers shop Angry)

I asked the owner if I could put it on, listened to the first few tracks and was like "I need this album in my life!!"

I still give it the occasional play now, some of the tracks are definitely stronger than others...  The song which always gives me goosebumps is the last one, Eyes Of A Stranger... Just a fantastic song.

I didn't really consider it 'prog metal' at the time, just a really cool metal album.  Looking back on my early music choices from my teenage years I always gravitated towards the more proggy stuff without even realizing it!...  Sub-consious at work perhaps?

Great album, and a really good 'gateway' album for progressive material...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 21:29

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 21:26

I like the 1991 live album performance of Mindcrime the best....it's Livecrime!
Nothing beats it, bit even the studio version of the album. ;)

Yeah, I found about the live version of the album, but I thought it would be better to get the original studio one. However, I must admit it's not unusual that I like live versions of songs better... and even live versions of albums. Mainly I like it when the music is performed with more energy and extended instrumental passages. So, in the end, should I actually better get the live version instead of the studio one?

Get it all man!!! Their is still a great deluxe version of Mincrime that houses a live version and original studio recording of the album. Also contains a DVD documentary and videos as well. ;)
Priced around 25$-30$ u.s but it's all you need man. Highly worth it. ;)

Thanks!!! I guess when I get around looking for that album, I'll check out this edition you say, sounds interesting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 15:15
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Let's not forget that Queensryche ended in 1994 - any discussion beyond that year will be considered heretic AngryBy the way, to reply to the OP, I think it is the pristine performance of the band and the passion that Tate sings that make this album so unique - his connection to the concept is obvious

I couldn't agree with you more about Queensr˙che not doing anything wonderful or even listenable for the last 19 years.

But, there is one little glimmer of hope now. Have you heard X2 minus Tate?

I was shocked when I listen to it because it's not that bad, but it isn't great either.
My point is that it is listenable and I haven't been able to go through an entire Ryche album in years!
It's the best album Queensr˙che have done in 19 years. I'd give it a 3/5.
Check out the songs Open road, spore and Where Dreams Go to Die.
I'd love to know what you think I mean because Queensr˙che really played it safe and strongly reverted back to their old sound. 39min album too!
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 15:05
Let's not forget that Queensryche ended in 1994 - any discussion beyond that year will be considered heretic Angry

By the way, to reply to the OP, I think it is the pristine performance of the band and the passion that Tate sings that make this album so unique - his connection to the concept is obvious
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>