Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBob Dylan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Was Bob Dylan's folk rock era proto-prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [13.95%]
37 [86.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 10:04
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Originally posted by The Antique The Antique wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Influential for sure.But calling him (Proto) Progressive? That would be rather silly.

Agreed.

thirded

fourded . . . or fourthed?

I'll be number five.
Why don't we add Little Richard or Willie Dixon? Wacko
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 10:23
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

^ There's no doubt in my mind that Bob Dylan was somewhat influential to the development of progressive rock, but c'mon - he's Bob Dylan. One of the most influential musicians of all times, you'd be hard-pressed to find a genre (out of those emerged in the 70's) that he hasn't influenced (at least) undirectly. He didn't specifically influence prog, he influenced everything around him.

Originally posted by alter-Jimbo alter-Jimbo wrote:

^ There's no doubt in my mind that the Beatles were somewhat influential to the development of progressive rock, but c'mon - they're the Beatles. One of the most influential bands of all times, you'd be hard-pressed to find a genre (out of those emerged in the 70's) that they haven't influenced (at least) undirectly. They didn't specifically influence prog, They influenced everything around them.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 13:22
In terms of influence an argument could be made that Dylan is already here in the Archives.  Here are some of the albums that include either covers of Dylan tunes, or tributes to his music.  What's interesting is the wide range of genres represented, not just Prog Folk:

Syd Barrett – Wouldn’t You Miss Me?
Improved Sound Limited - Improved Sound Limited
Fairport Convention –
Unhalfbricking
Spirit –
Spirit of ’76
The Nice - The Nice
Steve Hackett –
Wild Orchids
Frank Zappa –
Sheik Yerbouti
Dalton (RPI) -  Argitar
Tir na Nog –
Spotlight
Emerson, Lake and Palmer – In the Hot Seat
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band –
Solar Fire
Fortheringay - Fotheringay
Blackmore’s Night –
Fires at Midnight
Refugee – Live in Concert, Newcastle City Hall
Aviv Geffen –
Journal
Blood Sweat & Tears –
New Blood
RPWL –
The RPWL Experience
Greg Lake - Greg Lake
Golden Earring –
Love Sweat
The Nice – Elegy
Fabrizio de Andrθ
+ PFM in Concerto, Vol 2
Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland
Jeff Beck –
The Jeff Beck Group
Dragontears – Tambourine Freak Machine
Jan Akkerman –
From the Basement
I Califfi – Il Meglio
Robert Wyatt – Shleep Music
Brian Auger – Open
S Vremena Na Vrema – Unplugged
Arc – Bell + ACR
Todd Rundgren –Faithful
Roger Waters – Flickering Flame
Fairport Convention – Red and Gold

Tito Schipa, Jr – Dylaniato

Albert Camus
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 13:59

Who's next : Johnny Cash ?

The Beatles, Metallica, Deep Purple are here. So add another artist that is not prog to this site would not surprise me. 
I don't think that adding a band/artist just on the basis of its influence on prog bands is a valid argument. In fact the above-mentioned bands inspired many more non-prog bands than prog bands. Prog is a sponge that becomes soaked with elements taken from classical music, jazz, rock, folk, blues so if we want to extend the proto-prog subgenre with all the roots of prog we can go back to Robert Johnson, Earl Hines, Dave Brubeck, Johann Sebastian Bach, Varθse, Lygeti, Beethoven, and of course Bob Dylan.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 16:48
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

In terms of influence an argument could be made that Dylan is already here in the Archives.  Here are some of the albums that include either covers of Dylan tunes, or tributes to his music.  What's interesting is the wide range of genres represented, not just Prog Folk:

Syd Barrett – Wouldn’t You Miss Me?
Improved Sound Limited - Improved Sound Limited
Fairport Convention –
Unhalfbricking
Spirit –
Spirit of ’76
The Nice - The Nice
Steve Hackett –
Wild Orchids
Frank Zappa –
Sheik Yerbouti
Dalton (RPI) -  Argitar
Tir na Nog –
Spotlight
Emerson, Lake and Palmer – In the Hot Seat
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band –
Solar Fire
Fortheringay - Fotheringay
Blackmore’s Night –
Fires at Midnight
Refugee – Live in Concert, Newcastle City Hall
Aviv Geffen –
Journal
Blood Sweat & Tears –
New Blood
RPWL –
The RPWL Experience
Greg Lake - Greg Lake
Golden Earring –
Love Sweat
The Nice – Elegy
Fabrizio de Andrθ
+ PFM in Concerto, Vol 2
Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland
Jeff Beck –
The Jeff Beck Group
Dragontears – Tambourine Freak Machine
Jan Akkerman –
From the Basement
I Califfi – Il Meglio
Robert Wyatt – Shleep Music
Brian Auger – Open
S Vremena Na Vrema – Unplugged
Arc – Bell + ACR
Todd Rundgren –Faithful
Roger Waters – Flickering Flame
Fairport Convention – Red and Gold

Tito Schipa, Jr – Dylaniato

Amazing! We should stop whining about adding him in the database and just putting this list somewhere on the site where it can be seen.

If I was allowed to add just one prog song to PA from non-prog artists, I would chose "Like A Rolling Stone" from Dylan.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 17:40

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

^ There's no doubt in my mind that Bob Dylan was somewhat influential to the development of progressive rock, but c'mon - he's Bob Dylan. One of the most influential musicians of all times, you'd be hard-pressed to find a genre (out of those emerged in the 70's) that he hasn't influenced (at least) undirectly. He didn't specifically influence prog, he influenced everything around him.

Originally posted by alter-Jimbo alter-Jimbo wrote:

^ There's no doubt in my mind that the Beatles were somewhat influential to the development of progressive rock, but c'mon - they're the Beatles. One of the most influential bands of all times, you'd be hard-pressed to find a genre (out of those emerged in the 70's) that they haven't influenced (at least) undirectly. They didn't specifically influence prog, They influenced everything around them.

True enough, but I don't think they can (or indeed should) be compared. The Beatles wrote several 'proggy' songs (I Want You, Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day in the Life, I Am the Walrus, Tomorrow Never Knows etc. etc.), whereas I've yet to hear a Bob Dylan composition that actually bears any resemblance to progressive rock as it is traditionally seen. If you can name a Bob Dylan song that is on par with these in terms of influence and level of complexity - I'm all ears. Smile Don't get me wrong, I definitely hear Dylan's influence in many prog-folk records, but as far as I'm concerned, he never really influenced the prog aspects of those records. Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing, I'm dead tired. Sleepy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 18:03
you rock Bob...    I think there are a FEW more artists and bands that should be added that are more in line with the site ..especially from a musical angle.  I agree though..  it would be wrong to dismiss out of hand.  I think he is one whose influence was so huge ..that he touched prog just by shear weight of influence across music.     

Edited by micky - August 21 2009 at 18:04
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 20:10

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you rock Bob...    I think there are a FEW more artists and bands that should be added that are more in line with the site ..especially from a musical angle.  I agree though..  it would be wrong to dismiss out of hand.  I think he is one whose influence was so huge ..that he touched prog just by shear weight of influence across music.     

Honestly Micky I don't have a strong opinion either way about whether Dylan gets added - his influence and body of work really transcends any particular genre anyway.  I just wanted to make the point that Proto-prog is all about recognizing bands that contributed to the music we enjoy today; and even if some of us don't think Dylan was a huge part of prog's development, the list above proves that a lot of the artists we listen to seem to acknowledge his influence.

Love the new avatar BTW Wink

Albert Camus
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 20:10
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

+1

+2
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 20:36
Interesting replies and thank you Clemoofnazereth that is what made me think he would fit in that category. Although I only think Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde should be on the site... if that's possible.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 20:43
Oh and by the way, this is the site that though METALLICA influenced prog! And we're looking at Bob Dylan like he's an outsider
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 21:14

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Honestly Micky I don't have a strong opinion either way about whether Dylan gets added - his influence and body of work really transcends any particular genre anyway.  I just wanted to make the point that Proto-prog is all about recognizing bands that contributed to the music we enjoy today; and even if some of us don't think Dylan was a huge part of prog's development, the list above proves that a lot of the artists we listen to seem to acknowledge his influence.

Love the new avatar BTW Wink

hahha.. yeah.... HOGAAAAN!!!!!! LOL

to be honest.. I don't really have much of an opinion other than .. nope..  not now at least.   As I posted before...  the absence of the Velvet Underground makes the whole notion of Proto-Prog a farce as far as this site is concerned.  Any other additions.. with that one NOT added...  just makes it even more farcical.  Does anyone REALLY want to deny the DIRECT influence the VU had on prog.. .didn't think so.  Get the big ones out of the way... then the site can nitpick over ones like this. 

I guess that is my opinion... but I do agree with you... it does have merit enough to be seriously discussed...down the road when the biggies are done and added.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 21:47

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Oh and by the way, this is the site that though METALLICA influenced prog!

Albert Camus
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 22:13

Oh and by the way, this is the site that though METALLICA influenced prog! And we're looking at Bob Dylan like he's an outsider

You're still fairly new here, so I'll fill you in now . . .

We don't buy the "if x is here, then y should also be here" argument. Just because one band is here that you may consider an outsider does not automatically give your suggestion any more right to be included.

Dylan is very influential, that is obvious, but when you said he sounded like Roger Waters, I nearly fell off of my couch.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 22:28

We don't buy the "if x is here, then y should also be here" argument. Just because one band is here that you may consider an outsider does not automatically give your suggestion any more right to be included.

Dylan is very influential, that is obvious, but when you said he sounded like Roger Waters, I nearly fell off of my couch.
Oh, my bad. Ouch But I still think he sounds like Waters, solo stuff at least not including Radio KAOS.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 22:59

Oh, my bad. Ouch But I still think he sounds like Waters, solo stuff at least not including Radio KAOS.

Well, obviously, a person's 'sound' is all opinion, anyhow. I was just explaining why I put my rofl emoticon up there. Wasn't at you personally. Wink
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 23:03
To be fair,  they both have a more gravelly, shouty sound?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 23:29
^ Well, if you want my opinion, the only similarity between the two is that they are great songwriters who can't sing for sh!t, but that's of course arguable. 
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 01:14

Bob Dylan was certainly influential, but adding him in proto prog would bit a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

And I think he influenced more folk side of Prog Folk than prog side.

And don't use Black Sabbath as a counter-argument because I disagree with their inclusion.

of course, there are aspects (minuscule) of his work that even influenced The Prog Way Of Thinking Itself: he did long songs (so did Guthrie), he electrified folk (so did Simon & Garfunkel)...But those aspects are very scarce and incidental.

Dylan-->CSNY-->Yes.
Chuck Berry-->Beatles-->Purple-->Maiden-->Dream Theater.

The list goes on and on...

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 06:16
As far as addressing complex adult themes in lyrics that are but a kick in the butt off credible poetry, he was of course quite revolutionary. I don't think we would recognise any contemporary song lyrics without the influence of Dylan. However I'm thinking of some very perceptive comments by PA's Toaster Mantis here when he suggests that Dylan's music is stylistically simple but thematically far more complex than even the instrumental complexity of many of our prog idols. But no, I don't think inclusion for ol' big nose even by virtue of his 'rocky' era output would be justified.

Oh, I almost forgot, if Dylan sounds like Roger Waters then my air conditioning unit is the greatest unsigned act in the history of prog.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>