FLICKERING FLAME - THE SOLO YEARS 1

Roger Waters Flickering Flame - The Solo Years 1 album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy ROGER WATERS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2002

1. Knockin' On Heaven's Door (4:04)
2. Too Much Rope (5:11)
3. The Tide Is Turning (5:24)
4. Perfect Sense Part I & II (7:21)
5. Three Wishes (6:48)
6. Every Stranger's Eyes (4:47)
7. Who Needs Information (5:54)
8. Each Small Candle (8:34)
9. Flickering Flame (new demo) (6:44)
10. Towers Of Faith (6:51)
11. Radio Waves (4:30)
12. Lost Boys Calling (original demo) (4:04)

Search ROGER WATERS Flickering Flame - The Solo Years 1 lyrics

Search ROGER WATERS Flickering Flame - The Solo Years 1 tabs

Columbia Records is releasing "Flickering Flame - The Solo Years, Volume 1," the first-ever overview of the solo musical career of rock legend and PINK FLOYD founder Roger Waters. Personally supervised by Waters, "Flickering Flame - The Solo Years, Volume 1" has been assembled from the original master recordings by PINK FLOYD/Roger Waters producer James Guthrie.

The selections for "Flickering Flame - The Solo Years, Volume 1" are culled from all of Water's solo albums -- "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" (1984), "Radio K.A.O.S." (1987), "Amused To Death" (1992), and "In The Flesh - Live" (2000)

Columbia/Sony #5079069

ROGER WATERS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ROGER WATERS Flickering Flame - The Solo Years 1 Music

Radio KaosRadio Kaos
Sbme Special Mkts. 1987
Flickering Flame - Solo YearsFlickering Flame - Solo Years
Sony Bmg Europe 2001
ROGER WATERS 'THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCH HIKING' 12-TRACK CD US $8.09 Buy It Now 1h 21m
ZABRISKIE POINT (2 CD) SOUNDTRACK ~ PINK FLOYD (DAVID GILMOUR/ROGER WATERS *NEW* US $17.83 Buy It Now 1h 25m
NM! ROGER WATERS-PINK FLOYD Flickering Flame JAPAN PROMO-ONLY CASSETTE :SICP-122 US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
ROGER WATERS The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking LP 1c 064-2401051 1984 DMM EX+ US $64.85 Buy It Now 3h 25m
ROGER WATERS - THE WALL: LIVE IN BERLIN, 1990 [REMASTERED] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $13.48 Buy It Now 4h 3m
roger waters - the wall - live in berlin - MERCURY 1980 - UNPLAYED US $99.00 [0 bids]
Ron Geesin Roger Waters / Music from BodyLP 1st Harvest Press UK EMI Pink Floyd US $28.04 Buy It Now 5h 46m
ROGER WATERS/THE WHO - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE ADVERT) (REF GD) US $6.41 Buy It Now 7h 14m
ROGER WATERS Radio K.A.O.S. CD BRAND NEW KAOS Pink Floyd US $13.30 Buy It Now 7h 27m
ROGER WATERS AMUSED TO DEATH RIDICULOUSLY RARE CD / LP COVER ART POSTER FLOYD US $54.95 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Pink Floyd rare collectible 2 lp knobs 1977 England classic rock roger waters US $38.00 [12 bids]
EX 1987 Pink Floyd ROGER WATERS ~ RADIO KAOS LP Vinyl Record ~ Columbia FC40795 US $13.99 Buy It Now 11h 23m
PINK FLOYD Meddle US PRESSING Vintage CASSETTE Tape 4XW 832 psych ROGER WATERS US $6.00 [0 bids]
Roger Waters Columbia 45 Record #07180 NM Going To Live In L.A. / Radio Waves US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 52m
Pink Floyd Relics LP Record Vinyl & Jacket Harvest SW-759 1971 Roger Waters US $45.00 Buy It Now 12h 22m
ROGER WATERS - WHAT GOD WANTS, PART 1 CD 1992 CSK 4607 SINGLE US $9.49 Buy It Now 12h 40m
PINK FLOYD MEDDLE HARVEST SHVL 795 GATEFOLD TEXTURED SLEEVE ROGER WATERS RARE LP US $53.52 [13 bids]
PINK FLOYD MORE SOUNDTRACK ROGER WATERS BARBET SCHROEDER US $4.99 [0 bids]
MARIANNE FAITHFULL Sparrows Will Sing UK 1-trk promo test CD Roger Waters US $8.09 [1 bids]
CD-Roger Waters-Music from..Pink floyd prog psych US $9.99 [0 bids]
VERY RARE - PINK FLOYD - ROGER WATERS - ORIGINAL HAND SIGNED AUTOGRAPH US $40.53 [1 bids]
ROGER WATERS 2CD Flickering Flame 2002 OOP CD Japan SICP-122 PINK FLOYD US $16.81 [1 bids]
ROGER WATERS 2CD In The Flesh 2000 OOP CD Japan SRCS-2393/4 PINK FLOYD US $16.81 [1 bids]
PINK FLOYD ROGER WATERS VIDEOS Lot Pack Live Concerts Movie PSYCH ROCK AMBIENT US $31.59 Buy It Now 17h 45m
ROGER WATERS CD LOT OF 3! AMUSED TO DEATH,RADIO KAOS,PROS & CONS OF HITCHHIKING US $6.00 [1 bids]
ROGER WATERS Radio Waves LP 12 Inch Single 1987 Columbia CAS 2723 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Roger Waters Radio K.A.O.S. Pink Floyd Promo Japan US $89.99 Buy It Now 19h
ROGER WATERS *RADIO K.A.O.S * ORIGINAL 1987 CD ALBUM IN EXCELLENT CONDITION US $17.60 Buy It Now 20h 23m
PINK FLOYD A Collection of Great Dance Songs NM AL 37680 Roger Waters Gilmour US $18.95 Buy It Now 21h 44m
ROGER WATERS PINK FLOYD THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCH HIKING / IN SHRINK WITH OBI US $149.99 Buy It Now 22h 40m
ROGER WATERS (PINK FLOYD) - "CA IRA" 2-CD 2005 1st US PROMO NM (Sony Classical) US $22.88 Buy It Now 23h 20m
Roger waters trust us rock progressive t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 23h 57m
Roger waters trust us 2 rock progressive t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 23h 58m
Roger waters trust us 3 rock progressive t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 23h 58m
Roger waters trust 4 us rock progressive t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 23h 58m
In The Flesh Live - Roger Waters US $14.45 Buy It Now 1 day
ROGER WATERS RADIO K.A.O.S. REMASTERED CD NEW US $17.14 Buy It Now 1 day
ROGER WATERS AMUSED TO DEATH CD NEW US $11.73 Buy It Now 1 day
ROGER WATERS IN THE FLESH LIVE 2 CD NEW US $15.34 Buy It Now 1 day
ROGER WATERS IN THE FLESH LIVE 2 CD & DVD PAL NEW US $25.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Waters Wall Japan Laserdisc 96 Reissue Pink Floyd US $79.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MEGA RARE-ROGER WATERS-"AMUSED TO DEATH" 1 PRESS,COLUMBIA 1992. US $142.50 [8 bids]
7" 45 w/PS ROGER WATERS The Tide Is Turning - Money NM EM-37 UK ORIG EB678 US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
roger waters radio waves album US $6.99 [0 bids]
roger waters pros and cons of hitchhiking album US $5.99 [0 bids]
ROGER WATERS-RADIO WAVES - 12" Vinyl (Radio Waves/Going to Live in L.A.) 44 0681 US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Waters - Music From The Body [CD New] US $13.72 Buy It Now 1 day
New Pink Floyd Calendar 2007 MINT Sealed Roger Waters David Gilmour Nick Mason US $24.31 [0 bids]
Roger Waters - In The Flesh [CD New] US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ça Ira, Roger Waters, Good Enhanced US $9.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Pink Floyd shine on box set 9 cd ,ltd deleted , Roger Waters ,LTD EDITION ROCK US $178.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Waters - 5:01 AM - Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking - Columbia - Promo - NM US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
RON GEESIN-BLUEFUSE-Gently used CD-Pink Floyd-Roger Waters-1993 U.K. Import US $6.98 [0 bids]
ROGER WATERS 5.01 AM (The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking) 12" vinyl promo single US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Waters NEW 2 CASSETTES The Wall Live In Berlin US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PINK FLOYD-ROGER WATERS Amused To Death JAPAN Mini-LP CD MHCP693 Obi+Mini Labels US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy ROGER WATERS music online Buy ROGER WATERS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ROGER WATERS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER WATERS Flickering Flame - The Solo Years 1 ratings distribution

ROGER WATERS Flickering Flame - The Solo Years 1 reviews

Review by The Prognaut
2 stars The legend in highlighted red typing at the top of the front cover reads as followed: "A collectors limited edition including two rare demo recordings". Why do we people distrust such warnings? To make reviews like this. That's why. If there ever was going to be a Roger WATERS prominent career compilation album, sure, I would've inserted the same songs from previous releases in that specific order as well, but... what's the deal with the mysterious "two rare demos recordings"? Of course they're rare... in an oddly, inexplicable way, but rare. Sure, Roger included all the hits, all the punchy themes and the live recordings as well, but was it really necessary to surprise the fans with the "rare demos"? I think not. I know I'm acting paranoid, but I just can't jump off my amazement the same day I eagerly purchased this album, just because it had "the two rare recordings", expecting nothing but a fine, polished work. Well, that ain't happening today.

There's pretty much nothing to say about the rest of the songs because we are all familiar with them, "Flickering Flame" and "Lost Boys Calling". well, those two need a concise explanation. The song named after the album or all the way around, however you wanna put it, was religiously Xeroxed from the pure style of "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking", very sloppy and with way too much country music dashed in it (so was "Towers of Faith", but with cool female backing vocals and the characteristic religious message from Roger). "Lost Boys Calling", well, I assume it was intended to be a ballad, but it turned out to be a slumbering, mellow song. A severe contrast of Roger WATERS, buy it only if it's imperative for you to snap out of your dream of high hopes set upon this album and to complete the collection... like I did. Do not expect your curiosity to be rewarded, because that ain't gonna happen either. By the way, that legend I was telling you about at the beginning of the review also reads "The Solo Years Volume I". call me naive, but, does that mean there's gonna be a Volume II? Right.

Send comments to The Prognaut (BETA) | Report this review (#29275) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Review by Cluster One
2 stars "Flickering Flame" is ROGER WATERS' now out-of-print(?) misplaced attempt at a 'Greatest Hits/Compilation' and misses the mark entirely. (Think of PINK FLOYD's "Works" and you get the idea: so much potential, so little satisfaction.) How or why he chose the songs that he did for this album is beyond me. WATERS has plenty of hard, edgy solo material that would have and could have fit well on this release, but instead a number of pop-hits ('Radio Waves', 'Who Needs Information') and slow, introspective and moody ballads ('The Tide is Turning', 'Each Small Candle') are offered up. If I had to choose what songs NOT to include in a ROGER WATERS compilation, many of these would have been on that list.

For the most part, the 'rare' or 'demo' songs are at best...hard-to-find. 'Towers of Faith' (from the OST "When The Wind Blows") is quite good however and contains some nice acoustic work, reminiscent of FLOYD's "WYWH". 'Flickering Flame' (the song) and 'Lost Boys Calling' (another soundtrack song) are merely average attempts at the continued ROGER WATERS patronistic formula. In a tribute to one of his idols, BOB DYLAN, ROGER has also decided to provide us with a poor rendition of 'Knockin On Heaven's Door'. WATERS is a premiere progressive music songWRITER, but we all know just how poor a singer he is, and it definitely shows on this cover tune. :(

On the CD version that I have, the liner/notes was printed/inserted upside-down.

For collectors only! I never actually listen to this record, but purchased it nonetheless (like all the other completists) so that I could own some of the rarities it includes. 2/5 stars, barely.

Send comments to Cluster One (BETA) | Report this review (#29276) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Review by Eclipse
2 stars This is not a worthy album for you to spend your money on. What we have in "special" here are two demo recordings, "Flickering Flame" (which sounds awfully boring) and "Lost Boys Calling". Another new recording here is a bad cover of BOB DYLAN's song "Knocking On Heaven's Door". I won't go as far to say that i prefer the GUNS N' ROSES' version of it, but it certainly was a not successful effort by Roger. The other songs can be found on his solo albums, on their proper context, and you should pay attention to those instead of getting this compilation, which is almost as useless as PINK FLOYD's "Works".

Now, if you are a die-hard Waters' fan get this, but i advise that your money would be better spent on something else.

Send comments to Eclipse (BETA) | Report this review (#38679) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Roger Waters's solo material after his time in Pink Floyd... well, not a big deal for two decades. His best effort is no doubt Amused To Death (1992), preceded by only two studio albums, both conceptual and more or less like poorer cousins of Final Cut (1982) - which indeed should have appeared as a Roger Waters album, not Pink Floyd. So, how good a compilation one COULD get in the first place? Surely better than this anyway. Almost everything that can be wrong in a compilation is wrong here.

The tracks taken from concept albums put in a haphazard order lose most of their potential. Here they should make an impression in music, which they don't. To be listened as individual tracks they appear as even more syrupy ('Every Stranger's Eyes'), boring ('Who Needs Information') or banal wannabe-hits ('Radio Waves') than on the original surroundings. Also selections from Amused To Death fail to deliver the strengths of the complete album.

But perhaps the biggest failure is the opening track, totally useless Dylan cover 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' with the very banal female background singing (which appears too often in Waters' output). The closing track 'Lost Boys Calling' appeared in the end credits of the pretty film "The Legend of 1900" about a pianist who never stepped outside the ship where he was born. In that context the wailing ballad is great, but here you already have heard too much of that same sentimental stuff. I can't give more than two stars... make it 1,5.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#123328) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 25, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars Why do you want to purchase a compilation album if you have already got all individual album of the musician / band being featured? For me is simple: I want to see what people think about "the best" for the artist which most of the time are different with what I consider the best with approximately 20% - 40% differences. But that's OK because everyone has different musical taste so that at the end they come up with something different. Fortunately with this the best of Roger Waters I think I can only find roughly 20% differences especially on the inclusion 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' as this is not his creation and he did little on rearrangement of the song. Yes, it's a classic song like "The House of The Rising Sun" but people want more on arrangement, I think. I think, the one done by Guns and Roses is much better than this. However, I have to admit that I also enjoy this song because of Roger Waters' vocal quality that I consider top notch!

Now, if we think that the person who purchases this compilation is very new to Roger Waters, I am pretty damn sure that he or she will love the compilation especially the vocal quality of Roger Waters. Sometimes I imagine I would it be if Waters collaborate with Steve Hackett and make an album called something like "Gabriel Revisited" where all tracks are basically taken from Gabriel era of Genesis. Wow! I can not imagine how beautiful it would be 'Can Utility and The Coastliners' performed its vocal by Waters. Oh man .... So lovely ...!!! Hope that Hackett reads this review - as well as Waters .....LOL.

For newbie of Roger Waters solo, I would expect them love songs like 'The Tide Is Turning' and 'Perfect Sense Part I & II' also others like 'Three Wishes', 'Every Stranger's Eyes'....and of course The Flickering Flame. I hope, having listened to this compilation they would explore to all individual album as well as Pink Floyd's ....

It's a very good compilation, I think. Keep on proggin' ...!!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#849206) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 02, 2012

3 stars Basically a best of mixed with some rarities. This album has some of Roger Waters' highlights from his three studio albums (Pros And Cons, KAOS, Amused To Death) and the rare stuff: a nice cover of Dylan's Knocking On The Heaven's Door used in some movie, Each Small Candle - a great new song introdu ... (read more)

Report this review (#29274) | Posted by | Monday, April 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ROGER WATERS "Flickering Flame - The Solo Years 1"