LIVE IN CONCERT - NEWCASTLE CITY HALL 1974

Refugee

Refugee Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 album cover

Buy REFUGEE Music
Live, released in 2007

1. Outro - Ritt Mickley (2:53)
2. One Left Handed Peter Pan (8:44)
3. The Diamond Hard Blues Apples Of The Moon (7:00)
4. Someday (6:06)
5. Papillon (8:00)
6. She Belongs To Me (8:54)
7. Grand Canyon Suite (18:24)
- a. The Source

- Brian Davison / drums
- Lee Jackson / bass, vocals
- Patrick Moraz / keyboards

Voiceprint VP421CD

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition

REFUGEE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 Music

Refugee / Live in NewcastleRefugee / Live in Newcastle
Floating World 2011
REFUGEE nm-, prog rock lp on CHARISMA, 197,4 P. MORAZ US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Lot Of 2 R&B Promo Cassette NEW Sak Pase Wyclef Jean Refugee All Stars US $0.99 [0 bids]
Refugee / Josh (Music: Anu Malik) (Soundtrack) (RPG) UK "1st Edition US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Refugee - 1979 UK 7" US $16.03 Buy It Now 2h 33m
WYCLEF JEAN Feat. BONO New Day - 2 track 1999 SEALED! US CDS - w/ Refugee Camp + US $4.79 Buy It Now 2h 51m
WYCLEF JEAN ft REFUGEE ALLSTARS We Trying To Stay Alive CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 3h 35m
WYCLEF JEAN FEAT.REFUGEE ALLSTARS We Trying To Stay Alive 4 Track CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 3h 37m
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) No Woman No Cry 4 Track CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 3h 43m
WYCLEF JEAN ft REFUGEE ALLSTARS We Trying to Stay Alive CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Michael Jackson, Blood on the dancefloor (Refugee Camp), NEW UK 12" single US $30.45 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Refugee CD Refugee The Nice Patrick Moraz Yes ELP US $9.99 [0 bids]
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) - Fu-Gee-La (UK 6 Trk CD Single) US $3.67 Buy It Now 4h 30m
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) - Fu-Gee-La (EU 7 Trk CD Single) US $4.79 Buy It Now 4h 35m
POP ROCK/ Refugee - Listen To Your Heart (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
ROCK/ Refugee - Survival In The Western World (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
POP ROCK/ Refugee - Exiles In The Dark (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Fugees Fugees (Refugee Camp) Bootleg Version CD #30 US $6.98 Buy It Now 6h 36m
Radio Salone by Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars (CD, Apr-2012, Cumbancha) US $10.22 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Refugee Camp All Stars Feat Pras - Avenues PROMO CLEAN SINGLE FUGEES WYCLEF JEAN US $1.99 [0 bids]
Tom Petty - Refugee / It's Rainin' Again (VG) 1979 #915 US $6.00 Buy It Now 10h 32m
REFUGEE Progressive Rock, Virgin Japan CD, Patrick Moraz, Lee Jackson US $9.99 [0 bids]
Refugee-same UK prog Japanese mini lp Patrick Moraz US $28.99 Buy It Now 12h 54m
DOUBLE THUNDER TOUR PARIS WIRED UP REFUGEE BURNING FROM THE INSIDE OUT PROMO US $1.00 [0 bids]
Wyclef/Refugee Jean - Carnival Edited Version (1997) CD US $1.99 Buy It Now 19h 17m
?TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - REFUGEE - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD - 1979? US $5.25 Buy It Now 20h 14m
HELIX wild in the streets RED VINYL 12" PROMO 1987 refugee saga tracy kane US $8.99 Buy It Now 20h 46m
Spitfire Boys British Refugee/ Mein Kampf UK 1977 RK 7" Single RK 1001 US $64.13 Buy It Now 21h
REFUGEE CAMP ALLSTARS AVENUES WITH KY-MANI RICK JAMES PRAS vinyl 12'' US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun-19 US $3.50 [0 bids]
REFUGEE Affairs in Babylon SEALED LP Myles Hunter US $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars [Clean] [Edited] by... US $0.75 [0 bids]
Fugees (refugee camp) - No Woman No Cry - music cd EP US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SIERRA LEONE'S REFUGEE ALL STARS**RADIO SALONE**2 VINYL SET US $19.24 Buy It Now 1 day
REFUGEE Private CD Life Goes On AOR Hard Rock MHR Melodic 1992 zephyr COLORADO US $15.00 [0 bids]
MELISSA ETHERIDGE 'Refugee' 1Trk PROMO CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
Wyclef Jean Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun-1997, B US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Refugee / Live in Newcastle, Refugee, Excellent Import US $18.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD,... US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rise & Shine by Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars *New CD* US $10.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Fugees (refugee Camp), The Score 1996 Bmg US $1.99 [0 bids]
Living Like a Refugee by Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars (CD, Sep-2006, Anti... US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gary Numan U.K .Single CD "Like a Refugee" +3, SPIN R1, SEALED US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WYCLEF - THUG ANGELS / FUGEE THIS, FUGEE THAT 12" vinyl single refugee camp US $3.49 [0 bids]
World Star Festival Refugee Aide! LP Vinyl Album Record! Sinatra Streisand Ross US $0.99 [0 bids]
CD NO BOUNDARIES Benefit 4 KOSOVAR REFUGEE Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HELP Bosnian Refugee UK Go Discs CD Suede Portishead Radiohead Paul Weller +16! US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Wyclef Jean - Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars (Parental... US $1.59 [0 bids]
REUGEE - REFUGEE 2005 JAPAN MINI LP CD PATRICK MORAZ US $32.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Refugee by Hector Martignon (CD, May-2007, Zoho Music) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Carrie Newcomer - Regulars & Refugee CD US $19.31 Buy It Now 1 day
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars Wyclef Jean CD JAPAN OBI #27 US $6.98 Buy It Now 1 day
WYCLEF JEAN - REFUGEE ALLSTARS THE CARNIVAL 1998 CD NEW US $4.79 Buy It Now 1 day
SAMSON/NWOBHM-REFUGEE-RARE-1990 US $9.60 [0 bids]
Fugees (Refugee Camp) - No Woman, No Cry - UK CD Single US $7.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Wyclef Jean, Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars CD, 1997, 24 Traks US $8.72 [0 bids]
WYCLEF JEAN - Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] US $3.89 Buy It Now 2 days
REFUGEE-Life goes on Rare Christian Indy CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Tom Petty and the heartbreakers - refugee / it's raining again 7 inch Ex US $4.79 [0 bids]
Chipmunk Punk Record 1980 Vinyl Call Me My Sharona Good Girls Don't Refugee US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SIERRA LEONE`S REFUGEE ALL STA - RISE & SHINE - CMBCD18 US $16.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Island Refugee by David Waters (CD, Mar-1995, Aubergine Records) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Presents the Carnival Refugee [PA] by Wyclef Jean Cassette NEW Sealed US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) - Killing Me Softly (UK 4 Trk CD Single) US $5.27 Buy It Now 2 days
EXCEL"Seeking refugee"ORG cd Malicious Vynil 95,Anthrax US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Wyclef Jean feat Refugee Allstars - We Trying To Stay Alive - UK CD Single US $6.61 Buy It Now 2 days
WYCLEF JEAN & REFUGEE ALLSTARS - WE TRYING TO STAY ALIVE U.S. PROMO CD CS197 # US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD,... US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Refugee Camp All-Stars Present Melky & Day EP NM US $1.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Gary Numan & Dadadang Like a Refugee (I won't Cry) UK 12" SPIN T 1 EX US $6.40 [1 bids]
Refugee (group) - Self title 1974 LP Charisma Nice! Ft Patrick Moraz EX record US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MELISSA ETHERIDGE - REFUGEE, CD 1 Track Single 2005, Island Records, Promo Copy US $4.79 [0 bids]
Fugees (Refugee Camp) killing Me Softly Vinyl Record Single 1995 US $9.99 [0 bids]
REFUGEE CAMP ALL STARS feat. PRAS & KY-MANI: Avenues (LP) RICK JAMES w/ LIL' KIM US $1.99 [0 bids]
NO 22 CD ALBUM...FUGEES..THE SCORE..REFUGEE CAMP US $8.72 Buy It Now 2 days
REFUGEE PROMO LP 1974 (Charisma FC 6066) Yes Moody Blues The Nice Patrcik Moraz US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SIERRA LEONES REFUGEE ALL STARS-LIBATION-JAPAN CD F04 US $25.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee "Burning from the inside out" - SEALED lp US $7.77 [0 bids]
ALL STAR FESTIVAL LP Various Artists for United Nations Refugee Aid US $15.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars [Clean] by Wyclef Jean US $0.99 [0 bids]
Refugee by Sanchez & Beenie Man vg+ Skys The Limit 12" Reggae US $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee w/ Patrick Moraz Sefl Titled Lp UK Charisma Lp prog/psych US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD,... US $2.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Chris Volpe, Refugee Blues, RARE 15-song promo, mint disc, 2006, cool packaging US $7.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Fugees (Refugee Camp) Bootleg Version The Fugees MUSIC CD US $6.73 Buy It Now 3 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun... US $3.96 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee "Refugee" 1974 CharismaFC6066 NM/ Shrink but open- cut f/ Patrick Moraz US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TOM PETTY And The HEARTBREAKERS "REFUGEE" MCA Records 45 Rpm Free S/H USA US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TOM PETTY "REFUGEE" / "ITS RAINING AGAIN" 7" 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Tom Petty (Refugee / Its Rainin Again) ***45 RPM Record only*** US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Patrick Moraz (Refugee, Yes) - In Princeton CD 1995 3291-2 PrincetonRecords US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun... US $1.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee- self titled- 1974- new/sealed 8 Track tape wi picture sleeve/pink cart US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun-19 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars by Wyclef Jean (CD,... US $0.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Wyclef Jean, We Trying to Stay Alive, Feat Refugee Allstars US $1.60 Buy It Now 3 days
Fugees (Refugee Camp) - Killing Me Softly CD Single Lauryn Hill ( Cowboys ) US $1.59 [0 bids]
SPLIFF..ROCK `N ROLL REFUGEE..GOOD CONDITION DEMO CBS NEW WAVE 7"..CBS A 1005 US $6.40 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy REFUGEE music online Buy REFUGEE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for REFUGEE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 ratings distribution

REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 reviews

Review by richardh
4 stars A real gem this for all fans of organ driven symph prog. Refugee's debut album (reviewed elswhere) is one of the best symph prog albums and this official live album (taken from a high quality bootleg) is just as much fun.The Swiss keyboard genius that is Patrick Moraz on keyboards is well represented here. Compared to the album there is a lot less piano so fans of the organ will enjoy this even more than the studio album I expect. On top of that there are fine renditions of The Nice 'Diamond Hard Blues Apples of The Moon' and 'She Belongs To Me' (orginally Bob Dylan).For a live album recorded in 1974 it has excellent sound clarity. Davison's drums are raw and powerfull while Lee Jackson raspy vocals fit the organ based sound. This is more like The Nice than The Nice were!

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#121481) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 10, 2007

Review by Gatot
5 stars A Masterpiece Prog Live Album!

Colleague Collaborator Guillermo Vázquez wrote at this site : "Why Patrick Moraz left this band?" to start his great review of Refugee's the only one studio album. This is truly a thought provoking question and I do like it because I fully agree with him. Refugee is a great band and there was actually no compelling reason to disband. What a pity! With such a great studio album, this band is actually could be BIGGER than ELP. This live performance proves that Refugee is a great band! By the way, for those of you who have not listened to (and MUST OWN!) Refugee only one album, you must. It's a masterpiece of progressive music. In fact that album was the one that influenced the pop music scene in my country through the release of original sound track film "Badai Pasti Berlalu") in 1977. The musical nuance was mostly taken from Refugee's album.

I only knew this live in concert CD couple of months ago when I browse the net. I then ordered this album through the Missingpiece - which took so long to process because they were on leave - how come no customer order assurance during their leave period? Well finally .. after a long wait my order arrived and this was my second priority to enjoy after Genesis "Live" (Gabriel era). The first thing I did was to read the sleeve notes and I was impressed with the passion demonstrated to make this live concert CD available from Brian Davison's C 90 cassette containing major stuffs which later become this CD. The notes were well written by Martyn Hanson (the author of "Hang On To A Dream" - The Story of The Nice). Because I was grown with vintage prog music like Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd and also Refugee, I was really touched with the notes that Martyn put it. One of it was the fact that the tape was originally found on 2000 and it it made into CD in 2007!

I don't really care about the sonic quality which I consider "poor" even though Martyn said it's good. It's not good at all to my standard. The sonic quality of my Marillion bootleg albums are better than this one. But again, I don't care because I'm so curious to have the live version of this legendary band that has colored my childhood days. My pulse was running faster when "Outro - Ritt Mickley" (2:53) was wonderfully performed even though it's quite short. The song starts in the middle because I believe the opening part is damaged. But it's okay, I don't care. Through this track I can sense the great live vibes and how Patrick Moraz plays his keyboard wonderfully. With this release I finally know who Ritt Mickley is. As Martyn put in the sleeve notes that Patrick's English is good but his pronunciation is really bad. It actually meant to be "rhythmically" but the other band members thought that "Ritt Mickely" due to bad pronunciation from Patrick. What a great prog joke, really! All of them laughed but the name stuck.

I shout outloud "Yeeeaaah!" when I listened to "One Left Handed Peter Pan" (8:44) which to me is one of great symphonic prog rock composition featuring dynamic and pulsating keyboard work, aggressive bass lines and dazzling drumwork. It's truly a masterpiece!!! That's why, this band could be bigger than ELP, especially knowing "One Left Handed Peter Pan" which supposed to be part of Refugee's second album. It opens with ambient keyboard followed with tight bass lines by Lee Jackson and powerful drum beats by Brian followed with Patrick's keyboard work. What follow then was the energetic vocal line by Lee Jackson. He sings with very strong accentuation and energy. Patrick Moraz solo follows with his pulsating synthesizer. It's really great! It's gonna be a great track in studio, I think. Well, actually after quitting from Yes, Moraz could rejoin with other Refugee members and made the second album.

"The Diamond Hard Blues Apples Of The Moon" (7:00) is basically The Nice's song which Refugee performed beautifully. Next are two songs from their first album. The first one is "Someday" (6:06) which actually telling the story about the break-up of Lee Jackson (vocal, bass) first marriage. It's performed much more dynamic than the original studio version. The second is "Papillon" (8:00) which its name was inspired by Dustin Hoffman's film with the same title. Again this song demonstrates great combination of aggressive keyboard work, tight basslines and dazzling drumwork. The live version is much dynamic. This live version features also Bob Dylan's "She Belongs To Me" (8:54).

The last song is my ultimate favorite from Refugee "Grand Canyon Suite" (18:24) which represents Patrick's willingness to write a piece of music on natural wonder. It's quite surprising to me that Patrick played Alpine Horn at the start of this epic. I really enjoy this track, performed live, especially with how energetic Lee Jackson delivered his powerful vocal with really great dynamic. "When you go home and sleep this nightDream of wings and astral flight. Fly with the speed of waking light. And we'll go. And I'll show you. Show you the way. To the Grand Canyon". What a great song, really! Listening to the melody of this song, I almost cry ..!!

Overall, I cannot give any less than five stars for this wonderful and energetic live show. However, I would raise a flag for those of you who really an audiophile should consider twice if you wanna buy this record. The sonic quality is poor, I tell you. But for me, I don't care. This live record is a gem for me and I will treat it as precious as my other collections. It's a must have for those who love vintage prog! Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#133859) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 19, 2007

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
2 stars To say the sound quality of Refugee's live album is rough is an understatement- it is almost like a bootleg. But that could have been swiftly forgiven had this group performed as a purveyor of instrumentals. Honestly, Billy Bob Thornton's character from Slingblade sing progressive rock just doesn't work. Lee Jackson's throaty, gritty, hoarse vocals (just listen to "The Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon") make me wonder if I should burst out laughing or run screaming from the room. His grating nasal buzzing is worse than what I could hear at a karaoke bar after midnight; it's so terrible I cannot imagine why anyone would praise it. I can't listen to it with a straight face. A proper singer with a pleasant voice or the absence of a singer altogether would have complemented the music far more appropriately. The bass playing is generally solid, although the keyboards and drums overshadow it most of the time. Speaking of keyboards, I desperately want to spray WD-40 on whatever that "rusty bicycle" sound is that runs throughout much of "Papillon," and some of the cheesy extraterrestrial keyboard tones are dreadful. These criticisms notwithstanding, this is an album of interest for those fond of experimental, organ and synthesizer-driven symphonic progressive rock, and Patrick Moraz demonstrates an incredible presence and prowess throughout the concert as a musician.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#721366) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Review by Warthur
2 stars Refugee were a short-lived project by any measure, which I suppose explains why the sound quality on this solitary live album of theirs is so mediocre - with so few gigs to their name and not a whole lot of confidence from their record company (who passed up the chance to get a 2nd album from them), I guess we're lucky any of their concerts were recorded at all. The track list begins with "Outro" - yes, we're coming into the thing mid-flow, proper bootleg style - and the sound quality remains highly variable across the album's running time.

Refugee's live set consists of a mash-up of the band's original compositions and various old songs from The Nice, which doesn't exactly help counteract the notion that Brian Davison and Lee Jackson were treating Refugee as a way of continuing The Nice by other means. The original material is captured better on their sole studio album, and Moraz' talents would found better use in Yes after he jumped ship, so the album is really solely for hardcore Refugee fans who are desperate to own all the official releases from the band - and how many people are head-over-heels for Refugee in the first place? Not many, I'd wager. Some CD editions of the debut album include this material as a bonus, but if you already have the debut and the original releases by The Nice I wouldn't put the effort into tracking this down if I were you. because you've already got all this material in greatly superior quality renditions.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#906015) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 04, 2013

4 stars To describe this as a bootleg is wrong as the tape was off the soundboard and belonged to Blinky. The sound quality is reasonable good throughout, although not super. Even so what you get is an utterly indispensible live document, of one of Prog's shortest lived super groups. Of course peo ... (read more)

Report this review (#660584) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Friday, March 16, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of REFUGEE "Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974"