LIVE IN CONCERT - NEWCASTLE CITY HALL 1974

Refugee

Refugee Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 album cover

Buy REFUGEE Music
Live, released in 2007

1. Outro - Ritt Mickley (2:53)
2. One Left Handed Peter Pan (8:44)
3. The Diamond Hard Blues Apples Of The Moon (7:00)
4. Someday (6:06)
5. Papillon (8:00)
6. She Belongs To Me (8:54)
7. Grand Canyon Suite (18:24)
- a. The Source

- Brian Davison / drums
- Lee Jackson / bass, vocals
- Patrick Moraz / keyboards

Voiceprint VP421CD

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition

REFUGEE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 Music

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Refugee, MCA Records #MCA 41169, NM US $4.95 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars [Clean] [Edited] by... US $2.50 [0 bids]
Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars Radio Salone LPx2 USA 890846001701 Cumbancha ne US $11.48 [0 bids]
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars by Wyclef Jean (CD, 1997) US $3.95 Buy It Now 10h 14m
ANNABEL LAMB Refugee 3 Track MAXI CD West Germany 1989 US $4.95 Buy It Now 11h 50m
Wyclef Jean Presents the Carnival featuring Refugee Allstars CD US $1.52 [0 bids]
REFUGEE Live In Concert CD 1974 UK Import Voiceprint Moraz Yes Wakeman US $2.50 [0 bids]
TOM AND THE HEARTBREAKERS PETTY - DAMN THE TORPEDOS CD Free Shipping Refugee US $9.00 Buy It Now 19h 28m
Wyclef Jean Carnival ft Refugee Allstars (CD) MINT Neville Brothers Lauryn Hill US $0.99 Buy It Now 20h 4m
FUGEES Refugee Camp (1995) FU-GEE-LA 12" Mixes US $24.30 Buy It Now 20h 45m
Samson Refugee US Black CASSETTE TAPE Maze Records Communique 1990 US $2.99 [0 bids]
fugees - refugee camp, vinyls US $83.14 [0 bids]
Eddie Schwartz: Heart On Fire / No Refugee 7" 45 NM Cdn US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Savage Rose, The Refugee VG/VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
Bad 4 Good / Refugee JAPAN Steve Vai ORG!!!!! A US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WYCLEF JEAN - PRESENTS THE CARNIVAL FEATURING REFUGEE ALLSTARS [PA] (CD) US $0.99 [0 bids]
REFUGEE KOREAN EDITION C/W OBI YES NICE MOODY BLUES RARE US $10.38 [0 bids]
Patrick Moraz Mainhorse Refugee 5 Lp Lot Out In The Sun, Future Memories, US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(827C) Simon Kent, Spaced Out Refugee - DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars, Wyclef Jean, Excellent Cle US $1.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Sierra Leone`S Refugee All Stars Radio Salone 12" VINYL NEW US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(DD543) Netsayi, The Refugee Song - DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot 1 CD FUGEES (refugee camp) Bootleg version SEALED RARE super cool! US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VINYL LP Refugee - Exiles In The Dark EP / Promo / Chrysalis VAS 1984 / STERLING US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Refugee - Burning from the inside out RARE OOP Original Canadian Vinyl LP (New!) US $63.99 Buy It Now 1 day
REFUGEE refugee self titled same s/t CAS 1087 early press uk 1974 LP PS VG+/EX US $28.44 Buy It Now 2 days
REFUGEE CAMP ALLSTARS AVENUES WITH KY-MANI RICK JAMES PRAS vinyl 12'' US $4.00 [0 bids]
? NEAR MINT ? THE CHIPMUNKS - CALL ME / REFUGEE 45 FROM CHIPMUNK PUNK 1980 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Refugee: Life Goes On (Very Good) 1992 Zephyr Records ZPR001CD US $28.49 Buy It Now 2 days
"Ghetto Supastar" by Pras, w/ "Refugee Camp Navy Seals" (Bonus CD) - Fugees US $1.99 [0 bids]
Wyclef Jean Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA]  Minty CD US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
REFUGEE ALLSTARS - Rise & Shine - PROMO CD Advance 2010 US $4.68 Buy It Now 2 days
Sierra Leone Refugee Radio Salone CD NEW US $15.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Refugee CD Refugee The Nice Patrick Moraz Yes ELP US $29.99 [0 bids]
Wyclef Jean - The Carnival [Refugee All-Stars, Lauryn Hill] 1997 Sony DISC ONLY US $0.99 [0 bids]
Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars, Wyclef Jean, Very Good Exp US $1.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Refugee-Lp Record-Charisma-FC 6066-Patrick Moraz Lee Jackson Brian Davidson US $8.99 [0 bids]
TOM PETTY You Got Lucky & Refugee RARE two picture sleeve 7" vinyl ps lot US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Refugee Self Titled vinyl LP promo '74 great shape P Moraz, L Jackson, B Davison US $4.30 [0 bids]
Patrick Moraz-Timecode-PRISTINE LP NEAR MINT!w/sleeve!(YES, MOODY BLUES,REFUGEE) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
FUGEES (Refugee Camp) The Score CASSETTE w/PA US $1.99 [0 bids]
Refugee 2 by Tears US $9.60 Buy It Now 2 days
1 CENT CD: Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars 'Libation' Africa 2014 US $0.11 [2 bids]
World Star Festival Refugee Aide! LP Vinyl Album Record! Sinatra Streisand Ross US $0.99 [0 bids]
COOLBONE Use Me 12" REFUGEE CAMP/ WYCLEF JEAN NM US $3.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Wyclef Jean Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA](CD,1997 Columb US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars - Radio Salone [CD New] US $12.64 Buy It Now 3 days
Wyclef Jean , Audio CD, Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars US $7.07 Buy It Now 3 days
Fugees (Refugee Camp) - The Score (CD 1996) [Bonus Tracks] US $8.35 Buy It Now 3 days
Wyclef Jean-Guantanamera featuring REFUGEE ALLSTARS CD SINGLE US $2.52 Buy It Now 3 days
@ CD Myles Hunter - Northern Union RARE AOR REFUGEE - ISLAND RECORD 1990 ORG US $34.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Sierra Leone`S Refugee All Stars Rise & Shine CD NEW US $17.20 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee by SAMSON 1990 [USA cassette] VG cond. US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
REFUGEE "SELF TITLED" LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars- DVD US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) - The Score (UK 17 Tk 1996 CD Album) US $5.53 Buy It Now 3 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD,... US $1.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DES'REE WHAT'S YOUR SIGN CD 3 TRACKS INC REFUGEE CAMP REMIX+INSTRUMENTAL US $5.70 Buy It Now 3 days
FUGEES KILLING ME SOFTLY CD 4 TRACKS, LP VERSION WITH INTRO/FU GEE LA-REFUGEE C US $5.70 Buy It Now 3 days
SAMSON - "Refugee" LP(as-new condition)/New Wave Of British Heavy Metal(NWOBHM) US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Damn the Torpedoes, Tom Petty & Heartbreakers CD 1990 Refugee, Losers, My Girl US $1.99 [0 bids]
John Forte "Poly-Sci" PROMO CASSETTE SAMPLER/REFUGEE CAMP/FUGEES/1998 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Refugee Camp All Stars - Avenues (1997) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee Camp CASSETTE SAMPLER/PROMO/MILK CARTON/COOKIES/FUGEES/LAUREN HILL/1997 US $0.99 [0 bids]
SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS SPIRIT CD 5 TRACKS, RADIO EDIT/ALBUM VERSION/REFUGEE REMIX/ US $5.70 Buy It Now 3 days
Wyclef Jean "The Carnival" CASSETTE SAMPLER/PROMO/FUGEES/REFUGEE CAMP/1997 US $0.99 [0 bids]
WYCLEF JEAN PRESENTS THE CARNIVAL FEATURING REFUGEE ALLSTARS - 24 TRACK CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
Wyclef Jean Presents Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars Jean, Wyclef, Refugee US $3.89 Buy It Now 4 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, 1997) US $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
WYCLEF JEAN FEATURING REFUGEE ALLSTARS CD single WE TRYING TO STAY ALIVE US $5.03 Buy It Now 4 days
NUMAN AND DADADANG like a refugee 12" 3 trk pandemonium mix b/w radio mix and in US $8.39 Buy It Now 4 days
SIERRA LEONE'S REFUGEE ALL STARS - RISE & SHINE NEW CD US $21.97 Buy It Now 4 days
BIG DISH 25 years 12" 4 trk remix b/w swimmer,jealous and refugee (yz574t) pic s US $8.39 Buy It Now 4 days
*SALE* WYCLEF JEAN - PRESENT THE CARNIVAL FT. REFUGEE ALLSTARS Ft. Lauryn Hill US $1.90 Buy It Now 4 days
REFUGEE: Affairs In Babylon (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SAVAGE ROSE: Refugee LP (partial shrink, promo stamp obc, tiny corner bends) Ro US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
The (Refugee Camp) Fugees : CD US $2.20 Buy It Now 4 days
KEITH EMERSON BAND feat. MARC BONILLA CD PROG ELP, The Nice, Refugee, Triumvirat US $6.99 [0 bids]
Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars [Clean] [Edited] by... US $0.75 [0 bids]
PATRICK MORAZ- STORY OF I +2 (Mini Lp) Air mail (Mainhorse, Refugee, Yes) US $28.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Wyclef Jean Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars US $3.99 Buy It Now 5 days
PATRICK MORAZ - STORY OF I 1976 LP ORIG EX PROG GF INSERT YES MAINHORSE REFUGEE US $4.99 [0 bids]
Gone Till November [Sony #1] [Maxi Single] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jan-1998, Refugee US $0.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Faithless Town-American Refugee CD Import Very Good US $63.86 Buy It Now 5 days
TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Damn the Torpedos 1981 33 LP Vintage Vinyl Refugee US $19.99 [0 bids]
Refugee 1974 Charisma LP/ Patrick Moraz/ Lee Jackson/ The Nice US $3.99 [0 bids]
Spitfire Boys - British Refugee / Mein Kampf - Original UK - Very Rare - KBD US $100.00 [0 bids]
PATRICK MORAZ - OUT IN THE SUN ex YES REFUGEE PROG KYBRD REMAST SEALED CD +1xtrk US $14.95 Buy It Now 5 days
TOM PETTY THROUGH THE YEARS ANTHOLOGY 2 CD DIGIPAK 2000 AMERICAN GIRL REFUGEE US $9.73 Buy It Now 5 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun-19 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Wyclef Jean Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars US $0.99 [0 bids]
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun-19 US $5.00 Buy It Now 5 days
WYCLEF JEAN ft REFUGEE ALLSTARS - Guantanamera (UK 4 Tk CD Single) US $5.87 Buy It Now 5 days
WYCLEF JEAN ft REFUGEE ALLSTARS - We Trying To Stay Alive (UK CD Single Pt 1) US $6.37 Buy It Now 5 days
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) No Woman No Cry 4 Track CD US $6.64 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy REFUGEE music online Buy REFUGEE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for REFUGEE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 ratings distribution

REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 reviews

Review by richardh
4 stars A real gem this for all fans of organ driven symph prog. Refugee's debut album (reviewed elswhere) is one of the best symph prog albums and this official live album (taken from a high quality bootleg) is just as much fun.The Swiss keyboard genius that is Patrick Moraz on keyboards is well represented here. Compared to the album there is a lot less piano so fans of the organ will enjoy this even more than the studio album I expect. On top of that there are fine renditions of The Nice 'Diamond Hard Blues Apples of The Moon' and 'She Belongs To Me' (orginally Bob Dylan).For a live album recorded in 1974 it has excellent sound clarity. Davison's drums are raw and powerfull while Lee Jackson raspy vocals fit the organ based sound. This is more like The Nice than The Nice were!

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#121481) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 10, 2007

Review by Gatot
5 stars A Masterpiece Prog Live Album!

Colleague Collaborator Guillermo Vázquez wrote at this site : "Why Patrick Moraz left this band?" to start his great review of Refugee's the only one studio album. This is truly a thought provoking question and I do like it because I fully agree with him. Refugee is a great band and there was actually no compelling reason to disband. What a pity! With such a great studio album, this band is actually could be BIGGER than ELP. This live performance proves that Refugee is a great band! By the way, for those of you who have not listened to (and MUST OWN!) Refugee only one album, you must. It's a masterpiece of progressive music. In fact that album was the one that influenced the pop music scene in my country through the release of original sound track film "Badai Pasti Berlalu") in 1977. The musical nuance was mostly taken from Refugee's album.

I only knew this live in concert CD couple of months ago when I browse the net. I then ordered this album through the Missingpiece - which took so long to process because they were on leave - how come no customer order assurance during their leave period? Well finally .. after a long wait my order arrived and this was my second priority to enjoy after Genesis "Live" (Gabriel era). The first thing I did was to read the sleeve notes and I was impressed with the passion demonstrated to make this live concert CD available from Brian Davison's C 90 cassette containing major stuffs which later become this CD. The notes were well written by Martyn Hanson (the author of "Hang On To A Dream" - The Story of The Nice). Because I was grown with vintage prog music like Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd and also Refugee, I was really touched with the notes that Martyn put it. One of it was the fact that the tape was originally found on 2000 and it it made into CD in 2007!

I don't really care about the sonic quality which I consider "poor" even though Martyn said it's good. It's not good at all to my standard. The sonic quality of my Marillion bootleg albums are better than this one. But again, I don't care because I'm so curious to have the live version of this legendary band that has colored my childhood days. My pulse was running faster when "Outro - Ritt Mickley" (2:53) was wonderfully performed even though it's quite short. The song starts in the middle because I believe the opening part is damaged. But it's okay, I don't care. Through this track I can sense the great live vibes and how Patrick Moraz plays his keyboard wonderfully. With this release I finally know who Ritt Mickley is. As Martyn put in the sleeve notes that Patrick's English is good but his pronunciation is really bad. It actually meant to be "rhythmically" but the other band members thought that "Ritt Mickely" due to bad pronunciation from Patrick. What a great prog joke, really! All of them laughed but the name stuck.

I shout outloud "Yeeeaaah!" when I listened to "One Left Handed Peter Pan" (8:44) which to me is one of great symphonic prog rock composition featuring dynamic and pulsating keyboard work, aggressive bass lines and dazzling drumwork. It's truly a masterpiece!!! That's why, this band could be bigger than ELP, especially knowing "One Left Handed Peter Pan" which supposed to be part of Refugee's second album. It opens with ambient keyboard followed with tight bass lines by Lee Jackson and powerful drum beats by Brian followed with Patrick's keyboard work. What follow then was the energetic vocal line by Lee Jackson. He sings with very strong accentuation and energy. Patrick Moraz solo follows with his pulsating synthesizer. It's really great! It's gonna be a great track in studio, I think. Well, actually after quitting from Yes, Moraz could rejoin with other Refugee members and made the second album.

"The Diamond Hard Blues Apples Of The Moon" (7:00) is basically The Nice's song which Refugee performed beautifully. Next are two songs from their first album. The first one is "Someday" (6:06) which actually telling the story about the break-up of Lee Jackson (vocal, bass) first marriage. It's performed much more dynamic than the original studio version. The second is "Papillon" (8:00) which its name was inspired by Dustin Hoffman's film with the same title. Again this song demonstrates great combination of aggressive keyboard work, tight basslines and dazzling drumwork. The live version is much dynamic. This live version features also Bob Dylan's "She Belongs To Me" (8:54).

The last song is my ultimate favorite from Refugee "Grand Canyon Suite" (18:24) which represents Patrick's willingness to write a piece of music on natural wonder. It's quite surprising to me that Patrick played Alpine Horn at the start of this epic. I really enjoy this track, performed live, especially with how energetic Lee Jackson delivered his powerful vocal with really great dynamic. "When you go home and sleep this nightDream of wings and astral flight. Fly with the speed of waking light. And we'll go. And I'll show you. Show you the way. To the Grand Canyon". What a great song, really! Listening to the melody of this song, I almost cry ..!!

Overall, I cannot give any less than five stars for this wonderful and energetic live show. However, I would raise a flag for those of you who really an audiophile should consider twice if you wanna buy this record. The sonic quality is poor, I tell you. But for me, I don't care. This live record is a gem for me and I will treat it as precious as my other collections. It's a must have for those who love vintage prog! Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#133859) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 19, 2007

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
2 stars To say the sound quality of Refugee's live album is rough is an understatement- it is almost like a bootleg. But that could have been swiftly forgiven had this group performed as a purveyor of instrumentals. Honestly, Billy Bob Thornton's character from Slingblade sing progressive rock just doesn't work. Lee Jackson's throaty, gritty, hoarse vocals (just listen to "The Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon") make me wonder if I should burst out laughing or run screaming from the room. His grating nasal buzzing is worse than what I could hear at a karaoke bar after midnight; it's so terrible I cannot imagine why anyone would praise it. I can't listen to it with a straight face. A proper singer with a pleasant voice or the absence of a singer altogether would have complemented the music far more appropriately. The bass playing is generally solid, although the keyboards and drums overshadow it most of the time. Speaking of keyboards, I desperately want to spray WD-40 on whatever that "rusty bicycle" sound is that runs throughout much of "Papillon," and some of the cheesy extraterrestrial keyboard tones are dreadful. These criticisms notwithstanding, this is an album of interest for those fond of experimental, organ and synthesizer-driven symphonic progressive rock, and Patrick Moraz demonstrates an incredible presence and prowess throughout the concert as a musician.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#721366) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Review by Warthur
2 stars Refugee were a short-lived project by any measure, which I suppose explains why the sound quality on this solitary live album of theirs is so mediocre - with so few gigs to their name and not a whole lot of confidence from their record company (who passed up the chance to get a 2nd album from them), I guess we're lucky any of their concerts were recorded at all. The track list begins with "Outro" - yes, we're coming into the thing mid-flow, proper bootleg style - and the sound quality remains highly variable across the album's running time.

Refugee's live set consists of a mash-up of the band's original compositions and various old songs from The Nice, which doesn't exactly help counteract the notion that Brian Davison and Lee Jackson were treating Refugee as a way of continuing The Nice by other means. The original material is captured better on their sole studio album, and Moraz' talents would found better use in Yes after he jumped ship, so the album is really solely for hardcore Refugee fans who are desperate to own all the official releases from the band - and how many people are head-over-heels for Refugee in the first place? Not many, I'd wager. Some CD editions of the debut album include this material as a bonus, but if you already have the debut and the original releases by The Nice I wouldn't put the effort into tracking this down if I were you. because you've already got all this material in greatly superior quality renditions.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#906015) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 04, 2013

4 stars To describe this as a bootleg is wrong as the tape was off the soundboard and belonged to Blinky. The sound quality is reasonable good throughout, although not super. Even so what you get is an utterly indispensible live document, of one of Prog's shortest lived super groups. Of course peo ... (read more)

Report this review (#660584) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Friday, March 16, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of REFUGEE "Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974"