LIVE IN CONCERT - NEWCASTLE CITY HALL 1974

Refugee

Refugee Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 album cover

Buy REFUGEE Music
Live, released in 2007

1. Outro - Ritt Mickley (2:53)
2. One Left Handed Peter Pan (8:44)
3. The Diamond Hard Blues Apples Of The Moon (7:00)
4. Someday (6:06)
5. Papillon (8:00)
6. She Belongs To Me (8:54)
7. Grand Canyon Suite (18:24)
- a. The Source

- Brian Davison / drums
- Lee Jackson / bass, vocals
- Patrick Moraz / keyboards

Voiceprint VP421CD

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition

REFUGEE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 Music

Refugee / Live in NewcastleRefugee / Live in Newcastle
Floating World 2011
SPITFIRE BOYS British Refugee / Mein Kampf 7" RARE FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD KBD US $130.47 Buy It Now 51m 10s
REFUGEE - BURNING FROM THE INSIDE OUT - RARE SEALED CD US $17.95 [0 bids]
53m 31s
Wyclef Jean WE TRYING TO STAY ALIVE CD Single UK 1997 featuring Refugee Allstars US $1.61 [0 bids]
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) - The Score (UK 17 Tk 1996 CD Album) US $5.37 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD,... US $1.99 Buy It Now 5h 33m
TOM PETTY - Refugee (Picture Sleeve only) - NM US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 26m
DOUBLE THUNDER TOUR PARIS WIRED UP REFUGEE BURNING FROM THE INSIDE OUT PROMO US $1.00 [0 bids]
Refugee - Self-Titled FC 6066 W/ Lyrics sleeve The Famous Charisma Label EX/VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 39m
Wyclef Jean Refugee Allstars We Trying To Stay Alive Hip Hop 12" Vinyl Fugees US $4.00 [0 bids]
NUMAN AND DADADANG like a refugee 12" 3 trk pandemonium mix b/w radio mix and in US $8.14 Buy It Now 19h 43m
Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars - Libation (NEW CD) US $18.33 Buy It Now 20h 51m
BIG DISH 25 years 12" 4 trk remix b/w swimmer,jealous and refugee (yz574t) pic s US $8.14 Buy It Now 21h 19m
REFUGEE NEW CD US $23.59 Buy It Now 21h 28m
REFUGEE: Affairs In Babylon (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MELISSA ETHERIDGE 'Refugee' 1Trk PROMO CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
Refugee-Self Titled-LP-Chrysalis-BFV 41493-OG Sleeve-Vinyl Record US $3.00 [0 bids]
WYCLEF JEAN PRESENTS THE CARNIVAL FEATURING REFUGEE ALLSTARS CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
LAST CRY In The Name Of Love Cd 2 Track Ep Org93 Joste AOR Signal Refugee US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WYCLEF JEAN**CARNIVAL: FEATURING REFUGEE ALLSTARS**CD US $7.63 Buy It Now 1 day
PATRICK MORAZ- STORY OF I +2 (Mini Lp) Air mail (Mainhorse, Refugee, Yes) US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD 4 GOOD, REFUGEE, JAPAN, OBI, 1992, ORG, PROMO, AMCY-452, STEVE VAI US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
REFUGEE refugee self titled same s/t CAS 1087 early press uk 1974 LP PS VG+/EX US $20.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Wyclef Jean-Guantanamera featuring REFUGEE ALLSTARS CD SINGLE US $2.45 Buy It Now 1 day
REFUGEE - Affairs In Babylon - 1985 Promo Vinyl Lp. w/ Lyric sleeve / VG+/ ROCK US $0.99 [0 bids]
Gone Till November [Sony #1] [Maxi Single] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jan-1998, Refugee US $0.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Faithless Town-American Refugee CD Import Very Good US $15.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Chipmunk Punk Record 1980 Vinyl Call Me My Sharona Good Girls Don't Refugee US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PATRICK MORAZ - OUT IN THE SUN ex YES REFUGEE PROG KYBRD REMAST SEALED CD +1xtrk US $14.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD) US $0.25 [0 bids]
HEAVEN & EARTH: Refugee KO (reissue, gatefold cover) Rock & Pop US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Fugees Refugee Camp Ready Or Not 12" Promo Vinyl 1996 CAS 8462 US $0.99 [0 bids]
WYCLEF JEAN ft REFUGEE ALLSTARS - Guantanamera (UK 4 Tk CD Single) US $5.69 Buy It Now 2 days
WYCLEF JEAN ft REFUGEE ALLSTARS - We Trying To Stay Alive (UK CD Single Pt 1) US $6.18 Buy It Now 2 days
CD Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars? - Living Like A Refugee Anti 86837-2 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
REFUGEE THE SAVAGE ROSE LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD,... US $0.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun-19 US $3.50 [0 bids]
OG Sealed Danish Prog Rock LP : The Savage Rose ~ Refugee ~ Gregar GG 104 US $50.00 [0 bids]
REFUGEE-Life Goes On 1992 Indie AOR CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
Refugee Listen to your heart 12" promo single RARE Vinyl LP record GREAT SHAPE US $17.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Refugee: Live In Newcastle by Refugee (CD, Nov-2010, 2 Discs, Floating World) US $9.18 Buy It Now 2 days
Ani Choying Drolma- Taking Refugee US $9.90 Buy It Now 2 days
REFUGEE nm-, prog rock lp on CHARISMA, 197,4 P. MORAZ US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Refugee - 1979 UK 7" US $16.31 Buy It Now 2 days
WYCLEF JEAN Feat. BONO New Day - 2 track 1999 SEALED! US CDS - w/ Refugee Camp + US $4.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars [Clean] by Wyclef Jean US $0.99 [0 bids]
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) No Woman No Cry 4 Track CD US $6.44 Buy It Now 2 days
WYCLEF JEAN FEAT.REFUGEE ALLSTARS We Trying To Stay Alive 4 Track CD US $6.44 Buy It Now 2 days
WYCLEF JEAN ft REFUGEE ALLSTARS We Trying to Stay Alive CD US $6.44 Buy It Now 2 days
WYCLEF JEAN ft REFUGEE ALLSTARS We Trying To Stay Alive CD US $6.44 Buy It Now 2 days
Michael Jackson, Blood on the dancefloor (Refugee Camp), NEW UK 12" single US $30.97 Buy It Now 2 days
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) - Fu-Gee-La (UK 6 Trk CD Single) US $3.74 Buy It Now 3 days
FUGEES (REFUGEE CAMP) - Fu-Gee-La (EU 7 Trk CD Single) US $4.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee - Live In Newcastle/Refugee [CD New] US $11.42 Buy It Now 3 days
The (Refugee Camp) Fugees : CD US $2.20 [0 bids]
POP ROCK/ Refugee - Listen To Your Heart (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ROCK/ Refugee - Survival In The Western World (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
POP ROCK/ Refugee - Exiles In The Dark (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Fugees Fugees (Refugee Camp) Bootleg Version CD #30 US $10.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee CD Refugee The Nice Patrick Moraz Yes ELP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Lauryn Hill The Fugees (Refugee Camp) CD 2 Lot Miseducation The Score US $1.99 [0 bids]
TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - REFUGEE / IT'S RAINING AGAIN 45 RECORD US $2.00 [1 bids]
Presents Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars [Edited] Wyclef Jean CD #DE44 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Fugees (Refugee Camp) - Bootleg Versions JAPAN CD #18-1 US $3.60 Buy It Now 3 days
Refugee-same UK prog Japanese mini lp Patrick Moraz US $28.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TOM PETTY & the Heartbreakers Refugee 7" Single SOUTH AFRICA Cat# PD 1808 US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Fugees (refugee Camp) No Woman No Cry CD US $1.61 [0 bids]
REFUGEE CAMP ALLSTARS AVENUES WITH KY-MANI RICK JAMES PRAS vinyl 12'' US $4.00 Buy It Now 3 days
REFUGEE Affairs in Babylon SEALED LP Myles Hunter US $21.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Fugees (refugee camp) - No Woman No Cry - music cd EP US $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun-1997, B US $3.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SIERRA LEONE'S REFUGEE ALL STARS**RADIO SALONE**2 VINYL SET US $19.24 Buy It Now 3 days
WYCLEF - THUG ANGELS / FUGEE THIS, FUGEE THAT 12" vinyl single refugee camp US $3.99 [0 bids]
REFUGEE-ST UK Prog/Keyboard Trio Patrick Moraz & Nice US Orig LP US $26.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Wyclef Jean Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars US $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Rise & Shine [Digipak] by Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars (CD, Mar-2010,... US $12.17 Buy It Now 4 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars [Clean] [Edited] by Wyclef US $1.99 [0 bids]
Gary Numan U.K .Single CD "Like a Refugee" +3, SPIN R1, SEALED US $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, 1997) US $0.75 [0 bids]
Refugee Self Titled vinyl LP promo '74 great shape P Moraz, L Jackson, B Davison US $4.22 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Then & Now 2CD OOP PROG Atomic Rooster Triumvirat Refugee US $8.74 [0 bids]
Living Like a Refugee by Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars (CD, Sep-2006, Anti... US $9.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Fugees - No Woman, No Cry RARE PROMO LAURYN HILL WYCLEF JEAN PRAS REFUGEE CAMP R US $4.99 [0 bids]
CULT FIRE WOMAN, BILLY IDOL WHITE WEDDING, TOM PETTY REFUGEE, SEGER OLD TIME US $8.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Refugee Camp All Stars Presents Melky And Day - I Got A Love Jones For You PROMO US $1.99 [0 bids]
Presents the Carnival Featuring Refugee Allstars [PA] by Wyclef Jean (CD, Jun... US $4.99 [0 bids]
BRETT ANDERSON Love Is Dead + TEARS Refugee 2x CD london SUEDE BERNARD BUTLER US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
REFUGEE PROMO LP 1974 (Charisma FC 6066) Yes Moody Blues The Nice Patrcik Moraz US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
HELP Bosnian Refugee UK Go Discs CD Suede Portishead Radiohead Paul Weller +16! US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Refugee - Live In Newcastle/Refugee CD US $24.78 Buy It Now 4 days
REUGEE - REFUGEE 2005 JAPAN MINI LP CD PATRICK MORAZ US $32.61 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy REFUGEE music online Buy REFUGEE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for REFUGEE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 ratings distribution

REFUGEE Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974 reviews

Review by richardh
4 stars A real gem this for all fans of organ driven symph prog. Refugee's debut album (reviewed elswhere) is one of the best symph prog albums and this official live album (taken from a high quality bootleg) is just as much fun.The Swiss keyboard genius that is Patrick Moraz on keyboards is well represented here. Compared to the album there is a lot less piano so fans of the organ will enjoy this even more than the studio album I expect. On top of that there are fine renditions of The Nice 'Diamond Hard Blues Apples of The Moon' and 'She Belongs To Me' (orginally Bob Dylan).For a live album recorded in 1974 it has excellent sound clarity. Davison's drums are raw and powerfull while Lee Jackson raspy vocals fit the organ based sound. This is more like The Nice than The Nice were!

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#121481) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 10, 2007

Review by Gatot
5 stars A Masterpiece Prog Live Album!

Colleague Collaborator Guillermo Vázquez wrote at this site : "Why Patrick Moraz left this band?" to start his great review of Refugee's the only one studio album. This is truly a thought provoking question and I do like it because I fully agree with him. Refugee is a great band and there was actually no compelling reason to disband. What a pity! With such a great studio album, this band is actually could be BIGGER than ELP. This live performance proves that Refugee is a great band! By the way, for those of you who have not listened to (and MUST OWN!) Refugee only one album, you must. It's a masterpiece of progressive music. In fact that album was the one that influenced the pop music scene in my country through the release of original sound track film "Badai Pasti Berlalu") in 1977. The musical nuance was mostly taken from Refugee's album.

I only knew this live in concert CD couple of months ago when I browse the net. I then ordered this album through the Missingpiece - which took so long to process because they were on leave - how come no customer order assurance during their leave period? Well finally .. after a long wait my order arrived and this was my second priority to enjoy after Genesis "Live" (Gabriel era). The first thing I did was to read the sleeve notes and I was impressed with the passion demonstrated to make this live concert CD available from Brian Davison's C 90 cassette containing major stuffs which later become this CD. The notes were well written by Martyn Hanson (the author of "Hang On To A Dream" - The Story of The Nice). Because I was grown with vintage prog music like Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd and also Refugee, I was really touched with the notes that Martyn put it. One of it was the fact that the tape was originally found on 2000 and it it made into CD in 2007!

I don't really care about the sonic quality which I consider "poor" even though Martyn said it's good. It's not good at all to my standard. The sonic quality of my Marillion bootleg albums are better than this one. But again, I don't care because I'm so curious to have the live version of this legendary band that has colored my childhood days. My pulse was running faster when "Outro - Ritt Mickley" (2:53) was wonderfully performed even though it's quite short. The song starts in the middle because I believe the opening part is damaged. But it's okay, I don't care. Through this track I can sense the great live vibes and how Patrick Moraz plays his keyboard wonderfully. With this release I finally know who Ritt Mickley is. As Martyn put in the sleeve notes that Patrick's English is good but his pronunciation is really bad. It actually meant to be "rhythmically" but the other band members thought that "Ritt Mickely" due to bad pronunciation from Patrick. What a great prog joke, really! All of them laughed but the name stuck.

I shout outloud "Yeeeaaah!" when I listened to "One Left Handed Peter Pan" (8:44) which to me is one of great symphonic prog rock composition featuring dynamic and pulsating keyboard work, aggressive bass lines and dazzling drumwork. It's truly a masterpiece!!! That's why, this band could be bigger than ELP, especially knowing "One Left Handed Peter Pan" which supposed to be part of Refugee's second album. It opens with ambient keyboard followed with tight bass lines by Lee Jackson and powerful drum beats by Brian followed with Patrick's keyboard work. What follow then was the energetic vocal line by Lee Jackson. He sings with very strong accentuation and energy. Patrick Moraz solo follows with his pulsating synthesizer. It's really great! It's gonna be a great track in studio, I think. Well, actually after quitting from Yes, Moraz could rejoin with other Refugee members and made the second album.

"The Diamond Hard Blues Apples Of The Moon" (7:00) is basically The Nice's song which Refugee performed beautifully. Next are two songs from their first album. The first one is "Someday" (6:06) which actually telling the story about the break-up of Lee Jackson (vocal, bass) first marriage. It's performed much more dynamic than the original studio version. The second is "Papillon" (8:00) which its name was inspired by Dustin Hoffman's film with the same title. Again this song demonstrates great combination of aggressive keyboard work, tight basslines and dazzling drumwork. The live version is much dynamic. This live version features also Bob Dylan's "She Belongs To Me" (8:54).

The last song is my ultimate favorite from Refugee "Grand Canyon Suite" (18:24) which represents Patrick's willingness to write a piece of music on natural wonder. It's quite surprising to me that Patrick played Alpine Horn at the start of this epic. I really enjoy this track, performed live, especially with how energetic Lee Jackson delivered his powerful vocal with really great dynamic. "When you go home and sleep this nightDream of wings and astral flight. Fly with the speed of waking light. And we'll go. And I'll show you. Show you the way. To the Grand Canyon". What a great song, really! Listening to the melody of this song, I almost cry ..!!

Overall, I cannot give any less than five stars for this wonderful and energetic live show. However, I would raise a flag for those of you who really an audiophile should consider twice if you wanna buy this record. The sonic quality is poor, I tell you. But for me, I don't care. This live record is a gem for me and I will treat it as precious as my other collections. It's a must have for those who love vintage prog! Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#133859) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 19, 2007

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
2 stars To say the sound quality of Refugee's live album is rough is an understatement- it is almost like a bootleg. But that could have been swiftly forgiven had this group performed as a purveyor of instrumentals. Honestly, Billy Bob Thornton's character from Slingblade sing progressive rock just doesn't work. Lee Jackson's throaty, gritty, hoarse vocals (just listen to "The Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon") make me wonder if I should burst out laughing or run screaming from the room. His grating nasal buzzing is worse than what I could hear at a karaoke bar after midnight; it's so terrible I cannot imagine why anyone would praise it. I can't listen to it with a straight face. A proper singer with a pleasant voice or the absence of a singer altogether would have complemented the music far more appropriately. The bass playing is generally solid, although the keyboards and drums overshadow it most of the time. Speaking of keyboards, I desperately want to spray WD-40 on whatever that "rusty bicycle" sound is that runs throughout much of "Papillon," and some of the cheesy extraterrestrial keyboard tones are dreadful. These criticisms notwithstanding, this is an album of interest for those fond of experimental, organ and synthesizer-driven symphonic progressive rock, and Patrick Moraz demonstrates an incredible presence and prowess throughout the concert as a musician.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#721366) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Review by Warthur
2 stars Refugee were a short-lived project by any measure, which I suppose explains why the sound quality on this solitary live album of theirs is so mediocre - with so few gigs to their name and not a whole lot of confidence from their record company (who passed up the chance to get a 2nd album from them), I guess we're lucky any of their concerts were recorded at all. The track list begins with "Outro" - yes, we're coming into the thing mid-flow, proper bootleg style - and the sound quality remains highly variable across the album's running time.

Refugee's live set consists of a mash-up of the band's original compositions and various old songs from The Nice, which doesn't exactly help counteract the notion that Brian Davison and Lee Jackson were treating Refugee as a way of continuing The Nice by other means. The original material is captured better on their sole studio album, and Moraz' talents would found better use in Yes after he jumped ship, so the album is really solely for hardcore Refugee fans who are desperate to own all the official releases from the band - and how many people are head-over-heels for Refugee in the first place? Not many, I'd wager. Some CD editions of the debut album include this material as a bonus, but if you already have the debut and the original releases by The Nice I wouldn't put the effort into tracking this down if I were you. because you've already got all this material in greatly superior quality renditions.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#906015) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 04, 2013

4 stars To describe this as a bootleg is wrong as the tape was off the soundboard and belonged to Blinky. The sound quality is reasonable good throughout, although not super. Even so what you get is an utterly indispensible live document, of one of Prog's shortest lived super groups. Of course peo ... (read more)

Report this review (#660584) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Friday, March 16, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of REFUGEE "Live in Concert - Newcastle City Hall 1974"