Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiscovering Australian Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Great Duck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 19:46
Will check these out!
Tell me though, once I heard some guy mention an Aussie band that was named after a place (I think a beach was in question) where something weird happened (I think someone was killed, or they found a dead guy there or sth.). Do you know what band that is?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 08:26
Originally posted by The Great Duck The Great Duck wrote:

Will check these out!
Tell me though, once I heard some guy mention an Aussie band that was named after a place (I think a beach was in question) where something weird happened (I think someone was killed, or they found a dead guy there or sth.). Do you know what band that is?

Hmmm....... I cannot recall any such band but someone may know more. Interesting.
Iron Nate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 00:06
I don't know the band your talking about but maybe it has something to do with PM Harold Holt disappearing at Chevoit beach?

We drink these while watching our beloved Aussie Rules Footy Rugby League

Fixed that for ya

Edited by Iron Nate - February 17 2013 at 00:14
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 03:38
Long list of bands but some are missing :
- Stargazer (tech/extreme)
- Prop (post-rock)
- Quasar (psychedelic) the album 'Man Coda'
- Paul Schütze (electronic prog)

And maybe Louisa John-Krol for folk ?
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 02:39
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by The Great Duck The Great Duck wrote:

Will check these out!

Hmmm....... I cannot recall any such band but someone may know more. Interesting.

Greetings,

An unidentified man was found on Somerton Beach in December 1948;

Wikipedia has a surprising amount of information, including the following neat summary:
"The Taman Shud Case, also known as the Mystery of the Somerton Man, is an unsolved case of an unidentified man found dead at 6:30 a.m., 1 December 1948, on Somerton beach in Adelaide, South Australia. It is named for a phrase, tamam shud, meaning "ended" or "finished," on a scrap of the final page of The Rubaiyat, found in the hidden pocket of the man's trousers."

This mystery is occasionally mentioned here in Adelaide on slow news days (usually during the Summer holidays) and like many things seems destined to go into the annals of local history.

Did the Australian band Tamam Shud name themselves after this event? That I don't know...

By the way, AtomicCrimsonRush - I for one really appreciate your work on this post, the info you have provided about the Oz bands is great and features lots I am not familiar with -

Clap

- hope you can find the time to continue with the A to Z at some point!

David

Edited by David64T - February 25 2013 at 02:59
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 16:07
As per usual Scott you do such a great job with anything you put your mind to, very detailed and informative.Clap
My Uncle who i worked for for about 15 years was an Ozzie. He moved to California when he was 24 and moved up to British Columbia before coming out to Ontario where he married my mom's sister. Loved his stories over the years and a highlight was when his dad came over to visit from Australia at Christmas. He had never seen snow and we had him out playing road hockey.
I'm a fan of a lot of Australian bands but i'll mention MYRIAD and SH'MANTRA as two i'm really into.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 06:37
thanks heaps for alll the wonderful comments!!
troyboy79 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 23:57
I had know idea we had sooo many great local prog acts.

Heaps of great clips thanks
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 03:19
Next up to the plate is the prog metal Aussie act:

Caligula's Horse

Caligulas Horse picture

The Band

Devin Townsend, Pain Of Salvation, Opeth, Meshuggah, Porcupine Tree, Steve Vai, Frost, Periphery, Karnivool, Muse, Steely Dan, The Beatles, and Frank Zappa are all influences of Caligula's Horse, and yet they sound like none of these artists primarily or exclusively, rather a hybrid of all such influences on their one sole album. The band were formed by the visionary mind of the guitarist, who also wrote the songs and produced the material, Sam Vallen, At first the band were really a duet with Sam and vocalist Jim Grey. Th debut was released in 2011 "Moments From Ephemeral City". It was critically acclaimed and adored by progressive music listeners. The band toured the album along with extra members Geoff Irish on drums, Zac Greensill on guitar and Dave Couper on bass and vocals.

The Albums

EP

Caligulas Horse Colossus album cover

Album:

Caligulas Horse Moments From Ephemeral City album cover

1. The City Has No Empathy (Your Sentimental Lie) (6:10)
2. Silence (7:13)
3. Singularity (3:33)
4. Alone In The World (11:04)
5. Ephemera (3:19)
6. Equally Flawed (6:09)
7. Calliope's Son (Don't Ever Look Back) (5:09)

A review: by Conor Fynes

4 stars 'Moments From Ephemeral City' - Caligula's Horse (8/10)

Progressive metal has seen something of a resurgence in recent years. Of course, the style never truly halted, but it's only been in the past few years where the fusion of prog and metal has been given a new, modern face to it. Caligula's Horse is a band that aptly defines where I think the sound is at nowadays; a draw of melodies, chunky Meshuggah-like rhythms and general response to modern trends in rock. Suffice to say, this Australian act is able to avoid many of the tired conventions that once had me turn my nose at the 'new' progressive metal coming out. Made even more impressive by the fact that this is more-or- less a one man operation, Caligula's Horse and its debut album will not feel out of place in any progressive metalhead's diet.

Perhaps best known as the guitarist of Quandary, Sam Vallen forged Caligula's Horse as an attempt to get the heavier side of his musical expression out. Although vocals are offered here by the talented Jim Grey, Vallen does everything on 'Moments From Ephemeral City', from the songwriting to recording. Though Caligula's Horse now has a full band to play this music in a live setting, the debut is mostly the product of one man, and had I not known that, I would never have guessed it. Though Caligula's Horse is the debut of what could be called an 'indie' act, it is expertly executed, and the composition is only enhanced by Vallen's modern recording and emotive musicianship. In regards to the style and sound of Caligula's Horse, the fellow prog metal squires in Haken came to mind. There is a healthy acknowledgement of modern prog rock in Caligula's Horse, and the metal element of the band's sound comes out less than I would have expected. Regardless, moments such as the chugging climax to 'The City Has No Empathy' make Vallen's allegiances clear, drawing from the Meshuggah-conceived style now commonly known as 'djent'.

The composition is quite varied, ranging from Dream Theater-like instrumental fury to jazzy breaks and epic prog swells. 'Moments Of Ephemeral City' is graced by the fact that each song manages to stay significant and distinct from one another, although it was somewhat disappointing that there was never the same emotional intensity and flow of songwriting after the excellent opener. Jim Grey's vocal work is a very welcome addition to the sound of this band, giving another dimension to the sound through his smooth, even jazz-like vocal delivery. Through the heavier sections and soft observations, his voice fits the mood perfectly. Caligula's Horse leaves me wanting more of their music, although it would be even better to hear them explore their metal side more, which I felt was a little underdeveloped on the record. Regardless, 'Moments From Ephemeral City' is a great modern prog record, brimming with memorable musical themes and consistent execution. I have high hopes for this band in the future.

The Music

Listen to them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSGxv0_wBE

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 03 2013 at 03:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 03:58
Chaos Divine

Chaos Divine picture

The Band:
Perth Progressive Metal band Chaos Divine Are a mixture of Scandinavian Death Metal and melodic Katatonia. Type O Negative springs to mind with the style but Chaos Divine have their own enimitable style. 

The band released their debut EP 'Ratio' in 2006 and followed up with the full length 2008 album 'Avalon'. In 2011 'The Human Connection' was released.

Band members are 

- Dave Anderton / Vocals
- Simon Mitchell / Guitar
- Ryan Felton / Guitar
- Michael Kruit / Bass 
- Ben Mazzarol / Drums 

EP:

Chaos Divine Ratio album cover

The Albums:

Chaos Divine Avalon album cover

1. Contortion (5:14)
2. Our Delusion (4:55)
3. Refuse The Sickness (5:07)
4. Avalon (5:25)
5. Cages (4:59)
6. Brand New Eyes (3:48)
7. The Carnal Thirst (6:55)
8. Rapture (5:35)
9. Narcosis (4:12)
10. Alone In The Sky (3:48)

Chaos Divine The Human Connection album cover

01. One Door (6:18) 
02. At The Ringing Of The Siren (5:03) 
03. The Beaten Path (6:28) 
04. Chasing Shadows (6:39) 
05. Beautiful Abyss (6:42) 
06. Silence (5:54) 
07. Invert Evolution (4:40) 
08. Astral Plane (6:12) 
09. No Road Home (Solastalgia) (12:15)

The Music:
Listen to them here!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 07:51
The Church

coming soon...
fusaka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 08:01
Aragon was pretty good back then. The production is probably quite dated now I guess (fake drums)... 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 03:04
The Church

The Church pictureheyday 1

the church 1

The Band:
The Church celebrated their 30th Anniversary and continue to thrive releasing albums and touring as one of Australia's great prog related bands. They were a very influential band in the 80s with the smash hit "The Unguarded Moment", "Almost With You", and "Tantalized" among other singles. They have a distinctive unique guitar sound that have made them a very endearing artist over the years and have released a plethora of successful albums. Their lyrics are thought provoking and Steve's vocal style is deeply reflective and emotive. The band received their induction into the 2010 ARIA Hall of Fame and continue to flourish live and in the studio. 

Band members include Steve Kilbey, Peter Koppes, Tim Powles, Marty Willson-Piper
Nick Ward (1980-81), Richard Ploog (1982-90), Jay Dee Daugherty (1990-93).

The latest album of 2009 "Untitled #23" has the following lineup:
- Steve Kilbey / vocals and bass
- Peter Koppes / guitar and keyboards
- Marty Willson-Piper / guitar
- Tim Powles / drums, percussion

The Albums:

Of Skins And Heart, Too Fast For You EP 1981, The Blurred Crusade, Sing Songs EP 1982, Seance 1983, Remote Luxury EP, Persia EP 1984, Heyday 1985, Starfish 1988, GoldAfternoon Fix 1990, Priest = Aura 1992, Sometime Anywhere, Somewhere Else 1994, Magician Among The Spirits 1996, Hologram Of Baal, b*****d Universe 1998, A Box Of Birds 1999, After Everything Now This, Parallel Universe 2002, Forget Yourself 2003, Beside Yourself, El Momento Descuidado, Jammed 2004, Back With Two Beasts 2005, Uninvited Like The Clouds 2006, El Momento Siguiente 2007, Shriek: Excerpts From The Soundtrack 2008, Coffee Hounds EP, Pangaea EP, Operetta EP, Untitled #23 2009.

Singles and EPs:
2.50 | 2 ratings
Numbers
3.09 | 2 ratings
Coffee Hounds
4.00 | 1 ratings
Pangaea

Studio albums:
3.00 | 9 ratings
Of Skins And Heart
3.03 | 14 ratings
The Blurred Crusade 
2.60 | 5 ratings
The Church
3.71 | 11 ratings
Seance
2.60 | 8 ratings
Remote Luxury 
3.00 | 11 ratings
Heyday
3.30 | 22 ratings
Starfish
2.85 | 17 ratings
Gold Afternoon Fix 
2.93 | 5 ratings
A Quick Smoke At Spot's 
3.97 | 22 ratings
Priest = Aura 
3.34 | 12 ratings
Sometime Anywhere 
3.47 | 12 ratings
Magician Among The Spirits
3.89 | 11 ratings
Hologram Of Baal 
3.02 | 7 ratings
A Box Of Birds 
3.50 | 4 ratings
Magician Among The Spirits Plus Some
3.15 | 11 ratings
After Everything Now This 
3.98 | 20 ratings
Forget Yourself
2.57 | 8 ratings
El Momento Descuidado
2.75 | 4 ratings
Back With Two Beasts
3.59 | 13 ratings
Uninvited Like The Clouds
3.25 | 4 ratings
El Momento Siguente
3.00 | 4 ratings
Shriek: Excerpts From the Soundtrack
3.71 | 9 ratings
Untitled #23

The Music:

Listen to them here!

live rehearsal

a proggy one

another video clip

Aria performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFGjiZ9H3Pw

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 08 2013 at 03:16
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 03:40
Circles
Circles picture

The Band:

Circles are a tech/ extreme prog band formed by vocalist Perry, guitarist Ted, guitarist Matty, bassist Drew, and drummer Dave. They do not mention their second names on both their studio releases. They began things with a debut demo "Prelude" in 2010, that was a djent-based melodic progressive metalcore album. The synth soundscape makes the music specifically distinct from other djent bands. After a hiatus from the studio the band released a 2011 EP "Compass" that made an impact on the prog metal fanbase. They have influences from Between the Buried and me, Tesseract and Protest The Hero. 

The EPs:
4.00 | 1 ratings
Prelude
4.79 | 5 ratings
The Compass

The Music:
Listen to them here!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:02
Cosmic Nomads

Cosmic Nomads picture

The Band:

Cosmic Nomads are a 5-piece heavy prog rock band from Melbourne, and originally formed in Sydney in 2003. The founder was the keyboardist who bangs a mean Hammond, and also sings and is the main songwriter, Ray Vanderby. In 1991 he won the WROC/BMG Australian National Songwriting competition. Vanderby's influence is classical music and the 70s English progressive rock scene. The current line-up is Melbourne based but the debut album 'Make Love Not War' in 2004 was with Sydney based artists. The follow-up in 2007 was 'Vultress' the third album in 2008 was 'Millennium'. This has folk nuances and classical music textures. They are a 7 piece on the live stage with 2 female backing singers making up the sound. 

The Albums:

3.00 | 1 ratings
Make Love Not War
3.33 | 13 ratings
Vultress
3.88 | 6 ratings
Millennium

The Music:

Listen to them Here!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 08 2013 at 04:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:27
Ben Craven

Ben Craven picture

Ben Craven is an Australian composer and multi-instrumentalist that became popular in 2005 with his first solo album "Two False Idols" and he called the band name Tunisia on this release, later to change it to his own name.  e plays and sings everything on it and it is a remarkable achievement. This was followed up by the 2011 album "Great and terrible Potions", notable for having some striking Roger Dean artwork on the album cover. In 2007 he issued the EP "Under Deconstruction" as a free download, in order to protest against the music industry, who at the time were obsessed with DRM-protection of music sold. The music is Crossover prog with influences from Bare Naked Ladies and David Bowie to name a few. The music is heavy guitar, acoustics, lengthy keyboard solos and melodic vocals with very odd time sigs and progressive structures.

The Albums:
3.92 | 5 ratings
Two False Idols (as Tunisia)
3.79 | 40 ratings
Great and Terrible Potions

The EP:

Ben Craven Under Deconstruction album cover

The Music:

Listen to him Here!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 08 2013 at 04:30
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:39
Cybotron
Cybotron picture

The Band:

The cool thing about this band is that the debut album was one of the albums that really impacted me as a child, "Monster Planet" from 1975. The electro drone and spacey synths dominate throughout and there are some wacky ideas coming through as the "monster planet ate the sun". This is an iconic album that still packs a punch with crazy saxophone squeaks, buzzing synths, twittering moogs and deep bass textures, along with Jim Keays' echoing vox. The album was followed up by "Cybotron" in 1976, "Colossus" in 1978, and finally "Implosion" in 1980. 
The name Cybotron is derived as a hybrid of Klaus Schultze's "Cyborg" album, that influenced Braund. The use of the Mellotron was added as Tron in the name title, and the word 'cyclotron'. It represented half man, half machine, and has the german motorik feel of Krautrock. The influences are obvious with Tangerine Dream, Amon Duul II, early Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Ash Ra Temple and early Kraftwerk. 

The line up has varied beginning with the "Monster Planet" debut:  

- Steve Maxwell Von Braund / synthesisers, alto saxophone
- Geoff Green / lyricist
- Gil 'Rats' Matthews / drums, bass guitars
- Jim Keays 'The Boy From The Stars' / vocals
- Henry Vyhnal / electric violin

The last album featured a different lineup:

- Steve Braund / keyboards, synthesisers, alto saxophone
- Mark Jones / bass
- Gil 'Rats' Matthews / drums, guitars, keyboards, synthesisers

The Albums:
4.50 | 2 ratings
Monster Planet (Steve Maxwell Von Braund)
2.46 | 5 ratings
Cybotron
3.27 | 12 ratings
Colossus
2.64 | 5 ratings
Implosion

A review:

from my Aussie friend....

Colossus
Cybotron Progressive Electronic

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother 
Collaborator Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

3 stars Australia's Cybotron are an instrumental synthesizer heavy band, who played spacey and repetitive electronica-tinged prog, with an interesting combination of live acoustic and programmed percussion. Taking many elements from German acts like Ashra, Eloy and Tangerine Dream, without ever blatantly ripping them off, the Melbourne band's 1978 album `Colossus' displays plenty of infectious energy, enthusiasm and is packed with top playing and great arrangements.

Considering they're from my home town, it's surprising that I ignored this album for many years! The simple reason is my vinyl LP cover is torn and in terrible condition, so it was kind of off-putting and not pleasant to look at! Fortunately the LP itself is in good condition! But I'll be reviewing the compact disc version, which has a very controversial history that I'll explain later.

After a very spacey and programmed intro with a great build, the title track `Colossus' features a highly unusual treated saxophone blowing away, floating between synths and rattling percussion. Keyboard solos swirl around, stomping drums pounds away - drummer Colin Butcher is relentless on this track! Electronic effects punch through, before a very symphonic finale. It's got quite an upbeat tempo! What a way to start the album! Much of it wouldn't have sounded out of place on a 70's Eloy album.

The ten minute epic `Eclipse' has almost three minutes of killer synth solos and more top drum work - total overkill, yet everything a prog fan could wish for! Very epic and grand, before a nice transition into a floaty middle with phasing effects and a near total fade out. By this point, we're lost in a liquid word of electronic ambience, before a sudden rush back into more synthwork and heavy drums. It's very disorientating and repetitive, creating a very dizzy and overwhelming sensation. Listen to all the maddening keys cut in and out, twirling around, phasing into oblivion, the militaristic percussion leaving you exhausted. An amazing piece, lots of drama and mood here, and killer playing by the band.

Tangerine Dream fans will love `Medusa', a darkly ambient and programmed spacey synthscape. After an ethereal and majestic opening, it develops into a hypnotic, eerie, and trance-like piece. There's driving, almost tribal percussive beats that gradually build in tension throughout the heavily sequenced piece, and it's full of rapturous synth solos. What sounds like a flute near the end creates a very meditative tone. Worth grabbing the album for this one alone.

Processed sax, thick synth stabs, and furious drumming storm through `Raga In Asia Minor'! It's certainly more upbeat than the previous piece, with some faster rocking sections and slower atmospheric moments. It's also extremely repetitious, but sure to get your head nodding in approval or foot tapping along. Very catchy and easy to listen to!

Be aware, the album is available on CD, along with a download version, but bafflingly both contain only a 6 minute version of the final track, with about ten minutes cut out of the original! I have absolutely no idea what the thinking was behind this. Instead, they included a shorter remix of the title track (mostly pointless) and a bonus track `Ride' which is an another short but effective Tangerine Dream/Klaus Schulze-like sequenced piece - decent but nothing that hasn't already been done perfectly well already on the original album. As mentioned above, I do have an original vinyl copy, and within a few weeks I'll have access to a vinyl/USB convertor, so I plan on transferring the album across to MP3 so I can properly listen to and review the full length `Raga In Asia Minor'. I'll then update this review accordingly.

A short and sweet album, there's really not a bad moment on it, certainly no filler tracks. Perhaps there's not a lot subtlety or depth, but the album sounds amazing on a superficial level. Endless thick keyboards, varied drumming/percussion, inventive programming and effective sax. Some would likely complain that many of the tracks are a little repetitive, but that's missing the point! The album artwork, though a little amateur, is kind of deceptively cool, with the vinyl version revealing a lot mode hidden interesting details than on first glace.

In the end, `Colossus' is probably not a hugely important progressive album in the big scheme of things, but the players in Cybotron can be proud in the fact that they put out several high quality albums, with frequent moments of true originality and real greatness.

Three and a half stars really!

The Music:
Wrap Your ears Around this!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 08 2013 at 05:21
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:40
I will get back to this project later - hope you are enjoying it thus far

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 08 2013 at 05:37
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:51
Great work as always Scott! Cool to see my review there, which reminds me I wrote in it I was going to transfer that Cybotron LP onto a USB stick! I did finally get that USB turntable, but it transfers it at 128 kb as a default, and you can't make it any better quality, really put me off using it too.

Oh, I can't speak highly enough about that Ben Craven album, first class, grand and melodic symphonic prog that fans of the Flower Kings might really got for, and he's even a great vocalist as a bonus lol! I bought the LP copy that looks amazing on the larger format!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 05:43
Thanks Aussie! I was glad to be reunited with such a terrific Kraut influenced artist as Cybotron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>